Buy used car, needs new shock absorbents and track rod ends

>Buy used car, needs new shock absorbents and track rod ends
>Since I want this car to serve me for a while decide to do few extra things
>Replace the following with brand new parts: Shock absorbers front and rear, springs front and rear, front suspension arms, track rods, track rods ends.
>Do wheel alignment once done
>
>Now car drives like a jello

What did I break?
Pic related my car

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nYSCG46aL0E
youtube.com/watch?v=V0Lj27ltDn0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I bet you forgot to preload before you tightened everything and ruined your bushings. Or your shock/spring combo isnt stiff enuff

>preload before you tightened everything
I work on jack stands so I don't have that option.

Nigger you do it the hard way. One corner at a time after its been lowered back onto the ground

Or with the jack while everythings still on stands. Just be careful you dont come off your stands. Preloading is not an option. If you dont do it, you will ruin your bushings.

Unless you went with poly bushings that dont need preload. Just replacing twice a year. Also, what car, OP? 240?

OP here
I bought shocks absorbers and springs separately and my suspension does not need preload.
It's 2006 Grande Punto Sporting. 1.9JTD 130BHP version.
Part numbers of the stuff I bought is:
front springs: CS4717
front shock absorbers: GS3046FL
dust covers: 6146400002

>DIESEL
>FUCKING
>FIAT

Please be gentle this is my first car that needs to get me to work and back

I'm memeing, there's one cunt on here that drives a 1.3l diesel Punto and he shills the fuck out of everything Italian and especially Fiat, while calling everything else shit.

After buying this car for £1k and within first month investing into it £1.2k, I'm definitely not gonna shill for FIAT

>my suspension does not need preload
Wahh!! Whys my car ride like jello!!??!! Rubber bushing suspensions need to be preloaded, its not an argument. Whoever told you otherwise is wrong.

quite possible, I know shit about cars anyway.
So how do I preload it (and what is it exactly)?

Jesus. Hand tighten all your suspension bolts. Let the car back down. Jack up each arm until that corner is fully compressed(or the car starts comming off the ground). Tighten the bolts the rest of the way, ideally torque to spec. Put wheel back on. Repeat for the other three corners. Youll need another alignment when youre done.

You put all the new stuff on, but you don't actually tighten the parts that clamp onto the bushings - you just do them so that they are safe to be put weight on

When thats done you lower the back to the ground and THEN you tighten them to the spec. This is because rubber is flexible, and tightening them in non-preloaded position means that they don't "settle" properly

Alright so that what it means. Since I know shit about cars it was actually my dad that was replacing it for me. I told him this method and he said that's exactly the way he did it.

I hope so. If youre dailying it and you fucked this up, its only gunna get worse. Bushings are a bitch to replace and if it gets real bad youll need new tires too. If the car still feels too loose invest in stiffer springs or adjustable shocks

I forgot to mention that first the shock absorbers with springs were replaced, and about 2 weeks later I did suspension arms, track rods, and track rod ends. Only after the latter the car starter to feel like jello. On the positive side steering wheel works much lighter now.
>inb4 driving 2 weeks without wheel alignment
my tyres are due to be replaced soon anyway

Check the air pressure and condition of the tires. Either or both of those could make for a funny ride if they're not ok.

LOL

FUCKING DIESEL PUNTO

Just light it on fire you faggot.

>buying a used car
>BUYING A FUCKING DIESEL PUNTO
>working on a fucking diesel punto

lel

>condition
Shit, but just as shit as they've been 2-3 weeks ago. They are being replaced within next few weeks
>air pressure
Haven't checked for about 2 weeks which is before I did 2nd part of suspension, but gonna have a look now.

You didn't preload and most probably the place where you went for alingment just did convergence and not much more.

Your caster ill probably beyond spec and camber very probably too since those don't use to be adjustable on the fly on italian pieces of shit.

They need to be adjusted through the hardware on the alignment rack.

Good luck finding a grease monkey willing to do that. You're going to get raped.

That's what you get for buying italian shit.

>buying a Fiat for 1k
Wew, I like Fiats and that sounds like a bad idea

>Fiat
youtu.be/nYSCG46aL0E

I have a 2005 1.3 multijet with 200k km and never done anything to it.
Why bother uness your car has more than 300k km?

alright checked, it's all good.
2.6 bars on the front and 2.3 on the back, as per car's handbook.

Is it possible that now that I got new suspension I can feel how shit the tyres are? They are Michelin with some good tread but you can see the rubber starting cracking on sides and they are 10 years old.
pic related

>10 years old
>cracks

please watch this and think twice before going onto the highway with these.

youtube.com/watch?v=V0Lj27ltDn0

jesus almighty fuck

those tires are fucked beyond any resemblance of safety

2.6?!?!?! for a fucking punto?

i drive a heavier car and that thing only requires 2.2 at the front, check the sticker on the door/fuel cap im pretty much sure you're putting air for a different car/engine combination

and fucking get new tires before you kill yourself or anyone else you piece of shit

As I said, new tyres as on its way.
Pic related my car's handbook

That's like 37ish psi right? Doesn't sound too extreme.

That's a medium load value. Fucks sake. Fiat can't even get the fucking tire pressures right. What a bunch of niggers.

I might be wrong, I highly doubt it though, but check your tires after a couple miles with those pressures. I'm going to bet you'll end up seeing the tire get worn at the center faster. Especially the front ones.

With so much fucking better cars out there why the fuck did you end up buying a Fiat and even worse, throwing money at it.

WHY

Fuuuuuccccckkkkkkiiiiinnnngggg
Ssssssss
Uuuuuuu
Mmmmm
Mmmmm
Eeeeeee
Rrrrrrrrrrr

That`s nothing, faggot

OP here,
Someone told me to change 'Front Anti Roll Stabilizer bar Bush'. Could that be it?

What were you expecting, tho?
Some people just abuse their cars and don't even maintain them properly.
What mileage does it have?

It's a diesel, dummy.

How about you just go to a mechanic and let him do whatever it's needed?
Fucking around with the suspension not knowing what you're doing isn't really advisable.

>What mileage does it have?
125k miles / 200 k km

At least engine runs smoothly (after replacing glow plugs, alternator, timing belt, water pump, oil, all filters, and I'm still waiting for fuel injector and lamba sensor to be delivered).

200k is nothing for that engine.
It's a shame the previous owner didn't maintain it properly, though.
With that mileage/age they should've been replaced a long time ago.

A friend of mine just replaced the shocks in his C4, also a 2006. Previous owner never replaced them.

According to all papers I got with the car, the car was serviced at fiat until 2012, then for 2 years at some private garage, and then pretty much nothing until I got it.
I can also tell the car was crashed in front right because of how many things were wrong there. Like for example I discovered I had 2 LEFT track rod ends installed, and not a word of it in the papers.
Just have a look at this beautiful aircon radiator I replaced.

That's a fucking shame man. Any structural damage, tho?

Not that I, my dad, or friend mechanic can see.

Nothing on the radiator core support?
Probably just a low speed rear ending, then.

But yeah, all in all it wasn't a bad deal, honestly.
That engine is bulletproof, probably the most reliable 1.9 ever made.
The fact it works fine with all that abuse and not being maintained properly just proves it.

But don't try and mess with suspension/strut shit, go to a mechanic and let him do it. Better safe than sorry.