This is the ideal transmission for a car. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

This is the ideal transmission for a car. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Other urls found in this thread:

autoblog.com/2016/05/11/chevy-10-speed-automatic-faster-porsche-pdk/
motorauthority.com/news/1089778_gm-8-speed-in-corvette-z06-shifts-faster-than-porsche-pdk-heres-how
m.drive.com.au/motor-news/audi-shifts-away-from-dual-clutch-transmissions-20160616-gpkryu.html
bimmerboost.com/content.php?8173-Next-generation-2018-BMW-F90-M5-losing-DCT-gearbox-for-automatic-due-to-all-wheel-drive
youtu.be/2oO5kKTfcEQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That is not a DCT though.
It's a wannabe DCT but still a slushbox.
Also that shifter design is fucking ridiculous for a $80k car

1. It's a $70k car, not an $80k car. And it comes with a lot of standard features
2. DCTs are trash in traffic and this shifts just as fast as a DCT

Next

It is the ideal transmission for this car, but not for every car. Normal cars up to 300 hp are still better enjoyed as manual.

I had the pleasure of driving one yesterday. There wasn't a single flaw I could make out. But the single best thing about it is the exhaust sound it makes when shifting. That just can't be replicated with a manual.

>DCTs are trash in traffic
How so?

Is this, dare I say, Veeky Forumsur car?

Because they aren't smooth

Then how come the lap king is a Viper?

One in the 2017 a6 is smooth as shit, can't even tell the difference between it and a torque converter auto until it starts making wildly fast shifts when pushed.

>DCTs aren't smooth

Single-clutch automated manuals a-la Lambo E-gear and Ferraris early flappy paddle gearboxes weren't smooth. They also weren't DCTs.

Stop parroting shit from automotive reviews that are 15 years old.

Clutch will never be as smooth as a torque converter. Get over it.

?
Have you actually driven a modern DCT car? I highly doubt it

slower than bubba in a 6 speed camaro

Not that poster but,
Maybe an $80,000 is smooth but have you driven a $14,000 dollar brand new off the lot ford focus? Or one of the many other econo DCTs.

Perhaps ridden a DCT motorcycle?

They are all shit. DCT is a fad like CVT. It will go away or be a single brand thing.

?
Have you driven the ZF transmission Giulia?
Highly doubt it

I've driven a few VAG shitboxes with dual-clutch transmissions, they're very smooth. Apart from the first generation of their DCTs literally imploding, they seem like good transmissions. I just assumed that this $80k car would work as well. Maybe I was wrong.

I haven't driven a Ford DCT, are they that bad?

my current car is a DCT from VW, you're full of shit.

>I haven't driven a Ford DCT, are they that bad?
They were really bad, there was a class action lawsuit that Ford just settled

I own one. The only upside to the early ford DCTs, is that ford is bending over backwards to avoid a lemon law suite on all of them. To shut those of us up they are literally offering insane extended warranties. My $14,000 dollar focus is a turd but it gets 45mpg going on road trips and has a 150,000 mile drivetrain warranty on it since they've had to do so much work on it. New clutch at 15,000 miles, the actual module or computer at 25,000 miles.

At 55,000 miles I went in for a bad sensor that was technically out of warranty but they did it anyways for free. Also spent a few days chasing and fixing a dash rattle.

At this point the only redeeming quality is that I have essentially a free maintenance program on the car for the next 10 years to keep me from complaining.

I drove a GTR. The gearbox in the Giulia shifts just as fast and is much smoother around town.

Jesus christ, I can't even imagine what the law suit would have cost them if they're going to these extents to prevent it.

It sounds like you're in a pretty decent position all things considered, even taking the shitty DCT into account. I just hope your car doesn't give you much more trouble. Having it in the shop is still a pain in the ass even if it doesn't cost you as much as it normally would.

Good luck man.

Well it's not bad and when it has been bad they always give me an upgraded current year model loaner with no stipulations. It was nice to finally go to the dump in my borrowed brand new f150 and to go to a wedding in my borrowed new model loaded Taurus.

this, I had a fiesta that I actually gave my younger brother and it's now eligible for the settlement. Ferd already replaced the transmission 3x and extended the warranty.
Ford has a agreed to a settlement that if approved by the court (it'll almost certainly be approved in September) that will result in every Fiesta or Focus owner with the dual clutch being eligible for $1000-2500

If you collect can you still maintain that extended warranty they automatically put on the vehicle?

I love my focus but that's because I am cheap. I have nice bikes and guns and computers but I love econo-shit boxes. When they would give me new loaners everyone just assumed I finally just got a new car as it perplexed most people how I continued to drive it after all the issues and since I could afford a vehicle 5 times as much easily.

I love auto stuff, love browsing Veeky Forums and love DBT as I own "nice" bikes, but I have a soft spot for shit boxes and can't justify buying a nice car. Weird I know.

I'm the opposite. I spend a lot of money on my car and buy a piece of shit bike. Reason being is that I like to track my bikes and I don't wanna worry about laying it down.

I would track if I had a place nearby. Closest track is literally 3 hours on a trailer. It's not impossible just have not gotten around to doing it.

I own a Ducati 916 but I rarely ride it. Most of my bikes are more for putting around on mountain roads and touring, occasionally to Starbucks.

Isn't that the Hyundai warranty already?

Have a DCT with a torque converter and i still feel as if I'm getting rear ended sometimes. Fucking Acura

i dont have a dog in this fight, but audi switched up the models theyre putting the dct in. used to be the s4 got that and the a4 got the zf tip. now the a4 is getting the dct and the s4 is getting the tip. all audi's performance models run the zf 8 speed now, including the rs7. the dct has too many problems with big power, had shitty mechatronics units, and got lots of complaints.

personally ive never driven one. i have the 6 speed zf tip and it can be slushy on full throttle redline shifts. always thought a dct would be an upgrade until i found out they were relegating it to their low power models. the 335 guys put crazy power through their zf 6 speeds but they have tunes out for those. audis dont. theyve been used in the b8s now for almost 10 years so hopefully someday before i sell the thing someone will find a way to tighten it up a bit.

i remember tossing a b&m shift kit in my old th400. wish things were still that easy.

Literally no one is complaining about the DCT being uncomfortable on the M3/4.
The Giulias slushbox is not as fast or as sharp as the BMW transmission, kys

Slush boxes are faster than DCT and handle more torque
BTFO
autoblog.com/2016/05/11/chevy-10-speed-automatic-faster-porsche-pdk/
motorauthority.com/news/1089778_gm-8-speed-in-corvette-z06-shifts-faster-than-porsche-pdk-heres-how

Porsche PDK a shit
BMW dct is faster

Stay mad faggot
Even the krauts are dropping dct like a hot deuce becuase it's too light duty.
m.drive.com.au/motor-news/audi-shifts-away-from-dual-clutch-transmissions-20160616-gpkryu.html
bimmerboost.com/content.php?8173-Next-generation-2018-BMW-F90-M5-losing-DCT-gearbox-for-automatic-due-to-all-wheel-drive

audi is cheap shit and the M5 swithced to automatic thanks to the part time awd system.

>DCT
>with a torque converter

>DCT can't be awd

Audi uses the ZF 8HP on the more expensive models like the A8, which are the ones that sell more in the USA. Guess why.

Because in Europe everyone buy trash and vag lies, nobody learned a thing about how vag group deals with the scams and their customers (during the DSG7 scandal everyone was making lawsuits and class actions against the Germans BUT Europeans that were the only ones who ended up with nothing while the rest of the world - see China - got refunds and buyback campaigns like the during the dieselgate) so they just keep getting away with selling unreliable shit to their religious fanbase.

best ""performance"" =/= ideal transmission.

its about what you LIKE, ya dodo brain

Fuckin plebs.

The future is Lexus multistage with e-CVT + Slugbox

>peak performance
youtu.be/2oO5kKTfcEQ
Your "peak performance" Italian luxury sports sedan got btfo by a Ford hatchback with an old school manual.