New Home for Abandoned Corvette

I pumped up the tires, which shockingly held air, called a specialty towing company, who assured me they would send a TOP MAN, and loving placed the Stingray into clean, if somewhat small garage, in preparation for cleaning it up and trying to start it. I am just about to head out and buy some 10w40 conventional oil, an oil filter, an air filter, zinc additive, five gallons of 93 octane gas, sparkplugs, a battery and some air fresheners. I don't think that I am forgetting anything obvious, I have a mediocre assortment of tools, a buddy and a positive attitude! We are planning on trying to start it this weekend and do some sick donuts, I mean gingerly drive it a few feet.

Steering works, frame has only surface rust and appears to be in good shape for having sat for three decades under a pile of garbage.

Nice. Keep me updated and maybe take a video when you try to start it.

Do you know what you're doing? Could do more harm than good...

>93 octane gas
Good goy.

Eh, it's a mid-70s C3. There's nothing you could do to it that would make it any trashier. Have your way with her, do with her what you please.

Royal Purple has the zinc needed so you don't have to buy any additive shit. Do 10w-30.

It's a 1970-72.

I love you

Usually ethanol free.

'68-'72. '72 was the last year with chrome bumpers, removable rear window and side grills

Glad to see you're continuing on with it. You might want to freshen up the brake fluid, power steering fluid and transmission fluid but that can wait. I'd also add some enzyme to the fuel you may not get a second chance to easily clean the fuel system. I like Star Tron from Lowe's

Auto-parts store closed early for no reason I guess, maybe I will go tomorrow morning before work.
I thought a heavier weight would be safer at first, I will probably change it quickly after some accumulated gunk and spiders works its way out. Just going to buy some cheap conventional for the first change.
Manual steering, good idea on the brake fluid, as its pretty easy to change, I will probably wait on the trans. I can buy race gas as well, but I thought that would be too much, so perhaps a fuel additive could be a good idea.
If I can't turn the engine over with a wrench, I will have to oil all the cylinders individually, but hopefully it will turn.

You might be well served to put some marvels mystery oil in all the cylinders before trying. Avoid dry metal on metal scraping and may break up some rust

This OP, have you taken the plugs out and attempted to turn the engine by hand? You just have to put a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt.

Not yet no, I haven't done anything yet. Turning the engine by hand will be my starting point.

Most American V8s pre smog require premium gas

>You just have to put a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt.
Careful with that on a SBC. The crank bolt is fucking tiny and will strip the threads out of the crank. True many get away with it but it's also true that many wish they hadn't tried. Best to use one of those flywheel turning tools on a SBC.

OP might want some starting fluid along. IME some engines that have sat awhile need something to blow the dust off, so to speak, before they'll fire on their own. Oh, and smell the fuel in the tank first too. If it doesn't smell like gasoline you'll be better off rigging your own fuel source until you can get that shit out of the tank.

>68-72
May have points and if it's sat a good long time the points may need a bit of emery cloth or something used on the contacts so that there's actually a connection when they're closed.

What is a point?

That's a great looking Corvette. Are you going to swap a V8 in it?

>abandoned
is this just a misleading angle? Condition looks great

Before they had electronic ignition figured out they had some voodoo space magic called points. The car will have a distributor and some black magic inside the distributor cap that needs to be adjusted every 1-2,000 miles. They sale replacement kits to eliminate the points that are absolutely easy to use and completely worth the upgrade.

T. 1974 mercury Capri owner

That baby is all original, OP should just switch out the fluids, get it running, and either treasure it, or sell it all original to help fund repairs and updates to his new house.

God speed user

He found it buried under trash in the garage of a crack house he picked up at auction.

But because cars are titled separately, he committed a

In foreclosures and shit, that doesn't matter, which is why when you're going to lose the house and your car loan holder finds out, they'll often repo your car even if you're not behind on your payments, and if you're going to fold a business, you need to remove all your personal property from any premise that's business related before you file the first scrap of paperwork.

Anyways, titling an old car that's not be registered in years is piss easy, just have to swear a bond that it isn't stolen.

You are joking right? Corvettes only came with a v8 by the generation before this. It already has a v8 like nearly all corvettes ever made. I didn't think it was possible to be that ignorant.

>they'll often repo your car even if you're not behind on your payments
that makes absolutely no sense, you horrendous faggot.

This is a wondrous and incredible tale. Godspeed, user.

I think he's thinking of bankruptcy

Just make sure it's not an L88 before you touch it.

Fuck I want one.

>a good thread on Veeky Forums
Holy shit, keep us updated

It isn't. It's a locomp 350/350 car. Still cool though

Maybe he could use the money for an IRS swap instead?

It is irs. Read a book

No it doesn't. Not even diesel oil has the zinc and phosphorus flat tappets prefer. he's best off adding something like zddplus or run a fraction of a bottle of Lucas break in oil, like 1/8th a bottle is enough to bring most oil up to 1500ppm of zinc.

Pull all the plugs out put atf in the cylinders and let it sit for at least 24 hours. You don't want a stuck piston ring to snap off. Then work it with a breaker bar. If you can make it turn over at least one full revolution then you can use the starter. Do an oil and filter change, open the the carb up, unhook the coil wire, keep plugs and and crank it with a new battery until it builds oil pressure.

The paint looks nice but maybe he should consider replacing the hood with one made out of fiberglass to save some weight.

>automatic 200hp 5.7L

yeah it needs a V8 swap

It's an original number's matching 350/350 car with a low compression motor. Modifying it is possible, but kind of pointless. In this good of shape, you're better off just driving it.

This was more or less my basic plan, add some starter fluid, new plugs and black ice. I am also going to drop the gas tank to drain the fuel system.
I think I will replace the whole body with fiberglass to save weight, I'll add a much more rounded and higher front end for pedestrian safety. I shudder when I think of what may happen to a poor happless pedestrian standing in the middle of the road if I hit him. How could they have been so stupid back then!
Yeah, it's a low milage, totally original (from what I can tell) Stingray in great condition. Spending money on mods would only decrease the cars value.

This is good advice. In my experience resurrecting cars that have been sitting for years the fuel system is the only consistent problem. You'll almost certainly have to clean the gas tank & sending unit and replace fuel filter, pump, & hoses.

>automatic
why not save yourself from all of this hassle and just scrap it ?

Can we start up a Corvette rescue and find good homes for abandoned and abused Corvette's?

OP can and should do the required minimum to get it running, not touch anything else as he says it's original, rip some hektic skids and sell it to a Boomer for $30k and fix up his new house.