Question, how would making these aesthetic changes to a cb500 ruin performance or the bike?

Question, how would making these aesthetic changes to a cb500 ruin performance or the bike?

It would completely fuck the entire bike beyond repair.

If you're going to cafe (i.e. chop up) a bike, use something worthless like a GS500 or Ninja 250.

What about a cb500 that hasn't been started in years and has seen better days?

You'll spend more time fixing it than you will riding or customising it.

Always buy a running bike, unless you know for sure what's wrong with it.

Thank you for leaving /dbt/. Stay out until you've failed and learnt your lesson.

You literally are not teaching me any lesson.

If I build a cafe racer it will be partly your fault because you didn't show me a reason not to when I was asking why I should or shouldn't.
You just spazzed out about it.

>if I build a shitty bike, it's not my fault
Nice snowflake mentality there.

Well you are encouraging me to build one by default.

Because doing research yourself is just too damn hard, right?
Go ahead and build the piece of shit, lmao. Blame me all you want, but it's your fault through and through.

Building a good bike.

Also anime reaction images show how much of a shitty person you are.

Blaming someone else won't fix whatever fuckup abomination you create.
The best way to kake a cafe racer is to not to. They are garbage abominations.

Yet they are improved in every way except comfort from stock 1970's bikes.

You're choosing to build one regardless of whether he encourages you or not.

I didn't think it was possible for one person to have this much shit taste.

OP, don't listen to this retard. Changing the aesthetics a bit won't ruin your bike, do fucking whatever. Especially mods that offend this autistic cunt.

Who was that guy on YouTube with the fake cafe build?

>shit ergonomics
>shit comfort
>shit meme tires
>shit steering radius
>maybe better brakes and carbs if you modify those to improve them
>"improved"
Right?
The point I'm making is it's a bad descision and he should be big boy enough to find out why on his own.
What I misunderstand is how "well hurr it's your fault that I make this if you don't spoonfeed me"

I think your shitty paint abortion shows what we can expect from your handiwork

I'm actually a qualified graphic designer.

Just couldn't be bothered.

You steer by leaning above 10 mph anyway, you dimwit. Steering radius only matters for your driveway. And how exactly are the tires meme shit? Most of them you'd also put on a naked or sportbike.

>cafe racer faggotry

please stop making retarded threads, the chicken ones are shitty enough

also get a real bike, brother

>get a real bike

>Steering radius only matters for your driveway.
Call me a pussy but I find it hard to pull mad leans in parking lots and at 90° turns in residential intersections.
Also really helps to be able to jerk on some well mounted bars when traffic gets thick on the freeway and you're filtering.

How is the steering radius ruined? serious question.

less steering lock.
you physically can't turn the bars as far because the grip position is closer to the tank

>you steer by leaning over 10mph

No, you don't. You counter-steer, either consciously or unconsciously.

So then some cafe racers can still turn if you don't go silly with handle bar positioned.

Barring paint jobs, no changes are ever entirely aesthetic on a motorcycle.
And going with cafe style changes just makes the bike less enjoyable to ride. If you want a cafe bike, just buy a sportbike. Remove the fairing and put on a round headlight if you must.
Or, buy a naked bike and put clipon handlebars on it.

The fact is that all the defining cafe features were made for top speed runs on the highway, for short periods.
They were also done because no one really made good racing motorcycles until the 1980s. So the low bars, small seat and skinny fairing were done because they had to do that to go fast.

Now you have motorcycles which are much better built for speed, comfort, and cornering fun. Sixty years of the march of technological progress really has reaped great rewards!

And you want to completely eschew all of that to make a motorcycle that will be shit in every way, and completely unenjoyable. Moreover, you want to do this to a bike that is not contemporary to the cafe racer period. So you can't even get away with a restomod project that went in a cafe racer direction with contemporary modifications. Which would be a cool project in it's own right. Even better would be to find an actual cafe racer and restore that.

But no. Take a 70s or 80s ujm and chop it up and make it shitty to ride. Just because you want to experience a cafe racer.
And for very little good reasons. Because cafe bikes are shit. Aesthetics are just opinions. But if your bike hurts your wrists and back, you won't ride it very much.

How is a 1970s cb500 four not from the right period you retard?

are cafefags the stancefags of motorcycles?

They are more like the customised Japanese nostalgic cars of motorcycles.

Cafe, scrambler, choppers, bobbers, all value aesthetic over the function of a motorcycle.
Just make a Triton.

Only when built out of modern motorcycles.

They are the Japanese nostalgic cars of motorbikes.

Lets compare a cafe racers to a datsun 510

>Both old and not as fast as their modern counterparts
>both driven for aesthetics and character
>both still fun to drive on twisty roads
>both can are often customised for looks.
>both have often have modifications that make them perform better than standard

Yep, they are the jncs of bikes.

Here is another example of a cafe racers car equivalent.

But jnc is the patrician taste of car enthusiasts.
If anything, the jnc of bikes is restomodding and keeping the bike close to it's stock form.

How when plenty of jncs aren't close to stock?

>the jnc of bikes is restomodding
That's what cafe racers are...

Completely.

>ruin the performance and handling aspects of a vehicle in the name of style

>trips of truth

Well shit.

LOL

It doesn't ruin the performance unless you start with a modern bike and try make it look old.

It does

>rip out air box and fit pod filters
>chop off half the exhaust
>don't reject the carbs so it runs lean as fuck
>fit shitty tyres that don't grip and don't do wet weather because they 'look just right'
>fit clubman bars which kills the turning circle and makes the bike uncomfortable
>don't fit adjustible rear sets to fix the riding position somewhat
>hack up the tail section which makes it less structurally sound
>don't do anything with the floppy suspension and poor brakes (probably drums too)

B-but it looks good bro

Portland was a mistake.