We have all went through this at some point in our life

We have all went through this at some point in our life.
Tell me the story that made you stop buying used tyres

No we haven't.

I spend more money on tyres than any other automotive consumable combined.

I guess getting a job and finding tirerack.com.

I suppose the time it was called into doubt was when a torrential downpour occurred just as I was driving my newfound life to relocate 500mi away and my bald tires caused me to ram into a concrete divider. That would later cause the wheel to fall off on the highway (regretable) but not until another couple thousand miles later.

I always use $100 tires. You can get some pretty fucking great tires for $100.

> Huh, tires are expensive.
> USED TIRES CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP
> Look at my tires
> Look at the ones piled up in their yard
> Look at price of new tires
> Decide I'm not THAT poor

Only reason to buy pre-worn tires is to shred them with drifting.

They're also handy if you pop one and the donut is really only going to limp you to the nearest place where you can spend $30bux for something to get you all the way home.

>Believing that all used tires are dry rotted and cracked.

>not knowing what you are buying

unless you xray them you have no idea what you are buying

The vic will keep going either way.

>not looking at the tread
>not looking at the date code

Literally the only two things you need to know

>have the tyres been involved in a car crash?
>OH NO ABSOLUTELY NOT JUST LOOK AT HOW NICE THE TREAD IS AND DATE CODES THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

If they are in good condition then I couldn't care less whether they happened to be on a car that crashed into something else.

You are an absolute moron if you buy used tires.

Never happened.

Last set of tires I bought were a pair of winters that I ran through summer too because I'm so god damned cheap. Only paid $150 cad for the set of 225/45/17 and theyre going on 2 years now.

>I am the assistant manager/mechanic of an auto repair shop
>I can buy brand new tires for cost, which is usually about 30%-40% below retail
>no tire disposal fees

So, in the end, I can buy a set of NEW tires for roughly the same price that average Joe can buy a set of used tires...

You are corrsct, more or less... you should check the sidewall condition as well, but that isn't really feasible unless the tire is mounted on a wheel & inflated. We punch small holes in the sidewall of our junk tires at the shop. You can't see them until you mount the tire and see it leaking. (We have hoards of methheads stealing tires from our junk pile, and selling them to used tire stores) we are very particular when it comes to what we can sell as used tires, because if we sell one, and it blows and and kills somebody, our shop is liable...
So, if it has any dry rot, sidewall damage, torn beads, ect... it gets punched and sent to the junk pile..

With how cheap new Chinese tires are it just doesn't make sense to buy used tires.

I put on a pair of slicker tires that had about half of the tread left and were newer then the all seasons I had on all 4 wheels.

First time I hit a wet spot and had to hard brake, rears lost traction and locked up and my braking distance was increased like 30%

>Buying used tires

Right. If you're buying used tires from a methhead, then no shit they might be complete shit. But to dismiss buying Used tires completely like some of the morons on this thread is pretty silly. A used tire from a reputable shop is going to be perfectly safe. If you are still worried, you can do some research and learn to inspect the tire yourself.

>used tires

NEVER AGAIN!

>Chinese tires
That depends on the brands.