How would one go about protecting a car stereo...

How would one go about protecting a car stereo? I am a college user living with my low income family and their stereos have all been stole.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JUUcXkgW1TY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what year is this?
remove the faceplate and take it with you...

People STILL steal car radios?

Ya, this isn't really a thing anymore. My truck got broke into...they left a $900 amp and a decent sub just sitting there...i know they thought about it because they ripped all the wires out...but left it in the end

Install out of sight, like glovebox or under the seat then run your aux cord to it.

who the fuck steals car stereos anymore
where the hell do you live

>who the fuck steals car stereos anymore
>where the hell do you live
Of course they do. It's not just the traditional car thief, but the homeless have taken over breaking windows out and stealing whatever is inside.

As long as the faceplate is there, they will steal it. It will either be traded in for something else at their fence. Or they will get drugs in return. Today's fences are pretty slick and they have alibis ready due to plausible deniability.

Heck, in my area, some criminals will go steal your catalytic converter while your car is parked at the theatre (true story last year) or parked at the community center (true story last year).

>How would one go about protecting a car stereo?
My fancy stereo system was installed by the Car Toys audio shop as a "stealth" installation. The factory radio was left in the dash and was still functional. But the remote control let me switch between the factory unit and the 3rd party head unit which was mounted under the rear dashboard (trunk).

Stealth is the way to go especially if you have a factory unit with touchscreen, custom shaped bezels, contoured control buttons, or if the shape in the dash is not a rectangular DIN or double DIN shape.

The other thing about stealth is that having only the factory unit visible means the thieves don't assume you have a separate amplifier and separate subwoofer unit to steal. Sometimes, even with the faceplate missing, they will break in to steal the amp and subwoofer. The expensive subwoofers are worth the trouble of unbolting.

Can you tell me more about the stealth installation? How exactly do they make it possible to switch between the two? I want a modern head unit with BT in my car but at the same time I like that it still has the original 80's cassette deck that actually looks like it belongs there. Being able to use either and switch with just a button would really be ideal for me.

So, a third party double din with a touch screen mounted in the rear.
How do you use it?

>2017
>having a car stereo
>not just have a cable/bluetooth to your phone

like, whats the point of having a deck?

Wow can't believe people still steal these. I live in a pretty bad neighborhood and all my cars had colorful head units in them. Never had a problem.

>get Delorean
>invent flux capacitor
>steal plutonium from the Libyans
>88mph
>jump into the future to 2017

You don't.
Go buy a Sony radio and bring the face plate with you, they replace the radio if you have the faceplate.

>Who the fuck steals car stereos
>It's like the cheapest thing possible
>Nobody steals anything from a shitbox like this surrounded by cars with actual value

All things I said before my car stereo got nicked and the thief even had the audacity to empty my coin drawer filled with coffee and toilet coins.

Victim of a 90's crime.

The remote control has the functions on it. And it also has voice control due to another module being purchased for it.

>Can you tell me more about the stealth installation?
Stealth installation is a commonly used approach. Everything in the car superficially looks like factory OEM gear. Of course, don't brag to everyone about your stealthed gear or you defeat the purpose.

>Who the fuck steals car stereos
>It's like the cheapest thing possible
Because there is nothing else in the cars to steal other than the air bags. Breaking the window to get in has become mentally easy for people, so it's not a problem to do so. Lean up firmly and then hit that one spot properly to take advantage of the tempered glass structure and it breaks without a loud sound due to leaning on it properly. While tinted glass makes it slightly harder to remove, it also quiets down the breaking sound.

>Wow can't believe people still steal these
Because stealing is cheaper than buying one.

Move away from niggers

>move away from nigs
>they invade the area you moved too within 5 years anyway

>ITT:
>nobody knows dick about head units
par for the course fuckos

Niggers will steal anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=JUUcXkgW1TY

this

>because they ripped all the wires out...but left it in the end
sounds like something scared them off before they could finish

But do they replace your fucked dashboard and fucked door lock/window?
The radio is the cheap part when someone breaks in to steal it.

One of my co-workers had all of his wheels jacked off of his van. They didn't even have the courtesy to put the van on cinder blocks, they used milk crates.

>they used milk crates
duh
those plastic milk crates weigh nothing, why lug around cinder blocks?

one of my cars was stolen and found on them too

>Move away from niggers
They use the bus system to commute to where I lived. They come to your homes in the daytime looking for ones whose residents are out working. That's the best time to loot them.

The buses have bicycle racks so they then get on their bicycles to ride around neighborhoods looking for opportunities and to get a feel for when people are home or not. When it gets into the evening hours, they get back on the buses and go back to wherever they go.

I had a roommate who had a fairly beat up Mitsubishi Gallant. We lived in a cheap apartment complex and somebody broke into his car, ignored the radio, ignored the $100+ pair of shoes in the back seat, and took nothing but the aux cord. The fucking aux cord.

>van
who would want to steal steelies

They needed new tires. So they went shopping for rims that would fit their car. It just happened that user's friend's van was spotted by them. Serendipity for the thieves. They can stop searching.

They supposedly broke into 14 cars and I was about a 1/4 down the road. I think they were just looking for guns and money. They did one creepy thing though. They opened the manual and pulled out the card showing the (unchangeable) keypad code and just left it in the seat...now I know to never leave that in there. I didn't even think that code was preset. In the end they stole my phone charger and I unhooked the keypad.

MacGyver says put a small velcro strip above the radio. Sew or staple the velcro strip to a short black (or dash colored) piece of cloth. When in a dangerous area, put the cloth over the front of the radio to hide it from casual observation.

Picture:
something that matches the colors of the picture OP used

rig an anti-tamper mechanism with a bomb behind the faceplate, if you try to remove it without first rotating it 90 degrees in either direction you get fucked.

Why don't you just go stock radio? If you really want aux then just buy that cassette to aux shit and every time you park just take it out and put it in the glove box or take it with you.

A factory radio doesn't worrrreeee about being stolen. And the newer ones actually sound pretty good as compared to those from 2006 and older. The latest ones sound even better so it's at the point many people no longer buy 3rd party head units. Because they don't need to.