/rlg/ - Roguelike General

I can't believe you faggots let the thread die while I was asleep edition I've made like 4 of the past 5 threads

>FAQ and What to Play:

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21725#p293391
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23292&p=310001#p310001
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23300&p=309573#p309573
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I didn't notice it was dying!
I've been busy building my house and stockpiling food. Probably gonna explore around this town next, see if I can locate a lab.

>not splatting a character named rlg for OP picture
1\10 for effort

Are you calling me a faggot?

Hey /rlg/

Gamedev here looking for a roguelike idea. Got anything?

the player enters a dungeon full of monsters to look for a magical item

hmm, quite interesting, how about an amulet?

>tfw no roguelike where you play as a baker and make food for other people
Maximum comfy

* Serial killer roguelike still needs to happen. A genocide and/or spree killing roguelike can exist, too, for maximum edge.

* While it's not as deep as LOTR (which spawned Moria/Angband), maybe a fully-featured Harry Potter roguelike? If it were well-made (not necessarily in terms of graphics, but gameplay), it'd probably be one of the most popular roguelikes ever.

* A truly labyrinthine roguelike, where there's just one floor but everything shifts right before the player's eyes. Not only does the player have to keep track of where they are, but they have to find the hidden [item/exit].

DDA but in a metropolitan city with office towers and massive apartment blocks

Yes, quite wonderful.

It will forever stay "Fresh". Being at -12 C°, it stops being hot the moment you bake it.

>Serial killer roguelike still needs to happen. A genocide and/or spree killing roguelike can exist, too, for maximum edge.
I've thought about bringing that game to life, but I have a hard time seeing how it could be fun or challenging.
I guess it would need to happen in open environments, where you can break in people's house. But people surely don't have traps in their homes? After many murders, police would be more numerous, but are they in people's homes?

>* A truly labyrinthine roguelike, where there's just one floor but everything shifts right before the player's eyes. Not only does the player have to keep track of where they are, but they have to find the hidden [item/exit].
Yes, I like that idea in DCSS's Abyss.

>After many murders, police would be more numerous, but are they in people's homes?

Well, you're a serial killer. You'd initially have a "type" -- if we're going for high edginess, it could be defenseless people like babies, children, women. As you get more heat on you, police would surround your likely targets, and people in general would be wary if they fit your target profile.

So, you'd move on to different "types" to avoid detection, but these would be more dangerous by default: the angry, bitter people; meatheads; skilled martial artists; law enforcement; military/intelligence types; etc. Even "uniques" might be any one of those things but also have security details: congressmen, CEOs, world leaders.

You might start with a small vengeance you need to exact, but you'll eventually just kill people for the sport of it all.

please don't listen to that guy
he's been trying to push his idiot idea for years now

>A genocide and/or spree killing roguelike can exist, too, for maximum edge.
Pretty sure that's most roguelikes.

>he thinks only one person has had the idea for a serial killer roguelike

It's probably the least original RL idea: see . Heck, even PCB and the little remaining flavor in Crawl acknowledge that you're a mass murderer.

But you see the serial killer roguelike is original because your enemies become 'wary' (affecting their behavior in an undefined way).

Also you lose the game if you fail a single stealth check. Everyone knows that's the hallmark of good game design.

>Also you lose the game if you fail a single stealth check.

Nah, that'd be lame. For it to be a roguelike, death would be the only game-ender. Failing a stealth check would alert armed police, who'd get to your location in X number of turns and then try to kill you.

Space Hulk Roguelike. Explore a derelict spacecraft, restore power to old machinery, fight off hungry necromorphs and keep an eye on your oxygen supply. Fill your own tiny shuttlecraft with loot, fly her back home, and buy a larger shuttlecraft that can carry more loot to take out on your next expedition.

>"Who do you think you are, War?"

post progress

>A genocide and/or spree killing roguelike can exist, too, for maximum edge.
For a spree killing roguelike, you could have famous spree killers like Uncornerable Dorner as class selection.

How do I use boulders in DDA? Just smash them with something heavy?

So far I'm thinking of doing a classic roguelike where you are off to defeat a lich and retrieve its phylactery.

post progress

Got the basics set up, now I'm deciding whether I use DF's 8x12 tileset or something else..

ALREADY

There is nothing to see dude.

then why are you shitting up the thread

Alright so pacifist is good thematically
but it's a pretty shit trait gameplay-wise

>the lesser balrog breathes fire
>you die

ebin

Please stop.

>he's still playing sorcerers

Also, yeah.
Fuck.

based

>discussing development of a roguelike
>shitting up the thread

Where were you when the philosophical cunts were bantering?

>development
>no progress
implying implications

It was a death sword, and it was about 10 seconds after having 5 hours of work disenchanted away

Dead thread dead genre

Gnolls and Wu Jian removed from 0.20 stable release.

I can understand Wu Jian because it's boring as fuck and honestly merging it with Uskayaw (another boring fuck) would be the best idea for both, but what the hell is wrong with Gnolls? They nerfed them to shit so they could have an excuse to remove them eventually or what? Or maybe they still think Gnolls are too strong, I wouldn't be even surprised given who the devs like to listen to.

Last char got the luckstone from the mines, but also died there. Where am I headed this time?

>adding things just to remove them

Is there anything more crawl

>a test idea in trunk hasn't made it to stable
FUCKING DEVILS

Yes, instead of improving them they just remove it. Wu Jian is the biggest middle finger considering it started out as an original super play tested idea by a random player and then the devs got their hands on it and neutered it and made it uninteresting.

In an ASCII roguelike, which do you prefer?
>realistic colors (e.g. light brown 'c' for cat)
>old-school colors (e.g. pure #FF0000 'c' for cat)

Such a dumb move. Because if they really don't get implemented by 0.20 (which, based on the crawl-dev logs, will be late may), then there's going to be very little new stuff in the game and lots of BIG removals.

Brand new stuff:
* Barachi
* Scarves
* Maxwell's Thermic Engine
* Poison Vapours and Ignition, two new spells
* Noise bar

... and that's it. Every other small "addition" is effectively just a tweak -- some big (Tomb hatches and mutation potions) and a lot small (TSO changes for instance). And of course, the much bigger changes are removals.

At least some of the more retarded ideas -- dynamic monsters, for instance -- aren't going to be implemented in time.

>dynamic monsters, for instance
What is that about?

I forgot the word used for it and just used the name of git-branch it's under, but it's basically just bezotting.

I'm not even sure what Lasty/dpeg have changed it to be now. At one point, it was, "If a monster is aware of your character, it has a small chance each turn to get perma-mighted (i.e. bezotted) and deal more damage to you."

Sokoban, clearly.

realistic colors with immense care to avoid overlap (ancient ice dragons being practically identical to ancient ice wyrms/lesser balrogs being practical identical to greater balrogs)

>pacifist
Even Illiterate isn't that bad.

Well, you can't have more than 16 colors in most consoles, which is going to become a problem if you want to implement pure text output for telnet play.

Do you prefer small levels or big levels?

Well I can always make a converter, although I guess players will except the same look no matter where they play.

I'll probably go for old-school colors first.

Big if there's autoexplore/mapping spells, small if there's not.

And don't fall for the DCSS trap of "If we reduce floor space, we better increase the volume of monsters on each level to compensate!" You might not realize it, but DCSS is almost a completely different game now from dungeon-27 era. It's become a hack 'n slash.

>removing gnolls
Good, they were useless and dumb as fuck, devs have no clue what they are doing what so ever with new races and their tweaking/messing with apts
>wu jian
I honestly havent tried this god yet, what does he do anyway, weapon dancing and cross training is something i remember but am not sure

>take wu jian's original concept
>neuter the shit out of it
>oops now he's kinda boring might as well remove him
sasuga devil's team

A crawl tale

This is the original Ieoh Jian concept which would become Wu Jian
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21725#p293391

This is the broken creator of Ieoh Jian some months later after the devs have destroyed his creation
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23292&p=310001#p310001
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23300&p=309573#p309573

Space Hulk roguelike would be really really great

Pretty much what happened with VS on a smaller scale

Just use a console. Ship it with Ubuntu Mono or something.

It's not really an roguelike, but recettear totally scratched that particular comfy itch for me with the dungeons and the calm bits inbetween.

I'm using SFML, much faster/easier/better than doing it in a console

>roguelike
>much faster/easier/better than doing it in a console

This will go well.

>Sif Muna accepts your kill

What was the turning point where you realized crawl wasn't the game it used to be?

the removal of darts

EXPLODING

Poor fucking soul. Lasty's down there in that thread saying 'them's the chops, sorry bud', too.

Removal of praying over corpses

item weight removal.

I'm gonna reforge this into a Ninjato and it's gonna be metal af I just know it

How do I become a goodplayer

which gayme?

deathsword is even worse than sorcerer

sorcerer is a shitty and painful class but it has the pretty unique/interesting class feature of being able to cast every spell in the game

deathsword is almost as shitty and painful, but instead of unique and interesting it's "warrior but you care less about getting cool loot"

PCB

>I'm disappointed to hear that you feel hard-used by the dev team as a whole, and I'm sadder for seeing that a thread started on the tavern by someone that is not a dev seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back. You mention feeling unsupported by any dev team member but Brannock, but I know I put a non-trivial amount of effort into trying to help you edit your ideas into something that would be a good addition to crawl, and I know that a number of other devs supported you along the way as well. There came a point where what I thought was the ideal way forward differed from yours, and as I said here, I was personally willing to let it remain in a state that I saw as a promising but flawed design as long as players largely found it fun.

wow what an asshole

also what the fuck does/did wu jian do in its final state anyway? what did they change/remove from the original concept?

step one risk management
step two divedivedive
step three carry fuckign telelevel

Yeah, but you also get to be a */death/ /sword/*

Halls of Mist

what about that one dude here that said not to waste an inventory slot on telelevel

They basically cut off a ton of features - I'm not even sure what it looks like currently: some mutilated half-thing, quivering in a corner.

The crawl team really are a bunch of cocks, generally - they have a very, very firm hold on the creative control of their 'collaborative' project, their tiny kingdom.

the initial concept of Ieoh Jian was all about dancing with multiple floating weapons. you could move into the tile of one of them to switch it for your current weapon on the fly and get access to different god powers
Council also gave you 100% crosstraining for all weapon skills so you could always use all the weapons
and there were powers to do shit like animate all the floating weapons to fight for you, to throw them all like projectiles, etc

among various other benefits, swords got silflanking, spears got the lunge attack, and staves got the polevault. and i think all of them applied slow or paralyze

when crawldevs turned him into Wu Jian they basically removed fucking everything except the flanking/lunge/polevault, which they changed to be always available regardless of which weapon you had

so he turned from the god of animated weapons and tacticool positioning nonsense to the god of silflanking

Play something durable like a Rune Knight Demigod of Hades, stock a lot of consumables and devices.

In particular, you want a lot of potions of cure crit wounds, curing, and later on healing, or *healing* in the endgame. Also early on carry a lot of !speed !heroism and !resist and quaff them every time you fight any kind of unique monster, or any monster you just aren't sure about, carry lots of ?phase door and ?teleport until you can reliably cast them with your class or replace them with reusable devices, carry a wand of stone to mud and wands of water bolt/sound bolt/whatever other bolt will cause stunning to make tough enemies easier to fight in melee by stunning them.

Get a good ranged weapon and shoot stuff when you can't or don't want to get close.

Get a rod of detection or rod of detect monsters asap and detect constantly, never walk into an area you haven't detected after a certain point in the game, always engage monsters on your own terms.

Collect lots of pips of resist and try to resist literally everything because the most likely way you'll die is that something will breathe abstract concepts on you or explode some sort of horrible magic on your face.

that one guy was a.) a shitter, because he was complaining about this immediately after splatting as a result of not carrying telelevel
and b.) an autist, because his reason for not carrying telelevel is "i need these inventory slots to cart artifacts back to town to shove into my museum)

Thank yo uanon

but muh dgamelaunch
but muh netplay

>whatever other bolt will cause stunning
ice bolt, which is much better at stunning than water bolt or sound strike
worse than whirlpool wands but you wont find those for a long time

>I'm not even sure what it looks like currently: some mutilated half-thing, quivering in a corner.
>small abomination

>what about that one dude here that said not to waste an inventory slot on telelevel
he died

late in the game there's so much loot that it doesn't matter and shops only have so much money anyway so that you rake in about the same amount of money each recall no matter what and filling your pack with shop fodder takes like a couple minutes literally.

I am that dude, and I stand by my correct opinion

if you want to have more fun, don't carry tele level

if you want to have less fun, but a higher meaningless winrate so you can flaunt your e-peen on a St. Kitts and Nevis sand-piling forum, go right ahead, loser

why did everyone remove the no_selling option that increased money drops?

it was such a timesaver

Why is Caves of Qud so hard to look at?

>if you want to have more fun, die
Does that mean that killing yourself is the most fun you can have?

Why do babies cry when I look at them?

chris removed it and everyone else is too lazy to add the gold multiplier back in
also i guess it lead to degenerate behavior like getting rich as fuck by digging out all the treasure on D:1 or scumming hydras for a million years
since it was just a multiplier to all gold drops, things that already dropped lots of gold benefitted disproportionately compared to just "playing normally"

I wonder how much gold the hoard would give with the no_selling option

bit disapponted tbqh
i thought president trump would be the kinda guy who would say "FUCK consequences and forethought, im not gonna carry ?telelevel and im going to bomb the shit out of north korea immediately"

PCB ends in death no matter what you do, it's just a matter of whether you choose to accept it. Very metaphorical.

Does the original Angband also end in successful suicide?

>Space Hulk-like roguelike
Hrnng

Keep in mind, though, it DOES NOT have to be based on Warhammer. Actually, I don't think it should. You can snip all kinds of inspiration from it, of course, along with other settings/games, but keep it as your own setting. Most doors remain open that way.

(You could also go the CDDA-route setting-wise, and incorporate just about anything from well-known sci-fi classics and tropes.)

yes

if you ctrl-q after killing morgoth then your tombstone says "died of old age in the town"

Trump had a runesword start where he aggravates everything.

The problem is, he also does 0d0 damage but he doesn't know what key to press that will show him his own character screen.

I have this weird thing where building/fixing/making stuff yourself is perhaps my favourite aspect of roguelikes. (Yeah.. I know. It's not even part of the classical roguelike definition..)
But it's only fun, immersive and engaging if it's realistic; requiring lots of resources and tools, lots of skill, not to mention lots of time.

E.g., I actually like building things in DF Adventure mode more than Fortress mode.

And now there's a chinese tiger coming into town and he can't teleport because he spent all his money buying scrolls of rumor