I looked up my car through Carfax and checked out the maintenance schedule...

I looked up my car through Carfax and checked out the maintenance schedule. Does anyone know what the hell lubicate driveshaft u joint means? Apparently my car requires it every oil change. I looked up a video, looks pretty tricky. Am I just better off taking it to a shop and letting them do it? How much does that even cost with a 5k oil change?

usually good practice to lube them every so often. go underneath your vehicle and have a look at the u-joints yourself, might not be so bad

Sauce on that delicious fire crotch gril?

What kind of vehicle dicknose
Probably Toyota

Yeah but it's saying the car needs it every oil change? What pisses me off is I didn't even know about this. I still got a lot of miles left before my next oil change too. I'm curious how much of a difference it would make
2000 4runner

>Apparently my car requires it every oil change.

Chassis lube points are usually only on a schedule when the join has a grease fitting. If your car has that then it's super easy. If it doesn't, it's a sealed joint that's probably designed to last 100K miles.

>2000 4runner

So get a grease gun and do it. Easy.

U-joints move a helluva lot, if they dry up, enjoy learning how to replace them.

and get a grease gun with a flexible hose

How do I know if I did it right or not? Would it be a good idea to take it to a shop and have them show me how to do it?

Also does anyone know what the stuff under torque means?

Does she have legs

I'm guessing not.
>wanting a FWD girl

Listen up nigger, go to Harbor Freight and buy a shitty grease gun, go to the part store and get a tube of grease, because your obviously some kind of idiot YouTube a video on how to load said grease gun.

Find the grease fitting on the U joint, is the little nipple looking thing, pop the grease tip on, pump it until you hear the seals crackle and a bit of grease comes out of them.

There you fucking go

You don't need a goddamn mechanic to hold your hand through this process.

Half your suspension will have these fucking things too

Someone didn't get their tendies today

may be a tad vitriolic but it is good advice none the less

Well, at least give him a little credit for actually reading his owner's manual and actually wanting to do the maintenance it's listing.

You could've only wrote the second paragraph of that comment and been just as helpful.

Also OP lube your ball joints while you're under there. They're the little metal balls with a stick on top that keep your wheel attached to your control arm.

Lube the ball joints? I've never heard of anything like that before

Ball joints have grease fittings on them

Holy kek that's good

you can clearly see them right of her waist

you dont have to, my bro has a 98 runner with over 200k miles. He hardly even changes the oil on that thing and it runs fine sans a fuel injector we had to replace

As others have pointed out lubricating your u joints is important. If your vehicle has zerks (the name for grease nipples) on the u joints it probably also has them on the slip joint or joints which are also in the driveline. They are most commonly located at the rear most section of drive shaft if you have a multi piece setup. Just go ahead and give those a few.pumps of grease. The steering column u joints may also have grease points on them, turn the wheel for access to those. The ball joints are going to be anywhere the steering components connect on the front axle, give those a couple shots of grease. If some oozes out that's ok, those boots only hold so much. As long as new grease is present they're happy. Also take a look at where the hubs mount to the axle. If you have kingpins there should be a zero at the top and bottom of the spindle or knuckle (the actual part that turns on the axle, the hub is mounted to that). Grease those liberally until fresh grease oozes out. If it's a manual the throw out bearing on the clutch may also have a zerk, as well as the shift linkage at the front of the transmission.

All of these zerks may not be present depending on the kind of vehicle and if it has greaseless components. Some systems use a Teflon bushing to eliminate the need for lubrication. Also depending on the front axle setup you may or may not have kingpins, some vehicles use a single piece hub assembly with an integrated wheel bearing. If you don't know what a zerk looks like Google can help with that. If you see one, shoot some grease in it. It's almost impossible to over grease anything that needs it so unless it looks like it's been fist fucked with a wad of cherry jam after its been greased it's correct. And even if it does just wipe off the excess.