1st car in Canada?

ive been looking for my first car for a bit now and i need suggestions. i live in Canada so all europeans cars are non-existant here. i've seen a lot of 328i/323i, VW, and lawn mowers. FWD or RWD doesn't really matter but i still prefer RWD. im on a tight budget so 1500$ is the maximum i can afford. thanks for the suggestions!
BTW, that 180sx is not mine

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/ville-de-montreal/2007-saab-9-3-aero-berline/1284311356
youtube.com/watch?v=dI2ctRRtQXo
youtube.com/watch?v=ZoG2W7l5XhM
youtube.com/watch?v=VP6YYCcvwPs
youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck
youtube.com/watch?v=ExQUGk12S8U&t
youtube.com/watch?v=mnI-LiKCtuE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

half of 3k civic

Subaru wagons

For $1500 You're pretty much looking at anything that runs. Where I'm at the only thing you can buy for $1500 are beat to shit farm trucks and end-of-life dodge neon-tier cars.

i see a lot of shitty toyota echos, riced out civics and rolling shells..

Echos can be made fun if you know what you're doing. Toss a supercharger at the 1.5L, some came, suspension mods. Can have a legitimate fun car, especially if you get the manual 3 door hatch. The hatchback models were exclusive to Canada.

>some came
*cams.
JUN makes a performance set of cams for the 1NZ-FE engine

the hatchback echo is not that shitty. theres a RS model too just so you know. but yeah, for a first, ill probably buy it

shitbox corolla/civic/echo
yeah it's not a "fun" car, but you learn basic maintenance, and you won't be missing it if it gets destroyed somehow.

you can have fun in any car, really

even the sedan and coupe would do in a pinch, but the hatch is more desireable. The aftermarket support for them comes from their sister cars, the Scion xA, and first gen xB, neither of which were sold in Canada, so you'll have to import parts from the USA.

the scion xB was actually sold in Canada :)

that is very true. but if the opportunity comes, ill buy a car more desireable

>1500$
Festiva or Geo Metro

they are the ultimate poorfag shitbox

jokes on you theres no ford festiva where I live and ive never seen a geo metro running on the road

only 2010+ models, which were trash.
The 2008 design is completely unrelated to the Echo

try Aspire or Suzuki Swift

thanks! ill consider it.
oh and the Aspire is not available where i live

please note the Canadian Suzuki Swift+ is just a Chevrolet Aveo and should be, generally, avoided

noted.

THIS
THIS
and THIS.

The Toyota Echo, 1st gen, is pretty much top for a poorfag 'as fun as your dollar can go' in Canada.
>but but MIATA IS AL-
Theyre 8000 here for an NA. They may be cheap as dirt in the US, but they're fucking overpriced here.

They're pretty nippy stock, but slap a JUN cam on it and a decent set of Tiens and you're looking at a 4 seater go-kart.

Save more money and keep taking the bus for another year

true. a miata in Canada is between 5000 and 11 000$ with over 150 000km!

no

And if you live in a shit province (NS) like me, it's still a shitshoot as to whether it's got frame damage or not.

With my Civ', it was a bad call. Buts it's all fixed now, so I guess it's all good if you're determined.

Also, EM2s are fun to toy around with, just avoid the autos like the plague, and buy one that works. Trust me.

What city? We'll have a look on Kijiji for you.

i wont say my city but i can travel. im in Quebec

I have the perfect first car for you. I got into my first accident with this car. Kept me safe as a pet rock at 60mph. Barely any damage. Other car was totaled (Jetta).

This car will give you endless fun. Big as fuck, lots of space for girls and friends, and also, good power for spirited driving, or I guess, the illusion of power.

Things to beware of:

>Gas cap rusts so it looks ugly
>Catalytic converter and head gasket problems will arise

That's really all that went wrong with mine.

>pic related

2004 Chevrolet Impala. I would try to find an LS, but the Base is fine. Get an aftermarket head unit, or just get a Retrak Cassette Aux cord for $15 from Best Buy and you're golden.

kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/ville-de-montreal/2007-saab-9-3-aero-berline/1284311356

>capcha: ontario park

thank you user! really appreciate the suggestion!

damn thats a really good price for a car like this. plus, it comes with 4 winter tires thats cool!

If you're looking at at, just about any of the W-body platform cars will do.
Cons:
>FWD
>automatic only
>unreliable automatic transmissions

No probs! It's my go-to first car recommendation because that thing is a tank. I had the Base with the 3.4L making 180hp and 205tq, but the LS is the mid trim with the 3.8L making 200hp and 225tq, the Impala SS makes like 240hp and 280tq which was epic.

Whichever car you pick, make sure it's big, since it's your first car. Big because it's safer than most "sub compact" piece of shits on the road.

ill search for big GM cars
not a toyota yaris-like shit car

what about a Crown Vic?

youtube.com/watch?v=dI2ctRRtQXo
just because it's a big car doesn't mean it's safer than a smaller one

ignore that guy. He has no idea what he's talking about a big car is no safer than a small car. It's all in how well it's designed.
Realistically speaking, you're safer crashing a Smart Fortwo than a Ford Crown Victoria

>>unreliable automatic transmissions
They are all in junkyards already. Any 4T60E still rolling will overlast the car

>implying the 4T60E is the only problem child transmission
There's also the 4T65E (standard on 3.8L cars), and the 4T65E-HD (standard on 3.8L supercharged cars)

im sorry im a begginer in car design/mechanic. i like them a lot but i really dont know all of it. in my head it made sense that bigger vehicles = safer vehicles

What ever variant. They all have been trashed for a long time. Only strong ones still run.

1500 loonies is really tight. I think you want 2 or 3 grand at least

An older Accord is your best bet. Under 200k kms is nice, but being well taken care of and serviced is even more important

It does, don't listen to the cucks. The more mass you have, the harder it will be to stop you.

Crash a bonneville in a echo and the crumble zone will be the ecuck driver.

>budget of $1500
>posts a $5000 car

its just a random 180sx that i found on google images calm down

yeah i should save a little longer to get a better vehicule

A Smart Car is LITERALLY safer.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZoG2W7l5XhM
youtube.com/watch?v=VP6YYCcvwPs
Size was a talking point repeated by the media for years to help promote sales of fuck-huge SUV's that flipped over at the turn of a hat.

LMAO didn't you crash this thing.

wat

>Crashing a car at low speed in a barrier

31 MPH is the speed most average crashes happen at.
>but that's not fast enough to cause harm to people!
bullshit. Stop talking out your ass.
youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck
There's your fucking mass argument
>They don't make them like they used to!
Thank fucking god.

thank you for your information! but, i dont have the money for a smart car and i dont think its my type of car. it may be safer but its a bit too small

>Compares a 50 years old car
20 years old wbody has crumble zones and they would still crush you in your ecuck

Was just making a point. Don't let these mouth breathing retards scare you into thinking you need some fuck-huge land yacht to you safe.
Do research. There are modern cars today that are unsafe as fuck to drive... Most of them are Chinese but still.

Same arguments can be levied with small cars user.

bullshit yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=ExQUGk12S8U&t

So it seems mass does matter after all.

It does, but nowhere near as much as they make it out to be. The goal of safety features is that you walk away from an accident. Small, or large, depending on what speed you crash at, you will.
youtube.com/watch?v=mnI-LiKCtuE

Crash a smart in a full size sedan and you are jello. Stop trying to deny the laws of physics.

That crashed it into a fucking Mercedes S-class, the biggest sedan they make. You'll be fine

And the occupants would be dead if both were going at only 20 mph.

no. they wouldn't. Stop making shit up because your opinion has been disproven as untrue.
Part of being a mature adult means admitting when you're wrong. Is the occupant of the S-class safer? Yea. I never disputed that, Does that mean the occupants of the Smart car are automatically dead? no.
I actually took physics user. The Smart car redirects the energy elsewhere.

Smarts are total shit at safety. They had to drop the manual in favor of the weirdest automashit ever designed because even a 5 mph crash resulted in severe injury.

>calls smart car shit
>posts chinese car that is CLEARLY not a smart car
The tail lights tell us user

>geo metro

Can confirm. Bought mine for 200 bucks and needed new tires, shocks, tie rod, brakes, and eventually engine rebuild.

Normally this would be a horrible investment but geo metro parts are cheaper then dirt and readily available. The car is very easy to work on and I've fixed all of the aforementioned issues, added sway bars off a sedan, rear spoiler off a turbo model, center console from a dodge neon and seats from a Suzuki Esteem for $1100 including purchase price.

>VW crossfox
>chinese

good job autist

meh. Don't blame me for not 100% IDing a car. I just knew it wasn't a smart. Neither America, nor Canada got the VW Fox.

lucky you, it is a fucking cuckbox in every sense of the word

To the retards in here trying to kill OP by telling him to buy a smart car, fuck off. Larger vehicles will ALWAYS be safer than smaller vehicles. You and me go head to head, you in your smartfortwo and me in my Impala and you will die, or walk out of your car, sorry, get dragged out of your car, with pieces of your car lodged inside your abdomen, and glass cutting up your face, plus a bruised arm and likely a broken knee, maybe even a leg. I on the other hand will walk away with a small ache, which will go away in a few minutes.

Larger cars are always safer than smaller cars, head on into a wall, or head on into other cars.

This is because in a larger car, the body has more reaction time to settle during the moments of impact, which allows the body time to brace for impact, more time than a person would have in a smaller car, where impacts are instant to the person inside and where they will harm the occupants.

>TLDR
If you want to walk away unscathed, get a big car.
If you want to walk away with broken bones and stitches with internal bleeding and organ damage than get a small car and pray your driving skills are good enough to use that small Hyundai Accent with it's shittiest of the shit tires and brakes to avoid a collision.

Only fucking fags drive small cars.

And if anyone tells you that big cars kill, yes, they kill the retards in the small cars they crash with. The point of the game is to make sure that YOU walk away, YOUR family walks away, and YOUR loved ones aren't being carried away in body bags.

You owe nothing to these Liberal goat fucking fags who think it's your duty to lower your safety preparation so they can feel safe with their backwards ass phone using retarded fucked up driving skills.

No one is telling OP to get a smart car.
context > you
It was an example in an argument for the retards who said only big vehicles are safe and you'll always die in a crash with a small car> The Smart was chosen because it's one logical extreme. An extremely well engineered and built teeny tiny car.
OP would be perfectly fine in the Toyota Echo we were actually pushing for before the retards came in with "You need a car the size of a battleship to be safe" which is not true.
Is there some validity to the theory that bigger cars with more mass are safer? Yes.
Is it the end all be all? Fuck no. There are PLENTY of safe small cars that hold their own against cars 3 times their size/mass.

>these Liberal goat fucking fags who think it's your duty to lower your safety preparation
My first car was a big W-body coupe like the one retard who started the big vs small argument recommended. They're VERY safe cars.
Do I feel safe in big cars? generally yes.
Do I feel safe in big trucks/SUVs? Fuck no. It always feels like it's going to tip over regardless of whether it's a Suzuki Samurai or a Ford F150.
Do I feel safe in small cars? depends on the car. The newer the car, the safer it feels to me.

But your feeling of security has no real bearing on how safe you ACTUALLY are. which is also a point.

Arguing safety is fucking stupid anyways unless it's a major concern for someone. OP didn't even mention it until that one retard chimed in. We're auto enthusiasts. Driving dangerous cars because they're fun to drive is par for the course.

I think the guy said big car because OP has never had his own car yet and is likely a newbie driver.

>i live in Canada so all europeans cars are non-existant here.
What the fuck are you even talking about

noted!

i was talking about peugeots, renaults, skoda, citroen and so on. you get it now?

So you're conveniently ignoring FIAT, Merc, BMW, VW, Ferrari and all the other ones?
>you get it now?
I guess.

ive had my license since march and ive been driving since approx. 5 months. i just need recommandations and help from you guys. not a semi truck VS a european VW. if you guys want to argue between big and small cars. make another thread please.

not at all. i dont think you get the point of my reply.

before the retards got involved we recommended the Toyota Echo. We still stick to that recommendation

thank you

Toyota Echo is a car with no power, man. I would go with something a little more interesting.

Get the Impala, you won't regret it, it has seating for 6 people if you go with the column shifter. Bench seats up front are extremely rare to have, it's something special. An Echo is a shit. Not worth $1500.

>I would go with something a little more interesting.
hear you were talking shit like I wouldn't find out

I've driven the Echo m8, it's a terrible car. No passing power, small wheels, hella noisy, car wobbles at highway speeds, the plastic bumper pieces shudder at highway speeds, and it's tiny, definitely not a car for four people.

it has aftermarket to fix all that. I know the Impala. The only aftermarket it has is for the engine, nevermind the transmission that shits itself

A Supercharger and JUN cams change the 1NZ-FE. upgraded suspension changes the wobble. Wheels are usually the first mod anyone does, and the rest can be fixed by applying more sound deadening material like dynamat.

>Definitely not a car for four people
good.

This guys budget is $1500 MAX. Do you think he wants to spend time taking apart his fucking doors to add fucking sound deadening?

Fucking troll.

over time you fucking moron. find a good Impala in beaver-fucker-land for that price that isn't rusty or doesn't have a dying tranny.
You can easily find an decent Echo at that price
Fucking troll.

Or save that rice money and get a better car.

right. something that doesn't have an interior rejected by Fisher Price.

>beaver-fucker-land
i love my thread

He wants you to waste your life away toiling on a fucking Toyota Echo. Echoes are what you'll. e hearing when you show up to college with a fucking Echo. Echoes of your buds fucking grade A pussy while you weep in your car from the parking lot.

Get an Echo and consider yourself an actual cuck. Like this faggot over here is apparently.

this shit is fucking gold

If you need a car to get pussy, you can't get a woman anyways. Stay beta, cuck.

Buy a '98-'02 Corolla.
Almost every nigger in Rexdale drives one of those - I feel like royalty when I drive my '05 in their presence.