Tips for finding a cheap project car

Hey guys, looking for cheap cars to learn to wrench on. Only thing is I want something that at least runs so I can at least learn to drive stick with it. Any tips/advice?

Rule #1 - stay away from spic-owned cars. Spics are fucking retarded and take care of their cars like shit

hm, i never recommend b8 a4s to people cause the engines in them are total garbage, but if youre serious about wanting to wrench on it then it might actually fit your bill. the early b8s (09-11) are fraught with oil consumption and timing chain tensioner issues so theyre dirt cheap used. like $4-5k nowadays. you can swap in a motor from a '13+ for $2.5k and itll run like a dream. then slap on a bolt on turbo upgrade, some supporting mods, and a tune, and itll run mid to high 12s.

can probably do it all-in for under $10k if you do your research and all your own work. the engines are actually great to work on cause theyre so small and relatively uncomplicated. and they share parts with vws so the parts themselves are cheap. then youre left with a nice entry level luxury awd daily with an awesome interior and great ride quality. just gotta be prepared to put in work.

lol like, half the budget dude.
I'll keep this in mind

gotcha. if youre put off by the $10k total price, theyre perfectly driveable in the meantime, youll just have to add a quart of oil every 200 miles or so. can just grab one and putt around in your fancy little 2 stroke motor and drop money into it as you get it.

Buy a classic car and just work on it. God knows theyre easy as hell to work on. And even a 5k budget can get you a decent 65-68 mustang.

I will totally keep this in mind.
Any guides for keeping them up and running?

all the info youll ever need is on the audizine b8 forum. i even have my '13 motor swap diy on there, it's linked in the diy sticky.

thanks bro

np. youll certainly be able to find cheaper cars, or even faster cars for cheaper, but imo it's the best daily for the money all things considered. faster than an s4 for half the price, and the interior and ride quality are amazing. and its awd so you can hoon it year round.

I already have a Civic for a DD (2011), but depending on where I end up in the next few months (moving for work), I'll keep this in mind.

Still open to other suggestions from people, I am partial to 80s-90s cars as well.

find someone desperate with a car you want. if they post stuff like need money for rent etc. you can get it for a fraction of whats asked. i got an mr2 with 150,000 miles for 700 bucks a few months ago. take advantage of their fucked up situation.

if you already have a daily and are just looking for something to fuck around with, i learned to wrench on old small block f and g body chevys. those were fun af too. in some respects even moreso than the a4. and much cheaper.

Yea, I can't find many of the A4s for

ugh, youll regret getting a metro. 3 cylinder engines, cant go over 55mph. and yeah i didnt think of that, manuals b8s are super rare. the tiptronics are good transmissions though.

I love these red coilpacks that VW group uses

looks sexy as fuck

Didn't know they can't go over 55, that blows.
How about something like a 90s celica or an 80s RX7? Or a 318i or something?
Something fun to fuck with outside my civic.

oh yeah theyre awesome. not stock, theyre the r8 packs, but only ~$80 for the set. they look even better with matching meth lines.

all good choices. really, the world's your oyster if youre looking to wrench on a project. just pick whatever inspires you the most to give you the most enjoyment out of it.

Thanks user.
You may've seen me around before, always the guy asking about Jags from the late 80s-early 90s, lol. Specifically the XJs/12, but everyone says they SUCK to work on.

never had the (dis?)pleasure of working on one of those, but an ex of mine's dad had one of the old 12 cylinders and spent a pretty penny trying to keep it on the road. probably not a good first car to learn on.

Try to stay away from online searching as your only search platform.

Get a paper, drive around your town. People who put their junk on craigslist are looking to get money, a guy who rolls his old car to the front of his lawn and slaps a for sale sign on it is looking to ditch it.

A lot of luck comes in at this point

this is true, saw an old plymouth duster pretty decent condition that was super cheap on the side of the road. Had no extra income had to watch it disappear a few days later.

I mean I think I would enjoy it, but it would probably be rough at the start.
I might have to do that, lots of old people here.

Suck at least the owner a minimum of 5 minutes

Best deal, do his kiddo too