Were Crown Vics the best police cars ever built?

Why did they fucking downgrade?

The only reason people say that they're good is because they spent a long time serving the police

The best police car was the Chevrolet Caprice, which the police loved so much that they tried to keep them all in running condition for as long as possible

Because it was a 30 year old chasis and Ford discontinued production. Also both the new caprice and the new charger turned and stopped better than these boats by the time they retired. And they both burned less fuel which is huge for fleet purchasers, which most LEA's are.

TLDR it was old and busted

>The best police car was the Chevrolet Caprice
what was so good about them?

My father has been an LEO for 20+ years, he and I have always been a huge fan of the Crown Vics, they ride good, have a ton of storage, and are decently powerful given the size and relatively small engine. However, Chargers are way more powerful. They are a lot better suited for pursuits. A stock Charger out performs a police interceptor package Crown Vic any day. They have a ton of problems with the transmissions in the Chargers though, they don't seem to hold up as long as the fords, so it kinda makes you question of they are worth it

They were had a lot of room in them and the Chevy 350 made a lot more power than the Ford 4.6 at the time. They also had slightly better handling. My father's department has one they keep in service just for old times sake

imo, both were the best police cars.

>two lines of text
>TL;DR

are you just desperate to look like a cool memer or do you genuinely think most people's attention spans are that short

Best police car coming through.

>Michigan State Police tests had the Chevrolet Caprice beating its competition from Ford, Dodge, and Plymouth in almost every category. The Caprice had the quickest quarter-mile times and 0–100 mph times, the highest top speed, the fastest road course time, and the best fuel economy, though the Plymouth and Dodge had shorter braking distances.[14] The 1987 Chevrolet Caprice won the contract for the Michigan State police and would hold this contract until 1996 when the Caprice was discontinued.[16]

>1990 was another carry-over year for the 9C1 Caprice with the only major change being door mounted seatbelts.[18] In Michigan State Police tests, the only competition was from the Ford LTD Crown Victoria, as production of the Dodge Diplomat and Plymouth Gran Fury had ended during 1989. The Caprice won all six categories for 1990, having the quickest 0–100 times, the fastest road course times, the best brakes, highest top speed, the best fuel economy and the best interior ergonomics. This was the first time any car had won all six categories in Michigan State Police tests.[14]

The Crown Vic only became the better police car because they literally stopped making the Caprice for a decade.

If the crown vic was a military vehicle they would have spent millions of dollars life extension and upgrades.

Well, when LEOs slam from drive to reverse dozens of times a day without coming to a complete stop, the NAG1 starts to have problems. Objectively, that transmission is leagues ahead of both the CV's and the Caprice's, offering extreme superiority in response time to heavy acceleration as well as being much more efficient during patrols.

Just as well, the 3rd Gen Hemi requires less maintenance in the short term, whereas the CV was known for power loss over time and the Caprice leaked like a sieve after only 50k miles.

The Charger is the better car in every single way and only morons support the other two over it. The long standing argument by LEOs is that the Caprice was faster and that it "felt better" which are both irrelevant in a post-hot pursuit doctrine. The Charger is superior for long term, high speed driving anyways, averaging way better gas mileage due to VVT.

Caprice 9C1 was far more faster than the 4.6L Crown Vic. Interior was a bit nicer too, but that's the only thing caprices had really. Crown Vics were proven to be far more reliable and durable when they were beaten on. Caprices had too many engine problems and suspension problems to be worth to constantly repair.

Literally can't compete with an Alabama Highway Patrol car from 1971.

As a Yuropoor, seeing this car instantly hypes me up for some hectic car chases because of all those good old burger action movies having them.

We all know that feel.

*Confiscates your vape*

Mrcummy has really fallen off the deep end

wait, he actually crashed off a cliff this time?

*vapes your confiscating process*

>driving a warning vest

>The best police car was the Chevrolet Caprice
Or Holden Caprice? Apparently not popular in american cities like baltimore.

I unironically was going to buy a crown vic for the express purpose of offroading. God that would have been rad af and stupid af if I did.

I know they're more utilitarian and useful, they just look like shit.

quite honestly I don't blame him for thinking the average poster's attention span is that short nowadays

The P-71 interceptor was an OKSY car, but the SOHC modulars were kinda shitty compared to the DOHC modulars found in the Lincoln mark 8's, and the trans in the p-71 were a little shitty too

>OKSY car
wut

Oklahoma Shipyard. It's the largest Navy base in the state.

Actual American police cruisers do have a livery, though, it's just black and white usually. The one in the pic is unmarked because it's used by detectives or higher ranking officers who don't patrol but might need to respond to an incident with sirens, etc.

There are plenty of cop cars now that will be like black with grey lettering.

Muh tin-foil hat.

Cops in my area have AWD Ford Fusions... And they love them.

I used to drive a tow truck, I talked a bunch with cops about their cars... Never heard one say they liked the Crown Vic more. Only downgrade is the room in the front seat, but that's also because they have more equipment in the Fusions.

It's funny

I see this and I don't get the same asshole tightening reaction I get when I see a P71 crown vic or the new shit they are driving.

Back from the days when cops gave you a fair shake

In phoenix they use completely unmarked cars. I have seen people pulled over by F150s, Chargers, Challengers, Aveos, Explorers and Fusions, all with nothing but stealth red and blue lights.

This user's right. Both the B-bodies and Panther bodies were loved for the same reasons- body on frame construction, loads of interior space, a tried and tested drivetrain and a manufacturer police package. The B-bodies are often cited as a bit better due to the power increase of the LT1 compared to the 4.6, but GM canned the car so everyone had to move over to Crown Vic P71s eventually despite trying to keep the Caprice 9C1s running as long as they could. Now we're seeing the same thing happen again- departments doing their best to keep their CVs in service since Ford discontinued the platform and the speed and power increase in the new Taurus (Police Interceptor Sedan), Chargers, Caprice PPV, etc. just isn't enough to make up for the lack of interior space and ease of repair in minor collisions. Space is a big reason so many areas are going entirely with Tahoes and Explorers instead of sedans- all the new police sedans are so damn cramped on the inside.

what is going on here and why does it make me HARD?

Pretty sure this is the most popular in the UK for the last 20 years, they have a hardon for tuned volvos.

>manufacturers think they know better than police

>confused as to why police aren't buying new models

>cycle repeats over and over

wtf

That's fucking bullshit. Cops are a force that are supposed to be seen plainly.

Goddamn military spy wannabees.

The UK police stockpiled Rover sd1 v8's for years after production stopped.

No.

The Panthers never got the 3 or 4 valve 4.6 (other than the Marauder) because the power increase wasn't worth the reliability decrease and complexity increase for a car that was more or less just meant for Point A to Point B at highway speed and to hell with anything between your destination and your 4,100lbs of pig-iron and sheet metal.

>the trans in the p-71 were a little shitty too
It's the same 4R70W as a normal Crown Vic, just electronically returned for faster, harder shifts instead of the usual "it'll shift when it wants" all the AOD-E descendants have. The real question is why the J-mod is pretty much a necessary procedure if you want your Panther tranny to last forever and why they intentionally fucked it up from the factory.

Probably just because you're used to Crown Vics as police cars and older cruisers have that sense of 'semi-nostalgia for a time you didn't get to experience' that you also get looking at photos of old parking lots and highways. Ask your parents or the oldest car guy you know what their first thought was upon seeing a square-jawed and dome-lit Dodge Diplomat in their rearview, and it's probably something along the lines of, "Oh fuck, that's a statie about to give me a really bad day."

Depends, I drove up to Scotland after I bought my r34, got pulled over by an unmarked Alfa 159 GTA with a huge rear wing, they apparently catch far more this way, my plates pinged their ANPR for no insurance, had proof and they waved me on.

Fully sikk BT1 bro

>Cops are a force that are supposed to be seen plainly.
Welcome to the 21st century, the world does not work this way anymore. You are trying to apply morals to a situation that has none.

Cops are enforcers for the state mafia, they operate in whatever way is most effective to meeting the state's needs.

Nothing will come close

Holy FUCK that looks SUPREME

I like the new chargers, they're everywhere in Florida. They're kinda intimidating tho

>y-yes officer you m-may breed my tail h-h-hole

Are you Americans even TRYING?

At least it is kinda modest

I really hope a box truck loses a tire and t-bones you at 40 MPH

The panther is the poorman b-body.

gotta love the irony of that bumper, like they never hoon in them, those cars are cranking out like 500kw.

>the wolf engraving on the vape tank
lol never noticed that before but holy kek

The Panther is the B-body for people who don't want to deal with Optispark and an extra 10 years worth of rust and decay.

Where did you read into what I said and get the idea that I approve of what is going on? Or are you just pissed at me for accurately describing how shit works now?

aka poorfags who cant maintain their cars.

>poorfags for buying a newer and more expensive shitbox
[confused celica.jpg]

>panthers
>more expansive than b-bodies

There's the worst police car right there.

>b-bodies
>still existing anywhere at all outside of scrapyards and that one wood-sided roadmaster wagon that's always parked outside burger king

Expensive, not expansive. B-bodies are one of the few semi-modern cars that are actually more expansive than a Panther.

>implying european police forces don't use unmarked cars to blend in

Fuck off europoor.

how is a caprice a downgrade?

Very cramped. Other cars outprofrom it. It's just not that good. Plus it's just a rebadged Holden. Since gm like being jews

>proform

>Very cramped
are you a LEO

>Other cars out perform it
please post this magical being..

Also, it's unibody.

>are you a LEO
No, but the thread is literally about police departments, and the most common complaint about cars that aren't Crown Vics is the interior doesn't have enough space for two officers and a dashboard and center console full of computers and equipment.

sounds like they need to stay in shape after training.

my local PD. look at the left sedan and tell me that the lettering/appearance of vehicle is not total horseshit for a "marked" police car.

it's a wobbly noodle compared to the Vic

is that the same car in the pic with the dude stepping on his hood, but with a cloth?

I've been in a new Taurus interceptor and that shit is garbage compared to a P71

It's not a matter of officer size, but equipment size. Especially the mounting areas for the laptop and radio and shit- one of the biggest advantages the P71 Crown Vics have is that it combines the flat dashboard and no center console of a bench-seat equipped Crown Vic with the bucket seats that normally include a center console, meaning you've got two seats with a big gap between them to mount shit and then even MORE space on and under the dashboard because it doesn't have the raised floor shifter and surrounding plastic crap, there's literally nothing there but a fold-away cupholder on the bottom of the HVAC controls and a transmission tunnel.

Of course, the car being six and a half feet wide, most of that interior space as it lacks the foot-thick doors cars have to have now, also helps free up some room.

Yeah.

Goddammit oceanside. I thought you guys were cool.

they are, hence the photo exists

Oh wait wrong city. Lmao get cucked ocean city.

Guys in america I have a question.

Is it true that american PD will always use American cars?

In branding not manufacturing location.

nyc has prius camry and altima. think the latter 2 are also hybrids to replalce older fwd impalas

outside nyc i never see any imports and the fwd impalas and taurus are usually unmarked or non partol units. most towns still roll with crown vics, chargers, taurus awd, tahoe and explorers. highway does have marked and unmarked "ghost" caprice

How can those cucked cars they even compete with the Portuguese Police force?
pic related: Audi R8 used for drug trafficking operations and highway patrol

>VAG
lmfao

Kek

aw :c

Pretty much always, it's mainly for maintenance reasons since parts are generally cheaper

>Cops are enforcers for the state mafia, they operate in whatever way is most effective to meeting the state's needs.
You again with the Working is slavery or Cops are enforcers for the state mafia.

*Sabotage blasts from the radio*

Caprice

The police loved them so much that they tried to keep them in patrol units while they were being replaced. Sadly, they died off because the Tahoe took their place at the Arlington factory

The were the fastest police car of the era and well into today's standards.
>dead reliable
>faster than Vics
>more spacious

With that being said, the current crown was pretty good but will never live up to the caprice.

>would "search"/10

Not a fan of Sigelei.

>fca
>requires less maintenance
nice try shill

>roof cucks

Some countries in europe have disguised patrol cars, usually monitoring speeds.
And let's not talk about intelligence services; when four well dressed guys getting out of a Citroen C5, you know the situation has gone FUBAR.

you might want to look again at the Ferrari

beats having four well dressed guys getting out of a green Ford Falcon in the 70s tbqh

When did cars stop looking good in green?

>Is it true that american PD will always use American cars?
No. Police in Hawai'i were using Toyota 4runners.