I want to wax my car, but have never done it before and am scared. How do you learn, Veeky Forums?

I want to wax my car, but have never done it before and am scared. How do you learn, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom
youtu.be/CFXfSBR5Q9w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This guy seems to know what he's doing.

youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom

>wax on
>wax off

Theres nothing more to it

the bottle will have instructions, its simple stuff.

only tip i can give you that isn't on the bottle is do circles so you dont get streaks.

Go to autozone, buy foam pads and microfiber cloths, claybar and quick detailer. Buy polish and a sealant wax, wash car very thoroughly, then spray quick detailer on small areas at a time, while its still wet with detailer apply VERY light pressure with claybar mostly letting the claybar do the work. After you're done removing contaminants from paint rinse off and dry. Now the waxing, start with applying polish to cut through paint with foam pads, small areas at a time because it dries fast, once it has dried a bit buff off with microfiber towels and move on to next section of car. Tapeup plastic trim because it's a pain in the ass to remove the wax from it. Once you're done with polish paint should look like new. This is where you apply the sealant to protect that look/finish. Apply sealant every 3 months and your car will stay looking good. Don't half ass it either, once you polish thoroughly it's just maintaining it easilly with washes and sealants, goodluck OP

This. watched most of his videos and he seems to actually know what he talks about. Doesn't shill his products as badly as the chemcial goys

Don't do it in little circles like your pic

Make sure to wash and dry the car before you start. A clean surface is important. If you really want to go the extra mile, use a clay bar between washing and waxing .

Will poolish get rid of scratches?

Nothing wrong with circles if it's been claybar'd amirite? I'd much rather worry how long that wax has been sitting on paint because it looks dry as fuck

Yes, is the OP your car? Post some pictures of paint if you can

No it's not my car. I wouldn't even think of putting that much effort into my car, I think the previous owner spraypainted the horizontal surfaces matte or all the paint has been stripped off and the vertical surfaces are dinged and scraped and scratched to all hell and back.

I'm asking for my mom's and dad's car. I want to make their cars look like new again as a present but they've got their fair share of scratches and scrapes. I'll grab a few pictures. Is this washing and waxing good for plastic bumpers too?

Waxing is only good for painted sections of car, not black trims or unpainted bumpers

It's best to avoid getting wax on plastic trim as it will dry white and ruin the look of the car.

ChrisFix has a very good video on it. You can see the difference it makes in the video, and it isnt too tedious. He even goes over clay barring, which is really worth doing.

youtu.be/CFXfSBR5Q9w

If you want to go the extra mile, he has another video on cleaning engine bays to make them look new, and it would really be a nice touch if it's for a present

What car?

The bumpers are painted plastic, that should be okay right?

Perfect, that's the kind of guide that I'm looking for. Thanks user.

Painted bumper is ok to wax

No problem, I'm planning on doing it to my car later this week too. I'm not gonna claybar because I did back in April when the snow melted.

ChrisFix has a lot of stuff regarding car maintenance and cleaning, so more people taking care of their cars is worth shilling for. He also has one on scratch and paint scuff repair if your parents car is ran to shit

Mine is a 2003 Cavalier. Mom's is a 2010 Camry like pic related. Dad's is a 2010 Corolla.

They're not exactly stunners, I know, but my mom would really love seeing her dark green Camry look like the showroom model it was and my dad would just enjoy having a beer with me while I work on his car. I didn't get either of them anything for this year's mother's or father's day so I want to make it up to them.

cool

Yea he sounds like he knows his shit, I'll check it out. I'll probably use anything leftover for my windshield because it's gritty as hell.

Is that Chris Ray Gun?

He married his Mustang, not Laci Greene

Forgot to mention do the washing/waxing in afternoon, avoid direct sun

Don't do it the way pictured in your OP. Just do 1/4 of the hood at a time, and in a very thin layer, the less the better. If the wax dries out then it will be hard to remove.

Additionally, keep a bottle of spray wax handy in case you do have to remove some dried up wax, or do some finishing buffing.

Yes this. Wash when the car is cool to the touch, under shade or in the evening, otherwise the water will evaporate and leave nasty water spots

Just do a good spray wax. It's impossible to fuck up

I miss my k8

>waxing a first gen neon