Trying to buy my first car

>trying to buy my first car

This is unbearable

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4099611087&feature=iv&list=PLvKbarVtwhUv6bjLhJSyaEOxaYy03j7QS&src_vid=9N4RpohW-hU&v=vC8LbvYk6es
atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/mercury-villager/6219703495.html
atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/chevrolet-prizm-toyota/6217420525.html
atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/volvo-glt/6220755320.html
autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705175542918?sort=sponsored&radius=30&onesearchad=Used&price-to=2000&postcode=nn141qu&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=1500&model=GOLF&make=VOLKSWAGEN&page=2
chicago.craigslist.org
atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/honda-civic-for-sale-by/6211044704.html
atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/honda-civic-lx-coupe-speed/6226475202.html
atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/honda-civic-ex-coupe-reduced/6188730644.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/6218625251.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

post options

I don't even know how to narrow down the choices, there's a million cars on craigs list and autotrader and I have no idea how to determine what are even worth looking at

civic. best car ever

Did you even look at the sticky? Pick one that suits your needs then go to an owner's forum to get an inspection guide to take to your meet-up.

I'm looking at civics and corollas. I mean I know I'm going to get one of those, I don't know how to pick a specific one from the millions of listings. I feel like I don't know enough to prevent myself from spending all my money on some problem infested piece of shit

Step 1, look at our sticky. Craigslist is usually better than autotrader but be cautious if you live in the hood or will be buying in the hood.

You're going to have to look at several before you find one that meets your standards. Is there a specific year and trim you want?

Of course I looked at the sticky. I know what kind of car I want to get and I know what sites to use to find one. That's not my issue.

I just want something that won't break down and cause me problems

Just get an integra GSR

get a ferrari

avoid the groid

Is it dumb to buy a car with 150,000 miles on it

post your local craigslist.

It really depends on the car, depends on if the miles are city miles or highway miles

It's a great idea if the price is right

Chrisfix how to buy a used car

Is that the soapy wodder guy?

Stay the fuck away from dealerships.

Veeky Forums may hate this but if you have no idea what you're doing and aren't prepared to deal with the inevitable faults on an old shitbox, then you should buy from a dealership with a 1year+ extended warranty.

Also in the market for first car
there's this guy selling one of these near (non turbo version but seeing as all my experience with cars is a 2003 polo and a kia rio everything is an upgrade)

how expensive are these to keep on the road and all that shit that comes with

If You read the next few posts in the sticky you will also learn how to do a basic inspection of a used car, and as one user said go to a forum for the specific car and get a post of things to check specific to that make.

I said I read the sticky, I included that too. I've also been wtaching the chrisfix videos. I don't know how to judge an ad to see if a car is even worth inspecting

>(((warranty)))

Buick
Honda
Chevrolet
Toyota
Ford
Mazda
Suzuki
Suburu
Oldsmobile

Most of the cars under these badges released in the last 20 years should do you right if they're taken care of.

Never buy from mechanics.
Make sure the frame isn't damaged.
Check if there's any oil in the coolant.
Test every major component before you buy.

As your first car? Nope

Why never buy from mechanic?

Mechanics are infamous for nigger-rigging shitty cars they got for almost nothing together and selling them on Craigslist. Stay away from anything that says "Mechanic's Special".

Found out the guy who sold me my Cadillac was a mechanic after the fact, and sure enough he had done some bullshit fixes that cost me hundreds to deal with.

Not him but the idea is that mechanics spend all day working on cars, so they won't want to go home and work on theirs. So if it is fixed it'll be in the cheapest and quickest way possible, not always the right way.

That's not me though, I'm a mechanic and my car is my pride and joy. No nigger rigging there, I only use OEM parts and do it myself.

Is an old lexus a good buy?

>old as in 98-06

explain

I feel like most mechanics have a special project car they work on outside of work. And that's usually their pride and joy. Obviously if a mechanic shop is selling a car tho, the customer prob left it unpaid for after an expensive diagnosis.

That's your fault. You bought an overpriced vehicle from Craigslist. You need to stay in your cheap-ass lane.

I mean, I only spent a grand on it, so it's to be expected. Not really a huge loss, but my beef is with the plague of dishonest """mechanics""" who think stop leak is the answer to a dripping gasket.

Even if they explicitly say in their post "There's nothing wrong with this car, runs like a dream, etc", you should always take it in to a mechanic you trust and let them inspect it. Even if it costs you $100 and is as shitty as humanly imaginable, you just saved yourself wearing a $900 ball and chain.

What if I don't know any mechanics because I've never had a car before

>take it to a mechanic to inspect it
>$1000 shitbarge
Found the retard.

Dealerships are great places to take them to if you don't mind paying a little extra. They'll let you know even minor things that you couldn't give 2 shits about. But they notice quite a lot, because they've seen it all. They might have a bad rep about prices (stealerships) but in terms of authenticity, you'll be okay.

I never said I was buying $1k nigger carriages. I was just saying in general if you suspect fuckery.

I only have 6500 to spend, I don't think I can afford paying more at a dealer

Do people really think that just by reading the inspection guide in the sticky that someone with no knowledge of cars whatsoever will be able to competently inspect a used car?

$6500 is a fair amount. Best advice I can give though is don't spend it all in one place. Save some for the repairs you won't know about until it happens. I bought an RX-8 last year and spent all but $1k of my savings. Car turned out to be pretty solid, but when i wanted to do upgrades, I could without spending another few months saving up again.

Post your local craigslist

Pretty much yeah it's not rocket science buddy

Meh just get a geo metro. Reliable and gets prius level fuel economy. You will barely spend 1.5k. You might even find the hatch version for under 3k.

+1

youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4099611087&feature=iv&list=PLvKbarVtwhUv6bjLhJSyaEOxaYy03j7QS&src_vid=9N4RpohW-hU&v=vC8LbvYk6es

Atlanta

Explain to me what's so difficult about using a used car guide? Do you need your mommy to spoon-feed you when you eat in public too? This is the problem with society today bunch of pussies walking around

Just send him to >>/r/ lel

Metros are painfully underpowered. You will also die if you get into any wreck over 30mph.
atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/mercury-villager/6219703495.html

atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/chevrolet-prizm-toyota/6217420525.html

atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/volvo-glt/6220755320.html

>thinking I had parents that loved me

This. Buy from a private seller. My first car only cost $1200, payed in cash, bought from guy 2 streets over. The car lasted 5 years.

what do you think about this
200k miles

I used to have a 95 Saab 900s. I can be pricey if it needs something replaced. But for general maintenance, it's no more pricey than anything else.

wants 800 eur for it, forgot to mention

Bongoloid here, how does this look? autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705175542918?sort=sponsored&radius=30&onesearchad=Used&price-to=2000&postcode=nn141qu&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=1500&model=GOLF&make=VOLKSWAGEN&page=2
Not my postcode obviously.

Yes, that Toyota reliability

I mean, it depends if the internals are in good shape.

whitewalls though

Get a Miata

Here
chicago.craigslist.org

POST YOUR LOCAL CRAIGSLIST OR GET THE FUCK OFF OUR BOARD

see

atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/honda-civic-for-sale-by/6211044704.html

atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/honda-civic-lx-coupe-speed/6226475202.html

atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/honda-civic-ex-coupe-reduced/6188730644.html

no craigslist here man

>tfw thinking of the hundreds of dollars I'm going to spend on uber getting to these cars to inspect them / test drive them only to find out they're shit and I have to go back home

oh wait, I just noticed they're all manual

Bum a ride? Borrow a parents car?

Learn to drive a manual.

A few quick tips op
>Don't buy a car from the city
>Don't buy from a poor person
>Don't buy from a woman
>Don't buy from foreigners
Do this and you'll be just fine

>tfw 18 year olds think that installing aftermarked LED lights on a 90s shitbox increases the value of the car they're selling

>uh man, I installed LAMBO doors on this honda
>I want 10k for it yo

You have an analytical mind and are seeking to make sure you pick the perfect car. This is impossible user. You will learn from your lessons as you go on in life. Maybe the car is shit, maybe some stroke of luck you find the perfect car. You don't even really know your own tastes which will change in a few years as you drool over some other achievable dream car over what you thought you wanted right now.

Just take your time with it, never feel afraid/pressured to back out of the purchase/take more time. YOU are shopping for YOUR car with hard earned money. Fuck the dude's schedule/dealer's time. You choose what's the right one at the right time.

>tfw waiting for that corrado for over a year now
>all the ones for sale are lowered bodykitted pieces of shit
>to import one would double the price

iktf bro, its so hard to get all the stars to line up.
try finding a:
>manual
>jdm
>inline 6
>turbo
>rwd

took me so long but was worth

>sticky

nibba that shit is like 10 years old

Absolute newfag here, not the other guy, what the fuck do the gears on a car (first gear, second gear, etc) even do/mean? I've only ever had one car and ol' faithful is about to die, never had to drive a manual before

They make cool noises and make you go fast

>I just want something that won't break down and cause me problems
You want a toyota

losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/6218625251.html
Should I Veeky Forums?

I inherited one of these after it being our family car for 12 years, only bad part on it was the exhaust rusted. Volvo 850s just keep on ticking as long as you do the basic maint.

It's simple. You move through the gears as you pick up speed. Start in first, accelerate, shift to second, accelerate, third, etc. You only need to shift if the rpms are in a certain range. Now, if you're cruising and you want to pick up speed, you shift down to get more power and shift back up once the desired speed is attained.

Shit explanation but hope it helps somehow
It's not that complicated, you'll learn quick

are e90 good bimmers or are all bmws unreliable?
Found one 2005 e90 320d manual for 6200 euro at 160k km. If its in a good shape from prev owner should I buy it? As long as I take care of it regularly it unlikely it will break right or do they just randomly break?

Repairing luxury cars is expensive, especially foreign ones.

I live in Albania so parts are cheaper here
I know repairing will still be expensive
Im just asking if I do all the maintanence stuff that every car needs does it have to break at all?

Try just driving around town leaving it on 5th gear, and you'll understand why there is a 1st.
Then try driving down the highway in 1st and you'll understand why there is a 5th.

The ones inbetween are pretty useful too

the same thing they do on a bicycle.

>dad was a mechanic
>car fucked up
>didnt have time (remember, he was a mechanic, he spent every single day fixing cars) or money to fix it so he nigger rigged it
90% of mechanics are like this

At 200,000 miles a lot of the parts are approaching their end of life. It could be that so many little things go out at once (belts, hoses, timing chain, sensors, fuel pump, injectors, shocks etc) that it's not worth fixing, or it could be the piston rings or bearings go bad and it requires an engine rebuild which may not be worth doing with all the other little things falling apart on it.

In 2014, 1.7% of cars sold on the used market in the USA had over 200,000 miles. That tells you most cars don't make it that long. But some even hit 250,000 or more without needing any major repairs it just becomes more and more unlikely.

BTW what happened to OP?

Oh thought you were the Volvo guy.
Is me

yeah but 160k km is a long way from 200k miles
i wont use it that much

>he has a wide choice and still whines

you stupid shit, all i wanted for my first car was something that's small and at least remotely lively (106 1.4, saxo, whatever), couldn't even find anything like that despite fact that it's super popular in my country. enjoy your amazing market luck

find a car that's
>relevant to your tastes
>slightly below your price range
and then get one from auction where it's more expensive. if you buy cheapest used car, you'll leave second time as much as you paid for it in workshop/on parts.

>he nigger rigged it
>90% of mechanics are like this
Sadly this even applies to work done at the dealership.