Welp Veeky Forums, my first car, a 1999 malibu, finally kicked the bucket after 4 years so it's time to step my game up...

Welp Veeky Forums, my first car, a 1999 malibu, finally kicked the bucket after 4 years so it's time to step my game up. Looking for a fun, but daily driver. Im an under 25 male so i'd also prefer my insurance to not skyrocket, but i dont want to get another ugly shitbox. My price range is under $6000. I live a fair distance away from any big california city, so my selections arent too great. So far only thing ive been interested in was a 97 miata for 3k. Requesting your help / ideas for what to keep my eye on. Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-impreza-miles/6234730535.html
slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-outback-limited-awd/6226009595.html
slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-outback/6169489617.html
slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-impreza-rs-obo/6218312321.html
santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-legacy-outback-spd/6194164612.html
santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-forester-awd/6196977675.html
youtube.com/watch?v=hp_eyUush7c
youtube.com/watch?v=tp59b3cJB4U
youtube.com/watch?v=-RtUEBRu6BA
youtube.com/watch?v=D5UORvDLqP0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well, the Miata is a pretty reliable lil shitbox. Simple, not thirsty and easy to work on. Had to change the spark plugs twice though.

I think you know the answer, OP

Subaru, just not a WRX or a 2.5 RS. Say a Legacy Outback, an OG Forester or a Forester XT.
Modify those. Subarus are built like automotive legos. You're car didn't come with a specific option? The wiring is already there for it. It was cheaper for Subaru to make 1 wiring harness for everything.

that's what I like to hear, as my biggest failure with the malibu was inexperience, i would like to be able to learn about and work on my car. main interest in the miata or a similar car is the large community surrounding it.

likewise, the stigma of them being gay is kinda unfortunate. But i would like to believe i'm confident enough to not worry about trivial shit like that.

this is also something i've been looking heavily into, so it's nice to get some reinforcement that I'm on the right track. I've heard all around they're fun and reliable. there was actually a 2.5 Impreza RS on craigslist for around 3600 a few months ago, but ironically enough I decided not to buy it because my car was still working fine and i felt i didn't need to spend the money. I sure am kicking myself now for that.

hhr SS model
just shy 300hp 3100 lb weight

don't go out of your way for a 2.5RS or a WRX or you will get raped by insurance.
It's why I suggested the Forester, Forester XT and Legacy Outback.

what about something like this? I would've really preferred to find something manual, but i'm getting desperate now that my car has really shit the bed.

>what about something like this?
nopicture.jpg

lol forgot link sorry stressed
slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-impreza-miles/6234730535.html

none around my area at all on craigslist unfortunately. honestly not too impressed by chevrolet either lol.

slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-outback-limited-awd/6226009595.html
slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-outback/6169489617.html
slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-impreza-rs-obo/6218312321.html
santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-legacy-outback-spd/6194164612.html
santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-forester-awd/6196977675.html

definitely more of a small commuter car type, idk if i'm really into the larger cars. I could see myself in an outback, not a forester though. appreciate the links though.

>idk if i'm really into the larger cars.
save up some money and drop a WRX engine into the Legacy Outback.
It's a popular swap, and virtually the same platform as the Impreza since Subaru lacked funds at the time. Same performance, but you pay lower insurance. If you swap in a WRX engine (or pay someone to do it), it becomes a sleeper.
It's actually a very common swap because it just bolts right in.
youtube.com/watch?v=hp_eyUush7c

oh wow, that's pretty awesome. I defintely have some interest in the outback. The first one linked said it needs work on the engine though, and right now i'm looking for reliability so i might have to hit up the other guy and see if i can get him to drop the price a bit. also gonna go look around my local used dealerships and see if i spot any. thanks man

Tons of guys do this in Western Canada.

I prefer the factory body kit of the Legacy Outback since it seems somewhat ricer inspired, but a normal Legacy wagon will do as well. It also seems that Outback versions are more common.

>What's the difference between the Legacy, and the Legacy Outback?
ride height, body kit, roof height (the actual roof has a raised bubble on Outbacks that isn't there on normal Legacy's), and slight electrical differences.

The Outback was created because Subaru wanted to cash in on the SUV craze that was popular in the 90s, but they didn't have the money. So they took their mid-size family wagon and jacked up the height until if could be classified as an SUV. Then about 2 years after the Outback was released, they came out with the Forester, on the same platform going after the same market.
Legacy's and Foresters are heavier than Imprezas, but there's advantages there too because they're so much cheaper to insure, and it's so much easier to find one that hasn't been fucked to death

was curious about the difference, thank you. Will definitely look around at legacy over a regular outback but i need to get a new car asap so i'll take whatever looks best first / is closest. what do you think about the impreza wagons like the other one you linked? not bad for 3800.

Impreza wagons are great, but the imsurance will be higher, especially for 2.5RS models and WRX models. They're so cheap morons get ahold of them, wrap them around trees trying to be Ken Block, and it drives up insurance rates.
Don't rule out Foresters either. 2004+ models got an XT model that was basically a WRX except with a better engine. It was basically an STI engine with a smaller turbo.

>the mighty 350z just got smoked by a family of five and a dog

kek
Reminds me of the time I smoked my friend's 350z in a stock GC8 and he got bootyblasted for weeks.

If you get off on sleepers, and assuming you can find one because they're as rare as hen's teeth, a 1987-1990 Dodge Caravan or Plymouth Voyager is an interesting choice. They were available with an optional 2.5L turbocharged I4 that's endlessly reliable and takes mods like a champ

fair enough. I will keep an eye out for them if you say so, i know it's stupid but it just doesn't seem to have the look i'm going for. If I see an XT I will have to think a little more on that though.

youtube.com/watch?v=tp59b3cJB4U
youtube.com/watch?v=-RtUEBRu6BA

you could get a volkswagen tdi like a jetta or a golf. They run forever and they're trubocharged. first thing to do to those is get an egr delete and they gain like 5-13 horsepower for only like 70 bucks

if you're looking for reliability a TDI will go to 450,000 and even 650,000 miles if you take good car of it. even then i bet the tranny will give out before the engine. also turns out they have a huge community in the west and in europe

they also have insane torque
youtube.com/watch?v=D5UORvDLqP0

these are actually pretty nice, there is a TDI on craigslist in nice condition but it's auto and I was really trying to learn stick. I did want RWD or AWD so i could be dorifto kingu but i've run out of time waiting for a nice 240 to pop up. I'll keep my eye out for one of these today when i check out the local used dealerships.