We got a new golf and if has the stupid electronic handbrake

We got a new golf and if has the stupid electronic handbrake
How the fuck do i make sure it's engaged when i'm parked
Also what if i don't wanna rely on solely my transmission to hold the car?
Why can't i leave it in neutral like i've done all these years?

Sorry guys, first automatic and i have no idea how it works

I've driven one of those new Passats that also had an electronic parking brake. Basically you'll hear the hydraulics engage when you pull the little switch.

I tried this, but even if the light was on i could rock it in neutral
Do i need the shifter in P?
What does it even do in a dsg?

normies put their cars in park with few consequences literally millions of times per day
just put it in park and don't worry about it unless you're on a hill

In automatics it engages a lock on the transmission, iirc. On a DSG it probably does the same.

I'm guessing it's the same as leaving it in 1st
But what if i just want to leave it in neutral
It won't even let me pull the key out if it's not in park

It's different from leaving it in 1st, as it actually locks up the transmission.

This, and turn your steering wheel so the vehicle will go against the curb if either the transmission or brake or both happens not to be engaged. That method is as old as automobiles and hills.

It's called a park pawl and it physically locks the transmission, which locks the drive train. Of course it wont let you pull the key out in neutral, the interlocks view that as an unsafe condition to walk away from the vehicle. The only thing that the park brake is for is to limit wear on the park pawl when it's on a slope.

>This and turn your steering wheel so that you get massive curb rash if it rolls

No thanks.

Better than smashing into the car behind/in front.

this

nice "I used to drive a manual" humble brag

pro-tip: nobody is impressed

A plastic bumper these days is cheaper to replace than my Enkeis.

If you've never been in an automatic car before, how are you going to know these things?

What about head-/taillight assemblies?

>humble brag
you have no idea what you're talking about. saying you drive manual isnt bragging, its saying you're not a complete faggot

>saying you drive manual isnt bragging, its saying you're not a complete faggot
exactly why I am not impressed

because it says park right on the shifter and wont allow you to remove the key without the car being in park

I've never driven auto before and i'm italian, so we didn't even get them before the 2000s, so nobody i know ever had one

Not cheaper than going through someone else's insurance. That cheap bumper will be x10 the normal cost, especially if painting is involved.

don't know how VW's elctronic handbrake works
but on my parents' c class it uses the normal braking system and you can feel the brake pedal getting sucked in a bit when pushing the button
>How the fuck do i make sure it's engaged when i'm parked
every car comes with a light on the dashboard telling you when it's engaged
>Why can't i leave it in neutral like i've done all these years?
then you've done it wrong all those years, always put your car in P or first gear when parked
should your parking brake fail the inertia and friction of your engine and gearbox is most likely enough to keep it in place
but it must be connected to your wheels, which it isn't in neutral

Gotcha
It's my first time with anything so technological
This thing doesn't even have a dash, just screens all over