>2017
>people still buy new cars with an outdated manual transmission instead of an automatic one

But people literally don't do this.

The people who want new cars with manual gearboxes can't even afford to buy them in the first place.

Manual is the only way

There is literally only two groups of people who buy manuals news.

Poorfags buying base base base models

Younger enthusiasts with money

Manual is irrelevant and dying, autos are faster, more fuel efficient and more convenient in every way. Not to mention Autos are easier to resell since not everyone can drive a manual.

Face it Veeky Forums, there is no point to manuals in DD's anymore

Automatics are expensive to repair. Also, automatics are typically more expensive in Europe.

>autos are faster, more fuel efficient and more convenient in every way

that's what happens when automatics were researched and developed nonstop for a century while manuals haven't changed much at all since the 30s when they were officially replaced.

lol a machine will be able to change gears much faster than a human will

>that feel when no five speed 12 valve cummins 4x4

if manuals were still worked more to this day theyd only have fuel efficiency equal to automatics
theyd still be slower (shifting and car speed, acceleration, lap times) and less convenient

why don't you make like an automatic and drink some atf

oh wait, you shouldn't because your gears were grounded to shit and the shavings are what's making your slushbox shift gears anymore

I own and drive a manual and an automatic but what I said isnt any less true
stay assmad contrarian poorfag

manuals make driving a sports car worth it.

ease of maintenance is a big plus for me when it comes to manuals. Ive owned autos that shit the bed and the only fix was to get a new transmission. Something pops in a manual, it usually doesn't take the rest of the transmission with it.

fact

Manual transmission makes any car worth driving. With a manual you can have fun even in a 70hp fwd car.

its sorta the opposite for me
driving manual for 8 years and never saw the fun
I get mine from powerful cars thatll make you shit yourself at anything over 3k rpm, manual or not

Here's the thing- driving in most places isn't fun anymore. There's so many people on the roads, good roads are rare. I wanted a manual car and liked the one I have, but for getting around a city/suburbia I would like to have an automatic now. Maybe could I afford track days and a car for them, where I could responsibly enjoy myself I'd want a manual still... but as is it'll only enter the realm of mind as a budget choice when buying a car.

THIS!

Manuals should be obsolete by now.

F1 cars use sequential semi-automatic technology, why don't you Veeky Forums?

>tldr I can't drive manual, please validate me

They may complete the shift faster, but they still shift at the wrong times, and they can't predict what I want to do and choose the correct gear. Automatics are fine for a commuter, but I would never choose one for a car that I expect to be fun.

>Ive owned autos that shit the bed and the only fix was to get a new transmission.
JUST BUY A TOYOTA!

Seriously though. If it's not some shit manufacturer like GM or Dodge the transmission will last the life of the vehicle.

I also wouldn't say replacing a clutch is that easy. Some are easier than others, but it's never something easy.

Because you can't get a good one in a car that anyone on this board can afford to buy.

>manuals are for poorfags

/thread

>Muh fun to drive.
Just like manually cracking the engine is 'fun.'

Computers are getting better and better.

>"autism" the thread

Sorry I actually want to be in control of my car and not get actually cucked by some computer.

If you don't enjoy driving then what are you even doing here. Terrible comparison too, as I don't think theres anyone who enjoys cranking an engine

The point is that what is fun for you, isn't what's fun for everyone. Cars, like everyone else has been designed to make it easier for everyone to drive it.

Shifting is fun if you're on a winding road with zero other cars on it. 99.99% of the time that's not happening. Most people that even drive manuals say driving in traffic isn't fun.

>I cant get a good car because im poor, therefore that car is shit
yup, sounds like this board all right

>drive a 200hp automatic
>not fun, the car is slow, bas poor acceleration and not exciting
>drive a 200hp manual
>not fun, the car is slow, bas poor acceleration and not exciting
>drive a 650hp automatic
>enjoy myself, car is fast, gets going quick, feels like ill die in a wreck any moment
>drive a 650hp manual
>enjoy myself, car is fast, gets going quick, feels like ill die in a wreck any moment
honestly if your fun comes from manual rather than how nice the car is to drive youre retarded but whatever

That's not at all what I said, though. Nobody ever said F1 cars are shit. What I am actually saying is that you can't buy a car with a decent semi-automatic transmission for any reasonable amount of money. If you can afford a Ferrari of an F1 car, then by all means, enjoy your superior transmission. If you can't, then you're not getting the Real Deal.

>all these autotragic americucks buthurt because they can't drive a manual car like a real man

It is sad. Until I started coming to Veeky Forums, i just assumed most car enthusiast would prefer the manual driving experience.

Disappointing generation keeps getting more disappointing

t. oldfag

Hello fellow oldfag manual driver, the other day I had the displeasure of driving a modern nu-manual and jesus fuck nope nope nope have you seen this shit?

WORST. GENERATION. EVER.

Shifting faster =/= guaranteed faster acceleration. Automatic transmissions weigh more and they put less power to the ground due to parasitic losses within (torque gets consumed by the fluid pump among other things). Furthermore a torque converter will never have the efficiency that a dry clutch does transferring torque from the crankshaft to the input shaft. Just look at the 0 - 60 times of the BRZ/FR-S, the automatic is 1.2 seconds slower even if it does "shift faster". Now DCTs on the other hand....

my point was if an auto gets fucked it usually means remove and replace rather than fix. Buddy of mine worked at a nissan dealer and they do not fix autos. They send the core off and install a refurb that always had the customer coming back with issues.

a manual can usually be fixed

NV4500 son

What generation is that, gen Z? I'm a millennial that strongly prefer manual.

mostly millennial, since most of gen z doesn't own a car

I only realized a couple years ago that auto cars were actually common and used regularly in some places of the world and not just for handicapped people, I always assumed that the thing where you shift from drive to park that id seen in the movies was just a different way to shift gears like some cars have the gear shifter on the steering wheel instead.
It really boggles my mind to see manuals being refered to as hard to drive or inconvenient or hard to drive in traffic when here literally everyone, even the most inept shit driver has no sort of problem with it and does it on a daily basis.

Why do we still allow autocucks to post on this board?

Shouldn't they be relocated to ?

for real, this.
i have a fun time driving my auto.

Smart cars use a semi-automated manual like a F1.

>not wanting to save on gas and have more control of the car

>i just assumed most car enthusiast would prefer the manual driving experience.
same

>the other day I had the displeasure of driving a modern nu-manual
also same, and what a fucking disappointment.
This, despite being a V10

Which is why I said
>BUY A TOYOTA

Modern automatics are just as good, if not a little bit better on gas mileage. It's not 1970 anymore.

It also doesn't work with the muh fun to drive crowd. If you're driving 'fun' you aren't saving on gas.