What's your favourite peroid of history?

What's your favourite peroid of history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Chartres_(911)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends on the region. In World History probably the Victorian Era.

Revolutionary Era (American and French)/Napoleonic Wars

Cold War Africa

Current Africa

This

9th or 10th century - 14th or 15th century
(europe)

Ancient Greece and the Roman republican era

Everything pre-1648.

colonial africa

medieval Europe

Victorian times.

French dominated England (1066-1485)

19th century

probably the only few times you can truly say the west is the best without getting into "muh glorious knights folded 1000 times" fanboyism.

Current year

Last few centuries BC. The glory that was Greece and be grandeur that was Rome.

Zhou and Han China were pretty cool as well.

fuck the west

anything before guns

runner up: late 19th/first half of 20th century Germany

Whenever Euros get too proud, rely on the German to knock them down.

The Rise of the Ottoman empire.

The last 200 years were PACKED with events.

This. And everything in the 20th century is journalism, not history.

and anything before Thucydides is religious myth not history

Last few centuries BC are pretty cool, there are a lot of pretty well documented cultural clashes. I do like even older history too, but it too often gets to a "no one can tell what happened here" dead end, which is sometimes frustrating, though the various theories people come up with to fill the blanks are a nice read.

>Cold War Africa
Thanksgiving 7

>Calling the Normans French

>"muh glorious knights folded 1000 times" fanboyism.
Are you like 90 years old? Where does this come up these days?

>Speak French
>Live by French culture
>Have over 70% French genetical admixture
>Not French

Remind me what is the Danish motto of England already?

Roman Empire 284-476 is always an emotional roller coaster. Obviously Alexander the Great and Napoleon's biographies.

They might currently have over 70% French admixture but they sure as fuck didn't back then. Try again dummy.

LATE ANTIQUITY
A
T
E

Are you trolling?
Rollo's son already had 50% of French admixture through his mom
William, seven generations (of interbreeding) later, may have had like 30% of Danish admixture left.

Nowdays, the few inhabitants of Nomandy who had an ancestror that lived there in the 1100s may have at most 0,05% of Danish admixture left

That's the nobility though. The same rules don't necessarily apply to the peasantry.

It mostly did in the case of the Normans
Very few Danish women moved there with them

The Interwar period doesn't get enough attention in my opinion, its a fascinating period of depression, hope, chaos, collapse, mourning, grief, and a lack of a sense of being at the "final stage of history" that democracy and communism and ultimately democracy monopolized (I'm democratic, but the idea that history from now on will just be the gradual transformation of the entire world to democracy is pretty boring) against a world that was unsure of itself, is simply fascinating, That it ends in a dramatic and saddening way with WW2, after the bright hopes at the start, just finishes it in making the Interwar one of the most tragic and haunting periods in history; there aren't many which counterpose such bright hopes and desires against such a saddening and depressing ending.

Instead people just care bout WW2, seeing it as something in of itself instead of as the summation of an era.

1970's Australia by far.

hellenistic antiquity

+1 for hellenistic antiquity

this, pretty much anything after Cyrus and before 80 BC

>said to originally be made of one contiguous piece of marble

1937-1945

East Asia around 1800- to modern day

how come? where are you from?

Ancient Egypt.

Me too

or, any time before the 90's was pretty much GOAT

I don't often say it, but I really think I was born in the wrong generation

So Rollo was half French that makes all the Norman's that way?

Look here stupid. That's not how it works.

Give me some evidence of that.

Now.

Medieval up to Napoleon

now, looking back no one will understand this era

It seems American schools don't like to cover much of the interwar period besides the depression, FDR's new deal, and roaring twenties.

They don't teach much about the European tensions of the era or the brief German communist civil war in 1919 that ended with a crippled and depressed Weimar Republic, ripe for Hitler's anti-Semitic and anti-communist uprising as the public saw the communist factions led by Jewish people largely.

As a matter of fact, in American schools they don't teach any reason for the Third Reich's antisemitism other than that they were deemed inferior to the German people. Indeed the Germans did see themselves superior to the jews, but American teachings just leave it at that and don't delve into any of the serious grievances Germany had against Jewish communists and financiers.

I'm by no means a stormturd, but I was always confused as to why I was taught in school that Nazis hated Jews for no reason other than their perceived inferiority, much akin to Dubya Bush telling Americans that 9/11 happened simply because al queada hates our freedoms without giving any back story or insight into the grievances many middle eastern people had against the US at the time.

We get very watered-down teaching in American public schools. Universities aren't always much better, as well.

Sengoku Jidai and Roman History (Republic, Empire, and Late Antiquity)

476 - 814 AD
1033 - 1400 AD

>check'em

Late antiquity to early middle age. The decline and the migration period.

>Have over 70% French genetical admixture
Where did you get that number from? Keep in mind that the Normans who conquered and settled England were from the noble class and had mostly Danish and Frankish blood.

The peasants were mostly Gallic untermensch ruled over by the Germanic Franks and Danes.

The "Dark Ages" till the Crusades.

I also enjoy learning about the pre-Islamic Middle East.

>Where did you get that number from?

Logics?
Rollo's son had 50% of French admixture through his mom
All Norman nobles interbred with French nobles and William was born seven generations after Rollo's son
Do the maths

And please, stop trying to oppose the term "Frank" to the term "French" post-9th century
It only makes you pass for a cretin

Post ww2 Greece desu.

Easy
Rollo and his vikings were given Normandy directly after that battle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Chartres_(911)

As you can imagine, they didnt go back to Denmark to bring a bunch of Nordic women with them, only the few they had brought with them for the raiding campaign were there.
Around 17,000 Danish men settled in Normandy, and 90% of those who created a family did with local women

I romanticize the though of Feudal Japan and Genghis Khan's height of power.

Current Africa is Hilarious Africa

Migration Period

reading about the degeneracy of Rome just makes your loins crave for its fall, fucking Latin slime

wait why didn't I think of this first.

>Suleiman kills off his best heir because of pussy
>Suleiman effectively starts the slow destruction of his family's work by starting a long list of weak succesors

1960s Britain and 'Murica

>degeneracy
That ended when Constantine converted and restored order.

>boil your wife alive and execute your son, consider yourself to be a sun god before coming under christian influence
>empire splits and western half succumbs to barbarian incursions a century after your death
>>That ended when Constantine converted and restored order.

This. The only patrician choice.

decadence and turmoil is what makes a time period interesting

The Great Game, the Neolithic Era, and the first few civilizations and empires all the way up to Rome.

1881-1947 Romania

World War II

1) From the French revolution to the outbreak of WW1.
It's imo the most interesting period to learn about on a global scale.
2) I have a soft spot for the interwar period. It had the best borders in Europe, and was generally comfy until the great depression.

the vikang era

High Medieval and modern are my favourites I guess, but i love lots of periods

late Roman Empire, early Middle Ages

The Cold War desu

Cataloging favorite period throughout my life, from 11 years old to now

Ancient Greeks (mythology at first) -> Romans -> Medieval English & French -> WWII (favorite for a loooong time) -> Crusades -> Napoleonic Wars -> American Revolution -> back to Romans