Is Buddhism just death worship? I mean the whole point of reaching Nirvana is just to die and not be reincarnated right...

Is Buddhism just death worship? I mean the whole point of reaching Nirvana is just to die and not be reincarnated right?

Am I missing something here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DceMK3OI4fM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah it is.

Yeah you're missing a lot. Why don't you just stick with your normie tier prautistantism, you amerilard? You're clearly too dense (because of the lard) to try to understand anything other than cheeseburgers and jeeezus.

Is Christianity just death worship? I mean the whole point of worshiping Jesus is just to die and got to heaven right?

Am I missing something here?

Alright my american friend. Let me try and help you.

When you drink too many budweisers or coors or coronas, remember how your troubles feel lighter? Like the stuff you worry about feel petty and you feel like you are part of something more transcendent?

Buddhism's ideal goal is to be like that but with the universe at large.

Yes, you missed the entire "be raised from the dead to be alive forevermore" part.

That "happens" after you're dead

So Buddhism is like having the best beer in the universe?

That's because Christianity is 1/3 Buddhism. The other thirds are Roman Paganism and Judaism. The chances of a religion, cult or philosophy spawning without obsessing over death and pretty much nil.

Only if you set it up ahead of time.

Fail to do so, and it will not.

This whole life is to choose where you want to spend eternity.

It's like spiritual leprosy; an attempt to remove oneself from all of the pain, suffering and sorrow that life brings by basically denial.

It's the opposite of denial. Ever heard of mindfullness?

Is that why it originated in India? If I lived there then I'd probably want to cease to exist

It helped me realize what makes me funny or unfunny.

Buddhism is not death worship. We do not worship death. The idea is to defeat suffering, extinguish karma, cultivate "suchness" and off you go into liberation. The practice says "there is and end to suffering; there is a way to end suffering". There are many suffering who could use understanding

Buddha couldn't stand Hinduism, properly discerned that the "holy vedas" were not holy, or even correct, left and started his own thing.

>lard
I'm an American and I don't think we use lard for food anymore, but for some reason we eat disgusting meat conglomerations called hot dogs, make fun of those so my country will stop making them. Please.

>The practice says "there is and end to suffering; there is a way to end suffering"

That's death.

There is an end to suffering during this life. It is then, one who has been revealed must reveal, to help others cultivate this same salvation.

Death is not the end of suffering, while it releases worldliness and association with life, there is rebirth into a new life with new suffering. Death causes others grief. We do not worship death.

Buddhism may be a good way for you to deal with the slings and arrows of this life.

It's completely useless in the afterlife.

A message from beyond the grave *theremin*

I guess in a sense it is, but that's kind of stretching a few definitions. Besides, the only thing you can be sure of is that you will 100% definitely die; if that's not worthy of "worship", what is?

The afterlife is not separate from this life. It is the same. You have to cultivate in this life, to prepare for your afterlife. This life is very important.

The Buddhist view is that life is suffering because of impermanence of both material things and your "self" ("you" are almost entirely composed of just mental faculties, no personal soul).

Because of this, the cycle of re-incarnation is the ultimate representation of suffering and should be circumvented through realization of the Dharma.

It is less about immediate death in the life you are currently living, but yeah you are somewhat on the right track, it just requires the initial premise that material, ignorant life is suffering.

Is life just a death worship? I mean the whole point of life is to just die and believe there is no god right?

Am I missing somethign here?

Hahahahaha

There is a saying "It is better to be lost in the self of a flower than it is to be lost in the non-self of a flower."

The concept of "enlightenment" is just the mind using thoughts to try to escape itself, which is impossible. All the guru's and "enlightened" individuals say enlightenment is pleasurable, but pleasure merely derives from a series of chemical complexes in the body that provide certain physiological advantages. The search for the so-called enlightenment then is the brain's attempt to gain a perpetual advantage over the world, a pleasure that never diminishes or leads to bad consequences.

Before somebody tells you to seek enlightenment, you don't seek enlightenment. There are no problems. The teacher who tells you you're separate from the enlightenment creates the struggle that your brain uses it's only mechanism (thought) to try to escape, but the mind can't escape itself.

Why is suffering bad? Isn't buddhisms elimination of it like plucking out your eyes because the world around you is ugly to behold?

>is just the mind using thoughts to try to escape itself, which is impossible
eh yeah it is. Read some Luhmann.

How do you know any of this is accurate when what you wrote is just the result of chemical processes in your body?

Why dont te Buhdists just build ~10,000 50mt devices and explode them all at once?
Or are they just faking it?

Actually that 1/3 is not Buddhism, but Platonism/Neo-Platonism

Aztec religion?

>"death worship"
>yet the christians are the ones running around yelling "DEUCE VULT" and chopping off the head of some poor arab woman while willing to die for "muh Christ", whom himself willingly died on a fucking cross

How about you explain it to me?

Thought is not just chemical processes.

Dude do you ever sleep?

>"death worship"
>yet the muslims are the ones running around yelling "ALAHU AKBAR" and chopping off the head of some poor syrian woman while willing to die for "muh Muhammad", whom himself died after fucking a 7 year old

Mindfulness is GDLK

Veeky Forums is such a fucking shite board to discuss even babby-tier philosophy like Stoicism, let alone buddhism.

Buddhism is popularly interpreted as nihilism by chucklefucks who can't be bothered to do the bare minimum of research(most of Veeky Forums) but it's far from the truth.

You don't 'get' nirvana/awakening through abstractions and thought, you have to meditate,practise and contemplate because the Buddha put a massive emphasis on experential verification.

Please just at least try to skim a wikipedia article or something before you ask retarded fucking questions like this.

I don't see what the problem is, like at all. (Social) systems describe themselves at all times.

>(Social) systems describe themselves at all times.
Describing is different than understanding. Describing social systems requires making up names for ideologies and groups of people and stuff, they're metaphors.

No one said anything about understanding. Also pic related. You also don't know what social systems are.

Buddhism is not nihilistic.

>No one said anything about understanding.
Except me in my original post that you're responding to. Sorry I'm not familiar with your favorite thinker

It's not a religion either. At best it's pain management.

Please try and do some reading on the subject instead of parroting complete bullshit.

Buddhism is a complete religion with my many schools of thought, it's just that in the west the metaphysics,and other aspects, are ignored so they can pander to retarded 20-something hipsters better.

You are in no position to make any sweeping statements about buddhism considering you do not even know about the 3 main school, Theravada,Mahayana and Vajrayana and their practises.

no, the point is to be alive right now. same with christianity, but not many people get it (especially the religious).

youtube.com/watch?v=DceMK3OI4fM

not him but
>instead of parroting complete bullshit
agree
>buddhism is a complete religion
agree
>in the west the metaphysics, and other aspects, are ignored so they can pander to retarded 20-something hipster better
there is literally nothing wrong with applying buddhist strategies in a secular manner. nobody needs to completely commit themselves to anything.

I'd agree but there's alot of shit that can pass itself as authentic and buddhist when it is neither.

Take the HeadSpace app for example, the meditations in there weren't created by an enlightened individual which basically invalidates the whole point of it considering certain things are done in a certain way in buddhist meditation passed down which may only bear fruit a long way down the path.

So what you get is nothing but a hollow shell of meditation.

There's nothing wrong with practising actual methods experientially verified by various meditation masters though, I just hate the trendy status buddhism has in the west.

True.
Even some actual Buddhist monks are not actively trying to attain Nirvana. The teachings are very applicable to secular life.

Also true

>It's not a religion either

>>>/reddit/

Beings are numberless; I vow to awaken with them.
Delusions are inexhaustible; I vow to end them.
Dharma gates are boundless; I vow to enter them.
Buddha's way is unsurpassable; I vow to become it.

I've kind of been interstedin Buddhism as well since one of my favorite weeb books, Getter Robo references it frequently, with everything becoming one in the end.

Forgot pic of Getter Robo.