What's it like to drive a RWD car in the snow that has good snow tires...

What's it like to drive a RWD car in the snow that has good snow tires? Is it fun or just as nerve wracking as driving with all-seasons in the snow?

used to be.
now everything has traction control &ESP and its easy

It's not bad if you got a lot of weight in the trunk and some sort of a locking diff. You'll be fucked if you go into a ditch tho or encounter a steep icy hill start.

With decent tires, and half a brain to not mash the throttle, you'll be okay.

I made it up 30 degree hills with bald tires in my miats, so it's just a matter of perseverance.

>just as nerve wracking as all seasons in snow

Not even close. If FWD with snows is 9/10, RWD with snows is 7/10

carry salt and cat litter with you. if you park on a incline youll be happy you did. and just go slow. and if its light mist and cold. i wouldnt go anywhere. i was in a flat parking lot once and i could by hand push my truck around.

>by hand push my truck around

I'm going to try this the next time it's really icy out

Drove around Norway for 3 years with a RWD Merc on really good tires. Firstt year I weighed the rear down, but the other two I didnt care. Never an issue unless the snow got so tall I'd beach

It's the closest thing to heaven.
Sideways for daaaaaays.

Slowspeed in snow is where you learn to manipulate the edge of control.

Basically low commitment drift practice.

This.

If you're afraid of driving in the snow then no car will be easy to drive when it's slippery, if you intentionally lose traction on snow in a RWD and constantly try to "drift" better and better just for fun, you'll eventually become a much more confident driver. After getting my license, winter has become my favorite time of the year, just throw in the welded diff in my volvo 240 and hit the icey roads.

If you have good tires and independent suspension you should be fine. My e46 (non awd version) is like a damn plow in the snow. I can't believe how well it handles. I attribute a lot of that to the continental extreme contact dws's. My sn95 mustang and civic I used to have were a nightmare in the snow however.

not fun over icy bridges in Austria at night... That was my only complaint. ( BMW 5 series).

My ranger is 2wd. With 3 or 4 sandbags in the back and snow tires on all four corners, it's loads of fun even with an open diff.

What the hell makes you believe suspension greatly affects traction? If you're talking about throttle oversteee or starting from a stop, that's more to do with weight distribution and the torque curve.

Literally counting the days until winter when I can. Put sandbags in the trunk of my miata and go full dorifito on the way back from work

holy shit people like this come to this board.

What, people who understand a damn thing about cars?

If you're a confident driver and can feather the throttle to correctly control the rear then youre set.

Protip: it will be even better with 4 snow tires, even better with studded in rear and snow in fro, and ultimate with 4 stuffed tires. A lot of people think having snow tires on just the drive wheels will make ten invincible but without the bite of snow ties on the non driven wheels you can easily get into trouble.

t. Snow tire shill

>snow tires on just the drive wheels
People do this?

I put glacial grip II's on the rear and I made it through two years of Maine winter fine. Spun in place in my driveway a few times cuz it's a slope but otherwise it was alright.

Mines the Charger in the middle.

i don't have rwd, but i bet it's a fucking bliss until you finally stop and realize that your engine is up front and there is no weight to support you from the rear while you're trying to move out of this ice parking place you stopped in

i could be wrong though, my fwd shitbox is all i have

i find is it easier to drive rwd in the snow with all driver aids off. if i leave stability control on im not as prepared to save the car when the rear starts to slip. also just more fun. anyone else?

it's not just more fun, aids are counter-productive in this kind of conditions
>brake without abs on icy road
>snow buildup on your front wheels, brake distance is still nasty but acceptable
>brake with abs on icy road
>abs won't allow you to lock wheels
>move forward over 100 meters while braking from 50 to 0