What can Veeky Forums tell me about the Christian Dark Ages?

What can Veeky Forums tell me about the Christian Dark Ages?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qQbZNSEbYFk
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatepe_eruption
amazon.com/Christian-Muslim-Relations-Bibliographical-History-Relations/dp/900416975X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475268427&sr=8-1&keywords=christian-muslim relations volume 1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They weren't an optimal time, but there was no "gap" except for maybe a small period after the fall of the ERE and some wars, famines, and plagues here and there.

I'm all fields there was slow and steady progress being made.

I'm not a theist, but "le Christianity held civilisation back" meme needs to die.

Stop responding to the troll post, you fucknut

>something as vague as "scientific advancement" being numerically quantifiable
>scientific advancement occurred in only those regions at those times
>le christians hate science maymay in full force despite Rome being christian for a significant chunk of its time labelled on that chart

That chart gives me an aneurysm every time I see it. As for the "Dark Ages" themselves, they were in many ways way better than you've probably heard and in other ways just as shit as you've probably heard.

Do you have any literature? My roommate keeps coming at me with the whole, "Islam protected knowledge from Antiquity and Christian nations fell behind" shit and I'd like to put it to bed if you think that's possible.

Particularly in the medical field. He keeps mentioning how Christianity made people think diseases were caused by the devil and prayer could cure them, etc.

>Late Rome = Christian
>Renaissance = Christian
>Enlightenment = Christian (Protestant)
>Somehow the vacuum left by Rome and filled by tribal Barbarian raiders is Christianity's fault
???

>Islam protected knowledge from Antiquity
Kind of true. Their so-called Golden Age was when they plagiarized/translated Greek literature from 800 to 1000+ years prior.

youtube.com/watch?v=qQbZNSEbYFk

>complaining about the "christian dark ages" when we're still living in the post-Hyperwar dark age

Fuck off with this retarded meme.

Which one, the Finno-Korean meme or the Christian dark ages meme? Both are equally fake.

Let me guess unlike the Islamic Golden Age, the Christian Golden Age aka Renaissance was not just a mere plagiarization of Greek literature. And if you tell it was just the foundation then you have to explain why it wasnt just the foundation in the Islamic Golden Age too.

The dark ages were caused 100% by barbaric Muslim savages doing slave raids and killing Nordic intellectuals and traders.

Woah who'd have thought that intellectual ideas build upon previous ideas woah

The Islamic world was significally more advanced in the field of medicine untill around the 13th Century. However, this was neither due to religious backwardness of Christians nor special knowledge on the part of the muslims. The problem was that most texts in the medical field (especially Galen and Hippocrates) were only available in Greek, the knowledge of which was lost for the most part in Western Europe after the schism with the Greek Church a few Centuries before. After coming into closer contact with the muslim world, the West began to assimilate their medical advances, and classical Greek text became more readily available, often as Latin translations of Arabic translations of the Greek sources.

Wow, his points about Hinduism are absolutely retarded. It's almost like he doesn't know anything about the religion. Hinduism has been famously on the side of science and philosophy for its entire existence.

He'd probably say something like, 'the renaissance was a refounding of Western science and philosophy while the Islamic golden age merely copied Western intellectual traditions.'

Thank you.

Why didn’t the West get the knowledge of the Greeks themselves? And why are the Greeks not considered Christians?

>"Christian Dark Ages"
>Not collapse of the Roman civilization by the Germans
All the backwards stuff like trial by ordeal people associate with Dark Age Christianity was actually Germanic culture.

Had the Barbarians or Islam not eroded the Roman Empire, we'd be 1000 years more advanced.

Does this mean that the ERE was advanced medically?

Essentially, there was little contact with the greek world after the sixth or seventh century. Though formally there wasn't an official schism between the Eastern and Western Church until the middle of the 11th Century, the two had virtually broken off all contact since a few Centuries before that, mainly over dogmatic issues like the role of the Eucharist. Basically, the two became separate Churches with very little exchange of information between the two, which eventually lead to a loss of knowledge of (classic) Greek. There were, however, a few exceptions to this such as John Scotus Eriugena (not to be confused with John Duns Scotus), a 9th Century Irish Monk who learned Greek from an unknown source.

Medical Knowledge in areas under Muslim rule was mostly spread by Greek scholars that lived roughly in the area of modern day Syria and Jordan, who were allowed to continue and spread their expertise after the Muslims conquered the area. Until around the twelth Century, the Islamic rulers were fairly flexible with adapting non-islamic (philosophical) thought, which unfortunately changed afterwards, influenced in no small part by Al Ghazali. Christianity, on the other hand, remained open to incorporating non-Christian thought (see the massive influence of Greek neoplatonism and Aristotelianism, as well as Arab philosophers like Avicienna and Averroes, though none of these influences were incontroversial), which led to them catching up and afterwards overtaking their Arab counterparts. Constantinople was one of the centers of Medical research, so it can be assumed the ere as a whole was advanced in the early Middle Ages compared to Europe.

Just an atheist meme. also saged.

It's Protestant meme they invented to smear Catholics.

>Christian
>Dark
>Ages

>What can Veeky Forums tell me about the Christian Dark Ages?
Never happened.

While Europe was in it's "Christian dark ages", scientific progress continued to be forwarded by Byzantine (and to a lesser extent, the Arab world)

The dark ages we're not exactly a high point in the history of western civilization, but progress was not put on hold because of them. The Academics simply decided to ride it out somewhere else

>capcha; Mohammed webs

>While Europe was in it's "Christian dark ages", scientific progress continued to be forwarded by Byzantine (and to a lesser extent, the Arab world)

The Arab world was more prolific than the Byzantines

>The Arab world was more prolific than the Byzantines
In what field?

Medicine, for sure but what else?

SOMEBODY POST THE ALTERNATE GRAPHS

The one with "african proto kangdoms" is pretty great.

Why do you say medicine for sure?

Cheers. Do you have any sources? I'd like to read what you're reading.

unwashed Germanic shits destroyed Rome and are tasked with rebuilding it

they derp around for centuries until the Italians teach them how to be civilized, in which they repay them by sacking Rome again.

I like the one with the discover of fire. Wish I had saved it.

>WE WUZ ROMANS N GREEKS

How can the 14th century equivalent of a tumblr Afrocentrist have so much cultural influence on our historical perception until the modern day?

>entirety of medieval history is now defined as "christian"

kys and never come back thank you

It's a myth made up by renaissance guys who were jerking off on roman culture and wanted to push their political agenda.

>le science wasnt a thing during dark age meme
>le science only advances in Europe meme
How offensive :^)
Islamic golden age and china wants a talk with you.

The Christian Dark Ages happened after the white barbarians pillaged the ancient civilizations of old. Destroying irreplaceable knowledge, culture and philosophy.

Even worse is that they have fabricated history to make it look like those civilizations were white.

Either way, the white boy made the cultures and world as a whole better. Best to just assume the continuation of Western culture that the white man is doing right now is a legitimate continuation instead of a theft.

Almost all of white history is theft. They fabricated pretty much all of it.

The Renaissance was pretty shit intellectually, the high middle ages (Oresme, the Merton School, Ockham, Buridan, etc) and the early modern period ( Galileo,Newton, Leibniz, etc) was where all the real intellectual development occurred. The Renaissance itself was incredibly regressive and anti-intellectual.

In reality it was the lack of a strong Catholic church with strong secular allies which corresponded to the actual dark ages. Once Charlemagne started uniting Europe under the HRE the dark ages were over. The Renaissance and the Reformation were really dark times intellectually and saw the weakening of the church as well. When the Catholic Counter Revolution came about in the 16th century and Catholic Scholasticism was brought back the way was paved for the scientific revolution of the early modern period to come about through a return to academic rigor, paired with the new experimental discoveries made through alchemy during the Renaissance.

Sure. Most of my info comes from various anthologies and histories of Medieval Philosophy that I needed for some background research.

Some decent starting points are Anthony Kenny's History of Western Philosophy (Book II), Routlesge's History of Islamic Philosophy, Peter Adamson's Very Short Introduction of Islamic Philosophy and (if you read German, don't think it was translated) Kurt Flasch's Das Philosophischen Denken im Mittelalter von Augustin bis Machiavelli, which is probably the most balanced introduction to Medieval philosophy.

Unfortunately I'm not at home right now, so I don't have access to all my books, otherwise I could give you a few more titles. I'll post a few more if the thread's still alive in a few days.

>monks often responsible for storing knowledge from the roman empire and shit
>monestaries played a key role in proliferation of practical technology suchs as various forms of mills and water works
>fucking church and chrisjuns ruining muh progress

Enlightenment = Christian
enlightement doesn't originate from england as you may forget it

>strawmanning this hard

God lol

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatepe_eruption

Cheers.

Abdul is mad

OMG IT IS MEME GRAPH TWO POINT OH

IMPLYING (((RIGORLESS)))

LINEAR TYPE MODULAR PROGRESSION BASED ON ARBITRARY DELINEATION

LOTS OF NEGATIVE SPACE

IT HAS EVERYTHING

>IMPLYING (((RIGORLESS)))
It was literally a bishop that pointed out Leibniz/Newton's calculus lacked rigor.

>"Islam protected knowledge from Antiquity and Christian nations fell behind
lol, funny. Tell him various Caliphs commissioned wise and learned Bishops to translate the works into Arabic along with apologetic debates between the two religions. Islam did nothing to preserve these works and thought them a mere curiosity, at best.
Books? Read the following:
>Christian-Muslim Relations: A Bibliographical History
amazon.com/Christian-Muslim-Relations-Bibliographical-History-Relations/dp/900416975X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475268427&sr=8-1&keywords=christian-muslim relations volume 1

>Christian Dark Ages

bump

Protestantism is just a form of atheism where God remains as a constitutional monarch.

kek

Good time for Muslims

It wasn't so dark, Islam reached its golden age and learned so much knowledge. They brought back greek philosophy and gave us medical practices that would be used for ages to come and poetry too. Also here is me irl.

It wasn't so dark, Islam reached its golden age and learned so much knowledge. They brought back greek philosophy and gave us medical practices that would be used for ages to come and poetry too. Also here is a cool pic.

Sorry accidental double post due to technical issues sorry!!

How did greeks come up with their own ideas?

Homeless people pestering teachers.

it was dark until they brought the Greeks back, then they slowly started to see the light again.

This graph is shit.

fify

:)

high res

>H
>R
>E