Dawn of War General

what the fuck are you nogs doing, this general is as dead as the game ed.

Purged Thread
DOW 3 WIKI:
dow.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Dawn_of_War_III

BASIC TIPS:
Singleplayer missions grant better xp than multiplayer. so grind them instead of having your opponent quit 2 mins in.

don't build all the power nodes on resources straight away with multiplayer, you will overcommit.
Go to settings and unbind elite function keys to get buildings to be f1 through to f5.

It's canon that gorgutz won soulstorm

should have called it dowg

ded

>the fucking wraithknight mission

I did manage it on the first try on hard but I was fucking close to losing

Are there custom game modes in this like warcraft/starcraft?

I lost my first hard attempt haha, I didn't free both of the prison camps accidentally and had to stage a desperate breakout attempt to them as I was losing units, didn't make it.

At the present one game mode, there is a map editor but it has a bug where if you hit saveas you can never load the map again. so I'm waiting for that to be fixed.

I doubt it's anywhere near as expansive as wc3's map editor though scriptwise.

Does anyone else think Assault marines, specifically the powersword upgrade needs a nerf?

yes, they are op as fuck

absolutely anons, you can just grab the upgrade to give them true damage and wipe all early game buildings/vehicles

if you combine that with the extra low altitude jump doctrine holy shit they are next level

AP would be ok I think, but pure is retardedly strong. 2 jumps for getting in and out, the only non elite who can reliably enter shield bubbles, disruption on landing, and then the upgrade stuns vehicles. There's so little that they're actually bad against and for such a low cost and early deployment time.

The game so bad no one want to talk about it? Is this the end for universe? Last good entry was Gothic Armada.

it's so different, needs a hell of smoothing up with patches.

and more importantly it's an rts so ded genre user
name 1 rts that isn't blizbaby that has a general.

have you played it user? I was thinking alot on the hero balance and I realised the hero's balance are basically "what if last stand from dow2 was made into the core game"

I actually liked the campaign, more than retributions at least.

you literally have posts above yours, also gothic armada was arcade shit

Speaking of wich I'd like a last stand for dow 3

The last mission kinda looks like one

>have you played it user?
I got bug in one of Eldar missions and can't finish it. Waiting for bugfix patches i guess.
Played few multiplaer, cant say much other that faction ability must be removed, so antifun.

Man this game would be so much better with a hero level up system in matches and creep camps like WC3.

yeah I definately got those vibes, coming to a dlc near you?

the hotfix patch was supposed to fix that user?, you prolly have to reload tho

there was a patch?

yes, now read the steam notes like everyone else.

has anyone figured if the corpses are permanent ? or is the carpet making in this game nerfed

Who /devious/ here?

When it says a doctrine will unlock once I hit level 8, what is this level 8? Is this the hero levels? The level of my profile (I assumed this, but I dont see a level for my profile)? Or level in the campaign?

bottom left corner of unit portraits

Thank you user. I am not home to check, but will asap. Thanks for the tip. I didnt want to have to play against players to get stuff.

how do we fix the asm meta

make power swords a single squad upgrade

increase cooldown of second jump

raise cost of scouts

Increase cost by 10%, and their upgrade let's them counter heavy armor but no vehicle stun

BE ME SUM SHOTA BOYS

okay seriously guys, when i'm playing orks stop making tactical marines unless you plan to put a flamer on them, its useless

They can work with nades

In general just don't use tactical marines

The titan missions are all pretty easy desu, except for the wraithknight one before you get it

So this mission is hard? I almost failed it but only by mistake because I was rolling army one side and Wraithknight alone on the other. Then I noticed that my big bad robot is not immortal. Machas passive saved the day.

>I almost failed it
>acts tough

thats my mom u dip

make tacs better, increase power cost of asm to 25 and lock power swords behind tier2

>okay seriously guys, stop making tactical marines
fixed

Yes I almost failed it by playing like retard. I didnt expect that enemy had so much units at the end and i charged there blindly.

Real question thou is how do you fix tacs

They are expensive and due them having only "high" HP and med-low range dmg units like Dire Avengers especially with those early doctrine upgrades just trash them.

higher dps, baseline frag grenade, maybe higher melee dps too. if eldar get baseline nades why cant tacs too? they already have FoF AND shield on top of that. tacs have literally nothing baseline, lowest dps of all 3 starting units, and lowest effective health/survivability (eldar has shields so they don't drop models until halfway through the fight and don't need to reinforce after fight, and orcs tie you up in melee forcing you to melee dps which is much lower), AND highest reinforcement cost and highest production cost. i don't understand wtf they were thinking when they balanced the tacs. they are literally the worst in every aspect, both on paper and in game. flamer is great but that's literally it and it's a huge huge power investment that delays your tech a lot just to get one flamer out and if you lose it you're fucked, say goodbye to all that power.

Listening posts bulletin is ruining this game

Why is the story so shit, why are all the characters boring, why are genetically enhanced soldiers firing mini rockets out of machine guns one of the weakest units in the game

so, trying to work without elites and playing defensively (which allows me to bring in my elites if i really must) until i can get my wraith knight is giving me a pretty solid winrate, a lot of people quit when they see the wraith knight or it wins 1 battle.

no way you're doing that in 1v1

Surprisingly many people like to sit doing nothing is 1v1. I just had hard 1v1 match SM vs Orcs guy was just spamming deffloota and mostly tanbustas because I was relying on predators and i was boosting them with Paladin. We played like 50min. It was like WW1 meter after meter payed in blood. At the end I had so many Elite points I regreted not bringing Solaria too instead of Kill team.

Thought Bolters were kinda "eh" on the Tabletop.

they are
they are "eh" everywhere, because if they were accurate to lore they would rape everything no contest and so would space marines in general.

space marines have no drawback in combat, their drawback in the lore is that there are so few of them in number that they can't be deployed everywhere they need to be. but in a fight they can win versus pretty much any opponent except for maybe a horde of tyranid. that doesn't make for good game balancing.

I think there is still some time to figure out how to use tacs. A decent mass of tactical marines can be pretty good as long as you can micro them properly with the help of some scout nade on more open maps. Plus their remain pretty useful into the late game thanks to the plasma rifles, whilst Dire Avengers require too much babysitting in late game with their paper armor and fast overheating to be as useful

space marines are weak, one of their only standouts is asm.

>A decent mass of tactical marines can be pretty good as long as you can micro them properly with the help of some scout nade on more open maps.
decent mass of asm will always be much more powerful with a lot more utility, and not that much more expensive. if you're buildings scouts you already sunk the cost for the rax so you may as well just build asm at that point. you can make tacs work if you try really hard but it's just handicapping yourself compared to using asm, the power disparity is too great.

SM in DoW1 were pretty jack-of-all-trade of a faction. Squads were good compared to other standard units, but that was mostly due to their utility rather than anything else.

DoW 2 did a great job conveying how fucking scary Bolters are since they rape face in early games. However, SM became actually one of the oddest factions in the game because everything was expensive and they had very few melee units (ASM were bank breakingly expensive and would still lose against a squad of Sluggaz and Heretics).

The point is it's hard to really say what the Space Marines are actually supposed to play like in a DoW game since they all have different flavors.

As good as they are, I think massing ASMs is still not a no-brainer choice since you are almost always going to be forced to play aggressively against a more numerous foe with no capacity to defensively kite damages in a formation.

Can you make tacs work with the doctrines you can get for them, although it may hinder your other capabilities. And in the end would it be worth it.

Not really. Frags are really mediocre and the movement speed one is useless. Slow death is great though and the only time tacs are ever good, you can't really use a critical mass of flamer tacs though, it's really just for 1 squad.

>click the army picker thing
>drop down list is so huge it goes off my screen
>can't scroll down
>after moving my mouse everywhere and scrolling and dragging all over the list to get it to move i disappear from the lobby
>i'm not in my own lobby anymore and i cant queue
wtf is this

I LIVE
YOU DIE
I KILL AGAIN

Just notes that there on the left i can chose doctrines for my forces and not only heroes.
And i already spend all my skulls and can't buy anything. This menus are so inconvenient.

>This menus are so inconvenient.
whole ui system is a huge clusterfuck

>only used killteam once
>summoned terminators once at the very end of a game for like 10 seconds and they didnt do any damage or anything
>never even used venerable dreadnought a single time
>meanwhile i use jonah every game and he chunks hella hard and i get shitloads of exp for him
how is this even calculated

I think you do need spend elite points to resumon dead elites? If you keep resurrecting cheap elites you never get to use expensive ones.

naa user, you do spend elite points to drop your ultimate though, increasing every time.

unit kills.
some anons were saying support units gain support xp but I certainly havent seen it so can't confirm that. Only more killing gets more xp.

yeah idk what they were thinking user. do a hard mode mission as your elites get boatloads of xp, so you can then buy more shit

>you do spend elite points to drop your ultimate though, increasing every time
God damn that were went off and i was wondering, game explain nothing and really confusing.

Dude if you did that in 1v1 I would be harassing the shit out of your gens

Slow death is overpowered, especially early game

Units killed? Isn't it calculated from damage done?

stock XP you receive for deploying the elite + some ratio * damage done

I got ridiculous amount of exp on Eldar sniper, like triple or more that everyone else got. I think its because of his long shot that fly though map and damage lots of things in his way.

I'm a complete newbie to the dawn of war series.
What's the most efficient way to start off the game? do you run your first builder to a resource point asap while making another builder to build or do you start building a barracks asap and send your first troops to start capturing points?

depends

th-thanks...

1v1 - build 3 workers + starting unit and send them to cap all mid points, even if the enemy pushes 1, you'll still have 2. Build listening posts on the other 1 or 2 (depending which you expect him to hit next), start buiding you base around the points and units.

although if you are orks, listening posts could be more shoota boys so keep that in mind

yeah, so first use is 2, then 3 then 4, ect ect ect.

yeah not him but only one of my 20 ranked 1v1 games or so has ended even in time for escalation 3.
majority of my games end in escalation1/2 , as people ragequit 90% of matches.

I am an ork though,and one of the endorsers of the kommando(mork bless)

Kommando is literally Doomguy with super shotgun.

>tfw to smart to play anything other than kommando

>wraithguards and nobz are improved by vehicle research

GAME DEPTH

Why would relic choose to change the established canon like that?

You talking abour orks winning kaurava? It was never estabilished

It really was though.

No it was the fanbase that pushed stubbs

We pushed so hard that they cave in, but now they say gorgutz won.

They said stubbs won in that relic forum post.

Where is that post?

so, are any of the eldar vehicles actually worth it? seems like I should just ignore them and use wraiths as my high-power units

fire prism

vypers are shit, falcons are ok

prims only work en masse

No vehicles, no wraiths. Just more rangers and banshees

Or just more banshees?

Sooo...

How does this work?

congrats you get an extra ring around your ring(it's shit)

At least I got me Pointy Stick

>put mine on top of lootas
>retard assault marine spammer jumps in with 5 squads on top of it
>kill 2/3rds of them in two shots and throw stikkbombs at them

:^)

There is nothing more fun than abusing asm shitters

I just fucking got match against iNcontroL. 3v3 I had lags , my friend was doing ok but 3rd random guy was just sitting on the middle not helping us.GODDAMIT I am so angry. I will need to find him tommorow to reclaim my honor.

So what're good counters to asms, other than kommando for the orcs? Theyre too jumpy for blocking, and scatter melee defenders if you mix them with your ranged units. Do you have to just get grenade timing right?

I have no fucking idea because now ASM spammers are running with the fucking aerial assault ability which obliterates your melee troops

And if you dare to keep your ranged units close they get fucking obliterated by it

You need 1 nob squad and taunt them. Early I would go for Orc Boyz he pays 500 +10 energy you pay 300. You can make 2x for his one unit and just swarm him. When you see his coming just use should for shield and speed.

that's 425 power just to get to nobz...

For orcs, just make more units than him force him to mass at one part of the map or be overrun, while you have smaller forces cap points

For eldar, run banshees, with a few Reapers until you can afford to swap to specters. Late game, you're going to dish out more pain with both wraith units and prisms, so if you can stall in the early and mid game you're set

That's why I said about Orc boyz. Good thing to put them in trukk and leave some units to let him think you are weaker and when he jumpes you throw yours from trukk.