Why do Americans refuse to turbocharge their sports cars?

The Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger all use superchargers on their fastest trims (GT500 soon) instead of turbos. With turbos, 900 HP would be easy on all of these big V8's. Why do they stick to inferior heatsoaking superchargers?

Other urls found in this thread:

autonews.com/article/20141111/BLOG06/311119998/why-turbocharger-fans-owe-saab-a-thank-you
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

muh throttle response mofugguh

>ooga booga
>muh peak power
>bix nood

This is the Americans last nod for reminiscing the 1970s where big motors and superchargers reigned the markets.

You will get nothing but turbo 4cyl and electric cars soon you triple faggot enjoy the instant throttle response, supercharger whines and big american v8 rumble sound while it lasts.

>electric
>not instant throttle response
You retarded?

Because na v8s are goat and you don't need 900hp. Cars are way too fucking fast now. 99% of people don't have the skill for 400hp, much less 900.

I mean 900hp in a straight line drag car controllable.
900hp in a daily driver going to the mall
Uncontrollable

>What is throttle mapping
Electric cars all roll on the torque to save your tires and to save battery juice

most come supercharged you uninformed nigger
doge srt, ss camaro, corvette zo6, and basically anything on the fucking market with ecoboost

>ss camaro
that's na
zl1 is supercharged

>You're retarded?
How about you learn about electric cars first before insulting

im retarded you are correct

>Why do Americans refuse to turbocharge their sports cars?

Mapping is not the same as delay. You're still getting the max the tires can take the moment you put your foot down. If there was no throttle mapping electric cars would have worse throttle response, not better, as the torque overpowers the tires the moment you put your foot down and you spin till you catch.

>Tfw considering SC'ing V6 mustang
Is this a bad idea for engine life

>V6 mustang
save your money
sell it and by a real mustang

>Tfw trying to sell 2014 V6 @18k miles and people don't even want it for $14.5
Working on it.

my daily driver is an SR-71 Blackbird

>Camaro SS is supercharged
>Ecoboost is supercharging
>repeating OP that the Z06 is supercharged
>"Doge"
>SRT 392 is supercharged
>reading comprehension in general
You're a fucking retard ESL

The GT500 will likely be twinturbo. Camaro and Mustang both use turbos on their base trims. Turbos aren't as easy to package on a V8, especialyl compared to a supercharger that will just slot in that valley. Nobody is gunning for 900 horsepower, unless the horsepower wars escalate further. Let's hope they do - I want to see Dodge strap two snails to a 426 3rd gen Hemi.

900 hp on a bad IRS setup is uncontrollable even in a straight line.

>Is adding hot, compressed intake air to a 10.5:1 CR engine bad for engine life?
Yes.

Jokes on you, the Americans were the first, second and fifth to offer turbos on production vehicles. It literally took 11 years for the Yuros to catch up (1962 vs. 1973).

They also pioneered their use in motorsports, with the Offenhauser engines in 1966. It took another decade for the turbo era of Formula 1 to start.

>Why do Americans
yes

>JETFIRE
If Americans are good at anything, it's naming things

Americans understand the importance of practical powerbands and throttle response
Euro's just like adding tubros to make either economy cars that never reach their advertised mpg's or high strung i4 dyno queens
All show no go, sad.

>Turbo-fire
>Tri-power
>HEMI
>(Super) Cobra Jet
>Ram Air
>Police Interceptor
>Super Duty
>Max Wedge
>Wildcat
>Golden Commando
>Sonoramic
>Ram Rod
>Tornado
>Hurricane
Hell, even Iron Duke sounds kinda cool.

Gotta be MANLY otherwise American men won't buy it

On the contrary. Americans don't have an obsession with naming things masculinely. Americans have an obsession with making references to their own military at every opportunity.
For example. While the name Corvette is now synonymous with American sportscars, the name came from a class of WW2 war ships.

>EcoBoost

I always thought max wedge was the coolest sounding. Too bad wedge heads are outdated

>Too bad wedge heads are outdated
You what mate? LS engines are still wedges. Hell, Given the quality of aftermarket heads for the RB series, I think that up to 600-700hp n/a, a Mopar Wedge might be a cheaper option than a 2nd gen Hemi.

they've all been decommissioned, you tard. what are you, from the past or something?

Pull an ecoboost v6 out of a crashed f150.

>Corvette
>class of WW2 ships

A corvette is a type of warship, not a class, and has existed since the age of sail. It has nothing to do with WW2.

Turbos have lag and do better at higher rpm. For v8s, there is no higher rpm. Also, that part of the tach is unstable to drive at

>3.5L V8
>215 horses
>with forced induction

At least European and Japanese engines had compression ratios higher than 5:1

I'll give you a hint: it's same reason flagship supercars aren't turbocharged.

Had a 10.25:1 compression ratio.
The problem lied in the wedge shaped combustion chamber which reduces efficiency as well as the 4800 RPM redline

.5L V8
That sounds like the Buick V8. pretty legendary engine. i think it was used in the Rover SD1 which itself was fairly successful in motorsports.

They were hand drawing ybings that are done by computers now. It was also nineteen sixty fucking one. They were using forged aluminum blocks and heads before selling the design to rover who changed it to casting. American superiority wins again.

>Meme Answers
Throttle response
Heritage

>Real answers
The Eternal Wageslave doesn't know turbos are for anything other than economy cars and thinks superchargers are more premium.

A 900HP vehicle with turbolag is a liability for a company that caters to boomers to make because there will be nothing but grandparents and soccermoms texting and overtaking before the turbos spool up and they paint the back of a semi.

Because a big ass V8 and the instant response of a supercharger is magic. Most American cars aren't supposed to be fast on a track. They're for doing burnouts, peeling away from the lights and the occasional highway pull.

beacuse turbos without traction control up the ass and around the corner kills shitty drivers and these cars are ment to be driven not just to take you for a ride while the computer drives

I was going to post this.

The grand national gets my dick hard as diamonds, I'm seriously considering buying a modified one and make it stock as possible or see what's salvageable and make it decent.

ALso, its about 10k, maybe I can get it at 5k. But god knows how fucked the internals are. The owner says it's has cooling problems.

Is it worth it anons?

You only get turbo lag when you throw way too big of a turbo on too small of an engine. A big pudhrod V8 with two tiny turbo's would have almost zero lag. Even big turbo's on a big V8 are manageable because you got a 400+hp engine without any boost which gives you some drivability.

>Camaro and Mustang can be ordered with turbo motors.

I think this thread is trying to ruse me.

But they are user. Base model Camaros come with a 2.0L Ecotec I4 turbo.
And mid-range Mustangs (the ones directly below the V8) get a 2.3L Ecoboost I4 turbo.

It only made 5 PSI, and lacked an intercooler despite the quite high 10.25:1 CR. 5 PSI equals a PR of 1.3, so it made about 165hp n/a. Meanwhile, the Mercedes M100, a handbuilt SOHC engine with advanced fuel injection, only made 45 hp/l (although it did have a lower compression ratio of 9.0:1). The BMW V8 wasn't a lot better: 43hp/l for the 2.6, and 50hp/l for the 3.2, with a compression ratio of up to 9.0:1.
No Euro V8 that I know of had a higher compression ratio than this (boosted!) V8, and it was pretty much in the ballpark of their specific output once you correct for the pressure ratio. Both of these points are pretty amazing once you consider that it was supposed to be an engine for a compact commuter car. Also, consider the fact that it was one of the first mainstream aluminium block engines, and the Yuros used it for just over four decades (1965-2006).

Why would you buy an original GN, when you could buy a regular Regal, paint it black, throw a 5.3 and a turbo in there? Go twice as fast, look just as good.

>1962
Don't be retarded

because that's the american way. there is a reason why porsches are so stubborn about keeping engine on the rear, there is a reason why muricans are so stubborn about big engines. It's just beautiful, huge ass carbed engine where everything works on simplest ruleset possible. I'm yuro but i'd love to have some kind of old burger pony car, no matter how terribad it handles or how much fuel it uses.

also, engine that produces 400hp from five liters will live way longer than engine that produces 400hp from two liters.

>It's just beautiful
Not really, look at the plastic junk on modern ones
>huge ass
Not really sicne they ditched the big blocks
>carbed engine
Not really since they're not even doing single point injection anymore.
>where everything works on simplest ruleset possible.
Dodge uses semihemispherical heads with double rocker valvetrains, GM is doing direct injection, and Ford has gone DOHC. Neither approach is simple.

Thread about turbo without naming SAAB is like talking about computers without talking about IBM, Intel or x86.

>Thread about turbo without naming SAAB is like talking about computers without talking about IBM
In that it indicates that it is not taking place in the year 1993?

In that it indicates that if not for SAAB, the Turbo would've been either abandoned or still a useless piece of bolted on trash.

autonews.com/article/20141111/BLOG06/311119998/why-turbocharger-fans-owe-saab-a-thank-you

>Yes, General Motors was first in the early ’60s to offer turbos on regular production cars, such as the 1962 Corvair and the 1962-63 Oldsmobile F-85 Jetfire. But those were short-lived science experiments.
>Except at Saab.
>Saab pioneered many of the technologies turbochargers use today, such as the wastegate, which manages the turbo’s pressure. Saab engineers also developed a method to prevent ignition knock by automatically lowering the boost while the engine is under load, and Saab paired the turbocharger with electronic fuel injection before nearly all other nonluxury brands.
SAAB was a luxury car in features and safety, too bad people never understood it and SAAB died out while the rest of the lower food chain cars took from it like vultures around a carcass.

>proceeds to win le mans

>finish 18th
>realize the V8 is better

nope.turbo's would have died if it wasnt for this.

>Saab pioneered many of the technologies turbochargers use today, such as the wastegate, which manages the turbo’s pressure. Saab engineers also developed a method to prevent ignition knock by automatically lowering the boost while the engine is under load, and Saab paired the turbocharger with electronic fuel injection before nearly all other nonluxury brands.

Maybe you forgot to read the link and just googled old turbo car on google without looking at what makes the turbo work well.

>2002 turbo was written mirrored on front bumper so cars that overtake it could read that it was turbocharged engine, as an excuse for lack of power
>not even bmw believed in this project
yeah, no

Turbo vehicles would have gone to market even without Saab. They weren't the first, but even though they popularised them somewhat, Saab can easily be missed in the development of the turbocharged in the automobile industry.
>Saab pioneered the wastegate
Saab didn't invent it though.
>Lowering boost under load
Simple ECU controls.
>First non-luxury EFI
Not significant when the entire industry was moving to EFI anyways.

Face it, without Saab the modern automobile would largely look the same.

Look the same, not work the same.

Safety is a thing Volvo and SAAB always fought over, while the other car brands was so far behind they weren't even worth mentioning.

>Simple ECU controls
Thanks to SAAB that is.

>having trouble selling an undesirable car
gee who knew

What the fuck are you talking about?

Venom GT, Syclone, SSC Aero, etc all use turbocharged engines.

>taurous sho

>literally-who supercars
ATS-V is the only point you have in your post

Americans are too stupid to be trusted with that much horsepower. The engineers know that.

>The engineers know that
Nigga please.

Europeans make their powerful cars much more expensive so as to keep them out of reach from potentially dumb people. In america however you can get a GT500 with 600 HP for 70k (i think that was new). that is a car that could lunge its 3,800 lb self at 200MPH potentially into a crowd of people.

All for just 70k. Shelby 1000s could be had with over 1000HP. they WANT disasters to happen. seems like Muhammad's wet dream i'm not sure why they aren't plowing (those) fuckers into people.

>>literally-who supercars

Your knowledge of automotive history is lacking if you can't even recognize two top speed record holders.

Only normies give a shit about records like that. Anyone can twin turbo an LSX and give it a shitload of boost. Meanwhile, Mossler actually had racing success with their kevlar-built MT900 which only weighs 2200lbs, but nobody gave them publicity for some reason.

If it's something that normies would know, then what's your excuse for not knowing?

>MT900
Speaking of, there was a model fitted with a turbo, too.

nigga...

That's fucking sexy. sleek as a damn ShAWK.

>392
>supercharged

...no it isn't

that engine has been turbo'd for -years-. google the daytona prototype

OP the real answer is because modern turbocharging is expensive. packaging especially, then you have to deal with heat and reliability and fuel delivery and etc etc etc. to be honest it's pretty far beyond what American engineers can do (or at least what they've been delivering as of late).

look at BMW and Mercedes. they package their turbos inside the vee for better throttle response and cost effectiveness. but this comes with a lot of heat issues that need to be remedied.

soon American cars won't have a choice though, and just like V12s and the dual-clutch transmission, they'll be far behind everyone else in R/D.

>just like V12s

Actually Americans were dominating the multi-cylinder engines long ago. They were just the first to realize that V8s can do anything a 10- and 12-cyl engines can.

except be luxurious

You wot m8

They kinda did supercharge the 392/6.4 though. They took the 392 block, kept it at stock bore, and then threw in a (heavily redesigned) 5.7-sized crank. This resulted in the 6.2, which is (mostly) based on the 392.

Ur mom was decommissioned, after I had sex in her vagina

>Why do Americans
Obsessed reddit faggot

That´s a Opel constructed in germany...

I mean, why? 400ish is great for most people looking to drive a sports/muscle car, and superchargers require damn near no work to incorporate into a design. there's no real need for turbos. also, superchargers will always be more appealing just based off of name alone - to a normie, a supercharger >>>>>> turbo, any day of the week.

also, traditional american muscle cars were na so I think part of it is carrying the flag and keeping that glorious rumble alive

You're a fucking moron. Ford literally remodeled their business around upwelling a turbo on every model as an 'ecoboost' that's 'good for the environment'

>That´s a Opel constructed in germany...
>assembled in Delaware
Look up where shit was built user. Even the Opel variants. Built in America, exported to Europe

constructed =I= assembled

Support IKEA because it's built in your house and by someone you know.

Turbo lag for turbo fags.

t. slow, no power cuck

Your entire continent actively tries to tax and legislate your dumbasses from driving.

Try again Europoor.