What are the benefits of a manual trasmission...

What are the benefits of a manual trasmission? I'm thinking about getting a new car and wondering if i should switch from automatic to manual.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4744218/South-Carolina-student-escapes-racially-motivated-rape.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7Xs5qeuUQCA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What are the benefits of a manual trasmission?
It's fun because you feel like a cartoon character, constantly pressing pedals and moving the stick like a retard.

t. americuck autotragic

Let's you have more control over your car and stay in your powerband longer, it's also fun.

It's nice if it's a fun car. You are actually in controll of the car and not getting cucked by a computer that is worse than you at driving.

I'm actually a Cucknadian from Toronto who dailies a manual. Checkmate, Hans.

approval from autists on the internet, and added complication to daily driving.

>complications
How mentally disabled do you have to be for a manual to be a complication. You literally dont even think about it when you're just driving.

Pretty much this. I drove a manual transmission for about a year and honestly hated it for a number of reasons:

1. Manual transmissions create a lot of tension. You feel like a racerboy constantly and end up wringing out every gear which makes riding unpleasant in general...especially in traffic. There is just this tension in the air caused by the ability to manually shift gears. hard to explain. doesn't exist with autos.

2. Hills are annoying. Some autists are going to come in and say "hurr durr its just second nature, it's not even that hard". No, listen up fuck face, when you're in stop and go traffic on a fucking hill, it becomes obvious real quick that manual transmissions are inconvenient as hell. there is a road here with about 5 red lights and the entire thing is slightly uphill so it gets annoying real quick.

3. Clutch wears out. Not that big of a deal honestly but you're looking at a $400-$600 job probably every 65-80k miles or so unless you can do it yourself. Also have to worry about the bullshit clutch cylinder and synchros and other transmission issues which accumulate from years of missed shifts or fucked up revmatches or whatever the fuck else.

4. gotta do extra bullshit procedures like put your car in gear and engage the e-brake anytime you park. in an auto, you just throw it in P and you're done.

give me a manual with auto revmatching on the downshifts, hill start assist, and then a $2k-$3k discount over the auto version, and then I'd consider it. Until then, manual transmissions are just memes reserved for europoors who can't afford automatics

This entire post is so

>He can't revmatch
>He thinks hillstarts are hard
>It gives him "tension"
>He even considers letting mechanics work on his car
It's probably good you don't drive manual. With how retarded you are you'd probably be a danger on the road.

Slightly uphill is no problem for me but in some areas of the city, the grading is so steep that it does become somewhat of a problem. I can still take off from a steep hill but it takes a couple of seconds to release the clutch as far as it will go without stalling and even then, on a very steep hill you might still start to roll back unless you give gas the very second you release the brake. Of course it's not that big of a deal but if traffic is crawling and your car doesn't have a powerful engine (think Honda civic or some other commuter car), it's going to be really scary when your car feels like it's about to stall because you can't give it enough gas (again, because traffic is moving, but moving VERY VERY slowly) and the engine is lugging even in first gear.

> adjusting stereo or using bluetooth without horrendous steering wheel or voice commands
> drinking from your 100oz McDonalds cup and eating your BIG ASS FRIES
> holding your qt 3.14's hand
> Multitasking of any sort while not at a set speed or complete stop
> Constantly fucking with clutch and shifter in traffic, literally doing manual labor like a peasant
> Car is literally no more capable than an automatic, and your ability can even make it less efficient
> General inconvenience

American here
Stop slandering our good name with your bait

you get to make the same threads all day long, cant do that with an auto

dont buy a manual just because some jerkoff on Veeky Forums says its fun. dont do anything just because some jerkoff on Veeky Forums told you its fun

>this post

More control over the engine and it's easier to work on, fo sure.

tfw autocucks will never know how this feels

>retarded third world slav soccer moms and teenagers can drive half operational manual shitboxes perfectly fine for decades
>americans get insanely triggered just by the word manual

Just how stupid can Amerifsts get?

It lets you decide whether you want more power or better fuel economy plus they're more durable and cheaper to maintain.

>65-80k miles
how bad are you at driving, fuck me

>benefits of a manual trasmission?
1. Fun
You can controll when you shift into what gear, no blocked downshifts and no unexpected shifts.
2. Price
Manual transmissions are not only cheaper to buy, they also require less maintainance
3. Efficiency
You can drive a manual gearbox car way more efficient than its EPA or even NEFZ rating.
4. Performance
Unless you buy a verry expensive dual clutch gearbox, the manual transmission will give you better performance.

>what are flappy pedals
>moving a stick is fun

being american is a helluva mental disability

>2. Price
>Manual transmissions are not only cheaper to buy, they also require less maintainance
>he hasnt owned a mercedes 5g auto

Autists actually believe they can change gears faster and better than a fucking computer. I like hooning on the rain in my shitbox MR2 as much as the next guy, but in city traffic with stop lights and TRAFFIC it gets old really fast.

Auto for daily, Manual for the weekend.

>flappy pedals
They usually donĀ“t allow all shift, like downshifts to redline.

>better gas mileage
>easier to fix generally,
>car is actually still usable if something breaks or the parking brake breaks or something
>more engaging and fun to drive
>people dont ask to borrow your car cause they are amerifats who dont know how to drive it.

If you can smoothly drive a manual transmission car or truck you can apparently trigger anxiety and inferiority complexes. Neat!

>extra work when driving

Thats literally it. Which is not really a benefit

AUTOTRAGIC FAGS ETERNALLY, IRREVERSIBLY BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

>more control
>more engaging
>satisfying and rhythmic when you're doing it right
>engine braking
>cheaper to buy and maintain
Unless you live in a dense urban area, manual every time.

also manual cars weight less

You will probably hate it at first and be indifferent within a month. It was exciting with my first manual shitbox, a scion xA, and pretty much felt natural by time i got my FiST. If you dont mind shifting all the time in cities then it wont bother you. Hill start assist is a god send even if you dont need it.

where are you driving?
what are you driving?
why are you driving?
how are you driving?

>where are you driving?
straight to hell
>what are you driving?
a riding mower
>why are you driving?
i lack the funds for airfare
>how are you driving?
stoned af

Fuck off.

Don't let the 13-25 year old demographic get to you as they communicate in memes and very narrow, autistic-level speech.

If you're an adult on the way to work as a professional, driving a stick is very annoying. It is best reserved for a weekend vehicle for getting out of the city anyway as not everyone is some part-time hourly wage retail clown that vents frustration by laying second gear scratches or otherwise driving recklessly while pushing the mechanic limits of nearly every part of movement in a car.

The rest of the fucktards on this lame imageboard are just children who play with toys and pretend to actually be relevant.

automatic, then

Reliability for the most part. Unless you abuse one they're all pretty much bulletproof from what I've seen. Clutches do go out, but they're not too expensive to replace and anyone can do it, unlike an auto tranny rebuild.

Also security. Auto trannies are controlled by computer and as we've seen with Vault 7, entities have found ways to hack into car computers and control them remotely. Can't control a manual remotely, you can always throw it into neutral if the car goes crazy.

Recently went from MT to AT (europoor).

I like AT much more, only thing where it lacks is I can feel how much power it robs from engine during high speed overtaking.

Obviously you're fucked it you're into drifts and skids and driving on the limit is kinda sketchy yeah you have paddle shifters but it still feels kinda strange when shifting.

One thing I didn't expect is how good it is for zipping through city traffic, with kickdown you can outshift every average euro car, even diesels can't torque jump you on that opening in traffic flow.

I drove a manual tranny car in a big city when I was a wagecuck. You can do it but it's fucking tedious. And there's enough stress from being a wagecuck that you really can't afford the added stress from anything else really. Do yourself a favor and get an auto if you're commuting to/from some dumbass wagecuck job.

>not letting the clutch bite
Kek, autofag

What do you mean? Are you saying I should just ride the clutch uphill at very low speeds instead of letting it go? Doing that continually would be terrible for your transmission...

It's like asking what the benefits of having a crack starter.
No matter what internet autists say, autos are better in every way. Unless it's some sport car you drive just for fun, there is no reason for a manual.

>amerifsts
>stupid
The ironing.

>some sport car you drive just for fun
this, for certain.
Some sports cars are easily worth 30-40% more in manual, if for no other reason than they didn't make many of them.

you get to play with a dick-like object, what's not to like?

>what are the benefits of a manual transmission?
Not getting raped
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4744218/South-Carolina-student-escapes-racially-motivated-rape.html

ok hill assist whatever, but who the fuck doesn't like revmatching

>american """"""""""drivers""""""""""

Well they help you avoid rape.

If you live in a city there are none.
City people are the only people that like automatics and it is because holding in a clutch for 3 hours a day is understandably agony.

>Fun
true
>Price
unless it's a Porsche
>Efficiency
modern DSGs and ZF automatics manage to outdo manuals in this department
>Performance
again see above, although you mentioned DSGs (which are robotized transmissions rather than automatics, BTW)
there's cheap DSGs like the Fiesta, but they're shit

>t. amerifat
The rest of the world loves manuals even in big cities
also autotragics make you hold the brake, I'd rather hold the clutch tbqh

>Auto for daily, Manual for the weekend
Yup this right here. Ever since I was able to afford my first weekend car, this is how I do it.

>auto for carrying shit, bike for everything else
fixt

I drover a manual it's much more relaxing driving a auto and there is anxiety with manual but if you look at dsg auto vs manual in the golf r the autos ate starting to out perform manuals if you're really die hard for the manual go for it but if you just want am daily or pure number without modification then go auto. If you plan on nodding your car go manual they are a lot more durable and simple

No the rest of the world does not love automatics in cities.
If you live in a city you never get to drive anywhere exciting and you are kidding yourself if you think changing gears in stop start traffic is fun.

Manual transmitions always have been and always will be for people who live in the country.

>Benefits
More control over your car, makes most daily maneuvers smoother (or even possible)
>cons
More exhausting in traffic
Less economic

I drive an automatic company car, own a manual car and bike and I'm kinda afraid to switch to automatic+flappy paddles for my next car. The only time I prefer the auto is when I'm sitting in a traffic jam/ heavy rushhour traffic.
Other than that, my simple comparison:
>setting off faster is faster, exactly when I want in the manual (like when someone let's me merge in), not having to wait for a second for the auto to build up pressure
>coming to a stop is smoother by clutching out at walking speed and gently pushing/ releasing the break instead of the "clonk" the auto comes to a stop with

>4. gotta do extra bullshit procedures like put your car in gear and engage the e-brake anytime you park. in an auto, you just throw it in P and you're done.

Putting the car into 1st is the same as putting a car in park. You should always use the handbreak when you park

Flappy paddles are just as boring as automatic, moron.

Apply the handbrake, you absolute weapon. Why aren't Americans taught this in their driving lessons?

Just heel toe

No hills where I live m8.

Fun, manliness, rad points.
Superior sex appeal.

>Drove stick for 10 years

Pros
>Fun as fuck
>Feels like driving rather than just going
>Other people who drive stick will be happy when they find out you also drive stick
>People won't ask to borrow your car because they can't drive it

Cons
>Constantly working the clutch in stop and go traffic is literal agony
>If your car is used for a road trip others might not be able to drive it

Honestly it's up to you. Depending on what kind of car you get you might not be able to get it in standard (in America). Personally I'm getting an automatic next round, I have a motorcycle for fun driving.

>If your car is used for a road trip others might not be able to drive it

>in the US

The only country that matters. I just assumed OP is American if he's even asking this question because if he was a Yurooper he wouldn't even be asking this question.

>new car
>benefits of manual

Pick one and only one

>having to wait a second for auto to build up pressure

This, first time I drove auto I almost was hit pulling into a lane because there's a half second lag in throttle response from standstill. Apparently it's because the torque converter needs to spool up

city traffic : definitely auto
everywhere else manuals are simply more fun to drive

I feel your pain user. I used to be this guy but the traffic is too ridiculous now. Daily an automatic SUV now saving up for a fun car to take out driving/track.

Why do you even come to this board with this shit. I can just feel the poorfag spewing out of each word

More pussy

>you are kidding yourself if you think changing gears in stop start traffic is fun
it's objectively less boring, at least you're doing something

>Constantly working the clutch in stop and go traffic is literal agony
lol these amerifats

where i live you don't drive a car if you don't drive manual. automatic is for 16 year olds and women.

Standard is America is automatic. Standard is Yurop is manual. Why does Yurop hate technology? You do realize when electric vehicles take over manuals won't exist, right?

>manual isn't technology
nice b8
why does america hate fun?

meme all you want, but when the EV era starts manuals won't exist. America is just getting its citizens ready for it by having automatics everywhere.

EVs will be transition vehicles, the endgame is steam

In what dimension do you live?

Manuals were never popular in the US. Nobody is "getting ready" for shit.

>Manuals were never popular in the US
Why is that though?

laziness
just look at this thread, they think using the clutch and changing gears is some superhuman effort
but hey, what comes around goes around, and then you see them crashing because they were immersed in their phones instead of looking at the road because an autotragic allows them to do that
it's no wonder the US has some of the worst drivers in the world. I wouldn't trust an American with no CDL to drive a car I'm riding in.

When cars were getting popular after the second world war america's economic was booming at much higher rate than europe's. That meant that europeans needed small, cheap cars that can get them from point A to point B
>see Beetle, 2CV, Fiat 500
whereas Americans could afford much bigger, more expensive and cars equipped with better technology. So american normies never got used to manual transmissions.

I think Cali blonds are cute. But yeah I wouldn't want to drive in an American city. Too many things could go wrong. I mean, look at this. Some Europeans took their nice car to NY to get some pictures taken and some random American attacks them with a bat.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Xs5qeuUQCA

All the fags on the Internet will say you're cool but meanwhile I'm cruising around with your bitch in my AUTO fingering her tight pussy stretching it out as I'm cruising in my AUTOMATIC so comfy so smoove while your faggot bitch ass is playin with a car dick to impress some whore who's already too lose for your normie sized cock you beta bux bitch.

Those dumb eurofags were sitting in the middle of the street.

Sup BRO, I live in NYC and commute everyday in my manual DD. Sometimes its frustrating in bumper to bumper traffic, but I drove an automatic for 2 yrs and i gotta tell ya, the difference is night and day. There is just a much closer connection to you and your car when driving stick. You know exactly how fast your going to go on a manual depending on what gear you're in. I also drove my new (used) car off the lot without having any experience driving a stick and made it home from NJ to nyc. Dont listen to any of these cucks and get a stick, you wont regret it.

>just throw it in P and you're done.
Is this an American thing? Do you faggots not park on hills where this shit isn't sufficient to keep your car stationary?

Only gays drive manual because it's good practice jerking a stick around for when they go home to jerk off their boyfriend.

>2. Hills are annoying. Some autists are going to come in and say "hurr durr its just second nature, it's not even that hard". No, listen up fuck face, when you're in stop and go traffic on a fucking hill, it becomes obvious real quick that manual transmissions are inconvenient as hell. there is a road here with about 5 red lights and the entire thing is slightly uphill so it gets annoying real quick.
learn to use the parking break to hold you in place you fucking retard

>Automatic gearbox
>Mini

For what purpose?

My e brake is a pedal.