Truck Thread

Redpill me on trucks.

Ive always thought it'd be handy to have a truck to haul stuff around with how much I borrow friends/family trucks for hauling parts/bikes/etc.
Well i just got a perfectly good 40hp 18' jon boat from my cousin for $1000 I couldn't pass up. Think I wanna pull the trigger on a cheap truck. Will just be driven around town mostly and for putting boat in water. Maybe out of town occasionally to haul my dirtbike/wheeler to go riding somewhere.

Thinking $1000-2000 at most.
What brand should I look for in this area. Is v6 okay? Is something like an s10/ranger/dakota going to be too small?

I see a lot of all old full sizes on the road, k1500, f150s, and ram 1500s so are they all pretty good trucks?

Other urls found in this thread:

denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/gmc-sierra/6229392766.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3X1bc4kNLHI
usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/06/car-loans-now-top-1-trillion-delinquency-rates-rise/89911210/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get a GMT400, half-ton 5.7L. C1500 or K1500.

The 350ci is one of the most reliable, best small block engines you can get for the money. All of them are insanely cheap and are simple to work on. That'll more than likely fall inside of your price range.

Pic related, my boy.

Price can depend on your area a LOT.

Around here (SE Iowa) is truck-land. Every swingin dick in high school has a truck and then beyond - $1000 trucks here go for like $3000-4000. Primarily if it's a 4WD v8 Full-Size

That said, I was in similar shoes and I had my eyes set on getting a 5.0 or 4.9 I6 F150 most likely in 2WD. I wanted to also pull a boat, but mainly just hauling stuff. They seem to be more plentifully available at realistic prices.I mostly blame their reasonable prices here because they don't have as much masculinity in their looks as their Ram1500/K1500 counter parts.

I would stay away from dodge though, every one I've seen especially from 90's to early 2000's get DOG shit gas mileage. Without a trailer my buddy's 5.9 Ram1500 got 8mpg in a 4 hour trip. Pulling my buddy's car with my 5.7 k1500 the same trip I got 11.4mpg.
Dodges also have loads of issues and yes they are known for trans issues.

The F150's are pretty reliable, and the k1500's as well. The motors are bullet proof for the most part. They can leak fluids out of every mating surface and run forever. Transmissions are generally ok too. The 700R4/4l60 in the GM trucks isn't the best but it's not a ticking time bomb either like a dodge.

The main things that plague these trucks is chassis/suspension/steering components.
Get that stuff squared away and you'll be good for awhile. Don't mess with knock/china parts for all that. Get moog and you'll likely be good for long term.

I have a 97 K1500 4x4 with the 5.7 - i lucked out on mine and traded a $1100 SVT Focus for it. Even though it has rust it'd sell for 3500-4500 if I were to post it on CL.

So keep your eyes open. Know what to check - pay attention to steering/suspension.
For your needs a 6cyl truck would probably do fine though I'd stay away from the rangers. S10 4.3 would just barely be enough for the boat.

I'd stick to full size in your shoes.

>buying a truck to do things you need a trailer for anyway
>thinking you can buy a decent truck for a grand or two
You'll barely get a boat trailer for a grand if the boat doesn't already come with it.

If the boat does come with a trailer, the grand is better spent on a trailer hitch and an extra utility trailer for hauling crap and offroad toys.

>Redpill me on trucks.
Okay, if your only hauling a catfishing boat & have a trailer for the dirtbikes then just get a fucking explorer or surburban w/ a tow package. Like you can even use a old ass 4 liter xj, hell the boat is probably light enough you might be able to use an xj too w/o problems.

Many people think they NEED a truck but don't use one enough to justify the shitty mileage & higher purchase costs.

Truck is a hybrid, the problem with hybrid is that they can do several things but aren't optimal in anything
Wanna haul things ? Get a van
Wanna drive on destroyed road ? Get a SUV
Wanna move your family around ? Get a family van

With a pickup you can do all three but with limitation

I'm gonna second the 1500. I had DD a 97 for 4 years, up until about a month ago. Single cab, long bed, it was able to haul anything I needed it to. Only things I ever had to replace on it were the brake booster and wiper motor
It in the background with my new shitbox

boat has a trailer already
I'm confused by people acting like trucks aren't very useful.

My dirtbike and ATV can both fit in the back about any truck bed of any full size. It's a 400ex and I've even had it in the back of a 90 S10 with tail gate down it was fine.

I never intended to buy a 2nd trailer for hauling toys. I can strap down anything in a truck bed.

Wtf is difference between those? mileage is pretty similar between SUV and truck especially when a lot of what we're talking about in the 90s and early 2000's all shared same drivetrains.

With an SUV i lose the ability to haul my bike/wheeler in the bed, I likely won't be able to just throw shit in back as easily without fear of getting carpet dirty or busting up interior pieces as opposed to a metal truck bed.

I do a lot of DIY stuff around my house and like, I hauled some ducting an industrial heater in a friends truck a couple months back. It stuck out over top of cab so it would be too tall for an SUV's roof, again couldn't haul it without a trailer.
I never said I need to haul family around. I have a gf and no kids. Why are people applying circumstantial shit that has no implication on what I was asking for?

>truck is hybrid
uhh isn't that what SUV's are supposed to be? created to be a balance between a family vehicle and work vehicle
>haul things? get a van
Would be great until I wanted to haul a wheeler, dirtbike unless I laid it oni ts side, or anything that wouldn't fit because of the roof.
>wanna drive on destroyed road? get a suv
And why wouldn't a truck do this? Does the loss of an enclosed rear suddenly negate off-road capability? lol

If I suddenly had a hard-on for an enclosed back or needed to protect something from the elements why couldnt I just get a topper?

>has a trailer for boat hauling
>doesn't want to get a trailer for ATV hauling because AWWW CAN STRAP 'ER DOOUUWWWN
Autism.

wtf is this mentality?
>has a trailer for boat hauling
You act like you swap boats around on trailers every day lmao, it's a boat /w trailer. It comes with it.

>would rather spend $1000+ on an extra trailer that ultimately is unnecessary than using truck bed
>calling it autistic for loading ATVs/dirtbikes in a truck bed and strapping it down rather than loading them on a trailer and strapping it down.

holy fuck you're literally retarded

>wants to get a complete clapped out, piece of junk beater truck instead of a utility/ATV trailer for his probably far nicer car
>implies that trailers aren't far easier to load than trucks thanks to a lower floor and better accessibility from all sides

>posts pic of a crotch rocket that is literally a couple inches clearance from the ground compared to my two offroad toys

>trailers far easier to load
I've NEVER thought loading shit in a truck was hard.
I much rather have my shit in a truck bed than on a trailer and sacrafice even more mileage by pulling the trailer, take more effort to park, more limited where I go whenever I was hauling the toys somewhere.

The biggest issue we have with my buddy's trailer that he hauls his wheelers out with when we go riding - is some of the land where we go, where we park is a lot of dirt/mud roads on the way. It can be even more of a hassle for him getting his truck and trailer to where we are going to park. Meanwhile stuff in the truck bed, no trailer to worry about falling into ruts or anything either.

>wants to get a complete clapped out, piece of junk
where the fuck did I say that? You're so desperate to advocate a shitty SUV that you're putting words in my mouth.
I want a no frills 90's truck. I know I've seen them cheap. It's possible to find shit cheap just because of its age/undesirability due to no options/single cab/etc.

You should really stop commenting about shit you know nothing about - apparently only what you watch on youtube.

this is why you don't ask Veeky Forums for advice on trucks or anything you might do actual work with
nothing but miata driving NEETs who have never had to haul anything in their life.

>drive car
>get 25 mpg without trailer
>get 18 mpg with trailer
>drive truck
>get 18 mpg all the time
>get 15 mpg with boat trailer

>muh lawn cuttings
>muh ATV
>muh 400 lbs johnsonboat

>actual work

>drive truck
>don't need trailer to haul stuff

Except when you do, and you already do.

>boy i love hauling firewood in the back of my mazda 6
>boy sure would be a lot simpler to just buy a utility trailer to load that couch in than to just put it in the back of my s10
>boy I sure want to pull a combined load (trailer/actual load) of 1000-1500lbs with my 4cyl mazda 6
>boy i just love accelerated wear on my passenger cars on the engine/trans/suspension (spoiler alert: cars aren't designed for extended use pulling trailers like in the 70s/80's)

I could go on forever youre literally just throwing random hypotheticals. I fucking haul bricks, lawn equipment, my big miller welder, and random landscaping materials all the time in my little 2.2 S10.
Guess what - with a full load I get about 19mpg. I get about 23-25mpg without a load.
Trailer weight on top of a full load would make my small truck struggle.

I can't believe you're literally trying to argue against the practicality of having a truck. Veeky Forumstist at its finest

Except I don't

I can think of 0 times in the last year I've needed a trailer to haul anything.
I've borrowed trucks from friends probably 20+ times in the last year to haul stuff.

Last time I needed a trailer was to haul parted out grand prix to the junkyard, in 2015.

You're the only one here with such a raging hard-on for buying a trailer and pulling it around with a car.
For a good trailer you're looking at $1000-2000 as well. I'd rather just buy a truck that will suit my needs and act as a 2nd vehicle if I need it.
>mpg
to be honest I could care less about mpg in the long run. My dd is a '2011 fusion 4cyl I'd rather not tear up pulling a trailer up and down gravel and dirt roads and like mentioned above adding that stress to a drivetrain/chassis not designed for it.

>boy i love hauling firewood in the back of my mazda 6
That's what the utility trailer would be for.
>boy sure would be a lot simpler to just buy a utility trailer to load that couch in than to just put it in the back of my s10
Because buying a pickup truck to haul that couch would be so much cheaper and easier, right?
>boy I sure want to pull a combined load (trailer/actual load) of 1000-1500lbs with my 4cyl mazda 6
The current Mazda 6 is rated for 2850 to 3500 lbs towing in Europe depending on the engine. Hauling 1000 lbs in the back of a tired old 4cyl compact truck isn't any better.
>boy i just love accelerated wear on my passenger cars on the engine/trans/suspension (spoiler alert: cars aren't designed for extended use pulling trailers like in the 70s/80's)
Yes they are, see above for the European tow rating, the US gubmint and auto industry just like to make you think that you need to spend extra on a STRONG MURRICAN TRRRRUUUUCK just to haul a bucket of piss around so that Detroit doesn't go completely belly up.

And now you can please stop talking out of your ass and use your head for once.

Wow look at that trailer. It's about the same size as the bed on my S10, and its sides are about as tall too. Man it just looks so much more practical. I changed my mind, I agree. I'd rather have a trailer. I'd love to instead buy a trailer and store it on my property and not have my s10 for a backup vehicle. I'd instead love to have to go hookup my mazda 6 and drive it pulling the trailer through fields/offroad (lot of what I do for landscaping).

>current mazda 6
My 07 mazda 6 owners manual recommends not pulling anything. A brief search of google shows people saying not to exceed 1,000lbs if you have to tow.
Man, my frequent need of hauling stuff sounds like my mazda would be well suited to using a trailer behind it instead and more than likely doubling the wear on my vehicle.Euro rating is 1200lb max.

>picture of subaru
or are you trying to say I should buy a another car for the purpose of pulling a trailer?

Man your ideas just sound so much better than my 98 S10 I bought for $1600 8 years ago and have put on an alternator, tie rods, ball joints, and brakes in the last 8 years. I'm about $1900 into this truck that has probably contributed to the ~40k in side jobs I've made since I got it.

Are you done being retarded and getting laughed out of this thread by everyone?

Or, I can just get a truck that can haul whatever I put in the back while you struggle to pull your trailer in your little sedan and annoy every other driver on the road

I'm sure your S10 has a 10ft by 6ft bed. Keep dreaming, dickhead. You're purposely finding excuses to ignore anything I say. The European tow rating for the 2006 Mazda 6 is 2850 lbs as well. Americans are simply scared little babies about towing with cars. Also you're not OP and OP doesn't sound like he plans to do landscaping in the middle of fields, so what makes you a better authority on his needs than anyone else?

>muh 20 years old 150 hp Ranger for $1000 will be such a better hauler than a 190 hp car blah blah blah

do this if you enjoy rebuilding transmissions for fun

Do Americans generally manufacture car transmissions from glass?

God damn you sure love your trailers.
I'll stick to just hopping in my truck and running to the local Menards and filling bed full of whatever materials I'm buying that day.

Unless your thousand dollar truck doesn't start up, like so many times. Trailers only have two wheels and two brakes and a few wires and bulbs on them. Next to nothing that can break.

>muh soccer mom kid carrier is better at moving material than a vehicle designed for hauling

(you)

Man sure glad you included those measurements in that picture - are you sure that's the size of the trailer?
Lol i can't think of jack shit I've done recently that my 8ft bed would haul, 9ft after I drop the tailgate.
2850lbs my ass, please link me to where even eurofags are saying my 06 mazda 6 4cyl 5 speed is RECOMMENDED to be be hauling 2850lbs routinely.

OP is going to be hauling a fucking boat that trailer/boat/motor will probably amount to 1500-1800lbs. Dirtbikes & 4wheeler.

Same if not more load than what I haul.

I'd say I'm worlds better of an authority on the topic than you.

Not excuses, real experience.
I have reason to have a lot of doubt you've done any real kind of hauling yourself. Just because you live in shitty yurop where you have too many regulations and are taxed too heavily to be able to buy vehicles made for the jobs.

The Jetta TDI uses the same engine that constitutes the base diesel in these things. You're only making yourself look like a clown underestimating diesels and passenger car tow capacities the way you do.

>thinks the engine is what matters in a tow vehicle

Its only part of it

>are you sure that's the size of the trailer?
I'm not going to bet money on whether it's 3200 mm or 3500 mm long, but it's definitely considerably larger than a truck bed. Go and measure your S10, it's going to be 6 or 7 ft long and less than 4 ft wide between the wheel arches.

Hasn't done it in 8 years
Who now is trying to find ANY excuse to ignore who?

If it doesn't start up guess what I would do? I would fix it.

Now the kicker to all this - I actually have a utility trailer. I just can see how fucking retarded your views are trying to recommend a car/trailer for op's needs.
I've had the utility trailer since 2010. I pull it with my s10 also when I have bigger jobs that I can't fit everything in the bed. If this happens usually both truck bed and trailer are both full.

The trailer is a 2008. I had to replace the wood 2 years ago. I've had to replace both tires. I didn't have much land before I bought my house last year. I had to leave the trailer on the street in front of my house. I always worried about it getting stolen as it happened frequently around that area to others.
And it was $1100, and that was used.

Stop acting like a trailer is such a cheap and easy alternative to a truck lol. This isn't the UK where we are paying $15/gallon and can't buy a decent condition older truck for the same $.

And what are their gross weights?

Have Americans not heard of the Van concept yet? Or has that idea not reached their 3rd world states yet?

You can place lots of stuff in the back, and it's covered with a roof so it doesn't get wet! How neat is that?

You complain about having to replace two god knows how old trailer tires but you're using the same tires on the S10 since 2009? Yeah right.

Also
>wooden trailers

6,200 lbs GVWR plus 4,900 lbs towing on the small diesel. 7,700 lbs GVWR plus 7,700 lbs towing on the big diesel.

Except I already covered that.
my bed width is over 5ft. Who cares about between the wheel arches? They don't get in the way of much.

Not to mention my roll up bed cover when I'm hauling dirt/grass/etc, man sure would be a lot easier if I had a trailer and had to tie down a tarp.

I can't believe how hard you're TRYING just to get laughed at here.

Trailers have their place - everything discussed in this thread is not one. Op's original post had nothing that would benefit him to buying a trailer and pulling it with his fusion.

tires were new when i got the truck. at about 40% now. How surprising is that?
>god knows how old trailer tires were
I shouldn't be surprised you can't read when I said trailer is a 2008. Tires I replaced in 2012. They're due again actually now.

>wooden trailers
Oh, that's right - you'd rather spend $2000-3000 on a nice aluminum/steel trailer to accomplish the same task my $1600 S10 has for 8 years.

>Who cares about between the wheel arches?
Anyone who wants to put something down flat instead of just piling bulk mulch into his bed. Europallets are 1200x800mm, so lengthwise you can only fit two of them in an 8ft bed, and widthwise you need 4ft clearance between the arches.

Op here
I filtered the autist trying to tell me I should haul my wheeler/bike/boat with a trailer and my ford fusion awhile back.

Can anyone give me some feedback on this?
denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/gmc-sierra/6229392766.html

guy said nothing wrong except ac charge only lasts a month or so, and only the highest blower speed works (so resistor i think), and drivers door sags and needs door pins.
said 4wd works, all options work otherwise.

Said he'd take $1700 bottom dollar.

Just buy a fucking van. Plenty of space in them.

The Ford "Fusion" is actually rated for 2200 to 4400 lbs towing in Europe depending on engine and transmission option.

>europallets
boy better make sure my USA truck can fit those euro pallets.

I actually have a 89 f150 with a homemade steel flatbed I put together for it when I got it cause it needed a fuel pump and when replacing it the bed was so rusty I didn't want to bother putting it back on. So I don't really have any issue hauling flat stuff.

But sounds like anything the op is talking about using a truck for isnt going to be affected by that so i dont know what you're crying so hard over regarding euro trucks and trailers

>europe towing ratings
lol fuck off
yeah im sure op is gonna ride his 4 wheeler right into the back of the van

sounds like a good deal. would be a 2500-3500 truck in my area. i'd jump on it

I already know that American pallets are a complete fucking train wreck, no need to rub it in my face. 40x48in, 42x42in, 48x48in, 48x42in, 40x40in, 48x45in, 44x44in, 36x36in, 48x36in, what the hell are you people even thinking?

I've stayed out of this thread after my initial post since it just became a derailed cesspool.
I will just say I would not recommend making a habit of pulling 1000lb+ trailers with economy passenger cars.

That said, you have the right mindset - and that truck looks like a good deal pretty close to mine and I've been super happy with it. Just don't forget to thoroughly check over steering/suspension components.

So why are you here?

>literally giving recommendations for towing/hauling in Yurop
Strawman arguments everywhere

I didn't design the pallet sizes by the way but they get the job done.

I can see you're just assplastered over america for some reason and are using that angst to fuel this autistic screeching about towing/hauling.

Why are trucks/utes so fucking big these days? I just want a smaller sized truck; I don't need supersized F150 for hauling tools.

he's from yurop.
they're too poor and limited for space to afford 2 vehicles let alone the fact they pay 4x cost of fuel so they cant afford a full size truck.

Neither can you technically.

>country a trillion dollars in debt for cars
>infrastructure two trillion dollars behind in maintenance because apparently taxes are theft
>BUT AT LEAST OUR BARGES ARE BIG

To please the murican market.

I want a small S10 or Ranger again.

Colorado/canyon or a Tacoma. If those are too big for you maybe trucks aren't for you.

>debt
Who will collect though?
You sure won't, pussy.
I owe on my house and nothing else. Enjoy your tiny apartment that is smaller than my walk in closet

the yurop guy in this thread:
>"BUT YOUR IS EURO RATED TO TOW 2500LBS!

Bernice will.

youtube.com/watch?v=3X1bc4kNLHI

>posting a V6 outback, AWD, the one that IS rated for 3600lbs+
>further below recommending this guy use his fwd economy car to pull his boat and trailer with atv

Boy I can't wait to see you take your eurotrash fwd 1.4l and pull 1500-2000lbs up a wet boat ramp.

Before you try that though we'll make it easier on us both and just go ahead and hook up a tow strap to your car so after it slides down the ramp into the water I can pull it out with my C10.

>national debt having anything to do with individual purchasing power
>making arguments this petty
Why are Euros such bitches? No wonder your women are fucking Jamal and Abdul.

Yeah, just get you a s10 or a blazer man. 4.3 get okay mileage and your boat doesnt weigh dick. I guess youd need the truck for bikes and they are pretty handy.

>implying national debt
It's merely the sum of outstanding individual car payments.

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/06/car-loans-now-top-1-trillion-delinquency-rates-rise/89911210/

18 ft jon boat you can tow with a car.

Wheeler and bike you can tow with a car.

Now with the truck you can take all three. Or use ramps or beach launches you might not try in your car. You need to reg insure and maintain the truck. Way the pros and cons. Worst case is you can sell truck for damn near what you got into it next year.

Tldr: if you think you need a truck get a truck i recommend chevy s-10 or 1500, 2 or 4 wheel, 6 or 8 cyl all depends on your needs.

Nice try samefag - you already got your ass fucked enough in this thread. Op ain't towing his 18ft Jon boat and 4wheeler with his 4cyl fusion.
No Euro autism allowed

Redpill on trucks?
Budget or diesel pick 1
Always get a 4x4 (at very least a rear locker and good all terrian tires)
Always get a manual
Always replace parts with quality replacements
Np205s or fuck off
Ford 300 I6s are god tier but slow
Wing windows are bast windows
Fuck tacotax, get a hardbody instead
Bench seats or fuck off
Cucv trucks are winner champions
Fuck 93 and up s10s (spider injection)
Fuck 2.5L dakotas (slow and gutless)
1500s are built better and more durable than midsize trucks
Spend the money on a quality battery

Northstar Battery erryday

OP a truck is a great idea if you're hauling shit regularly. If you're towing a boat you'll probably want 4wd. It helps tremendously when getting back up the ramp. Some ramps around here are very slick and 2wd vehicles can't get back up so Chad in his 4wd has to save the cuck who thought he could launch at the ramp which has signs warning launching with a 2wd vehicle.

anyone help me find a big boy truck with a quad cab under 5k in seattlr? D:

Op here,
Ended up buying the truck I posted the CL ad for further up the 96 GMC 1500 4x4, just got home with it about 15 mins ago.
Everything looked good on it. Runs and drives great. Got it for $1600 cause he forgot to tell me passenger window motor is bad.
otherwise pretty happy with it.