Manual tips

Just bought a Manual V6, and learned the basics to Manual yesterday. Im getting used to taking off but still get nervous when i have to take off quickly. or when i fuck up and I somehow rev up to 6 rpm. any tips to Manual beginner?

Go to a parking lot and practice getting going using only the clutch. That will teach you your bite point. Then don't do it again and just launch normally with clutch and gas. Learn how to move your foot to use both brake and gas for hill starts.

Learn your shift points. Learn where you clutch is "fully" disengaged and vice versa. I've been driving for 4 years and currently own 3 manuals. Jeep, Hyundai, BMW. All of them are entirely different clutches. Take a day and drive through a moderate traffic area and try to shift as logically as possible until you're comfy.

Learning at what rpm and mph & gears your car likes, so you can jump gears once you get a hang of it.

>manual
>v6
This is an extremely rare combo. What car OP?

It's not though.

Manual v6s are all over thwle MidWestern US. 3000gts, Eclipses, and Tiburons come to mind.

>v6 manual
Better be an Accord or g37 or you're a faggot.

Yeah but those aren't hugely common. On most shitboxes the v6 trim only comes in auto

Mustangs yo.

Manual 6 cylinder Eclipses are a dime a dozen.

Tiburons too.

My local marketplace has two or three manual Eclipses with Ford v6s in them, a a manual Grand Am, and a plethora of Rangers and S10s with manual v6s.

Manual v6s are more common than you think.

this car is available in v6 w/ a manual and faster than most

Not OP but a new manual driver with a question.

Is engine braking bad when done consistently for a few minutes? There's a relatively steep downgrade that takes about 5-7 minutes to descend at ~30mph. Is it bad to ending brake the entire way down?

>Eclipses with Ford C6 in them
Wat, what engine?

If by engine braking you mean letting the vacuum created by a closed throttle body slow the engine down, no. there's nothing wrong with doing that. if you mean downshifting, then yes, it burns out your clutch faster than normal.

Not entirely sure. Duratech 3.0 I think..?

no, and it's one of the big appeals of manuals, especially in hilly and mountainous areas. It's also probably safer because you're not using your brakes and potentially overheating them or causing unnecessary wear on them.

Fucking why? Duratec 30s only made like 10 more hp, than the 6G72, and the duratec is DOHC while the 6G is SOHC and are damn good engines

Read before you post again

Which is why you rev match.

>If by engine braking you mean letting the vacuum created by a closed throttle body slow the engine down, no.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Nice.

Ah, good to know.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Not a clue.

Never been much of an Eclipse guy.

So how close do you have to get to minimize clutch wear? I'm usually able to get within about 300rpm of the actual speed and let the clutch out. Sensitive cable throttles are hard to control.

Drive around until you're used to it. Rev matching is a meme.

No, but it drinks fuel.

What the fuck! Veeky Forums told me to always downshift when approaching lights and stops- not to put it neutral and coast.

What's the truth?!?!

We're talking about a minor difference hear. Unless you're roasting your clutch daily, it'll probably outlast your time with the vehicle.

I usually downshift to 3rd then engine brake and before i stall press the clutch and shift to either neutral or first
Waiting for someone to tell me this is a terrible habit

you won't burn your clutch any significant amount faster than normal if you rev match.

The benefits of downshifting are that you won't have to search for the right gear if you need to take off quickly or otherwise. You could argue thats a safety thing but i just do it because rev matching is fun and it easy to slow down then take off slow in second gear if a light turns green