My stepdad is offering to pay for my university (can't be community college) but it has to be under 20K per year and my...

my stepdad is offering to pay for my university (can't be community college) but it has to be under 20K per year and my grades were shit(3.0 with GED and average SAT).

The only places in my state that fulfill this are SHIT-tier.. not even ranked on college ranking sites, don't have engineering programs unless you count (3-years-of-physics + 2-years-at-a-real-university transfer-program) thing where they give you a physics and engineering bachelors after 5 years... should I just do it anyway even if the colleges are absolute shit since it's free? Should I just go for an associates and then transfer somewhere else and gtfo out of dodge that way?

I feel like I have a really good opportunity here but with a huge catch and I don't know what the best option is.

Swallow your pride and go to a Community college

no, i'm saying he won't pay for community college.

Why the fuck not? ItsIt's the same as going to a shitty college. Well then go to a shitty college.

1. he thinks community college is a waste of time

2. there isn't one near here

have you looked at places outside of the US? Education in Germany or the Netherlands is dirt cheap. You can go to uk and have around the same tuition, but for a 3 year degree at a university.

I went to 3 community colleges and SJSU...

All three of the community colleges were far better, cheaper, and you could actually get classes you needed....

I just ate dinner last night with the head of "robotics" at UCSC...

Complete joke of a program, my dad (made shit loads in robotics) and I were laughing at him...

Complete waste of an education, and he even bragged about how he cut 10% of the content, another old jew asked "did the students get a 10% refund" the robotics teacher laughed and said no, just an easy way to raise tuition 10%.

It's not what your major is or where you study, it's what you earn and how you sell yourself that counts.

in California, the most efficient way to get through school is...

community college general ed 1 year, and transfer....

DO NOT get an AA degree (waste of time)

Tell your dad you won't be able to get into a college worth paying for unless you have a 3.5GPA+ in 1-2 years of community college and retake your SAT.

Tell him he might as well be burning his money if he sends you to University right away.

Tell him employers look at cumulative GPA and going to community college is the best way to inflate your cumulative GPA.

>go to community
>stop being a piece of shit and get as close to 4.0 as you can
>apply to transfer to better schools
>get accepted
>succeed in life

I agree with this user, but also, consider moving to another state.

I don't know how it is in other states, but in NY you would only have to pay the out-of-state tuition the first year, because after that you are considered a resident. SUNY schools are decent, and actually a pretty good deal for their price.

I wish I had parents who paid for my college. My dad said he would and makes plenty to afford it, but I ended up getting shafted with the bill. At least it's only 25k

this. get him to reconsider that part. I dont see why he wouldnt want to pay less for the same outcome;.

i found a community college in another state that has dorms and they sort of don't really call it community college, really good transfer programs directly into their state universities etc... I'm just going to do this. It's like $750 per month for a private room in their "dorms" which are just condos and a residency waiver makes your tuition practically the same as in-state students. i'll go here, kick ass, and transfer into their good state university. the only problem now is that their state universities are like 50K per year for non-residents. fuck.

>their state universities are like 50K per year for non-residents

you can usually get the resident tuition rate after the first year.

Also
>$750 per month for a private room in their "dorms"
faggot, share a room, make some friends and save money at the same time

they don't give you residency if you're in the state for school

>share a room
they don't even have that option

>they don't give you residency if you're in the state for school

alright, they do in NY, different laws I guess

they do if you're mexican in California.

Hey dude, can I ask you a question?

I'm just wondering, how did your stepfather offer to pay for your school? Did he come up to you and talk about it, or did you go up to him and ask him to pay for it?

I only ask because my parents are the complete opposite, specifically my dad. I expressed a lot of interest in going to university after high school, but all my dad ever did was try to discourage me from going and never really helped me figure out how I could pay for it. He makes a pretty good salary and he went to college for a degree in CIS, so I never understood why he would be so against it-- I explicitly told him I would plan on going into engineering/accounting to get a decent job, but he still seemed against it. Just curious how things go for other families.

they have always been adamant about school and have always said they'd pay for it during high school

>wants engineering
>has shit grades
Youre taking the lazy but smart meme too seriously

It doesnt matter, a 3.0 is enough to get him into a couple halfway decent engineering schools, and so long as he applies himself then he should be fine.

come to the netherlands
its 2k a year maybe 5k living expenses a year.
add 8k for fun and vacations.
and let your stephdad have the leftover 5k.
or put it in a savings account if you want

Go to a cheaper state and establish residency. Just work a wage cuck job until you get residency, then apply in state tuition.

>maybe 5k living expenses a year.

I know you're Dutch, but you have no idea what you're talking about. 5k a year is impossible in any of your major cities (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague).

I agree the school prices are insane, specially since it also applies to Masters, but for living expenses I'd say you are way off.

>step dad paying for wife's sons education
>thinks community college is a waste

dumb beta cux