When an European buys a pickup truck. Why buy a truck with a V8 when a 1.3 diesel does the trick?

When an European buys a pickup truck. Why buy a truck with a V8 when a 1.3 diesel does the trick?

Other urls found in this thread:

mit-pferden-reisen.de/files/ADAC_Anhaengelasten/ADAC2014/TO28205.doc___ADAC_Anh__nge__und_Dachlasten_07.2014_Teil_II_ab_1800kg.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1.3, are you fucking mad? The insurance would kill us

0.4 is where its at!

but it doesnt do the trick

Why would you even buy one of these when you can have one from the same company with a flat bed and folding sides?

I hardly ever see those utility coupes.

These on the other hand...

>tfw all of these used to be available as single cabs but now it's all crew cabs, crew cabs, crew cabs
>tfw murricans have the same problem but with their high end trims, there's no way to configure a luxury single cab truck

>unibody
half frame ftw ;^)

To be fair, single cabs are great for when you're using it like a "company daily driver" where you just use it to put shit in the bed and transport it there - but for a more general use an extended cab usually win by allowing you that tiny space behind your seats to put personal gear, clothes and other things you might not wanna put in the bed or expose to the elements

>1.3 pickup
You called?

Yeah, but extended cabs are rarely available. It's either single cab (if available at all) or crew cab on Euro trucks, and crew cabs have absolutely useless beds.

Really? We have a different "problem" here in Norway it seems

Big four;
>Toyota Hilux
Extended cab or double cab
>Nissan Navara
>Mitsubishi L200
>Isuzu D-Max
Double cab
>VW Amarok
Double cab

The seemingly ONLY pickup that is generally available AND sold new here in Norway that is available with a single-cab configuration is the goddamned Ford Ranger

Do Yuops buy pickups often? I thought everyone over there drove teeny tiny cars.

I wish I could buy and drive this in America. I'd DD it every day.

>Do Yuops buy pickups often?
For their original intended purpose, i.e. work, hauling shit and going where there are no roads, sure. Especially since "work vehicles" (registered as company cars) get massive tax breaks.

I don't mean as a company thing, everyone uses trucks for moving company equipment.

I mean for personal use. DDing, pulling a camper trailer or a boat, 4-wheeling, etc.

No, but they exist. Foresters and sometimes construction workers use them, as do a few other folks. But most worksites are so easily accessible that a cutaway van with a flatbed is still the better choice because it offers more cargo capacity.

Then no, because everything that's not "for work" is taxed to shit. That's why things like the Twingo or the trio in pic related are so popular, they dodge the majority of said taxes by being small, therefore light, and having a tiny engine, therefore using very little fuel and putting out very little CO2 in official tests.

There's also things like hybrid crossovers which were literally only built to cheat the system, they sell like hotcakes because they're big and dodge most of said taxes as well. I personally fucking hate them.

>that picture is what European cars look like
I feel so sorry for you guys.

Not because you don't have huge bro-trucks, but because your cars look like a $5 mouse.

Why would you DD a pickup and pull a queen size bed worth of empty space around with you, impacting fuel economy and hindering parking?

And why would you pull your camper with a pickup when there's a selection of passenger cars rated for 4,000 lbs and upwards towing?

And why would you offroad a barge instead of using the smallest thing you can find for the best manouverability?

Those are basically city runabouts, small, cheap, easy to park, good on gas, cheap to buy.
Slightly more well-off people lease any black, silver or white midsize German sedan.

Semi-rich people that want to show off how eco-conscious they are buy a Tesla.

It only does 25mph tho

Speaking on behalf of Norway;
People in my country who buy pickup trucks for personal use are most often those who really do "need" one for their hobbies, activities, interests or whatever you'd call it.

Fishermen who sets out their boat every time they go fishing, and who also has to transport the outboard engine, fuel tank, equipment and whatnot

Hunters who bring with them a dog or two (a lot of them build dog cages/buy pre-built cages on the bed of the truck itself), and who wants something that'll get them, their dogs and equipment wherever they want to be. Its also really nice to have a bed you can just throw bait and kill into without worrying about the smell or it becoming messy

People who do offroad very commonly use old pickups, with the Hilux/VW Taro definitely being the most popular. Simple, cheap and with endless aftermarket.

Camper trailers; not so much, actually. Nobody really buys a vehicle with that exactly in mind, as most modern stationwagons, sedans and crossovers can tow a standard size camper without issue

The very few people I know who drive pickups and don't really ever use them for what they're worth or anything remotely "pickupy" are ironically enough the ones who drive american pickups

I'm a very typical example of the average pickup driver. Most of the days its just a very capable daily driver, which I use to get to work, the store or to go wherever I need to be. Then one day I'm organizing an exercise drill and need to carry evacuation equipment, comms equipment, rope, blankets and whatnot. Then I'm picking up materials for whatever my dad is building and won't go nicely in his Outlander.

Some days will pass, and suddenly something is fucking broken at my workplace, and as such I won't have an ATV, or maybe the trailer for the ATV - then I'll have to load my Hilux with all my equipment and bring it out in the field.

>Why would you DD a pickup and pull a queen size bed worth of empty space around with you, impacting fuel economy and hindering parking?
Not all pickups are that big. Also, I did the math: as an American, if I did have use for a pickup (I don't) it wouldn't make sense for me to also own a car because the costs would make it cheaper to just drive the truck.

>And why would you pull your camper with a pickup when there's a selection of passenger cars rated for 4,000 lbs and upwards towing?
What cars are you talking about? Because, again as an American, I'm not familiar with them. The last car I owned that I'd trust to pull a trailer was the Crown Vic station wagon.

See, the German sedans aren't bad. It's just, those fucking Walmart mouse cars. My god.

>The very few people I know who drive pickups and don't really ever use them for what they're worth or anything remotely "pickupy" are ironically enough the ones who drive american pickups
That sounds about right.

Shit meant to reply to

>if I did have use for a pickup (I don't) it wouldn't make sense for me to also own a car
Yeah, but who even has use for a pickup if the right selection of car can easily tow your lawn cuttings or camper trailer?

>What cars are you talking about?
mit-pferden-reisen.de/files/ADAC_Anhaengelasten/ADAC2014/TO28205.doc___ADAC_Anh__nge__und_Dachlasten_07.2014_Teil_II_ab_1800kg.pdf

Here's a list of all 2016 models that can tow 1800 kg (~3960 lbs) or more. The list goes up to 3550 kg or ~7800 lbs. Some hatches in the lowest ranks, lots of smaller wagons, then some larger sedans and wagons, then crossovers and SUVs and finally SUVs and pickup trucks.

>It's just, those fucking Walmart mouse cars. My god.
Generally speaking, your muppet econosedans aren't any better than our econohatches, only sedan shaped. Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Nissan Versa, list goes on. Absolutely dreadful, and actually less practical than a hatch.

I don't know what you're talking about.

>What cars are you talking about?
Nearly every sedan can pull 4000lbs. Small cars pull around 2600lbs.

The funniest thing is those tiny shitboxes are a fucking hoot to toss around corners. Sure they're slow and very cheap, but their limits are so low you can reach them almost anywhere, and usually not even break the speed limit. There's a reason they actually race those things.

Not exactly the nicest thing to take on the highway though, and I wouldn't really want to have to commute more than 30 minutes in one since they're not very comfy.

Almost anyone who drive this is an asshole. It's the equivalent of an asshole who owns a lifted truck in burgerland.

This. I don't think anyone has ever done serious work in a crew cab Amarok. They're luxopickups for showoffs.

Huh. Looks like they rate tow capacity lower in Murica. The Mazda CX-5 has half the Yurop tow capacity in America.

> Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Nissan Versa
Yeah, those are fucking terrible, but you hardly every see them in America. Actually, where I live I can literally drive for miles and not see anything that's not a pickup or SUV. My Altima is usually the smallest thing on the road except the motorcycles.

Also in America, any jerkoff can go and buy an old truck, or an old Ford Panther body V8, or even a Corolla / Camry / Civic / Accord for really cheap, and they'd rather do that than buy one of those abysmal fucking mouse cars.

I fucking just about berated a younger coworker of mine (he is 20, I'm 23) after he said he wanted one of those. He plans on moving permanently to my municiapility, and says he wants a pickup to do the "tough roads" and all that

I swear, my autism was really showing then. The Amarok has its place, sure - but I'd rather get a Transporter with 4Motion

>pickup thread
>yuropoors start bringing up the idea of "need"
o I m laffin

Kit, please - the discussion is actually pleasant for once

>Huh. Looks like they rate tow capacity lower in Murica. The Mazda CX-5 has half the Yurop tow capacity in America.
Its with breakes. If there are no breakes on the trailer its lower.

>pic
Why?

Its absolutly useless without portal axles.

Literally because they can and because they want to, and nobody's gonna tell them otherwise.
FREEDOM, BITCH.

kek

but honestly I don't understand the mental stigma the majority of european o-tists have for just buying something because you want it.

breakover angle

but those two are pavement princesses for rolling coal. you aren't doing much with that big of a truck and those axles.

Easy explaination. Towing is an important capacity of cars in Europe since driving around in a pickup all the time is both unaffordable and incredibly impractical, but we still have stuff to carry around. To accomplish higher tow weights we keep the trailer axle centered on the trailer to minimize the weight pushing on the hitch. This however makes trailers slightly less stable, so we tow at lower speeds (trailer registrations are either for 50 mph or 62 mph here in Germany), which is fine though because it suits the engines better. Also you need additional schooling if you want to tow larger trailers.

Americans however, when they do tow, expect to tow at the same speed that everyone else is doing, so they utilize larger engines and trailers with axles far further towards the rear, increasing load on the hitch and therefore stability, but putting more stress on the frame, so they need larger tow vehicles for the same trailer weight as Europeans. Also towing isn't part of their drivers education in any way, so large tow vehicles serve to make the tow process safer towards driver error.

I can hear the payments trickling from here.

I understand buying something just because you want it to a certain degree - but I start not understanding when it progresses to having a huuuuuuuuuuge fucking truck that is so high up that you can't do anything except mud pits and sand flats because it'll tip over, with a ride so stiff you might aswell be straddling a boulder

Amerilard here, yeah i'm a bit sad about this too.

Hell even our extended cabs (my favorite cab configuration) aren't getting much of the goodie goodies like they used to anymore.

>making payments on a early 00's f250
they aren't expensive mayne

it's literally just for image. a real crawling truck wouldn't be a CCLB like these. It's the truck equivalent of a chav'd out astra with neons and a massive stereo and 19 inch chromies.

I've seen one single cab amarok for sale on finn.no.

but tfw hilux with 3 liter engine is only available with double cab for some reason

it's because nobody buys pickups to be pickups anymore, it''s just soccerfats buying them as SUVs and pigchild-haulers.
a CCSB is the new escalade. get used to the apocalypse.

Those cars are somewhat rare actually, they're the most commonly newly bought cars.
Buying a car new is only done by women or fucktards who can't recognise when a mechanic fucks them over and thus want a car that's still in the guarantee period. Most new cars are company leased as a job benefit or in lesser extent privately leased. And those often are Audis, VWs, Volvos and large Renaults.
The average car in my county is over 15 years old due to retarded taxation and laws making them the cheapest to own. Cars over 25 years old get tax reductions due to being oldtimers and 45 year old ones get exempted. The old cars have a large share of luxobarges, even some retard on benefits can afford a riced bmw. The pm even needed to ask the people to finally buy a new car.
For example, a fiat 500 in Italy starts at €9k, while in my country they start at €16k.
Any car from after feb '98 needs to get a full reinspection for noise and emissions after you swap in a new engine. If it's older you can swap in any engine that was at some point approved (even if that was 50 years ago) and isn't stolen.
Late 90's cars often get comparable fuel mileage to new ones. The ones in the picture of are actually terrible on the highway. Had to drive a Citroën c1 for work, it got 10km/l, while my '97 volvo 940 gets 11km/l. Though I evade the high fuel taxations on it by using lpg.
Some countries like Italy and Spain tax anything over 2.0L, Netherlands fortunately don't.
Work vehicles are practically all vans since we have them in every configuration, including flatbed.
The only ones getting a pickup are usually white trash and gypsies. They're practically all raised models, completely clean, and have tires unfit for off-roading. People who actually off-road get some small 4wd beater like a panda 4x4, or for more serious off-roading a defender 1st gen or an old hilux.

Piaggio Ape master race reporting in.

And its not even available anymore, sadly
I plan on putting the engine they use in those into my old '03, as I'm getting annoyed with the lack of grunt in the old 2.5

Reminds me of the old 2CV trucks. I like it.