Trying to get the old car running. Rebuilt the carb and now it fires right up but it won't idle. It's a 2bbl Rochester...

Trying to get the old car running. Rebuilt the carb and now it fires right up but it won't idle. It's a 2bbl Rochester. What do?

Also,
Unused 15 year old radiator has a a hairline crack under the lower radiator hose, it's brass I think.
Do I bring it in for weld, buy a torch to do it myself, or jb weld it?

Epoxy that shit.

Adjust idle mixture screws and throttle screw, check timing and dwell

Swap for a 4 barrel set up.

Put a quadrajet on it

Nice 69 firebird

Carbs are cheap. I would buy a new one. You could waste hours dicking around on carburetors. Put on the new carb. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Make sure fuel system is clean.

You can use a plumbers solder kit to fix the radiator. Remove the radiator and drain it of all fluid and hoses, cap. Remove dirt, corossion, paint from the area to be repaired. Add flux, heat, and solder. It's easy. Just follow the directions and don't leave the torch in one spot longer than necessary. Also, post pics.

If you can afford a new radiator and carb, buy a new radiator and carb. Both of those will just give you headaches later at the wrong time in the wrong neighborhood. If you're on a budget (like we all are),take a look at the Summit carbs.

>inb4 le ls swap meme
Either buy a new 4 bbl carb or try different jet sizes.
Nice car though. How much was it?

What engine?

It's a 350 2bbl.
The carb was just rebuilt by a good carb shop. I got around to calling him today and we determined I backed the mixture screws out 1.5 turns but that doesn't work on today's fuel, he recommended 4 turns or so. Also I realized I'm missing the god damn choke actuator dealy. I'm an idiot, and I hate carbs.

I might switch to 4 bbl or try to swap in a 5.3 on the cheap. Goal number one is just to get it to move around the yard under its own power.

I know how to solder copper pipes, never occurred to me to try that here, ill give it a shot. The radiator is unused but ten years old.

Car was my mothers and has sat since 1988 or so. Didnt Gonna make it into a ratty driver after I trade the 14's for 17's and spend a couple grand on suspension and brakes.

Get rally rims they are the greatest looking rims of all time, also swap in a 455.

fix that rust first op

You guys are gonna love this. I was poking around for some solder and I found the choke mechanism, on the correct carb that was under my workbench. Carb I installed on the firebird was for my 4cyl boat.

Couldn't find solder, installed new carb. I couldn't figure out how to attach the throttle, seems like something is missing. Should I just get a tiny bolt for it or is there some kind of specific pin for this I can get.

Be careful if you try to solder the crack in your radiator. The water passages aren't welded onto the "side tanks" but only soldered. This means that if you apply too much heat to the radiator the solder holding the water passage will melt and create new leaks. If this happens, fixing those will be a huge pain since the water passages are so close to each other that fixing one without fucking up the others is insanely hard.

Opposite view

It seems as though the choke mechanism has a tube that goes into the manifold but it's broken. I don't know if I should try to keep it or get an electric choke.

You can't use anything that will prevent it from rotating. Usually these would be held on with a pin and either a c-clip or wire to keep it in place.

I was thinking a 60's trans am racer motiff

No

I can't find my solder, I might do epoxy. I'm not sure.

You should keep the wheels, body looks like it's in good condition though.

Fenders and quarter panels are all f'd unfortunately.

They used rally's in the trans am racing series m8.

just scrap that shitheap and buy a new car.

Kill yourself

/thread
>Carbs are cheap. I would buy a new one. You could waste hours dicking around on carburetors. Put on the new carb. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Make sure fuel system is clean.
also this

I have a new car.

You could probably just hold the choke closed until it gets warm enough to be open.

>after I trade the 14's for 17's

Are you a nigger? If not, keep the wheels it has now.

then just scrap that shitheap and call it a day.