/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Just like submit and play demos edition!

> Current Demo Day 14 (NOW)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Upcoming Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/rmiZV5yX

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/LKEdLxdG

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12904392
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for anime

>tfw demo wasn't as well-received as I hoped it would be

Reply to this post with progress and what you're listening too.

Struggling with setting up a code structure for interaction between objects and / or the player. Nothing.

Working my ass off to deliver for demo day.

xth for datamining shilling

strawpoll.me/12904392

That just means you have more opportunities to improve for the next demo day. Solidify those mechanics, polish those controls, add in that juice and your game will be amazing.

I already deleted the project, it's too hard.

How many people actually show up for Demo Day to play the games?

Is there actually a good amount or is it usually just /agdg/ faggots?

I got about 20 downloads so far, which is funny since it's less than the amount of games submitted.

a single person's judgement is enough to destroy my confidence

it's only agdg devs, pretty much

one time my irl friend and i played a few of the demos. he was... not impressed

It's an /agdg/ faggot jam, sooo...

which game was yours? I played through most of them and was pretty impressed with everything i saw desu

I'd have thought it'd get shilled on /v/ as well at least to get whatever bored faggots to try it, even if they'd probably just say it's shit.

How would I render eyes like this?

I got 82 downloads DD13. Depending on what your other avenues of media are (twitter/tumblr) your numbers will either be thread/discord mostly or potentially reach beyond that.

well someone who's not currently working on their game, it'd be cool to shill it on /v/ when submissions are over.

The description in itch.io literally says "this jam is not for you", it's not like demo day is shilled far and wide.

yes

You shouldn't.

Its been shilled there before. And when hopoo had the Deadbolt demo a lot of people outside of here went to play that, and in turn play other games. I think it was because of some Let's Player.

Why not?
Thanks for the help.

If your goal to make some uncanny, creepy af shit then go right ahead.

>tfw bug that doesn't even make sense

is monogame good for making simple 3D games?
or is it a waste of time for one person not to use an engine like unity or ue4?

All bugs makes sense.

I'm convinced that sometimes bugs are caused by cosmic rays, it's the only explanation.

ReactTo() is triggering twice when it should only trigger once per mouse click. I have no idea why, any ideas what might be causing it?

>tfw you find a bug in a demo day submission but assume it's part of the game until the dev sees the screenshot you took

I once had a bug that was fixed by removing a section of code then pasting it back in. To this day I still have no idea what the fuck was going on there.

>tfw debug printouts just make the bug more bizarre
Should I give up and start over, or keep trying?

GM:S? This is legit. It is something about the way they have the whole thing setup. Deleting certain resources that are still being referenced by something can make it disregard a ton of code that has nothing to do with the resource in question (even after clearing cache) and for some reason cutting and pasting the code unaltered right back where it already was fixes it.

And right as I write that I find out the problem: I had two copies of my Player script put on my Player, so of course it triggered twice. How dumb.

>tfw i need to register a company before next demo day

Keep trying. Unless you can tackle this, you're likely to make similar mistakes.

You hunt the bug like a predatory cat hunts its prey. There are very few highs in gamedev comparable to the successful hunt and termination of an elusive bug.

hahahahahahahaha

>not leaving in noncrashing bugs as speedrun hooks

>it's another topdown shooter with rotating guns
>it's another sidescrolling platformer with a gimmick
>it's another sidescrolling rpg with roguelike elements
>it's another room-based, semi-procedurally generated roguelite
>it's another metroidvania

I have a normal direction vector, and an angle.
How do I uniformly choose a new random vector within that angle?

>it's another frogpost

>it's another unironic frog poster

Not enough info, an angle in what direction?

Rotate around any axis perpendicular to the normal vector by the angle, then rotate about the normal vector's axis by a random amount in [-180, 180] degrees.

That's what I'll name my room based roguelite.

*starting with the normal vector

In any direction from the original vector. So that the new random vector is not more than the defined angle away from the original, but can be less.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Did you instantiate 2 instances of the script?

i swear i'll make the next demo day.

really.

honestly.

okay probably not but maybe.

definetly.

I've been saying that since DD3. Still haven't participated in a single Demo Day. Don't be like me, user.

where's your game?

sorry about your depression lol

That's what I ask myself every day.

iktf

I realize I have a massive amount of work to do in order to build all the systems for my game, so in my spare time I idea guy to try to get some stuff hammered out.

Currently I'm coming up with player abilities and talents to modify their behaviour

working on a 'wow style combat' randomly generated dungeon crawler which I'll likely also have random talent choices to mix things up between play throughs

>that spoiler
absolutely gross.

>tfw you fell for the Loomis meme
>can only make horror games involving disembodied cartoon heads

I should've just studied Bob Ross. At least then I'd have some bad ass backgrounds for my levels.

I like wow combat, and I want to make bosses. The random gen is to give context for boss battles and make it interesting

You can make hotline miami but with better art why are you complaining?

whats the best software to make tilesets?

Why not both?

>deformed heads floating around relaxing landscapes and terrorizing the happy little trees

We need more good horror games, user. None of that Amnesia bullshit.

You don't need to communicate entirely in spoilers, faggot.
>inb4 spoilered reply
Implying I'm not going to hide your reply chain immediately.
>inb4 you give me a super (you) to bypass my hiding your reply chain

@176002969
haha i did what you told me not to do lmao

>people with shit game ideas are also shit people

Who'd a thunk

>tfw the only ideas you can come up with are 100% clones in a different setting

i've missed 3 so far.

Two months, right?

How much actually has to be done to count as a demo?
I may be able to make it.

i don't know what a super you is, but I figure that mentioning 'making something like wow' is assumed to be shitposting

Have a room or space to move around in, preferably one thing to do (even if that one thing is just swinging/using a weapon on nothing, talking to NPCs, picking stuff up, whatever) and have posted progress leading up to the demo. Some people like to show up one or two days before demo day to post once or twice to justify it, then they post demo and disappear again until the day or so before the next demo day. Some don't even bother doing that much and then act surprised/offended when they get who'd on.

finally finished finals, so more time to practice

This. Remove these meme games and indie dev becomes less shit. Also remove puzzle games because that's what those fags will make if you take away their memes.

Warning: Idea guy stuff ahead

The current plan is to have 2 talent trees per role. The first talent tree would be the same between playthroughs no matter what to keep some level of consistency and provide core choices. The second talent tree would be balls to the wall random and make it a shit fest where weird shit can happen.

Here are some talents that I see being universally applicable to any/most abilities, then on top of this, there would be more specific talents to modify abilities that you may also randomly get. The idea being to mix up playthroughs to be more interesting
Modifiers are...
>Fearsome: Ability generates a significant amount of threat on targets.
>Suppression: Ability generated no threat.
>Bloodthirsty: Resets when an enemy dies with X yards.
>Flowing: ACTIONs lower the cooldown of the ability by X seconds.
>Swiftness: Ability gives you X% movement for Y seconds stacking Z times.
>Well Versed: Ability’s cooldown is reduced by X%.
>Revitalizing: Ability also restores X health.
>Suddenness: Ability is off the global cooldown.
>Far Reach: Ability’s range is increased by X yards.
>Rapidness: Ability has X charges. (Probably 3, might vary depending on ability)
>Frenzy: Ability increases your attack/casting speed by X% for Y seconds stacking Z times.
>Opportunity: Ability deals X% more damage to targets that are immobilized. (Slow, stuns, roots, crowd control)
>Sundering: Ability makes enemies weaker to physical/magic damage X% for Y seconds stacking Z times.
>Deadly: Ability does X% more damage.
>Heavenly: Ability heals for X% more.
names yet to be finalized.

My goal is to come up with a combat system closer to the Vanilla - early WotLK era in terms of play style.

In the meantime, I'm writing the actual algorithms to generate dungeons, code to build them in 3D, and the controllers needed to move characters around the world.

Here's an updated pic of my algorithm. Currently modifying it to be more controlable

>tfw people keep sending you ideas for your game

dude just go make your own

And unity FPS.

You greentext, you go indepth.

What are you making.
What ideas are people sending you.

>paint black or very dark saturated blue
>slight lighter blue hue under
>drop of highlight

woah

Please do say what games people can make.
Especially considering that people never complete games

for hug or for fug?

Now what you need to do is get some webcam motion capture software pirated. Create some shitty walking animations, sitting, attacking, and other basic animations.
Also put a crappy texture on it
Put it on the Unity asset store for 20$ and you'll be all set.

no thanks needed
people would actually buy that. People need 3d models with animations

If that's all, then I should definately be able to get more than that in 2 months assuming I keep up my pace.

hell, I've had combat semi-done for months now and my overworld stuff is mainly missing the cutscene script besides general art assets.
I'll try to get at least a couple zones (combat & non-combat) done in the coming months.

where is your game?

hi my game is multiplayer only and i don't have online multiplayer ready yet

if i uploaded my demo, would you have someone in person to call over to play with?

When I'm being nodev I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about in regards to programming, but when I'm a yesdev I shitpost the most.

You should upload a demo if you've posted progress at least semi-regularly on /agdg/.

>too them
spell more good please

I'm not going to do that if no one can play my game properly. If that's the case then I rather just upload a demo whenever online is ready and people on AGDG can host lobbies and post ip in the thread to play with each other.

Who cares if 'indie dev' is shit anyway, just play the games you like

I got a LOT more than my spelling issues to fix, but that will all come with cleanup in time.

I don't think many people here have someone to play local with. What you've got does look fun though, like a battle Downwell.

I feel like the text should be closer together

As long as you're aware, you have my blessings.

That's what I think too, but if at least one or two people say that they can play then I'll feel better about uploading it.

Do YOU have someone to play with?

Btw I just wanted to say I've seen your work often in my checkups here and it looks great.
Keep up the good work.
Just as a reminder since I starting using it, if you're using Unity, TextMesh Pro is free now and is amazing and makes typewriting easy if you aren't using it. (no idea what engine you're using)

Sitting here looking at how hard I am busting my ass to get a demo done for DD14 and I wonder to myself... where in the actual hell would my project be if I actually worked like this every.single.day.

Anyone else get that thought/feeling?

I work 8 hours and commute 1-2 hours a day, so I pay my mental and moral dues.
That said, tell us a bit about what you're doing and what you're currently working on. I'd like to hear about your game a bit. If you have previous posts with information, please feel free to link them so we can see them.