So Freemasons are the Protestant equivalent of the Jesuits, right?

So Freemasons are the Protestant equivalent of the Jesuits, right?

not even a little

Why not? Both are politically active in ways that other parts of their respective religions aren't. Everyone knows the French Revolution and American Revolution involved Masons at high levels of power.

"Protestant" is not a religion.
Freemasonry is not part of any religion.
Freemasonry is not a political organization, either.

Freemasons aren't necessarily Protestants.

But they are similar, in that they are both the focus of inane conspiracy theories which exaggerate their influence

>"Protestant" is not a religion
I guess you could call it a heresy, but it's a stretch to say that it's not a religion.

>Freemasonry is not part of any religion.
Freemasons are required to admit of belief in a higher power. Freemason is inextricably linked up with various historically manifested institutions of religious practice and learning, among them Protestant churches and the Jewish community In addition to this, I at no point implied equivalence or identity between Masonry and non-Catholic Western Christianity, or the Society of Jesus and the Catholic Church.

>Freemasonry is not a political organization, either.
I don't think I called it a political organization.

>in that they are both the focus of inane conspiracy theories which exaggerate their influence
Where am I talking about conspiracy theories? I'm just asking a question. As I said, it's simply factual. Robespierre, Washington, the list goes on. Not to mention American Presidents who were Masons. Whether or not they're actively conspiring, the fact of the matter is that this is an institution and set of institutions that binds historically significant and politically powerful people together via a series of rites and rituals that are explicitly made inscrutable to outsiders.

Freemasons are stupid because Protniggers are illegitimate

Me thinks you doth protest too much. I never said you engaged in any conspiracy theories, I just said that was a similarity.

> I'm just asking a question
Literally JAQing off

>I never said you engaged in any conspiracy theories, I just said that was a similarity.
Your response was really lacking in content, then.
>Literally JAQing off
No idea what that means, every other thread on Veeky Forums asks questions like this.

The answer to your question is no, because Freemasonry is non-denominational not a Protestant organization like the Jesuits are a Catholic organization.

And the reason many revolutionaries and other political leaders were Freemasons is because during the 18th and 19th centuries Freemasonry was a popular social organization for educated bourgeois men, and those politicians you listed were educated bourgeois men, and the French and American Revolutions were made by educated bourgeois men

I guess I should have mentioned the Jews in the OP.

>but it's a stretch to say that it's not a religion

Make you should look up what the word means.

I've done that often enough to know that there's no consensus among anyone who matters.

The answer still would have been "no". Freemasonry has exactly zero relationship to Protestantism or Judaism. It's a deistic organization, primarily. It's a harmless social organization, anyway

>It's a harmless social organization, anyway
There's literally no such thing.

Your question has been answered. If you have something else to say, say it.

There's no consensus about what the word protestant means, really?

>Your question has been answered.
So stop replying.
There's no consensus on what the word 'religion' means. I guess you weren't clear enough.
A Protestant is someone who believes in the basic tenets of Christianity, in particular that one is saved by faith alone and rejecting the authority of the Pope. It's distinguished from other religions like Catholicism. Calvinism and other non-Catholic Christian denominations can be distinguished, as well. They're effectively distinct religions, though, especially as far as the gap between Protestantism and Catholicism goes. They don't even use the same Bible.

>So Freemasons are the Protestant equivalent of the Jesuits, right?

Only in the sense they are overly represented in conspiracy theories. Otherwise there isnt much similar

Freemasons are a deist boys' club where grown men can play games, smoke cigars and make up silly rituals.
Jesuits had drive and purpose and actively tried to change the world.

Freemasonry is open to all monotheists, Muslim, Jews, perhaps even Zoroastrians, as long as they believe in one god.