/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

SAAB Story edition.

Bring your classic and lets all get rust and gasoline and two-stroke oil in our eyes together.

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity

>Post your classic, your work on it, and get advice

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality

>Rust is a bitch, and not for the faint of heart; tread lightly

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/chevy-ton-truck-restored-ipe/6217709435.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

71 Valiant, and yeah, apparently its almost bottomed out....today I'm gonna try jacking the car and loosening that bolt, hopefully I can slide it back to correct position. (Hopefully it WON'T have a lot of damamge, I'm pretty sure it's been that way since I got it a year ago)

>qt in classic edition
>tfw your qt enjoys cruising in your classic

Wish I still had my qt to cruise with... Also chicks really dug my car for some reason.

Fuck yeah, CCG.

Bench seated couch on wheels!

Put the passenger side panels on this morning, carpet is out for delivery so says ups, will post a pic of that when it arrives.

Other door part 2 electric boogaloo.

>having more than one door on each side
>being this obviously poor

Trying to sell this thing

Its a '56 Oval window thats been customized to hell so its got this 80s hotrod look. Was even in a magazine. Will post more pics if people are interested.

Non stock cars are worthless

Got a full tank of gas and just cruised around all day.
kinda feels bad that I almost never drive my miata due to its ugly rims.

Why would you ever want to drive a miata when you have that beast

Putting my car up for sell after fixing the brakes. Damn boomers are all tire kickers. Or wanting to trade broken harleys.

Forgot pic

Sorry it didn't work out man

>17612630
Whats making you get rid of the car?

fuk ment

I like the car and im gonna keep working on it, but im starting to realize that the 50s cars were just too slow for me. I got spoiled with my 66 dart that could atleast go on the highway.

Am i unreasonable for wanting $3500 for it?

Pros: pretty solid body, rebuilt flathead and trans, new carb, electronic points/ignition/fuel pump, new plugs and wires, 12v conversion, all lights work, gauges work, original interior/rims/hub caps, overhauled brakes.

Cons: rust in fender, driver window needs replacing, locks dont work, needs paint, needs new tires, needs speedo cable, gas tank needs to be cleaned and hooked up, and needs door pannels.

Same dude, Has anyone ever installed one of those "vintage air" ac and heat units? They look kinda cool. Plus since all my ac stuff including the box in the engine bay has been taken out it might be easier to install one of these rather than piece together an oem unit.

user with that 280 again. I thought I had it sold almost then the guy texted me today with:

>definitely still interested, but I have some bills I need to pay
k-k-kill me
FUUUUU

>50s cars are too slow
It's because you bought one with an anemic flathead v8 that's already at its limit for reliable power and then coupled it with a body too heavy for the engine

^this, sorry dude but he's not wrong

Ya... but it sounds nice... and the engine is almost worth what i paid for the car.

I got offered a rusted to shit c10 and a 63 Polara (4 door) with a 318, but the guy stanced the shit out of it. Guess ill just keep hoping some boomer will want it.

Honestly i love the car, just wish an OD wasnt so expensive. Honestly its a great drivable project.

And of course the moment i put mine up for sell, a few others all pop up. Theyre either shells for 2500 or restored ones starting at 12k, going up to 30k.

>Am i unreasonable for wanting $3500 for it?
I think so.

You've got a Ford 2 door sedan that doesn't have any desirable qualities beyond being old and also needs everything. If it had been at least a hardtop in a desirable model, or a Chevy, you might've been in the ball park. As it is I think that if you can get $2K for it you take the money and run.

I don't know if 3500 is a good price keep in mind it's not a hardtop and it's not a shoebox Ford and not a later 55+. It falls somewhere in a grey area. It's neither here nor there.

Well, thats like your opinion man. But thanks for the input

Am i missing something here? A solid roof isnt a hard top?

What am referring to is body style. A hardtop doesn't have a B-pillar. A car with a B-pillar is a Sedan.

Got the carpet, fucking love all the blue.

Ahhhhh.... well i learned something new today

Also leaving to go see Dunkirk in few mins, will check back and answer any questions when I get back.

Tell us how it is, I've been wanting to see it!

Why didn't (((Churchill))) sue for a separate peace?
Why did (((Churchill))) stab the French in the back at Mers El-Kebir?

3 different timelines that all end at the same point. Not a lot of action, but enough to keep things interesting. I thought it was very good.

I WANT A TRANS AM RIGHT FUCKING NOW WHERE ARE ALL THE TRANS AMS THAT AREN'T FUCKING 305 SLOWMOBILES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Because Churchill.

Any trans am after 78 is not worth buying

Wrong

GTA's are slow as fuck the only good one was in 89 and thats because it had a buick 2.8l turbo engine in it.
Lets face it all they are are camaros with body kits thank Roger for that

Idk I like the look of them the best out of all the Trans Ams. And I don't care too much about going fast right now. I just want a nice loud car

Wrong, Camaros are Firebirds in lame body kits.

This

M8 trans am have basically been Camaros with bodykits since 67 the only thing different was that Pontiac had better engines, that all stopped post 79.

Because by the time they came out with the 350's Trans Am's weren't a thing and nobody bought them anymore.

Just buy a 305 slowmobile and 350 swap it. Even if you found one of the few 350's left the engine would probably be getting tired by now anyway.

I've never swapped an engine though. Most I've done is like a valve cover gasket

They're all over Craigslist. that's where I got mine.
Looks like that dude is pulling the slide back on a handgun. I wonder post picture if one of them got capped?

All the ones on Craigslist are beat to shit though... I've been checking like 3 times a day for months. Might have to just steal one soon lol

The redneck thing is not a meme btw, i bought mine off prime white trash.

Oh yeah, the ones over looked at were owned by rednecks and colored folks. Smashed interiors, wires everywhere, halfassed engine swaps... Might have to shell out for a mint one at this rate

Do you enjoy it at least? Other than it being broken every week lol

It's in boxes and was used as an outhouse.

this

Mine was also beat to shit.
Did you confuse him with me? because my 79 is broken every week and I bitch about it a lot on here. If so, to answer your question. Yes, I enjoy it a lot and I'll enjoy it more when i get my 400 to swap in.

I meant in general f bodys are broken every week lol. The one I test drove most recently was underwhelming I guess. But I was probably just too wrapped up in what a pile of shit it was to enjoy it

a lot of them are well worn, I got lucky with mine. Turns out it's got all the WS6 parts on it (bigger swap bar, 4wheel disk, and factory ratchet shifter) Anyway, my 403 was hopped up a little with a new intake and headers plus I tuned it up pretty decent. Still slow tho, stock these are better cruisers than muscle cars but they are fun to drive. I love wrestling the car through turns on windy roads or even just cursing down the highway they ride pretty smooth for an older car. If you've never driven a classic car before you'll be surprised with how much attention you'll get. Like no joke at gas stations you'll meet a lot of new people. My ex girlfriend hated the attention because people asked her all the time about the car and she was totally not into cars lol

Has anyone painted with rustoleum? I'm starting to sand down pic related (took out the carpet this weekend, cleaned out floor panels and put fresh undercoating) and was going to only do certain areas but now I just want to repaint it all (going to have to buy more primer and quarts now)

>get 90/10 shocks
>"only for track use, not for street driving"
who /devilish/ here?

Pretty much thisWas great, felt it had more of a horror vibe then a war movie vibe. But was still great, had perfect product placement as just before it came on, there was trailer for a Churchill movie and you could see in background a map of the battle of Dunkirk.

I kinda wouldn't mind a bit of attention desu. I'm a lonely motherfucker. Might end up just getting a decent one with a 305 after all, apparently a 400/455 drops in a turd gen with very little modification. Don't even need custom mounts

For those of you in the PNW, Goodguys car show is Saturday at the Puyallup fairgrounds as always, $20 to get in for the day, gates close at 5pm but show runs till 10-11pm.

If you want cheap speed go for a turd gen mullet mobile (don't get me wrong I like them and after I fix up my 79 i've been wanting one) but if you want "the look" and more attention get a good 2nd gen. Chicks dig the second gens at least the ones in my rural ass redneck town do. Got cock blocked at a gas station once. here's how it went down
>user that's a nice car can I sit in it?
>about to say sure when dude walks up asking about it
>chick says sorry if she's interrupting and leaves
>scream internally
But seriously pic related

I'm debating selling off all of my cars and buying a black '69 Charger.

>Daily'd a 76 for years
>Only ever had to tune the carb and replace a belt

Meme car don't do it. Literally nothing special about the Charger.

Do it.

>wants to trade a bunch of neat and unusual cars
>for a shitty boomermobile

y tho

Don't pay the boomer tax, man. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure when they all die in 5-15 years, those cars won't be worth any more than the rest of their contemporaries

My fucking back hurts, going it's just the rain. Went for a night cruise to get out of the house for a bit. It was nice.

Can't wait to get a little more work done on her. What a great ride. When the shock mounts broke, I replaced the air shocks with regular shocks, and I think it rides a lot better. The new wheels eliminated the shimmy she had at highway speed. New exhaust and a tune up and I think she'll be good until I get into some heavier shit this winter

nice pics. Sorry about your back, chronic pain is no fun. I considered taking a night drive myself but I'm inebriated. Any excuse to drive the truck now that the slant is running so sweetly. In other news, tagged and registered at last

car looks great man sorry about your back. Sciatica? Get a cyclobenzaprene script and start doing yoga. much love man

Thanks man.

I love your truck, and the slant 6 is a great motor. I loved tinkering with mine in the 65 Dart I had. That engine was used by Chrysler from the 60s until 1984. That's a pretty good run.

I took the International for a spin the other day and it ran so good, sounded great with the new exhaust. It really pains me to sell her, but I just don't have the room. Maybe I'll rent a storage unit for the winter if she doesn't sell.

Thank you. Yeah, I just got back to work this week after being out for 2 months with 3 herniated discs, sciatica, numbness and weakness. It sucked. This is just lower back pain tonight, guessing it's weather related, but I've been charging port hard at work and having been out for two months has got be a lot softer than I was when I went out.

New to old cars. Should I buy this?
>1987
>rebuilt
>10 grand
sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/chevy-ton-truck-restored-ipe/6217709435.html

1948 MG TC
Frame up resto
haven't done much for a while but its slowly marching forward I think

Question: should I choose one of the original colors, none of which I really like, especially not for that year, or should I just say "fuck the collector's value" and paint it the color I want?

Follow your heart, bro. I went with a different color for my Impala and glad I did. It's my car, collectors and purists can fuck off.

I wouldn't pay 10k for a truck without a proper bed. Just my opinion.

Some make purists don't give a fuck about colors. I know for Oldsmobile Club of America judged events as long as the color of your car was offered by Oldsmobile that year you can't lose any points for it. You also however lose points for not having a fire extinguisher or not wearing enough Oldsmobile Swag. I imagine MG guys would have a similar outlook

Nah fuck that you can get a almost halfway decent one of that year for $2000 from some rednecks and have it painted up however you like and have the original bed.

I can definitely see a whole ton of work put into the truck, but why he rebuilt this specific truck is beyond me.

>3/4 tons hold less value, everyone wants half tons because they are the best cruising truck
>inline 6 is a nice engine but a chevy V8, especially a big block will always be worth more
>manuals aren't desired or very fun to drive in old trucks
>modern buckets look out of place
>that wood flatdeck takes a ton of value away from the truck, finding a rust free bed and restoring it will cost thousands

I think you can find something that you'll like more and that's a better investment for 10k.

Probably has something to do with the tendency of Oldsmobile owner's not to be turbo-autists about cars because they actually care about them. Although putting a Chevy engine in vintage olds will probably get you shot

Thanks!

Guess it's a good thing I picked black. I'm not in it for shows and being judged anyway, I like to cruise and meet other car guys, I enjoy the hobby, working on them myself. I don't have kids, so I do have disposable income. Maybe someday I'll do a show car, but today I just want to cruise and enjoy it.

No offense but you're probably not going to win any shows with a 4-door anyway.

Thanks. I'll file this comment in my "it's just a worthless four door" drawer.

It's not a criticism of the car; but, a general reflection on the fact that most shows are ran by boomers and they vote for their friends in most cases.

I understand. I've just become tired of the whole thing.

I've got a question that's been on my mind for a while now. I'm a torquelet and haven't driven something with a lot of torque hard. What would happen if you totally floored it from a stop in a car with >300ft/lbs of torque? I know the wheels would spin like crazy, but would you actually lose control of the car?

I understand. As someone who intentionally chose a 4-door sedan, I get it all the time with my Imperial.

I want to paint it like pic related and, since it's a personal car, I know I'd never make a dollar off of it.

The thing is, it's a learned cliche. It's like a forced meme. Fucking boomers ruin everything they touch.

It really is desu

That's a beautiful car, btw.

I completely agree. There are a few cars I legitimately prefer in two-door trim; the Cadillac DeVille series, for example, because I don't like that the Eldorado is FWD. That's a part of why I'm a Lincoln guy, but, I digress, most 4-doors can be found in better shape for less despite there being fewer left.

It really is; normally I want to paint every car with chrome trim black, but when I saw this one I wanted mine to look the same. That green and black combination is perfect and it makes the car.

Yes I would shoot you