New Mexico dudes, are there any awesome mountain roads to travel there?

New Mexico dudes, are there any awesome mountain roads to travel there?

Going to do a road trip with my brother in law soon. He's taking his Lotus, I'm taking my Corvette. Want to drive some cool mountain roads.

Self-bump. Halp

Sandia Crest is a great and beautiful road to drive on

I didn't realize Ikea was selling sports cars now.

Which region specifically? NM has some great ones hidden around. The north-central part has a fair few, just look around NM4, NM126, NM96, NM554, NM 111, etc. If you're sticking more to the AZ/NM border area, then US 191 between Springerville, AZ and Morenci, AZ is fucking awesome, and then you can work through whichever route back over to Silver City, NM and then do NM15 all the way up to its end at the Gila Cliff Dwellings area, and then come back south and take NM35 southeast, then head down NM 152. NM27 south out of Hillsboro isn't nearly as curvy as 152, but you get some good elevation changes as the dry mountain forest turns back into desert scrubland. If you want to do a multiday thing, then overnight in Las Cruces and then go northeast up to Alamogordo (check out White Sands National Monument if you like), then up US82 to Cloudcroft. I ate at a restaurant called Big Daddy's Barbecue on the east side of Cloudcroft; they've always done right by me. Back to the roads. If you decide to go out there you *have to* do Sunspot Highway all the way down to Timberon. It is excellent. NM130 over towards Mayhill, and then NM24 to Pinon are both pretty cool as well. The tail end of 24 up to Dunken and to US82 is in kind of shit condition, or at least was two years ago when last I drove it.

Literally this

Thank you so much, sir! We'll be sticking to the central area over to the Texas border I think.

Kek

>sticking to the central area over to the Texas border

Neat. So everything that other poster wrote no longer applies to you. Bummer. West Tx/East NM is about as buttfuck nothing as you can get. Pull up a map and tell me how many mountain ranges you see. Hope you like your roads straight and your people stupid as fuck.

I hadn't looked at a map yet, so I didn't know everything was confined to other side. I can go further if necessary to ran those roads though.

Here's a general map of the areas I'm talking about in order from my longpost. I'll post a couple more of old ones I made of NM244 and Sunspot Highway when I find them again.

NM244

Also note that while those boxes have pretty sizable areas of general desert, zoom in on Google Maps and you'll find what I'm talking about. Also, That NM159 by Alma/Mogollon is a lie unless you have decent ground clearance. It is all gravel/dry(sometimes) riverbed for about half of it and quite rough dirt/gravel/rock the rest of the way.

NM130

If you and your friend(s) are outdoorsy types and have access to Jeeps/trucks/FJs, then that NM159 area would be awesome and you could camp out pretty much anywhere in that whole frigging area. There are some awesome views from the top of some of the ridgelines. Just make sure you're topped off on fuel and food in Silver City.

man, this is sweet. finally an archive of shit to do here.
any ABQfags ITT?

Sunspot Highway. This road helped me de-stress so many times. Also, north is to the right on this one.

Originally I hated New Mexico, because I lived in Clovis for four years. It's a shithole. The people are generally sketchy, it's a poor state, etc. What I learned in my last two years in the state was that its value lies not in the towns but out in the wilderness. There's so much beauty hidden away miles from civilization; you just have to go find it.

>tfw lost the map to a 4x4 trip I took some years ago
it was about a days worth of wheeling in the rio rancho (and somewhat further north) area and it was pretty sweet.
>snoopy hill in a CCLB is some interesting shit

What could you possibly be doing there to require the front clamshell removal?

Hey sup. Finally a decent rain

the rain sucks cause I've been needing to paint some stuff so now it's too humid to even shoot primer
plus everyone will drive like ass for the next 3 days because wet roads are an alien fucking concept

Sup bros.
I move to AZ a few years ago, but lived in ABQ for 27 years. I miss Blakes and Dions. Also, trying to find actual New Mexican cuisine in AZ is hard. I got my Aunt sending me some Wecks chili.

If you can make the drive, AZ has a insane stretch of highway called The Devil's Highway.

They renamed it US191. I've driven it three times. The first was at night and it had snow flurries for about 2/3d the route. I had no idea how shitty that could've ended had I hit ice. The next two times it was sunny and dry. Also, why do pickup drivers try to actively block people in sportscars? The turbo meant he couldn't really do anything once I got to a straight section, and then he tried to keep up with me for a little bit. I was driving a turbocharged NB with suspension work and RE-11s (before the RE-71R came out), so I was fucking gone.

Paintwork in monsoon season is risky biz man

Just finished some cold dions lol. Look into a company called young guns for frozen hatch chiles!

man, I haven't had blakes in forever. I used to try to get it when I was a ranch hand but they got some new people so quality dropped and it still took forever so I just ate mcniggers since it was fast and cheap.
sucks ass that they seem to be closing the west side harbor freight by the lowes, that was my go-to for chinesium shit. least there's a close wecks now.

Never thought I'd miss green chile. I'm now up in Iowa and can't find any at all.

iirc the original owners of Blake's sold the franchise rights to a big restaurant company. They want to expand the franchise out of NM. So now we get quantity over quality.

damn, that sucks. at least there's still a couple of those bob's places around, they make good shit

Thanks for all the info man, I'll have to document all this.

A/C blower motor. Yes, remove the clamshell for a fucking blower motor.

If I still lived there I'd show you through Sunspot. There's one particularly tight section; his Lotus will eat it up, and the longer wheelbase of your Corvette will make it a little interesting so use good judgement with your lines. There usually isn't much traffic on it but be careful nevertheless. If you go late into the afternoon, be mindful of deer and elk. And every once in a while somebody's cows will get out. Pretty funny to come across a minefield of cow patties in the road with a herd of fat ass heifers lying in the shade of a stand of trees.