freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/cesque
discord.gg/9P8GNW5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can do it

There's no such thing as "skateboarding games".

There's only Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater clones that tried to cash in on the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater hype.

>year 1978
>has 55 enemies on screen at once
>destructible environment
meanwhile
>2017
>"2D pixel game" stutters on few enemies and static terrain
what did they(you) by this?

Anime is the best material for inspiration

Skate was bigger than Tony Hawk for a while.

Especially Skate 3. (for all the wrong reasons)

What's a good dev inspiration anime?

>it's fucking broken
>looks like shit
>awkward to use
>not substantial to the gameplay
Yep, it's a new feature

Making your own notes on paper is infinitely more flexible than having an in-game journal or notepad.

>there's people dumb enough ITT to believe there are paid shills for godot
>paid shills
>paid shills for a FREE engine that has NO WAY of cashing from it's users WHATSOEVER
>paid shills for an engine that was made by a bunch of Argentinian poorfags

This is actually a pretty funny comparison when you think about it.

Space Invaders required the dev to make his own hardware since nothing supported what he had in mind at the time, but even his own hardware ran like shit and the speedup that happens when there are less enemies in the screen is actually a bug.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

What happens if the robot goes off the edge of the square?

you should really work on fire and explosion particle effect, you use that a lot and it looks like plastic shit

explain neural networks to me

Nichijou.

Only if you're ingame notepad is poorly done

He falls down if running, flies away if jumping from his idle state.

By main goat do you mean the player character, or do you mean Pukey, the goat that's used for the tiling background and game icon?

Drawing with a pointing device is much worse than pen and paper, unless you're using a drawing tablet or something

No one is going to write down shit if you don't encourage them with in-game ways to do it.

What other engines exist besides the ones in the OP in which an independent developer could release something with out being fuccked in the ass by their license?

No it's not. Mouse > Tablet > Paper
I just wish my mouse had pressure sensivity fort art, but for taking notes that doesn't matter.

Stella no Mahou

kek
I meant the main character

post your Demo day characters art to this post

Maybe for you, but I can't draw with a mouse at all. For me paper > tablet >> mouse.

>making your player's lives harder because you are too lazy to add a simple notepad
Next you're telling me to edit a text file to change the controls.

Why does the player need to write things down? If it's something like taking a picture of the environment, or remembering a code, or anything like that, provide an ingame way to store the relevant info. Especially if there are only N pieces of information, you can even give the player a hint about how many they have found.

But a game like e.g. the witness, you need to write things down to puzzle out the solution, and you can't provide a consistent interface for that without spoiling part of the puzzle.

>main player character

>Webm
geforce.com/geforce-experience/share
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
github.com/thetarkus/WebMCam

Cryengine exists, no one uses it.

It's gotten a lot better since 3 years ago but I think they alienated their audience so much that nobody will touch it.

Different people prefer different methods of organizing and visualizing data. If you include a method for doing it in your game, you alienate all the players for whom it doesn't work well.

I tried it out once, but the lack of tutorial is just too damn hard to get through. It's a shame, because I feel like it's probably fucking amazing when you get into it.

It's nice to use pen and paper to take a break from a computer interface. Your brain uses different circuits for physical pen and paper.

A nice split is to use pen and paper for planning, and a computer for implementing. Even better if you sit in a different place while you're planning.

Less worrying about the license and more making games.

None of the OP engines fuck you in the ass. You just think so because you've never actually finished a game.

My game tries to detect whether the player is diligently finishing all their quests or just randomly fucking around, so that players who fuck around will get different roleplay options from players who try to be responsible.

Because mini-maps are shit and im tired of seeing them.
Or a puzzle thats too complicated to keep in your head.

I used it a fair amount just making levels and shit. It's fun for that and there are some very specific things it does very well, but I don't think it's anywhere near worth using over UE4.

Tried it back when it was v3, made a nature environment but they broke the lighting with a 3.5 update, haven't touched it since. Also, bad documentation and virtually no community, so if you want to use it for anything other than a generic FPS, you are out of luck.

If you really want to fuck yourself try to salvage released source code from games. Hardmode: It's a mmorpg (i.e. ryzom)

It's kinda interesting seing how they coded but also very hard to go through.

If I wanted to use pen and paper I would be playing tabletops

That's right my fellow dev!
Unity takes care of everything for you, don't worry about it.

And not including any will alienate everyone who doesn't give enough of a fuck about your little whogame to whip out a pen and paper.
Hint: that's most of the players.

shamelessly posting my soundcloud again for criticism and opinions

soundcloud.com/cesque

what types of music should i write next? i always feel like writing stuff but i'm never really sure what and i don't have a game to compose music for so i gotta come up with something completely randomly

It's the other way around champ, by adding an in-game method you give players more options and won't alienate the ones that don't have pens and papers around.

This is /agdg/, every game here is a "little whogame".

The worst thing we could do is to churn out the same old stuff that every other game studio and indie developer does.

>not making his own hardware
enginedev sure are pretentious fucks

wow is this a jew meme
wtf i hate unity now

snake jumping is a little awkward but it at least works now

The concept art for the main character sadly didn't get far off the ground before the old artist had to leave, so no art, concept art or otherwise, of them actually exists of her from the front. The closest thing that I have that got made for them is her player health portrait I posted last thread. The current sprite set, aside from the player portraits, were quick images designed to be temporary things to use until we had the design finalized and ready to dedicate more time into making more detailed sprites.

...part of me also feels obliged to note that their race takes more of an inspiration from hyenas than goats. They just both happen to have horns and goaty ears in this case. The player character and the DD14 opponent aren't the same race. The PC race are closer to being gnolls with horns than they are goats.

Pic related is an icon of a female of the species that the player character is that I used in a tabletop back before their design was iterated into what it is now. It's probably the closest I can get as to concept art of a character of the PC's sex and species. Sorry I don't have anything more substantial.

There's a perceptual issue.

>game suggests that you make notes on paper
>level playing field, no player feels excluded

>game provides in-game notes interface
>some players like it
>others struggle with it, but feel like they have to use it
>possibly get too frustrated by it and stop playing

>His snakes aren't physically simulated spline-based procedural meshes.

Are you even trying?
Nice snakes user, where are you going with this?

>game suggests that you make notes on paper
>it doesn't provide any way to write down stuff in-game
>most players get too frustrated by it and stop playing

You are seriously out of touch if you think an in-game notepad will somehow frustrate more people than not having a notepad would.

Here's your /agdg/ VG league post for today. Gonna go lowkey on this one so people can PLAY. THOSE. DEMOS.

I've created a discord to pile up any ideas / models anyone interested in this effort produces. It's not there to be a circlejerk, just to have a nice centralized dumping ground for ideas and heads as well as put up some generic FAQ stuff.

discord.gg/9P8GNW5

Don't feel pressured for time we still have weeks here. A friendly reminder that premade heads are absolutely fine to submit. If you know of some modeled heads steeped in agdg "culture" by all means host em somewhere and put em in the submissions folder.

Please use the word "4cc" in your post when talking about this so people who don't care about virtual divegrass can ignore it. If your more broadly interested in the concept I also suggest you to check out the 4ccg thread right here on Veeky Forums!

Consider maybe doing packs with a theme. Say select a setting like djungle and then different tracks for different moods. i.e. combat, relaxed, scary, time attack... whole point of game music is after all to help set the mood of the situation and having different styles for a change of pace in one setting seems more usefull than only one type for different settings.

Whats your game about user? I like robots.

>You are seriously out of touch
Perhaps, I tend to play games from the 80s and early 90s.

Another benefit of pen and paper: it adds more "screen space", you can have the game open at the same time as your notepad.

is risk of rain 2 using unity?

Adding an in-game notepad won't stop anyone from being able to use pen and paper, what the fuck guys.

Zelda 2 and Terranigma's baby in 3d

What keyboard shortcuts should the in-game notepad have? Should it be like vim? Should it support plugins or configuration files?

yes

I'm not telling you to make a text editor, just a simple lore-friendly virtual piece of paper that lets you draw stuff and maybe some text boxes to type down simple text.

Wait, I don't remember implementing this
Did I have dementia all this time?

Explosions are placeholders from metal slug. Now that I'm dropping pixel art I should have easier time replacing them, and it might come with a cool glow.
Fixing fire will be pretty hard. I'm going to need some frame-by-frame animations on top of better particle movement. Maybe I can do some processing with noise map.

>I'm not telling you to make a text editor, just a simple lore-friendly virtual piece of paper that lets you draw stuff and maybe some text boxes to type down simple text.
I wanted to make a game, not an image editor.

It's a 3d platformer with robots and basic story to tie the levels together. Gameplay will be similar to late 1990s - early 2000s platformers, like Bugdom, Shrek 2, Simpsons Hit and Run, Crash Bandicoot. Right now I'm just remaking the run/jump system since people pointed out it was one of the biggest problems (DD14 submission).

someone give me the run down on animation. is it hard? got some blender hands and I need to do some basic animations for the guns reloading, switching, shooting, etc. and also just general things like grabbing.

apparently multiplayer turns people from "it's another pixel shit game" to sucking the dev's feminine penis, be sure to learn that

People without the necessary attention span to play single player games aren't my target audience.

fixed the weapon holstering.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: dung___
Dev: user
Tools: C#
Web:
Progress:
+ started working on a game
+ implemented loading levels from file
+ made a minimap
+ made some sort of raytracing thing to draw first person dungeon
- have no idea what I'm doing

It's more important that the motion/pose reads than it is realistic.

Don't worry about stretching or breaking some bones.

I mostly agree, the only downsides to an ingame editor are:
1. Intention. With no ingame editor, it's clear that you should be using pen and paper. Including an ingame editor will unitentionally influence how players see the problems, they'll be looking through the lens of what your editor allows. This isn't a big downside.
2. Opportunity cost. The dev has to spend time on making a text editor instead of making a good game.
3. A shitty editor is worse than no editor. Pretty self-explanatory.

And finally, if games can require a controller, or a VR headset, or a high-end PC, it's legitimate to require pen and paper. It's a peripheral.

>raytracing
Fuck I mean raycasting

retard here again. Made the array a static.
public static HealthItem[] itemsInInventory;

set the value in start
itemsInInventory = new HealthItem[5];

now when I collide nothing happens. even when I set the value in the inspector.

and my unity is Corrupted again

did they launch a new version recently?

ok i'll probably use pukey or the enemy then.

>tfw you were cloning a popular agdg game and it's getting a sequel
should i give up?

I am confused as to what this game is

holy shit, nevermind. I didn't even see your character there balancing on the pole. I thought it was a rooster weather vane

ROR in 2d is a different beast than ROR in 3d. There still may be a niche for you.

stop cloning games less than 10 years old ya dummy

>tfw someone actually finished my demo and even found the secret

Can you figure out what the lesson is here?

That it is his soul which has been corrupted, not his game?

Yeah, I bought the anti-corruption asset!

that my unity stops working everytime they launch a new version?

I was just going for
>Don't use Unity

>Bugdom
I am truly home

what engine?

How to be motivated(

Fairy Tail
no homo

No engine, that's windows command prompt

cool

who gonna stream the games

Did anyone who played happen to catch the writing on the side of the final structure before the last boss? I always worry people won't find stuff like that because it is probably the last thing on their minds

Is click to move ok for a 2d game

masturbate

it works for me, i jerk off and then the only thing that could stop me from deving is done