Need a reliable comfy 4x4

So I'm switching careers soon and need a vehicle to suit. I currently do tree work for ~30k/y and drive a Miata to work. I just managed to get a gravy job supervising railroad work around the country for ~80k/y starting and the Miata won't cut it. I'll probably buy new from a stealership but don't know what I want. They didn't say I needed a specific kind of vehicle but I want something 4x4 that I can put slightly larger tires under (no lift) and that is comfortable enough that possible 12hr days won't suck ass. Reliability is most important Auto or manual doesn't matter, engine size doesn't matter, mpg doesn't matter (they pay .50+ per mile and $100 per day for a hotel). I was thinking possibly a Forerunner but the reviews look shitty on them.

Frontier Pro-4x with a 6-speed manual.

Hey Panda love your Miat. Haven't really heard anything about the Frontiers besides "Nissan a shit". Interiors usually suck on light duty trucks are those pretty decent?

Their interiors are their weakest part actually.

Their strengths are: smallish size, manual 4x4, optional manual 6-speed, great-sounding VQ-series 4L engine, and availablility of parts.

Ford F-350

Interior is kinda important since I'll be in it so much, I trust the VQ eventhough the early model are oil. I like everything else but more luxury would be nice.
I don't need to pull the damn train and my dick is above average. A 1500 will suffice, but Ford is the bottom of the big 3 to me. But Asians are known for their reliability.

Ram 1500
F-150
Silverado 1500

Anything else is going to be less comfortable. Just pick the one that looks best to you. I'd get a Silverado, because everybody here drives a Ram or F-150 (Yurop).

get a tacoma then, nissan sucks right now and their trucks especially suck. and no matter what Veeky Forums tells you ford>chevy>dodge

How about a Wrongler, OP?

>Dat top-down 6-speed RWD/4WD goodness... Almost makes me miss mine.

>reviews look shitty on the 4runner
what reviews are you watching? pretty much everyone likes the current one. I'd get a used land cruiser or lexus gx/lx. or you could get a diesel mercedes ml or gl.

>I'd get a used land cruiser or lexus gx/lx.
I was just going to suggest this, I have a '98 lx 470 with 300k+ miles that I've been using for a decade now, I'd say about a quarter of its life has been spent off roads, but the majority on the highway towing my work trailer.

I'm a bit biased, but if you want to be comfy, lexus is the way to go.

I've driven the 5th gen 4runner and they are fucking c o m f y user don't let some shit review steer you away from them.

not comfy. barely weather-sealed.

Okay, I'm just going to point something out here:

>Buying a 4x4 truck/SUV for comfort and long-distance driving just to appear manly to co-workers.

This is why the small car market is dying.

He said reliable

Touché.

3k used jeep

Get a 4Runner, comfy, reliable, manual transfer case, and it's got good mpg for a 4x4. It's also got amazing space, and can haul a good size trailer with no problem. They're fun to drive, body on frame, and have an amazing aftermarket.

The only thing keeping me from the tacoma is the fact that it has the same economy as the F150. Wtf is up with that?

toyota has been pretty slow to update their non-hybrid cars. its still a solid option despite that. if you want a mid-size truck, the colorado is also good and gets great mpg with the diesel engine

Are the colorado and tacoma both reasonably comfortable? I'm used to F150s and I know it won't be that spacious, but it'd be nice if they were comfy enough with acceptable legroom in the back for long trips.

Will you be doing any towing or hauling at all, OP? I hate to say it, but if you're not, get one of those Ridgelines.

they're fine for me but i've only been in the drivers seat and im 5'10. give em a test drive and see what suits you best.

Lada Niva, a real mans car

Buy three identical 2nd gen Cummins 2500s and just switch the plates and parts around as things break.

this

I had a '95 with 130k on it, one of the nicest trucks I ever owned.