Flying > driving

So why haven't you gotten your pilot's license so you can avoid all the peasants yet Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part6-standards-a625a-2458.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=GKURxNMi2xA
youtube.com/watch?v=L-4XsDQYDi4
youtube.com/watch?v=8xtUyn9M9mE
youtube.com/watch?v=80XAJKqRU9k
youtube.com/watch?v=YhdNjzX4waA
youtube.com/watch?v=SrQrkZtg-mo
youtube.com/watch?v=C7NSUFDHFgg
youtube.com/watch?v=SMG1WCVff0I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I bet most of these busriders can't afford it, OP. Flying's expensive and they require quite a bit more training to fly than they do to drive. And you're not allowed to work on your own plane either, except for changing the oil. Anything else you have to take to someone licensed to work on whatever plane it is you have.

I don't own a plane nor live in a place with ample space to store it.

My vision is shit even if i really wanted to i can't get licensed

You can actually do quite a bit to your own plane provided it's a private plane and not in a commercial operation.
You don't need perfect vision, corrected 20/20 is fine with glasses or contact lenses.

You don't store it in your garage anyway, lol. You rent a hangar. And at some airports near big cities, there can be quite the waiting list for hangar space. You can tie it down outside at the ramp, but even then some airports will charge you per day to be able to do that. Generally the ones closer to a city, the more expensive it all gets.

Maybe they've relaxed the rules since I was last in the game. There are a lot of rules and they keep changing them.

I can barely afford the payments on my Lexus. You'd expect me to have a plane?

It's like an 10 year old German car these days. The initial purchase price isn't what'll get you - it's the maintenance.

Because that's illegal in my country

tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part6-standards-a625a-2458.htm

Here's everything you can do.

A used Cessna 172 is only like 50k CAD.

What sort of shithole country do you live in where being a pilot is illegal?

I've thought about it because driving back to Indiana is shit and I could buy a plane instead of going in on shares.

Still even the most minor accident and everybody dies. I don't want to kill my whole family or worse leave one kid miracle survivor. That's pretty much why I don't.

I have my private license with multi engine + night rating. It's too expensive and there are too many rules. I'm glad I decided to fix planes instead.

I have a panic attack even time I'm aboard a plane. I hate them.
Sad too because my dad was a pilot and loved flying more than anything

>What sort of shithole country do you live in where being a pilot is illegal?
I live in Iran. Greetings

أهلاً و سهلاً

Most of these accidents are preventable. Most are caused by VFR flight into IMC or improper loading of plane.

FUCK

Any pilots on here?

YEAH!

proof?

I'm a soloed student. It's pretty nice.

See Nice shot

I want to go flying in the mountains someday.

oops, didn't realize it was sideways.

aircraft mechanic here. fuck all you tightwad pilots who try to stop us making your aircraft airworthy

can you joyfly or are you under surveillance by a traffic controller at at times or what

If you're flying VFR you can fly pretty much however you want as long as you're keeping clear of unauthorized airspace and looking out for traffic.

You can only joyfly within regulations (there are billions of regulations) if you tell ATC your intentions to "practice" in a set area which you do not leave.
>Burgerton Tower, Mike Romeo Uniform, I'll be practicing flying maneuvers 10 miles south of the Pizza NDB
>Burgerton Tower, Mike Romeo Uniform, stay between 6000 and 3000 ft
>Mike Romeo Uniform (just say your ident to confirm you heard)

greentext?

cool

not that I'll ever fly though. Too bad we're a century too early for recreational spaceships

well i moved from a fairly busy, modern business to a somewhat sleepier town and airfield, where there's a significant "good ol boy" network

>hey i know my aircraft is due for its annuals but i've only done 5 hours, can you just sign it?
>hey my aircraft is due for a 100hr, i've already done the check for you, can you just sign it?
>hey my stall warning has failed, a replacement one was hundreds of dollars so i went to jaycar and fitted a $4 buzzer. can you just sign it?
>hey i know that airworthiness directive applies to me but there's nothing wrong with my starter. can you just change the serial number in the log book?
>its only an orange warning light. if there was really an issue they would have made the lens red

and my favorite

>its a microlight so i dont have to follow rules

I was planning to get my license when im younger but i dont have the money to afford lessons and shit. Ive flown twice and I do hope to eventually get my license. It really is an amazing and fantastic thing to do.

You do realize how incredibly, mind-bogglingly vast and empty space is, right? Even the asteroids in the asteroid belt are millions of miles apart. With current technology, it'd take you 5 years to get to Mars, and 500 years to get to the next solar system. You can't really fly a spaceship "recreationally."

I could probably scrounge up enough money for the lessons but I beyond that I'd barely be able to afford to rent a plane and let alone buy one and rent out space to store it. Then throw fuel costs on top of that too.

Maybe one day I will if I ever come into more money but not at the moment. Flying is something I've always wanted to do ever since I first played FS95 on my first PC.

>he doesn't worm hole
LOL stay 3d faggot.

Oh shit I'm sorry.

Ah, that makes sense. We made it illegal for you to fly after you flew two planes into our towers.

i was thinking more that precisely because it's so empty, no one would care if you were horseplaying somewhere, then again dunno how exciting that would be if it's so empty

Do they still have NDBs? I thought they were moving to get rid of them and VORs in favor of GPS everywhere.

It's not their ticket, they don't care.

well yeah thats pretty much the gist of it. they push us to do "favours" for them, when something goes wrong it's all finger pointing and denying they'd ever work on their own aircraft, your honour

of course they also make out like youre totally unreasonable when you put your foot down

It's only a favor if you're getting compensated for it some other way. Otherwise they're just niggers begging for a handout.

Also, if they're not paying you, they're not really customers...

well they pay us, the "favours" are basically us looking the other way while various shit goes on

im sure its not unique to aviation, that the same customers that give us 90% of the bullshit, only give us about 10% of the income

>I live in Iran
They let you go on Veeky Forums?
Solid.

Chronic buttpain that is unfixable currently.

Same reason why I barely drive, gave up on my dreams of being a pilot, etc.

They are being phased out, but you can still use them. VORs are immensely superior though.

Planes are gay you can't do hektik skidz.

>get a plane
>nowhere to park it
>want to travel anywhere
>have to take the bus because there is no where to land it

>noplane faggot doesn't know what a forward slip is
>can literally hold a drift as long as I want traveling in a straight line
Stay BTFO groundie

Rotary>Fixed Wing
Less congested and more hirable if you're going the commercial route

I want to learn to fly a glider. My mum talks about how she used to go gliding with her parents and it sounds like a lot of fun.
I'm just a bit worried about the whole not having an engine part.

oh man I feel you, most people take being able to take a regular shit for granted

I recently had inflammation of my ass so it felt like the gates of hell when I dropped one, it was an eye opening experience, truly

hang tight brother

I did m8

I'll get through it eventually, key word being eventually. It'll take some time, years probably but I'll be able to function a somewhat normal life.

Until then I'll be a miserable fuck blogposting on Mongolian Barbecue Imageboards and to my Barbecue Enthusiast friends.

Doesn't count. Enjoy getting cucked by microbursts.

This
Side slips are basically drifting the plane

Because there are no peasants on the water.....

What's the aircraft version of Eurobeat?

They have ways to help your fear of flying

There is fucking retards on here that can't even manage to drive a manual car. How in the fuck could they even began to learn how to fly?

My office parking lot doesn't have a runway to land on

>implying thrust-vectoring all over empty space and getting pounded by g-force won't be the bee's knees

You don't get to listen to music while flying. Well, you can but it also limits where you can fly, because certain spaces require you to be in contact with ATC. And what's ATC chatter like? You basically are listening to the world's most boring talk radio show and sometimes you get to call in and participate. In certain ATC spaces, that can be interesting because there are so many planes in the air at once that the channel is filled.

Sort of. I guess you could add crabbing to that as well. When you have 3 dimensions to work with, more things are possible...

There's a reason there are less heli pilots too. Copter time is 2-3x more expensive than fixed wing and flying copters is much more dangerous too, especially in the regions they are the most useful, hovering low to the ground.

Danger zone on repeat

Glider pilots tend to use the terrain they're in as their "engine". If you live near mountains, the winds generated can provide plenty of energy to a glider to allow it to stay in the air for quite a while.

They're still phasing them out? Geez the gubmint moves slow.

Yes sir, private pilot and I should have my instrument rating in about a month.

Lol ocean fags btfo
>get sunk by a pebble
>boats r slow and cant do skidz like the coolbois
>20 tonnes
>can't turn
>999999999999999999999999cc v8 engine
>0-60 30minutes

>tfw I'm out of money for lessons
I'VE GOT ME AGONY AS BIG AS A WHALE AND IT'S ABOUT TO SET SAIL

>He thinks all boats are 20 tons
>He thinks there are speed limits on the water
>He will never experience glorious 3 cylinder 2 strokes.
>He thinks boats can't drift
>His car can't even bank at 30 degrees while doing hectic skids
>His car is required to have a muffler

Fucking landcucks not knowing their place...

>He thinks there are no speed limits on the water

I'm going to get my GPL (Glider's Pilot License) soon.

Actual powered flight is too much of a hassle. I think I will be content with just sail planes.

Also later on I can get a sustainer and have what is essentially a very light very efficient plane.

Seems to me, if you want to fly as a hobby move to a rural place with one of those one airstrip super small airports.

Or just buy land in the middle of nowhere and make your own airstrip.

Gliders are safer than small planes.

Like, what can ever go wrong? They are harder to stall and if anything goes wrong, you have a parachute.

>He thinks speed is regulated outside of marinas and creeks.

youtube.com/watch?v=GKURxNMi2xA
youtube.com/watch?v=L-4XsDQYDi4
youtube.com/watch?v=8xtUyn9M9mE
youtube.com/watch?v=80XAJKqRU9k
youtube.com/watch?v=YhdNjzX4waA
youtube.com/watch?v=SrQrkZtg-mo
youtube.com/watch?v=C7NSUFDHFgg
youtube.com/watch?v=SMG1WCVff0I

>download UH-1 Huey for DCS (military grade combat sim)
>constantly playing the pedals and cyclic because choppers are naturally unstable
>eventually get the hang of hovering and go in for a skids landing
>suddenly hit a vortex ring for seemingly no reason, rotor stalls, don't even know what I did to induce it
>can't eject and too low for an autorotation
>die
Fuck helicopters, they're deathtraps

>Fuck helicopters, they're deathtraps
I only fly model helicopters, but swashplates are black fucking magic.

I have it, but general aviation has been steadily getting more expensive for like 50 years now and we're at the point where you have to make several hundred thousand per year to even consider owning a plane. Sure, you can buy some used 1960s cherokee for the price of a Mustang GT, but then you have to pay ramp/hangar fee, insurance, fuel, annuals, maintenance, etc. Your 1960s plane is probably cheap because the engine is close to overhaul time, enjoy spending $15,000 on that.

>but swashplates are black fucking magic.
maybe if you're retarded. They're incredibly simple, take a minute to put your model on the ground and spin the main rotor by hand while actuating the cyclic and collective, and if you have an IQ over 60 you'll be able to figure out what's going on. Unless you're such a fucking chump that your model doesn't have collective, in that case fly it into a dumpster then jump of a bridge, n00b.

i thought about it because one of my old colleagues had a license and shared ownership of a plane and i went flying with him once and it was quite cool, but i realized i'd rather put money towards track days or maybe even racing one day