How much do you guys spend each year on maintenance? At what point do you consider getting another car...

How much do you guys spend each year on maintenance? At what point do you consider getting another car? I spend around 2k so far, 2000 4runner

um...well....pretty much whenever I just need an oil change or something, so not much?

Up to the depreciated value of the car when you intend to sell it divided by the number of years.

Between $300-1500 depending on what needs to be done. For example, this year I've spent $1300 between new tires and oil changes, but the previous year I only spent $500 on oil changes, trans/diff oil, coolant, and hoses. Next year I anticipate I'll need to do timing belt/water pump/spark plugs/valve cover gaskets, so I'm probably looking at a $1000 year.

Here's the thing - all cars need maintenance. It makes no sense to sell my car should a $1000 repair pop up, because I'll just fix it and go on for another 1-3 years before the next expensive repair. There's no guarantee that spending $5000-10000 or more on a different car won't bring on a whole new set of potentially expensive problems.

Only poorcucks and idiots buy a different car because repair costs exceed its "value." It's pretty much always more economical to keep a shitbox running than it is to replace it unless the whole car is pretty much fucked front to back.

About $11 a week on the walmart 5qt oil jugs because I leak one of those in that time span. Otherwise nothing besides gas and the occasional cheap part I happen to come across at the local salvage yard

>the longer you want to keep the car the less you can spend on it per year.
Even if you were claiming you can spend the depreciation on it every year you wind up paying the entire cost of the car in maintenance at some point.

>At what point do you consider getting another car?

Its a feeling
When it happens, you know that its just over.

About $500 or so last year. However in gas alone I spent over $3000 in gas.

$200/year
2011 Audi A4

Helps when your work and house are right off of highway exits.

jesus christ dude

Pizza Delivery driver here.

i spent 13k last year

but that is maintenance and gas as well as the two $1600 car purchases

>5qt/week
is this your engine?

about 50 bucks so far, i changed the oil and only paid for a filter because my dad hoards oil and let me use a jug
i smell a big suspension job coming soon tho all four springs creak on bumps

You could fix the leaks for less than the $500/year you spend on shitty oil.

it would be cheaper to for you buy a refurbished engine for it.

I need to fix a vacuum leak but I don't have any tools nor do I have funding to buy any so I'm going to take it to my mechanic. That'll be another $100 at least.

Over $1000 a month on maintenance? If that's true you need to drop that shit pronto

im trying to get a new job lol

What is that as % of your net pay? I had a job once where commuting was like 30% of the net pay. It helped me land my next job but it was shit.

Do you love the car? If so, never.

On my 3k civic I spent around 3k in repairs over 3 years. A/c compressor, steering rack, various suspension components, window regulator, etc...

2000 CRV.

Last month, 40 on oil and spent 100 on a new driver side front strut. Car doesn't owe me anything, drove it over 5000 miles in the past two months.

I like my car but I'll be honest it's an old shitbox sold by the millions for pennies and as long as the engine runs and the wheels turn I couldn't give less of a fuck beyond typical oil changes and washes in terms of repair. Once the frame rot (which is bad) causes a failure I'm selling it for scrap. I bought it for $1500 and there's no way I plan on putting money into it nor keeping it for more than two years.

At best it'll become a hand-me-down to my brother.

That's something I always wrestle with. I don't "love" my car but I like it a lot more now than when I first brought it. I want to fix it up but there are some many issues with it I don't even want to bother. When I got the car it was fucked up, needed work all over the place. Plus I just found out recently I'm suppose to have the driveshaft lubicated when I get a oil change, have no clue how much that costs. Shit sucks tho because I'm broke and can't afford another car anyway.

I've had my car longer than I've had my wife. I don't think I'm selling it. I've heard far to many stories of "I sold the car I loved for almost nothing and i regret it."

I fixed your graph for you! :-D

Well it's definitely better than my last cat, which was literally breaking down almost monthly and costing me a fortune. But still, it's more than I wanted to spend to maintain that's for sure.

Itt Miata prices

i dont spend anything
i buy a used junker and then let it go for a few years until its run into the ground and then get another

36 $ oil this year, nothing more
>porsche cayman s

>Things that never happened

Indeed i forget a 22,64 $ filter and a 1,37 $ joint

I've owned a bike for less than a month. actual maintenance? 20 bucks for chain cleaner/lube. 65 bucks for engine oil (2 changes worth) and I have filters already. uhh, 40 bucks for fork oil seals and another 20 bucks for the fork oil.

Might as well lump bike stands and frame sliders in there. Looks like I'm in 250 in or so, but I also need to buy a battery.

I've used 3.5 gallons of oil in the last three months.

R u gay?

technically nothing, its on PCP with a service plan, though i technically pay for that through the lease agreement.

When i was a teenager my shitboxes were run on a shoestring, i used to spend about £20 on oil every 9 months when the tapping from the engine got too loud and i had to replace the brakes after they were worn down to the metal. Poorfag car enthusiast life was tough but that particular incident taught me perfect rev-matching downshifts and the value of engine braking.

On my fit? Oil change and filters.

On my RX8, which I use for track? I spend nearly 5k a year on it.

I've spent around a grand this year.

>Struts
>Tires
>Alignment and balance
>Brakes/Rotors
>Fluids
>Gaskets and rubber shit
>New valve cover for rear bank
>Plugs
>New O2 sensor
>New sunroof

i own a 20 y/o fiat, this year i replaced some shitty idling sensor for 10$ and changed the oil, das it

hehe'd

kek, so many boomers will hold on to their shitty cars because 'It'll be a classic one day!!!!!1!"