Hey bro you need to give me 50% of your grain and I'll protect you god said you have to do this I'll just sit in my...

>hey bro you need to give me 50% of your grain and I'll protect you god said you have to do this I'll just sit in my castle and do nothing
>hey bro we're being attacked I need you to fight for me god said you have to do this I'll sit in my castle and do nothing
why did people tolerate feudalism for so long? was everyone just a lot dumber back then?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>they have castles and swords
>you don't

Gee, I wonder.

>be dumb peasant
>literally raised and taught only farming and obedience
>never get educated
>never learn your being bullshitted and pretty much a slave
>live your whole life thinking and believing this

Education is pretty important

Feudalism makes perfect sense actually. The King owns the land that you farm, he's just letting you use it for a fee (rent). The King owns the land because he can send his goons to kill anyone who says otherwise. Anyone who starts achieving any amount of power relative to the king recieves an offer of becoming the kings vassal. If he accepts he recieves a fief like a town or a village (he doesn't own his fief, he just gets the right to take their rents, the king can take it back if he wants). If he declines the offer of vassalage the king sends his goons to kill him. Anyone may at any point in time attempt to kill the King but attempting this is not a good idea because the king has many strong vassals and many angry goons under his command. And so your options are either: 1: Farm the land and pay rents. 2: Become a famed warlord and become the kings vassal. 3: Be killed by the king's goons. I learned most of this from playing Mount&Blade.

That's literally Anarcho-Capitalism TM.

you act like it's any different today

Yes, i know. That's really funny / interesting actually. Feudalism is not actually a system, it's rather "lawlessness", or a lack of any system. A system arises out of the lack of a system. Order from chaos.

>I learned most of this from playing Mount&Blade.

I was about to say, it sounded way too much like M&B's system

I don't know if it's 100% historically accurate but I still believe it

M&B is modelled on 13th century feudalism in Europe. So it's pretty accurate.

Most serfs never fought anything.

There was literally nothing wrong with Feudalism or being a Christian for that matter :)

Because feudalism is extremely stable, surprisingly flexible, and is optimized for protecting people from localized threats. From the fall of Rome straight into the modern era, localized threats were all the world was about.

Why do you think that "lawless" areas allways fall into feudalism or moder forms of pseudo-feudalism, without fail, even today? Because its the natural sociological reaction to localized threats and also why warlords allways happen.

(And also the reason why any form of anarchism, ancap abomination or the original, would never work. History simply proves us otherwise)

Relevant:

youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY

you haven't described feudalism at all

>why did people tolerate feudalism for so long?
they didn't, rebellions were common throughout the medieval era

I think you misunderstand manoralism

If you haven't noticed humans, at least a some portion of them, have a servile streak. Some people naturally look up to "leaders" and try to justify them having a greater standard of living and their own abusive service to the "leaders" as right and caring. Some people are just naturally battered wives looking for a thug to treat them the way destiny is pulling.

I mean, look at how Capitalism is still around and how people desperately apologize for the rich and wealth inequality. These are just the peasants of the past in new clothing. What motivates them? imo a sense of stability and justice in the world by pretending abuse isn't abuse. And, ironically, a sense of community and empathy that prevents people from naturally just walking up to peer member of their community and crushing his head with a rock - even if they have a serious grudge.

The trick of leaders is keeping people divided, poorly educated, confused and making sure the natural sycophants are seeded properly across communities while given places of power and influence.

Completely wrong.
First, it is impossible for one to ascend socially. You are born a servant, you die a servant. All you get is a massive amount of taxes, slave-tier work, so a lazy fuck can sit all day long and do nothing.

>it is impossible for one to ascend socially. You are born a servant, you die a servant.

What about those who did ascend?

You can ascend. Just pick up a sword and fight. Bandits were all around but most of them never rose to power. Some of them did, and a few of them became kings. The King is simply the most powerful bandit leader of the land.

Feudalism worked to a certain extent. The lord was motivated to watch out for the peasants, because he didn't want to till the fields himself.
If he didn't watch out for them then they would either revolt or just die.
It wasn't a great system, but it was workable.

A servant? Ascending? Are you sure, mate? A poor noble at minimum.

Peasants weren't sent to war as much as you believe. Populations were small, you couldn't just let all your good farmers die in some stupid battle. If you couldn't farm the land, your land was worthless. Sometimes that shit-caked peasant was worth more in the field with a scythe in his hand than on a battlefield with a spear.

Like...?

serfs ended up as yeoman, yeomans as gentry and gentry as knights.

People make money, get their kids ahead. That kind of stuff.

No. They couldn't end up yeomans.

>make money
To spend on what?
>get their kids ahead
Where would they go?

Buying extra land or getting him and education. Get uncle to teach him how to become a weaver or carpenter.

user is wrong. They couldn't fucking make money.
user, are you dumb or what?

You couldn't buy land until Capitalism...what are you doing here, little user?

You could not buy property in the modern legal sense no.

To be honest all British/commonwealth people are still tenants and not technically owners of the land they live on.

>land
Can't, lord doesn't wanna rent you it. He also doesn't accept cash as payment.
>education
From where? Also don't have freedom of movement
>Uncle
He's a farmer too.
I know that, I enjoy talking to retards tho

Hol' up

What are you even trying to achieve with this shitpost?

You're fun.

Actually you could get away if you got permission and paid a small fine to your landlord.

Villages had a surplus population and could not magically make land grow, second and third sons could not simply carve up every farm until five thousand farmers each occupy a single square meter of ground.

On the other end of the scale cities had a negative birthrate and needed a constant fresh influx of rural workers to keep the population up, these people had to come from somewhere.They didn't import paki's back then.

>why did people tolerate feudalism for so long?

They didn't have much choice. Lord Albrecht owns the land and he only allows you to farm it on the condition that he gets half of what you produce. If you don't like you, then you have to go get your own land to farm.

>was everyone just a lot dumber back then?

In a sense, yes. There were no computers, very few books, and there was definitely no public education.

>tfw people today are accepting industrial feudalism
OP we are just as stupid now :(

Who is this supposed to represent?

Zizek, probably.

not really
now we're just conformists

judging by the *sniff* it's undoubtedly Zizek, slovenian """""intellectual"""""

slavoj zizek, well known meme philosopher

Actually I wasn't aware of that, interesting. More sources?
I'm bored
That's not freedom of movement. Even if you manage to accumulate the sum, it's still completely dependent on the whims of the local lord.

The sum was quite often some trivial bullshit like five chickens or cash equivalent.

Now don't ask me what the legal standing of such an agreement was but if it was written down and binding you could enforce it against a lord.

Oh ps, some Lords didn't bother to enforce it after the Black Death. You end up with an old farmer selling all his land to some other farmers while both his sons moved to a city where they were blacksmiths.

I swear to god he is a huge coke head, thats why he sniffs. My friends knows his dealer.

I dont think the legal system was quite as effective as you think.

If the king wanted the contract broken, then so did god, and the contract would be broken.

Pretty sure you would be thrown in a dungeon without fair trial if you tried to hold the king accountable.

What contracts would the King like to break? I mean if Obama wants to lock up some random fucker he can put him in a CIA blacksite, but how often does that happen?

Lowly servants of a king were relatively more mobile than others. I read about cooks and jesters being granted freeholds for their service.