Anyone else here who doesn't think much of the rise of China?

Anyone else here who doesn't think much of the rise of China?
Besides material growth, what else has China to offer? I don't feel the magnetism of China ( even when I went there ) in any way except for maybe businessmen, but besides that, it's a hollow entity in the world and in itself.
Their civilization seems non-existent now. Just a billion scammers and money-grabbers and a bunch of TEFL'ers coming home disappointed it isn't Qing China anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_examination#West
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_Majesty's_Civil_Service#History
bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-09-06/china-eats-up-larger-chunk-of-world-s-shrinking-trade-pie
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The influence of a culture isn't based purely on how much you like it.

Well, where is their influence then? Their Western knock-off culture?

The Revolution pretty much killed them spiritually. So much that a lot of them are even turning into Christianity as a reaction to their own culture. I met a Chinese girl who was like that

The contemporary art scene in China is actually undergoing a slow boom as the government lifts restrictions and censorship. Granted, it's not anywhere near as diverse or in depth as many western countries, but it's there and it's improving.

Also forgot to mention that most of it is surreal, due to what I would haphazardly guess is a reaction to aforementioned government censorship. It's a lot easier to get past nosy bureaucrats if you disguise your meaning in absurdity.

Currently, China's only major cultural impact on the world was the invention of the meritocracy. But assuming China continues to maintain a reasonable amount of economic growth for a few more decades, that will change

>what else has China to offer?
Ghost cities, cancer and smog.

Meritocracy was developed independently in the west. China is influenced, not influential.

More stained concrete and shrubbery plz i quite enjoy this asthetic

Schway as fuck

The desolation of china is really neat

>Xi Jinping
>lifting censorship

The Chicoms destroyed their civilization, just like leftists in the West have tried to do at every opportunity. The Soviets and other Eastern Bloc powers tried the same thing but they weren't as thorough as the Chicoms.

even japan is more influential culturally
>inb4 hur dur tang culture

Go to Taiwan then, classist scum

Thats cause you live in America. In Asia you can feel China's presence pretty strong

politically yes, they claim huge part of south china sea, pissing everybody off
for the rest, not really, and if there is its mostly bad and negative
mainland china is cancer, but taiwan and strait chinese are nice though

t. SEA guy whose city is wrecked by barbaric mainland chinese tourist

story of pic please.

I haven't really paid much mind to it. The People's Republic of China has had this potential to become the economic super power, and all they have do is develop the land they already own. I'd prefer it to be some form of democracy as my own ideologies align with it, but I'm alright with their current nonsense I guess.

>shovel peasants off of farms into factories
>do nothing to improve rule of law or transition to a knowledge based economy
>GDP improves for a while and then growth begins to taper off
>peasants were only being kept in line by steady economic growth
>repression and political distraction wars are too expensive to sustain without any more economic growth
>????????
>profit

When will poorfags learn.

Veeky Forums Pass user since December 2012.

It's kinda funny seeing history repeat itself here with Japan and China. An economically underdeveloped country uses the fact they can work for peanuts compared to the west combined with sabotaging their own currency leads to everyone proclaiming the doom of the West because these mysterious Orientals have special heathen brains that will make their line graphs go straight up forever. And all the fiction of the time portrays a future run by the then Japanese, now Chinese. And just like the Japanese before, the Chinese economy's hitting a wall because business people still haven't after 300 years of Economics as a discipline figured out that the line on the graph never goes up forever.

China is breeding the ultimate capitalist race.

>China's censorship today is the same as it was in 2000

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_examination#West
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_Majesty's_Civil_Service#History

>history repeats itself

Biggest meme in history

Why is China's situation 2016 not the same as Japan's 1990?

1. China is 54% urbanized today. Japan was 80% urbanized in 1990. America was 55% urbanized in fucking 1920.
Hence, just by bringing farmers into city factories, the GDP will grow.

2. China's GDP per capita is $8000. Japan's in 1990 was $25,000, higher than America's.
Poorer countries always grow faster than richer countries in the long-run.

3. Japan had 123 million people
China has 1.4 billion.

4. China has the 3rd largest landmass with many natural resources.
Japan has the 17th largest.

5. 2016 is not 1990. Despite what may sometimes be memed, the world economy is far bigger today. That means that China will always have a growing market to export to.
Japan in 1990 was already eating up all the exports in the world. The addition of China/SK/Taiwan/Malaysia BTFO Japan's lead.
It is unlikely that the fundamentally worse-run countries of South Asia will take China's marketshare in exports.
bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-09-06/china-eats-up-larger-chunk-of-world-s-shrinking-trade-pie

> And just like the Japanese before, the Chinese economy's hitting a wall because business people still haven't after 300 years of Economics as a discipline figured out that the line on the graph never goes up forever.

Neither is the West's, whats your point?

Funny seeing this after the shitshow that 2008 was in the West.

Meanwhile, despite all the cries of "collapse", China grew 10% that year.

I'm not saying China will collapse, I'm saying that they won't take over the world as some cultural and economic behemoth. It has nothing to do with history repeating itself and everything to do with rank orientalism that thinks that China is somehow not beholden to the same economic and physical laws as the rest of us, much like was thought about Japan.

That's because of the cultural revolution. If you crossed Chinese economy with murrican freedums you'd have one hell of a place.

>The People's Republic of China has had this potential to become the economic super power, and all they have do is develop the land they already own
The land they own is already developed.
That's why they're being so uppity lately.

One of the side-effects of having an ancient civilization is that all the good spots have already been built on, and the national borders were defined by the political realities of a thousand years ago. Notice that half of the country is essentially worthless land.

>The land they own is already developed.
>That's why they're being so uppity lately.

Care to explain why Germany isn't uppity then? If population/land is all that matters?

They act uppity because they are surrounded by enemy forces from halfway across the globe. Think of how America responded to Cuba.

>Notice that half of the country is essentially worthless land.
No. Most of that land is decent for grazing and is full of mineral resources. It also makes a great pollution/waste deposit area.

>It has nothing to do with history repeating itself and everything to do with rank orientalism that thinks that China is somehow not beholden to the same economic and physical laws as the rest of us, much like was thought about Japan.

Umm whatYou are clearly claiming that China will stagnate like Japan. AKA historical analogy.

When all signs point to this being fucking WRONG.

Germany isn't uppity because germany isn't a burgeoning major power, its a stable country with an aging population. However the last two times it was a burgeoning major power it got very uppity indeed.

A large part of that land isn't too usefull. Arid shrublands do make good grazing lands for goats and sheep, but your still limited by the inherently shitty carrying capacity of the land. Inner mongolia is already a fucking dustbowl, so you aren't going to get much more out of it.