Anyone else heel toe or otherwise rev match downshift all the time when slowing down?

anyone else heel toe or otherwise rev match downshift all the time when slowing down?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/s0pbra5W3nU?t=6s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

that is how you drive a manual, yes

Yes literally constantly. That's how you drive manual.

yes
i double clutch downshift

I just brake, then let go of the brake for a moment to rev-match downshift, then resume braking.

I'm not good at driving manual.

yes. otherwise its too jarring and passengers always jerk forward. I don't usually heel toe tho, just rev match before the turn.

when I'm wearing shoes

I can't twist my foot like that or am I doing something wrong?

I can only touch the bottom of the throttle with my heel.

Gotta smack it like it owes money

my car is moody, I have to rev match 6-5 and 5-4 but 4-3-2-1 can all just be downshifted without rev matching.

I "heel toe" to rev match mostly for the practice

all three of the manuals I've owned had pedal spacing where I didn't really use my heel, I more rolled my foot and used the side like in this pic related

Nope. Throw it into neutral and slow down.

I double clutch and heel toe when downshifting while braking.
I started practising for fun now I can't stop doing it.

>tfw gas and brake so close together they're touching basically
feels good driving a sports car

This

My econobox seems designed to prevent that. The gas and brake are very close together left to right, but the gas is very much behind the brake pedal, so it's basically impossible to put your foot on both unless you're putting the brake pedal to the floor. Also the footwell is very narrow so if I twist my foot on the brake pedal my heel can touch the transmission tunnel.
I will admit that I have a mental block with double clutching. I try it all the time and I just can't do it. The coordination just isn't there.

Some cars have their pedals set up where it's really easy to heel toe, some have it set up where it's really hard.

there's no point to rev matching just release the clutch slow in a lower gear and the car will automatically rev match for you...

No, what the fuck haha. I do downshift but there's literally no purpose in heel-toeing unless you're downshifting from high revs and want to keep your speed and grip or your synchros are fucked.

what car is that?

THIS, the clutch is designed to do this and anyone who tells you otherwise is a boyracer cuck.

Rev matching is a meme.

I heel toe every single day of my life.
I understand if some people don't want to, but you do need to be able to at a minimum rev match downshift to drive a manual on the streets proficiently.

*spills his cup of water*

This isn't fucking true you mong.
The only time I haven't been able to easily heel toe was in cars that I am simply too tall for.
Drive an old British car while over 6' and you'll see what I mean.
It has nothing to do with the pedal set up, it has everything to do with the leg room.

You retard, some cars have the gas pedal set WAY deeper than brakes or the clutch.

Tell me this mystical car, chances are high that I've driven one.
It's okay to fucking suck at things, but don't blame the things. Admit you fucking suck.

Many cars do that. My dad's Avensis does it, my old Civic did, I'd say most non-sport cars especially today do it.

I used to think the gas was very far back behind the brake when I first got my miata, however, it really isn't. I went out driving ever night for a couple of weeks to really git gud at heel-toeing. Now I heel-toe all the time, whether it be at a stop light or zipping around a corner while mashing 2nd.

keep in mind, you don't have to heel toe all the way to 2nd at a normal stop, 3rd should be fine to get you to like 15 mph then push the clutch and brake in to stop.

Try driving without shoes to get a feel for it, then get used to it with shoes because taking them off and putting them back on is very inconvenient.

I've driven 4th gen through 7th gen manual civics are heel toeing is e z p z in them. They were sort of designed with sporty driving in mind.

So basically what you're saying is you can't figure out how to do it and so you're sour grapes.

make sure your throttle cable isn't loose, otherwise blipping the throttle wont work as good

>you don't have to heel toe all the way to 2nd at a normal stop, 3rd should be fine to get you to like 15 mph then push the clutch and brake in to stop
You should skip gears when heel toe down shifting.

Say you're going into a sharp corner in 4th. Brake brake brake, heel toe to 2nd, turn and you're good to go. You don't have to go to 3rd it's a waste of time.

I only rev match, I'm too clumsy with my feet to heel toe and too lazy to practice it.

The only thing I can think is that you don't know how to heel toe.
In a manual transmission car you should always brake like this
pic related.
Hogging the brake pedal is poor form.

this, you put the ball of your foot on the brake and use it as a pivot

Not the liftback 6th gen I guess.

Well I know for a fact there's a major difference because my Celica actually has pedals set up well for heel-toe

Wait wait wait wait.
You think that you can't heel toe in an EK?
Are you kidding me?

youtu.be/s0pbra5W3nU?t=6s

I had the Rover-clone Civic.

Well, no one is going to have a rover 400 heel toe video.
Just go ask some chav to teach you how to do it in exchange for some cheap booze.

You can't do it if the throttle pedal is so deep compared to the brake and clutch. You just physically cannot do it, no matter how elastic you are.

Brake harder faggot

I rev match when slowing down, knowing my foot is going to be back on the pedal. If I'm slowing to a stop, I just keep it in gear until 1k rpm, then put it in neutral. I don't heel toe though. Never really tried to practice it, but I don't like stepping on the brakes without my heel on the floor.

Either an old bmw or a VW.

Jesus christ I feel like I'm talking to a wall...

you're gonna be kissing a wall if you don't brake harder, faggot.

Kys, user, even if I braked harder then I wouldn't be able to reach the throttle, not to mention how braking hard will either lock up the wheels or make the ABS kick in.

You won't lock up with abs by braking too hard, that's the whole point.

Which part of the "either" word did you not understand?

im currently in driving school and the feminist instructors get fucking crazy when im going 60km/h in 4th and then entering a sharp uphill corner while engaging clutch, braking to 30km/h and downshifting to 2nd while pressing gas to get a lot more revs and then disengaging the clutch. jesus christ the amount of bitching "thats not ecological".

Dude you can't fucking drive. Just do it as they ask you to or you will not pass the exam. Fun comes later.

Well EITHER you have ABS or you don't.

I can pass the exam. I just need to complete the mandatory drive hours. Of course I will drive normally in the actual exam or I wont pass. But I learn nothing new from these lessons so I spice them up, nothing dangerous of course.

Changing gears on a corner is a good way to force understeer, especially if you botch the shift.

I cant heel-toe because i dont have enough leg room to twist my leg that way.

I always rev-match and double-clutch downshift though because those buttery smooth shifts are glorious. Double-clutching isnt necessary but it gives you much smoother shifts than just rev matching alone.

>try to heel toe
>end up slamming the brake as i try to reach the gas
kill me

Do you drive a car without synchros?

No obviously not. Like is said double clutching is not necessary, but DOES make shifting smoother. This is true for even a synchro transmission.

>gas and brake are very close together left to right, but the gas is very much behind the brake pedal

Same here desu it's impossible to heel toe without slamming the brakes hard

Double clutch doesn't do much for upshifts if you have synchros, but if you're downshifting it makes the input shaft reach the right speed faster (rather than the half a second it takes to force the synchro to match speeds)

Put in neutral. Use brakes to slow down. Unless you are towing something or need to stop quickly and retain traction, there's no need to downshift. Obviously you faggots don't turn wrenches or you would realize that rev match faggot fast n furious bullshit just wears out the clutch faster. Brakes are easier to replace than clutches.

>Unless you are towing something or need to stop quickly and retain traction,
You're dumb as shit.
I don't understand where kids get the idea in their head that engine braking is going to help you "maintain traction".
Engine braking in the snow is a good way to get unintentionally hektik while slowing down while on a hill.

are you retarded?
Clutch going back together when both parts are going the same speed puts no wear on clutch

>dc shoes

>br/o/science

This, even if you have ABS and you fuck up your heel toe you can lock up

So what you're saying is it's harder to heel-toe in some cars.

My pedals are literally too far apart to do that and wear size 11s.

In a lot of modern cars and especially BMWs its less "Heel Toe" and more "Big Toe Little Toe" keep your foot vertical and then roll your foot onto the throttle while keeping the big toe on the brake. Works great with stiffer shoes.

i use the left and right sides of my foot, rather than heel and toe

yeah, i feel like it's more useful for track day bro than normal driving. in my case, i just blip downshift and then brake.

my shitbox nissan B13 is just like this user describes. gas pedal too deep.

Any advice on doing this in a 2011 - 2014mustang?
>tfw my downshifts are shit as well
>and my first gear off the line acceleration is poor, too

Can somebody explain to me what heel/toe is trying to accomplish? I've driven a manual for three years and never had I heard of heel/toe until I came to this board. If I need to downshift any faster than at a stop, I just disengage the clutch, slow down with the brakes, put it in the gear I want, then give it gas to get to the right rpms before reengaging the clutch. If I'm slowing down over a longer period of time, I'll even coast in neutral for a moment to decrease wear on my throwout bearing. What's wrong with this?

If you're coming into a corner at speed, you can brake and select the gear you want to accelerate out at the same time.

Because racecar

Need to be 18 to be here, etc. etc.

i dont "heel toe" and im not sure if "rev match", but for some reason, i've always tapped the gas, out of instinct, when the clutch is in, before letting out the gear below whatever i was in. is that sort of the same thing, just less efficient than heel toe?

Heel and toe shifting is when you have the clutch fully depressed with your left foot, and your right heel on the gas pedal, and your right toe on the brake pedal. This allows for faster shifting, and smooth shifting, as you don move or reposition your feet at all, with the exception for the left foot.
This is the proper way to drive a manual, its not a racing technique, just that american driving schools dont teach it for some fuck ass reason.
It allows for faster upshifting, and reduces the delay you have when moving to the accelator. Also this technique allows for rev matching, where you keep the rpms a little bit higher, while downshifting to prevent loss of power and accudentally going to a low rpm and stalling.
I feel like im forgetting something.

You're a fucking retard. Several cars(Fiesta ST being one off the top of my head) have aftermarket gas pedal extenders people machined to be able to heel toe properly.

Kill yourself you faggot fucking know it all.

senpai you can rev match with heel toe

>If I need to downshift any faster than at a stop, I just disengage the clutch, slow down with the brakes, put it in the gear I want, then give it gas to get to the right rpms before reengaging the clutch.

he just described rev-matching without heel-toe

Heel toe is a meme.

Like said, I do rev match, I just only use one pedal at a time to do it. Why do I need to brake and rev match at the same time if I'm going to let off the brake before accelerating anyway?

See I've had great difficulty in the 90s F150 I borrowed, but it wasn't impossible.

Throttle cable was stretched when I originally started driving it so I had to adjust that. At first I thought something was wrong with the truck as it wouldn't rev up quickly whatsoever.

Didn't much matter, took forever to get from gear to gear without jamming it around.

Learned to love my short throw once I got my car back on the road.

Because its faster.

because if you don't you are going to have to
>approach corner
>move foot off throttle onto brake
>brake
>finish braking at end of braking zone
>select the gear while car is coasting without power
>accelarate slowly while car is trying to get back into powerband
>accelarate faster while car is in powerband

vs heel toe + left foot braking
>approach corner
>left foot on brakes
>right foot on brake
>start braking
>keep car in powerband throughout braking via changing gears down through heel toe rev matches
>reach end of braking zone
>accelarate out of it with minimal coasting
it's just way faster and more safe since you won't send shock through the car through sudden shift or accidental liftoff oversteer due to coasting.

Its arguably useless in traffic but I do it anyway since it's fun and lets me practise for track.