Its over: LMP1 is finally dead

After the death of Peugeot Sport, Audi Sport,, Pescarolo Sport, Rebellion, Aston Martin, Patrón Highcroft Racing (Honda), Intersport Racing, Creation Autosportif, Racing for Holland, Zytek Engineering, Courage Compétition, and Lister Storm Racing's LMP1 teams finally comes Porsche.

Its over. If you didn't attend LeMans this year or before you have officially missed your chance to see LeMans as it was intended.

sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-poised-for-lmp1-exit-announcement/
racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/142619-porsche-preparing-for-le-mans-exit
roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a10369396/porsche-lmp1-exit/
gtspirit.com/2017/07/27/porsche-says-goodbye-wec-le-mans/
blackflag.jalopnik.com/porsche-will-shut-down-its-le-mans-prototype-program-th-1797294277

Other urls found in this thread:

motorsport.com/wec/news/porsche-quits-lmp1-end-of-2017-toyota-934914/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ford can finally get an overall win and actually have a legitimate win under their belt that doesn't involve the Brits at Lola

Meanwhile, the sole Toyota will still breakdown.

>prototype non-production race cars
>not road legal
nothing of value lost, I'd rather see fat spergs race each other in Tundras at the burgerking.

>toyota will still manage to spill their spaghetti

You do know a lot of tech in regular cars is developed on those LMPs, right?

>Ford can finally get an overall win
How? it will either just be LMP2 cars winning overall now or ACO could allow IMSA cars and ford would have to get an IMSA prototype to win. if ecoshit won le mans i would never take that joke of a course seriously. it isn't really worth taking seriously anymore anyway because the rules are going to be fucked up in the up coming years REQUIRING top prototype cars to run a certain distance on electric-only to even qualify for winning (meaning if they can't do that they also forfeit the title regardless of if they have a working car or not) WHAT THE FUCK!? is IMSA our only hope for decent prototype action that isn't a shit-show?

More automakers should come to IMSA. may not be as advanced as the Hybrid protos but you won't be throwing hundreds of millions down the shitter to humiliate yourself.
>legitimate win under their belt that doesn't involve the Brits at Lola
They did that with the MKIV

>caddy rumored to maybe join next years race
>porshe goes away

I swear, we can't ever have more than 2, can we.

so what about Toyota? are they going to leave the WEC too?
I don't know why it's so hard to get unified rules so IMSA prototypes can go to Le Mans. DPi should be entered in the non-H LMP1 class not nerfed into the lmp2 category. It should be like the ALMS days when the same prototype teams could do Sebring and Le Mans.

the only hope for LMP1 is if the non-hybrid category with ByKolles can actually grow into a real class with the Ginettas next season.
but FIA/ACO they boost the hp on the lmp2 cars but they never do anything to help increase the overall performance of the LMP1 non-H class so ByKolles or Rebellion could actually compete with the hybrids and go for the overall win.

Its been a long time coming. If you weren't at LeMans from 2001 to 2010, you missed out.

NOT SO FAST AMIGO

STEP ASIDE AND LEAVE IT TO THE PROS

Lol no.

LMP2 will rule

Which means JACKIE CHAN WILL RULE

You are pathetic, amerilard faggot.

>[Update: Porsche confirmed they would continue competing at Le Mans somehow, but declined to comment on the LMP1 withdrawal rumors. See below.]
Wow, Op! Good job.
that win belongs to ford. lol. that model was made under ford's ruling. try again.

>Ford can finally get an overall win
LMP2 is still a thing, dumb Ford shill.

>so what about Toyota? are they going to leave the WEC too?

No news on them yet. Rules require that there be at least 2 manufacturers for a championship to happen. Theoretically, they can still compete, but they aren't going to be racing for points and may not even be recognized in the classification which brings up the point of why would they bother racing at all?

It's been while coming. People have been speculating about this for a few years now, if not longer. FIA/ACO was too little too late in trying push the non-hybrid LMP1-Lites category and now they're in full panic mode to keep LMP1 afloat.

>deliberately ram c7r on purpose to cause tire puncture on the final lap because you're a fat british cheater virgin cuck

le mans is a joke because aston wasn't disqualified

WEC is great racing but how the fuck do they recover

Good

It was a mistake that LeMans ever became about cars that are not road legal. The top road supercars in the world ought to be the basis for the top cars at LeMans.

LMP2 ought to be killed off and the LMP chassis style recycled for Formula E.

>Driver has to be over 400 lbs
>Spec stock tundra
>Spec stock tire
>Green hell.

I too like to watch videos on the internet of people dying.

LMP2 and the GTE classes still have plenty of competition. No point in shutting down the whole series just because the premier class is defunct.

>You will never see Jaguar, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, and Toyota all racing against each other.

kek...

This reeks of history repeating itself when the FIA changed the Group C formula and practically killed off the World Sportscar Championship. Manufacturers who still wanted to race found sanctuary in America with IMSA. IMSA introduced a new affordable WSC formula which the ACO allowed to race at the LM24.

So basically the future will be:
>LMP1 is finished
>manufacturers move to IMSA and adopt DPi
>ACO is forced to allow DPi to compete to keep the grid full
>GM wins Le Mans

>I'd rather see fat spergs race each other in Tundras at the burgerking.

implying that isn't something worth seeing.

>[Update: Porsche confirmed they would continue competing at Le Mans somehow, but declined to comment on the LMP1 withdrawal rumors. See below.]
Probably referring to their GT program.

I love the fact they completed spa without any problems, and at Le Mans they died immediately

>The top road supercars in the world ought to be the basis for the top cars at LeMans.

Are you saying to return to 90's GT1 (which was a cost nightmare) or turn Le Mans into something like Nurburgring/Spa 24h?

Good. Fuck that hybrid bullshit

>Are you saying to return to 90's GT1
I'm not gonna miss LMP1 nearly as much as GT1.

Jeez are you still in about that. Corvette driver clearly cut that corner after already sustaining damage. That's where the puncture was caused. Not by the Aston

>Are you saying to return to 90's GT1 (which was a cost nightmare)
Lmp1 wasn't a cost problem?
I think gt1 costs could be controlled somewhat. As long as homo rules rear strictly enforced. Gtlm cars are already power capped vs their road going versions.

>I think gt1 costs could be controlled somewhat.
>As long as homo rules rear strictly enforced.

That's a stupid assumption.

In your scenario, manufacturers not only have to put up the costs of preparing a racecar they now have to front the cost of building several production cars. That means that they have not only spend millions just to get a car to meet certain safety and emissions standards, but also on an infrastructure to facilitate building, selling, and servicing those cars. Oh, did your car not win LM24 or any other major championship? Good luck digging your company out of the millions you throwaway on your silly homologated racecar project while the winners get even more momentum from successfully selling their cars after winning their races. That's okay because the category will be defunct in a matter of a few seasons.

GT1 in the '90s was a mistake.

>caddy
Ayyyyyyy
I bet it'll use the R18's turbodiesel instead of it's own regular tdi engine

the shunt from the aston fucked up the corvette's steering, causing him to cut the corner and puncturing the tire
aston did not deserve the win

I'm willing to bet they saw the proposed 2020 rule changes and proceeded to nope the fuck out of there

When were you when Jackie Chan became the best?

elementary school.

>OY VEY THE SHEKELS LOST IT'S LIKE ANOTHER SHOAH

>Dallara is with Cadillac
>Team Joest is with Mazda

What did they meme by this?

Are you ready for this, Veeky Forums?

>Le Mans 2018
>A Toyota crosses the finish line first
>Immediately announces they're jumping ship to Formula E
>Hours later their cars gets disqualified for technical infringement
>Toyota appeals, but their appeal get rejected - but they're insistent they're not returning to LMP1

I'm happy with this. LeMans should only be 2 categories anyway, LMP2 is wayyy more competitive, and the GT class.

This is a blessing in disguise. True, the LMP1 cars were nice, but this means the more competitive LMP2 is now the main class.

>implying watching people die isn't entertaining

holy feck it's actually a real thing?

Never made it to Le Mans, but I went to Sebring 4 years in a row starting in 2003.

>Mazda won Le Mans in '91
>Joest won back-to-back Le Mans with the same IMSA spec car in '96 and '97.

DPi is the future of LM24.

Its almost like you don't know that there are plenty of supercars out there already. Making a limited run (say 75 units) of homologation specials of a McLaren P1 or Ford GT isn't that big of a deal. In fact it is the kind of thing that should be happening.

These cars are so close to race cars already, much of the homologation special could be body work and hybrid system tweaks.

Porsche LMP1 team confirmed finished after 2017:
motorsport.com/wec/news/porsche-quits-lmp1-end-of-2017-toyota-934914/

Yes, it was in reference to the GTE team which will continue.

>These cars are so close to race cars already
No, they're not. You're just drinking the kool-aid like the marketing wants you to.

The Ford GTE racecar was already completed before the final specification of the roadcar was finalized. Ford had to get a special appeal to compete in the GTE category. And don't even get me started on the BoP shenanigans that happened last year. Porsche is racing around with the engine not where it's supposed to be just to stay competitive. Also, cars like McLaren P1 and DaFerrari don't even compete in any kind of serious racing category instead choosing to have a glorified race camp for talentless millionaires to "compete" in their own hugbox spec formula.

Having your expensive exotic halo car get BTFO by a 911 or Corvette in a high-profile race is not financially feasible and the GT1 proved that in the '90s and again in '00s. For every McLaren F1 or 911 GT1, there were several cars like the Lister Storm, TVR Speed 12, Panoz GTR-1, Nissan R390, etc. that faded into obscurity. Any competition with such cars happens in the form of benchracers comparing magazine lap times. Sorry, but publishing your best flying lap after god knows how many tries is not racing.

>Needs Ferrari and Ford to be severely nerfed to dog shit under regulations to be remotely competitive.

Nice try.

> Porsche is racing around with the engine not where it's supposed to be just to stay competitive.

To be fair, that's more a consequence of some pretty retarded regulations concerning the 2017 aero kits, more specifically the big ass diffusers they enforced on all cars. Because of the engine being right where such a big diffuser should be, they have been forced to move the engine forward.

Of course this gave them a pretty big advantage, because let's be honest, a mid mounted engine can only benefit to your car and I'm pretty sure they could have come up with a solution to accommodate a big diffuser and a rear engine if they wanted, but they opted for the easiest way and just moved the engine in the middle.

That said, the 911 is racing with a waiver just like the Ford GT did last year, and that means all the other teams had to agree to let Porsche race with that car so I don't think you can blame them for trying.

Itd be cool if we could get shit where they race actual street car without modifications

They race street cars all the time, thankfully it's a thing that happens mostly at amateur level, because watching stock road cars racing is boring as fuck most of the time