I... kinda want one Veeky Forums. The hell is wrong with me? Talk me out of putting a pre-order in for one

I... kinda want one Veeky Forums. The hell is wrong with me? Talk me out of putting a pre-order in for one...

looks like a gimp

only suckers buy technology brand new, you're going to be paying to be tesla's beta tester and when they release a better version you'll be kicking yourself

You should get one. It's a good investment. The advanced cruise control features alone are worth the price. Just make sure you factor in the higher than average insurance costs before committing.

Every time I see this thing.

Nothings wrong with you. Its an extremely safe car that is functional with some self driving abilities.

It being electric is just happenstance

Do it. I would if I had the money.

Musk has floated the idea of starting an in-house insurance company just for tesla owners that would really bring down the price. Kinda cool.

They really should have made the front look like their other cars to make it less awkward and build a nice brand identity.

The utterly bare interior is a massive turnoff for me. Just one giant touchscreen that's just kinda floating there and that's all you get.

But why would it bring the price down? Have all the current insurance companies decided to fuck over Tesla owners? If not how could tesla operate an insurance company more efficiently then existing ones?

The touchscreen being floating is the hangup for me. If it was integrated into the dash I would be ok with it but as is it looks like a poorly designed afterthought.

Tesla has access to insane amounts of telemetry data, collected from all their cars. It's very likely they'll base your insurance rates on said data and some algorithm to determine how big of a threat you are to other drivers (and yourself).

Ah yes. Insurance from a company that hasn't turned a profit yet. Brilliant idea.

Some providers are raising the prices for Tesla owners, yes. Whether those increases are justifiable is debatable. The idea behind the Tesla in-house insurance is that they have fuckloads of data and logs from EVERY tesla. Thus, they know the exact number and type of accidents that teslas get into, and the exact cost to repair those kinds of damages. And, they could provide it at-cost or just above-cost, as it's not like they need to get money out of it.

I'd buy one right now if I could get full autopilot.

let this hasnt made a profit meme die. Thier revenue increases every year and that new money goes to building out infrastructure.

Amazon didn't make a profit for 6-8 years also while they were expanding infrastructure then they decided they were done expanding and took over the world.

Why have other automakers not opened their own insurance branch? What makes the situation unique for Tesla?

Seems beefy enough to me. And, they've had the same exact floating configuration since the reveal a year ago. They would have changed it if they encountered any problems in the first hundred release candidate cars.

No idea. Possibly regulations or something.

>*muffled yelling*

anyone with a better understanding of aerodynamics can correct me but
why not just make the front like normal but basically turn the car into a giant spoiler on wheels, like the DB11 ''invsible spoiler'' thingy but the air goes into the front and out all around the car

All I know about aerodynamics is that Tesla tried to make the car have the lowest drag coefficient possible.

Don't know why the flat noes is the best, but it probably is.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't having airflow into the battery compartment help it cool down? Don't Tesla have problems with overheating batteries?

The problem isn't how strong the connection is, it's how the floating screen makes the entire thing look like some unfinished prototype.

Which is kinda fitting, because it's essentially Tesla's beta test for an affordable model.

Teslas will never go fast enough to need down force. All their aero will simply be put into cutting drag.

It does. Small opening at the very bottom to allow airflow across the batteries.

what if you LS swap it

They're liquid cooled, the vent that it visible probably is for the radiator.

I'd actually love this
since teslas are super rare around here you can always hear those fags when they see one
>Look man, its a tesla, listen they make no noise
>roll around with this
>redline the fucker

it would be shitty FWD since there is no room for a driveshaft though.

>make a gas guzzling tesla
>drive up to some hipster faggot's charting station
>start revving that V8

Everyone wants one. No need to make a post about it.

airflow over wheels is actually pretty important for efficiency. Same reason for the wacky wheels on some of the tm3s

I wish it were real, but seems it was only a joke while making this desk.

>wanting an ugly desk
fucking at least use an E30

>E30

It's desk at some posh office not scrapyard counter.

>implying a tesla is even close to being as aesthetic as the E30, both in and out

I was going to say that atleast no Tesla driver is retarded enough to put horrible aftermarket wheels or stance on their car.
This might still be a photoshop though?

dude people rice out GTRs. The people who do that have so much money they just don't care.

Does it have direct injection?

>oilcucks

I would want one, but Elon Musk runs me off on a primal level for some reason, and I can never feel comfortable supporting him. At least it's RWD

Why don't you trust God's gift to humanity user?

He has that look about him that he spends too much time tugging his horn and thinking about direct injection.

direct injection of the driver into the side of a semi

He threatens my two great lives (classic cars and nuclear power) for an uncertain vision of the future that he is plunging headlong into. Also, I'm really sensitive to anything that resembles a cult of personality, and you calling him a gift from God only reinforces that.

>At least it's RWD
And what's good about that? There's a good reason why Tesla owners are suggesting to look only for AWD Teslas.

Only AWD Teslas have direct injection

If I had one, I would disable one of the wheelspeed sensors to shut down TCS and ESC and get hektik. AWD may be quicker and have better range, but if I have to have an EV, I still want to have traditional ICE fun with it.

But you don't really think Jesus would deceive us with a false profit do you?

Well other carmakers are doing it too with their infotainment systems, Mazda for example. Just another retarded trend among many in "modern" "progressive" car design.

>I would disable one of the wheelspeed sensors
They may fail themselves and surprise you.

Can I get a realistic answer as to whether Model 3s are worth it? I can afford the deposit+can save enough to buy it outright by the time they'd actually get around to shipping it.

Almost any brand new car right now isn't worth it. Let alone something with a 17 inch display for a dashboard.

remember, the tax credit won't apply since over 200k people are in line ahead of you. Just don't forget that.

If you can afford it even with the +7500, I'd say yes. Just don't bother buying ANY of the software-upgrades, like AP or a bigger battery. It's better to drive it for a while to figure out if you actually need the AP/+range rather than assuming you do. And you can always get them down the road.
And don't forget to check to see if your state has incentives too. In MA I think it's a thousand bucks.
Furthermore, I *would* say get a used EV since they are screaming deals, but if you need more than the 90miles of a used leaf then the only other option is a used model S... But that would be 20k+ more than a 3.

Hey, even if you turn down the deposit in the end, it still lets you test drive of a 3; I think they are limiting test drives to the preorderers initially.

Just looked it up. I'll probably get 1/4 of it, so about 1800.
I'm thinking I'll still put down the deposit in the meantime.

I would strongly suggest doing it before the first handover event in six days. The number of orders will probably spike after it

welp i did it

I test drove some of the new Teslas since my mother was offering to buy me one as part of payment for helping with the family business, none of them felt nice.

The way the speedometer is on the corner of a screen on the Model X was extremely disorienting and almost unsafe since I had to take my eyes off the road to see how fast I'm going. The vehicle itself looked pretty abysmal, like Origins Deadpool crossed with an egg, and the interior was nothing to write home about. I feel like I can get more value out of a sedan or SUV that costs half as much.

I was honestly extremely disappointed, but my mother loved it.

>corner of the screen

what? it's right in the center

>it's a good investment
lmfao it'll be worth half what he paid for it in 3 years, just look at used Model S prices.

Guys, I heard the model 4 will have direct injection. Don't waste your time with the model 3.

Pic very related

you'd better not slap an EV meme vanity plate on it you fucker
oh and get it in silver. It looks nice in silver

Every state regulates insurance, they'd have to adhere to capital requirements and would have to make a lot of financial disclosures for their insurance business. Obviously they're publicly traded so they're not exactly strangers to filing financial information but it's not the same thing.

Could still be worth it though if Tesla becomes popular enough. They'd probably integrate their insurance software into the in-car computer, allowing you to report claims immediately, have use based discounts, etc.

plus, while the user can't access it, tesla does save the camera data from the eight cameras or whatever. Much better than a dinky Chinese dashcam... that is, if they provide those videos as evidence if you're not at fault.

Did you know that you can say "bug report!" in a tesla w/ voice command and it will send a screenshot of the system to Tesla people to look over? Kinda neat.

>Much better than a dinky Chinese dashcam... that is, if they provide those videos as evidence if you're not at fault.
I would assume this is something they'd do because if it were the Tesla driver's fault, they'd be paying out on the claim instead of Geico or whever the other driver's insurer

I genuinely think the Lucid Air looks way better than Tesla's cars.

of course, assuming they actually hit the road without substantial design changes.

but regardless, as it is now, they already have one feature that BTFO's Tesla.

>See that tablet?
>You can hide that

Man that roof is really domey and kinda ugly. It just doesn't look sleek like the S.

also,
>Make Digi-Dashes Great Again

This.

Looks weird.

This story is made up. Model 3's are not available to be drive yet and the S/X both have a center dash. No way you had to look to the corner of a center screen to see your speed.

they're pretty sleek from the side

are they actually hatchbacks or do they just do that """""coupe""""" styling thing that looks like a hatchback but isn't?

the back seats can fold down all the way, but the actual door in the back is a regular sedan

fucking christ i'm tired of that meme

why not make it an actual hatchback if they are gonna take their design cues?

pretty nice dessu

the model Y will be a hatchback crossover

>tfw it looks like a sedan

well whatever it looks like (this is the teaser photo btw), Musk says that it will be more popular than the 3, and that it will have its own special factory.

Maybe they will finally ditch the side mirrors and go cameras+rear view "mirror" screen? They wanted to do that with the X but the regulations just don't allow it right now.

regulations still don't. and I dont think side mirror regulations are likely to change for a very long time, if ever

I'd be tempted if they made a wagon.

how about a hearse?

Throw on some 5% tints on that.

Stick a woodchipper on the back and you're in business.

They did, you can insure your car through their financial services (i.e. Volkswagen bank, FCA bank, etc..) and tie the insurance on and for the car financing period if you want