Why are aftermarket steering wheels like pic related allowed...

Why are aftermarket steering wheels like pic related allowed? They remove the necessary life saving airbag and also disrupt the natural handling and performance of the car. I wish we could ban them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4wMog93zd1g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In a best case scenario, an airbag increases the likelihood of survival of about 1% when used with seat belts. They decrease it considerably when used without seat belts. With the Takata airbag scandal going on now, it's safer to not have an airbag to have one now.
>took the bait

>t. not an engineer

How does that affect anything I've said? You don't need to be an engineer to notice that airbags are launching metal fucking shrapnel at people.

>In a best case scenario, an airbag increases the likelihood of survival of about 1% when used with seat belts.
What

Fuck me, I remember reading an article saying that, can't find it now. With a little search, it's 20%, a reasonable increase form my autistic number, but still too low for my liking.

I stand by what I said still, airbags make me quite nervous and I would rather see them removed from my car then end up like this.

They aren't allowed in Australia.

why do you care what people do with their lives if it doesn't affect you?
even if it's more dangerous it's not your business so fuck off

>owning a car new enough to come with airbags

But seriously my MR2 came with one of those "drift" steering wheels and it was so shit. Luckily my friend gave me his old stock one which is btw very high quality so I don't know why you would want to swap it with cheap Chinese shit.

Also they are almost always smaller which ruins steering feel and sensitivity.

I'm a libertarian and I agree with this, but
Deliberately removing airbags is a dumb idea. Just get them replaced if this takata shit bothers you. Maybe not in the late 90s shitheaps most of Veeky Forums drives, but in more modern cars, the rest of the car is engineered to have the airbag in the equation (crumple zones, heights etc). Furthermore, vehicles are designed to not deploy airbags unless in a serious crash.

I'm all for dumb fuckwits dying out of choice, but fuck me you're a daft cunt if you seriously think removing a functioning airbag is better than having one. Just replace the fucking takata piece of shit.

related:
youtube.com/watch?v=4wMog93zd1g

my car doesn't have airbags in the steering wheel

thats why they are banned in germany.

Good. I wish they would ban them here too

air bag's and seat belt's are the biggest cucking you can possably get in you're car

>Why are aftermarket steering wheels like pic related allowed?

Various non street legal modifications exist because of a technicality that allows them to be used "offroad use only" or "private property use only". For example, if you own a huge ranch, you can drive something there that is normally not street legal.

>You don't need to be an engineer to notice that airbags are launching metal fucking shrapnel
All airbag explosion launch debris, but the insulation plus the highly durable airbag stops that debris from reaching the people. In cases where the explosion profile was changed due to moisture+age, the debris could puncture the bag and reach the people causing harm (most cases) or even death (the few cases noted).

For defenders of airbags that keep on citing how few people are killed, please note that the vast majority of incidents do not result in death. They just have injury like a piece of metal gouges out the side of your face. No death there. Or an eye is put out. No death there. The vast majority of defective airbags don't kill you. They just give you an injury.

Takata cleverly cheated the customers (the car makers) by negotiating with the easily fooled government to have a staged delayed recall. That gave Takata time to protect its financial assets by disbursing them. For core items and IP, it then sold them to a Chinese company (which are hard to sue). The remainder Takata company then declared bankruptcy. The cost of the airbag recall is thus transferred to the car companies who have to pay for the recall if Takata doesn't.

>I wish they would ban them here too
They probably are for street use. For example, light bars are on lots of trucks, and those are banned for street use but can be used off public roads. Motorcycles can have tires that are banned for street use but are allowed to be used off public roads.

>I don't like these things, therefore nobody should have them
Fucking liberals

>For defenders of airbags that keep on citing how few people are killed, please note that the vast majority of incidents do not result in death.
Same for detractors. With an airbag the injuries you get in a crash are much less serious.

Do this many people really not know what a collapsible hub is?

It's definitely not as safe as an airbag but if you have one you're not going to end up with a half crescent indented on your forehead.

>Why are aftermarket steering wheels like pic related allowed?
Because somebody is willing to pay somebody else money to make them. What do you mean "allowed"? It's a steering wheel.
>They remove the necessary life saving airbag and also disrupt the natural handling and performance of the car.
Airbags are neither necessary nor life saving. Seatbelts do the lion's share of the work in saving lives during a crash.
>I wish we could ban them.
I wish I had a million dollars but I never get that either. If you're really that butthurt about other people's choices become a politician.

no they don't thats why they buy NRG quick release hubs and when they crash they get fucked in the ass

it's kinda logical. i mean, airbag basically holds your head in place so you won't strain your neck in the impact, but that's it. Thing that holds you in place is the seatbelt. Not to mention that badly timed airbag would probably kill you instead of helping.

There is a reason why airbags are never used in any form of race cars.

idk why people bother with quick release hubs in anything but a racecar where you actually need to remove the wheel to get out of the car easily. id rather have a collapsible hub that i have to bolt the wheel to, besides its not like my 20 year old shitbox is going to do much to protect me in a crash.
The only injuries ive ever sustained in car accidents have been from airbags or whiplash.

>airbag basically holds your head in place so you won't strain your neck in the impact,
I dont think so. The airbags are there to help minimize the shock your body experiences when coming to a stop very quickly. The very action of getting jerked by the seatbelt is enough to cause injuries or break ribs, the airbag is just there to stop your head from getting cracked in half by the dashboard, or to stop your arms, legs and pelvis from shattering while getting t-boned.

Wrong.

Fuck off, people own their cars and themselves, let them do whatever they fucking want with them. I hate living inside the EU already with all these shit car related regulations, fuck nanny states.

It's a shame you don't actually believe this, otherwise you'd have a good chance of voluntarily removing yourself from the gene pool.

You cannot remove a factory fitted airbag for road use.

>tfw been in an insane crsh before bu tthe airbags didnt deploy

>all trims of every car ever made came with airbags

>posting pic of steering wheel designed in pre-airbag era

There are zillions of classic cars that can use those wheels legally and with no safety detriment.

Did the same boomer that told you that also tell you to not wear seatbelts so you can be "thrown clear" of a wreck?

why do give a shit about other people go home and sit in your hamster ball you saftey bubble fag

Maybe in whatever communist Euro country you live in.

I removed the airbag in my FD to fit a quick release hub and drive it on the road.

>1%
>20%
>reasonable increase
HAHAHAHA

you typed all of that just to have nobody care.

I have a right to risk my life and possibly end it.

The only reason seatbelts exist is to prevent my corpse from landing on your windshield.

Once you've had at least one child, even with a random whore in a different country, you're good to die.

They are not dangerous.
If you use them with a full harness helmet (and optional head restraint.)

why the hell would you need a airbag?
learn to drive you filthy fucker

Yeah, I get it. I made a mistake.

I'm only human, not an Automated Fiat Advertising Bot.

The reason being, you don't typically get t-boned or head-oned or have any solid immovable objects to drive your car into on a track.