Is the "hot hatch" a meme? A lot of people say these things are fast. But on paper, they don't really impress me

Is the "hot hatch" a meme? A lot of people say these things are fast. But on paper, they don't really impress me..

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3ZbGdkyrAis
youtu.be/WzPOs72rTKE
youtube.com/watch?v=kw1nqpztTD4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're "fast" compared to the regular 700cc diesel version but slow compared the the average car in North America.

>average car in north america
a 10 year old camry?

99.9% of hot hatches are memes
>fwd
>turbo ecotrash engine
>shit interior
>owned by cancerous, meme spouting, reddit retards

the only hot hatch that isn't a meme is the focus rs, because it actually has real awd

>inb4 dumb niggers are going to try to justify haldex as """"""""awd""""""""

Most cars in America are incredibly slow.

Likely a leased newer model with 200hp.

But even the RS seems slow compared to a real car

Hot hatches are quick enough to have some fun but they aren't really fast. All the new "hyper hatches" are pretty fast though. Focus RS, A45 AMG, and Golf R are legitimately fast.

In what world is 4.7 second 0-60 slow? All while having space for 5 adults and tons of stuff.

ITT: benchracing

What about the Civic Type R?

Your average mall crawling pickup will do 0-60 in under 6. The slowest shitbox you can buy does 0-60 in under 10 which is still fast by European standards. In the wealthier and more developed parts of North America the average vehicle HP is over 200hp.

delusional

In STI and GTR land

This is what this average parking lot looks like. Do the math.

tune a gti and it'll feel alright. thats about it

literally none of those cars are faster than a GTi and other hot hatches

Nice RS.

They're fun and quick but not conventional highway pulling fast. If you live in or around some back roads that have fun turns than they're great. If you live with nothing but flats for as far as you can see, you're probably up getting a V8.

What do you mean "feel" alright??

no. they're entry level performance though.
they're somewhat fast, but some are decently priced and they all have practicality.
honestly the biggest appeal of a hot hatch to me is that they're light and they're nimble. it makes them fun to push to their limits and do dumb shit in.

it'll give you enough oomph to satisfy you, at least it does for me. stock wasn't bad but it wasn't anything to get excited over

Just got an 08 speed 3. I wouldn't say it's "fast" but I like it.

This. I don't live somewhere where I can drive something with extremely high performance at its limits, so a hatch that I can throw around and rip through the gears without running out of the shitty ass roads around here works just fine.

>STI
What? Newest STI is 4.6 second 0-60...it's pretty much the same and doesn't have a hatch.

It's a weird segment because actual sports cars do exist. You could get a "sporty" Ford Focus or you could get a Mustang. You could get a GTI or you could get a TT. Like I want a sports car, but I think I'll get a four cylinder front wheel drive hatchback instead. Why?

If you have friends or take long trips with people in your car a 4 door hatchback is really nice. I prefer coupes and 2 seaters but if I have to have a single car a hot hatch is the best compromise.

If you have space for 2 cars or have no friends a dedicated fun car is better.

FWD.
The Civic Type R sits in a weird spot between the GTI and ST and the real performance hatches like the RS and AMG.
>inb4 ring lap time
literally nobody cares.

Even the new Volvo V90 t8 can do that with a 2 liter engine.

Anyone who says the gti is "slow" is smoking something that ain't too dank... a simple tuned mk7 gti is a fast car for a good price... if you want to go over the top and mod the shit out of it, you can get crazy and make it something with serious speed

>tuned
Even my lawn mower is fast tuned, faggot

Hm good point. If I had any friends I probably woulda thought of that myself, lol.

Lol. Bud I doubt you even have a lawn mower. But guess what, a gti would still beat it

>buy 1k lawn mower
>spend 24k in some simple mods
>literally faster than the Chiron

Not released yet but a quick google shows it does it in 5.4. GTI territory but not Golf R.

Late model GTIs are usually owned by people who wanted something fast but don't know anything about cars.

I like them but hate their fan base of automotive know nothings.

This thread gave me cancer. Even for Veeky Forums this is beyond delusional and retarded.

I love old hatches, Golf MK1, Peugeot 205 etc. etc.
They are more built for European countryside grinding, and you can park them and maneuver in the cities easier.

I just bought this, and took out up to the mountains. It makes more sense on a twisty road than anywhere else. It will get BTFO in a straight line by a Toyota sienna.

You need to be 18 or older to post here. Go renew your bus pass, Timmy
>But on paper, they don't really impress me..
Paper's all you got you benchracing loser. >

Tuned late model GTI's cAn get 1/4 times of around 11/12 seconds.

>Drag racing
>Fwd
Numale detected

>all those fat people haulers

There is a special kind of drag racing called fwd category and it has been popular since the 90's...

I've been. It's interesting, but your better off not and just building a drag truck or beater with an ls or small block.

>instead of a hatch I want a "sporty" Mustang, or a literally literal Golf with a bodykit

You what, m8?

When the fastest thing in the photo is an FR-Sow.

>posts a parking lot full of trucks that weigh at least 2,5+ tonnes
>"do the math"

I did, you delusional prick, it adds up to 5 McDonalds menus.

You mean the Focus, right?

>A lot of people say these things are fast.

About the same as a 10 year old Lambo or Ferrari for the golf:

20,600 m (67,600 ft) 7:47 Ferrari 599 GTB
20,600 m (67,600 ft) 7:47 Lamborghini MurciƩlago LP 640
20,600 m (67,600 ft) 7:47.19 Volkswagen Golf GTI Clubsport S

Other times to compare it to
7:59 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51
7:59 Dodge Viper SRT-10
8:06.29 Ford Focus RS
8:07 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack (2015)

no. The Focus in that is a base model.

Nope.
Toyota GT86 8:44.90
Ford Focus ST 8:51

While using electric motors in the rear, yes.

10 year old Camrys with V6s make like over 270bhp

There's a gray focus RS dumbasses.

Vent's behind wheels are wrong, it's not a real RS.

You know the GKN system is near identical to Haldex right? The main difference is Haldex can send up to 100% of the power to the rear wheels vs only 70% for the Twinster.

Dumb nigger thinking the RS has "real" AWD google it and you will see it's just Haldex with a different name. If Haldex isn't AWD then Twinster ain't neither.

>beat on the RS
>goes into FWD
>"real" AWD

>when you're faster than a Toyobaru in a straight line but everyone still calls you slow

and a measly 23 mpg combined

>gook trash

if you think that shitheap is faster than a toyobaru you're absolutely delusional

but hey, at least the gooks didn't steal the design of a GTI & came up with something original

It is. The whole bodykit and wheels check out. You wouldn't be able to see the rear wheel outtakes from that angle, anw.

>straight line
Into the trash with it.

>rear wheel
Moron.

It's a focus RS

Probably the only gook original design, tbqh.

It's a RS, either way. Fucking look at it and compare it to pics on the internet.

>on paper
Go drive one you fucking faggot

>implying Veeky Forums is anything but busriding benchracers
It's amazing how sensible the post your car/car owner threads are in general compared to the rest of this board.

Dont know where you are, but in here Northern Europe it is already available and my local volvo dealer already has couple of them t8's. Also the official brochure says it will do 0-100km/h which is 0-62mph in 4.8 seconds, so the 0-60mph is something like 4.7s.

youtu.be/3ZbGdkyrAis

It's faster than a V6 Stang too.
youtu.be/WzPOs72rTKE

And anyone calling it a shitheap solely because its Korean is easily dismissed. The Fiesta and Focus are easily the shoddiest hatches available today.

They are for people who wants to be sporty and practical at the same time. I want a Hyundai I30n so bad.

>paper

I would post here more often but I'm tired of the unbridled shit show. It seems to me that at least half of the OP's on this board have no friends to banter and shittalk with so they come to a board they have marginal correlating interest in and shit it up. This thread is a prime example.
>r hot hachets gud
>i nvr drive 1 tho
>dey 2 slow

They're econoboxes that could be a completely fun car on the track.

On paper, you should only look at the power-to-weight ratio and the suspension of these things.

>Fun

That's nice. The Veloster is faster than the Toyobaru.

It could even have a rocket thruster, it's still an ugly gook box.

Is that it's big claim to fame in one dull metric it is slightly better than a car not intended to be used in that way. The gooks are desperate aren't they. What is the next big thing from it, it seats more than a BAC Mono and costs less than a Veyron.

Koreans haven't caused this big of a meltdown since the nuclear crisis.

>Hot hatches aren't fast
Well maybe they're not dragsters but they're not made to do straight line racing
They can do this instead, which is pretty acceptable
youtube.com/watch?v=kw1nqpztTD4

What kind of meltdown? Only old people or generally car illiterate people buy Kias/Hyundais.
They are also absolutely incapable of coming up with a design language of their own, every Hyundai/Kia is a copy of a german or italian car.

How about comparing it to something else in the hot hatch class. What is it's 'ring time (that's what the N stands for after all) so we can compare it to the Golf, Focus and Civic.

Not true look at the reliability stats for Kia, the worst on the market making even Fiat and Ford look acceptable. They cause meltdowns all over the place.

FWD and still faster than an RS around a track. Besides, drive the RS long enough and it becomes FWD too.

Hyundai has poached most German and British designers and engineers. Similar to how the Germa s have all hited Chinese and Japanese designers (its the only explanation for recent German designs). But you knew that already. Or you didn't and you're as retarded as everyone says.

Lolno.

There is no Veloster N yet. That'll be in 2020 with the new gen.

If the new i30 N is any indication, which it is since they're basically the same cars, then the Veloster N will do pretty well.

>You could get a GTI or you could get a TT

Lolyes 2017 report on cars up to 2 years old.

And still be faster than a Viper so I guess it's not a problem.

JD Power's report on overall dependability 2017.

>JD Power

>have to compare against a 20 yr old viper to make yourself look good

>Reputable research organization

Based on callouts to recovery services.

Based on Survey

>Based on callouts to

Source?

bfy(dot)tw/D1Wg