So Veeky Forums

So Veeky Forums

I'm a medic and I'm normally a /k/ommando so sorry if this is a meme or something.

I'm looking at a Subaru Baja. It's got 102k miles and he's asking 10,900. only had one owner and looks like it's in good shape. I don't wanna spend more than 8k but if be willing to do 9. Its a turbo AWDoff that means anything

Please help Veeky Forums

OP here

I have only heard good things about them but idk if I'm not looking at the right places.

Anyone have experience with these things?

What year is it?

It's a Subaru. Should be reliable forever, just make sure to get regular maintenance done. They're usually not as good on fuel economy as other Japanese competitors, but then Honda doesn't make an awd, turbo el camino.

Nvm I see it's 06
That price is a bit high
I'd offer 8 and let him talk you up to 9

Except the Subaru is better than a shitty GM push cuck elcamino in every way

That's just some picture I found, the one I'm looking at is a black 2005

Well same difference
8-9k

is it a turbo with a manual? if so the price isn't that unreasonable. if it's na and auto it's worthless and you should get something else.

It is an auto, is it that much of a difference?

the manual is better but there are less than 10 for sale nationwide. the whole thing isn't reliable and/or cheap to run with the head gaskets that like the fail and a timing belt change.

But could I reliably get 200k out of it?

Subarus of this generation eat head gaskets. If they haven't been done they'll need to. Big job, engine has to come out of the car.

depends if those parts have been changed.

If it's a 2.5na, absolutely. This isn't.

Engine does not have to come out for head gaskets.

It will be easier to do with the motor out, and by the time you stripped the rest of the stuff out of the way, it's literally only a few bolts to pull the motor out.

If I were to buy a good condition Baja, I would be swapping in an EJ20, the head gaskets last a lot longer, and they're a lot more fun to drive.

Ok so worst case these need to be replaced. I won't be doing that myself so how much would such a thing cost?

The engines are shitty and small. You don't want a turbo. AWD is nice if you live near snow

What the hell is wrong EJ255's. They out down about 250hp and 250 ft-lbs. And are not maintenence nightmares like their NA cousins.

It isn't 1986 anymore, dude. Turbo cars are fine.

probably 1500+

Owned one

>Burned oil, look up the piston ring problem EJ255 and EJ257 motors have, fuck
>Start trying to sell it a couple days after I bought it
>Turbo gernades, get that replaced
>Handles like shit compared to my legacy, too high up and rear likes to slide.
>Comfy for long trips

Fuck that's more than I was anticipating

You'll know if the head gasket needs replacing, check under the oil cap for white residue, look for constant white smoke when idling. Also it will drink through coolant. If you see any of these problems, don't buy it. Make sure you take it for a test drive and put it through its paces a little. Also, ask him if he's had the timing belt replaced.

This is all very helpful! I'll keep my eyes open. Thank you /k/omrade