180 mph cruising speed

>180 mph cruising speed
>no traffic
>no cops
>whole sky to yourself
>no normies to smash into you
>amazing views

Whats your excuse for why you don't you have your pilots license yet, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bPSElw8qEsI
laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/
youtube.com/watch?v=SwKuSMVCliQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4QyjCDmYGE8
youtube.com/watch?v=nyQygLTqDUo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I actually had the opportunity to fly a 172 when I was in highschool. The only thing I wasn't allowed to do was take off or land, but as soon as we left the ground I was given full control.
Got to cruise around the coast and loop the island, then bring her down within 20ft of the airstrip before the pilot let her down. Was amazing and for a while I was really obsessed over becoming a military pilot, but I let that dream die.

It's a dream of mine that I'm not certain will ever come true.

>if you fuck up you die

Enjoy crashing from microbursts.

Yeah just let me land it in my own private airstrip right next to my mansion on the beach

>fucking loner
>stacy thinks you're going to drop a fucking grenade onto her house when you tell her youre a pilot
>cant wind the windows down
>no fly thru movies
>3WHEELS LMAO!

holy shit when will the flight meme die

My excuse?
>Hours upon hours of training to operate machine
>Money
>More money to maintain flying machine
>Need landing strip, can't park that shit in the garage
>Any malfunction or acts of God risks me getting closer to the gates of hell
>Even more money for aviation fuel
>Thread is total b8, so btfo

except I do. Just got my commercial license about 3 weeks ago. Currently working on my CFI

Also to answer your question a common excuse is the price. To get my private, IFR, Multi (IFR, CPL) and single engine commercial ratings I'm in it about 60 grand. Will be worth it in the long run but I am buried in debt at the moment :/

Not in single pistons. You can still glide to safety if the engine fails. It's the turbines that drop like a rock,

I guess more so on the cost. Maybe just maybe if if you get a good retirement plan going and good benefits. Then maybe but say me at 20. How the fuck am i supposed to afford or be able to fly and get my own plane, and pay for the pilots license. Correct me if i am wrong but it really just doesn't seem feasible in this economy. Maybe it was 2000 again it could be but i just don't see it.

Is it true biplanes can have shorter wingspans/wing area for a single wing? You know what I mean. Because you have two of them you can add them together for one big lifteroony.

I want ultrashort lift wings.

wew.

Turbojets still glide decently. Not as good of a glide ratio as a small single engine aircraft. Also the vast majority of turbojet aircraft are twin so the likelihood of losing both engines simultaneously is slim.

>needing an airstrip
>not having the plane equivalent of a lifted truck

youtube.com/watch?v=bPSElw8qEsI

You can get a C-152 for under $60k

I've taken lessons on flying, it's pretty fun once you get off the ground after the hour or so of red tape.

I got a personal loan from wellsfargo (I'm 23). Work on your credit and have a few assets. My interest rate is 10%. Not great but it could be a lot worse.

Because it costs a lot and only autistic fucks get a pilot license.

>if you fuck up you have 10000ft and 5 hours of fuel to correct your error, assuming your error even effects your ability to complete the flight
>if your engine goes you still have plenty of time to find a safe touchdown point while gliding
Flying is fucking easy
>no cops
Do you know how many rules there are? Here's a nice read
laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/

The only thing holding me back is money. That's it.

I started lessons but I didn't realize quite how expensive it was truly going to get.

So instead I decided to take aviation mechanic courses.

also, if you are serious about flying and want to do it for a living, look into ATP. ATP is a school that will get you from zero hours to 1500 and help you land a job in the regional airlines. Takes about a year and a half to end up there and costs a shit ton of money. The main benefit of ATP is the fact that they have financing options. Wellsfargo and Fannie-May have a relationship with ATP and offer loans to students who might not have the best credit.

To anybody who wants to fly but can't figure out how to swing it I strongly recommend looking up ATP. If you are concerned about money and are serious about flying give them a call. I was able to get a private loan and go at my own pace but ATP is a great option.

This.
I'd absolutely love to take flying lessons, but I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world relative to average income. I'm just lucky enough to be splitting rent illegally with others in our flat.

A friend of mine is getting his license atm, he took me around once
>12k€ minimum in fees and lessons
>can only fly alone (without passengers) when you don't have a trainers-license
>180€/h in fuel
>have to drive 45min to the airfield
>have to be in a club and "rent" one of the available planes

I'd really like to get that license but for that money I can rent a wrx and go around a gravel-track in a rally school. Or get a official racing license for tarmac.

>laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/
yeah but that's just canada in general.

>no cops
Fly through the DC ADIZ and see what happens.

common sense still applies.

>Using 'common sense' in regard to laws, rules and absolutes.

Got my CS/MEL+Instrument. No excuse here

> engine is literally late 60s technology
> unnecessary redundancy because "electronics" are shit
> different spark plugs depending on how high you want to fly
> 100LL is expensive as fuck, but engine can't take advantage of it
> shit fuel efficiency 10-12gallons per hour
> questionable reliability
> brakes are literal placebo
> yadda, yadda, "ya ain't need to train for dat, cause it never happened"

private/commercial pilots are just glorified instrument readers

Nah not so much full time flyer to make it my job. But more so on a hobby like some guys who own their own little fishing boats. But yea i would say for full time flyers its actually in some respects cheaper to get into for a full time job, then say a lot of these degrees people get into. But for me as someone say into just as a hobby i personally couldn't see it unless i get into a good retirement plan. But that's just me. Personally cost wise i'd rather own a fishing boat than a plane for a side hobby. Which is a shame cause i think in the economy of the 80s, 90s , and even early 2000s up to 2005 it was viable. I just don't see like that unless we hit a booms times or some shit.

because becoming a pilot and owning a plane is stupid fucking expensive. dad became private pilot (IFR/night rated) and it was more economical to get a big American SUV and drive that every day, not to mention less stressful.

>but I let that dream die.
>said casually, like it never mattered
somehow this is the saddest thing i ever saw on Veeky Forums

>no traffic
Not if you live near a big city with a major hub airport. You better know how to talk to ATC or unpleasant conversations on the ground will ensue.
>no cops
You've never heard of the FAA? If you're lucky, you never will, because they are bastards.
>amazing views
Sometimes.
>180 Knots
Only if you have a tailwind, lol. This time the joke is serious.

Pilot training is expensive. There are a lot of people in between you and an airplane, each with their hand out and all of them want to know how well you can fly and how much money you have before letting you up in the sky.

To get in a car and drive? Not so many people with their hand out.

Turbines are much more reliable than piston engines are. It's rare that one fails.

>finance $100k for no guaranteed job
Just join the Air Force you retard, you'll get paid to learn how to fly.

The percentage of people in the airfoce who are trained pilots is very small.

> Have to file an exact flight plan
> Deviate from it and risk being shot down
> Have to pay to keep your license
> Have to keep flying to keep your license
> Medical checks
> Background checks
> Harsh penalties for flying while impaired

More likely you'll be put in front of a computer in a cubicle doing Powerpoint, if you join the Chair Force. And if you're going to be a wagecuck, private corporations pay better for the same bullshit.

>but I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world relative to average income. I'm just lucky enough to be splitting rent illegally with others in our flat.
Have you considered moving?

its $10k to get a license in burgerland

plus planes are expensive

You don't have to pay the $10k all at once, but by the end of it, yeah, that's about the amount you will have spent.

Too expensive and too much rules.

Hard to beat those benefits tho

And if you want to fly professionally? This is what you have to look forward to:

youtube.com/watch?v=SwKuSMVCliQ

Technically yes, but the aerodynamic sacrifices from two wings (since it's technically more drag in addition to more lift) isn't worth it with how the tech has advanced, otherwise biplanes would still be the standard.

My understanding is that anyone who truly wants to get their PPL in the US can do it easily, it just takes some serious budgeting depending on your level of income but it certainly can be done without living in a cave. Once you get your license, there are flying clubs that often operate on fractional use of the aircraft they have, so everyone just shares and pays a fraction of the upkeep/maintenance costs.

Plus, if you're making more than the average Veeky Forumstard, I've seen mid-way-to-overhaul cessnas go for ~$30-40k

Sure there are expensive facets, but for the dedicated there are absolutely ways to save money.

Personally I'm thinking of getting glider certs and calling it a day at that. drifting through thermals and wind currents above some valleys or mountain ranges all while running completely silent sounds like the most rewarding and visceral flying experience possible, short of flying a jet fighter.

Anything's possible, it's just a question of money and time.

>Implying i don't have my Commercial Single Engine Land rating

I mean, you don't have to be THAT rich. My uncle is pretty well off don't get me wrong, but he put in an air strip in a fucking corn field next to his house. All you need is a flat patch of land and some earth moving equipment.

The expense is everything else.

>if you fuck up you have 10000ft and 5 hours of fuel to correct your error,
yeah, not if you experience catastrophic structural failure. Your ass will be pancaked inside of a minute

My dad has a plane and I rather drive cars. You feel slow af even if it's a jet. It's waaaaaay cheaper to get a gokart and race in a league and way more fun.

>catastrophic structural failure
Which is rarer than a modern jet engine cutting out mid-flight, even if the structure we're talking about is a 60's built 172. If that happens, the pilot was knowingly cutting corners with his mechanic or willfully neglecting maintenance altogether.

I'm going to see a navy recruiter tomorrow. Going to have the navy pay for my college and I will become a pilot.

>Joining the navy to learn how to fly

nigga that's boats n shit

>What are aircraft carriers, which each contain full squadrons of fighters and support aircraft

Good luck bud, Naval Aviation is the way to go
>not wanting to be catapulted to 200 mph in less than 2 seconds from a rolling deck

We've all let the dreams of our youth die, user. It's why we're here. It's why you're here.

>If that happens
not really going to matter why though, is it?

>saddest thing
Nah, not really. I think he made the right choice.
Having been through the military myself, I wouldn't blame him for opting out.

>has everything you just listed
>can land just about anywhere, no need for a runway
Helicopter license > plane license

>no cops

Wait till Chad comes in his F-22.

>incredibly more expensive for training, purchase price, parts, and maintenance

My dream is buying one of those medium-size bi-planes and transforming the inside area into a motorhome-like plane.

So i can fly my house anywhere i want.

I have a feeling the average supermarket isn't gonna be very happy with a helicopter in their parking lot.

thank you for reminding me that 12yo me wanted to become a helicopter pilot
>feels.webm

>anywhere i want
not so sure about that part

You forgot the part where airlines want a min 2 year degree too. What's the matter is there a student pilot shortage again. sure is not a pilot shortage I'm still making less then min wage after 10 years flying waiting for the 80 year olds to die sense they won't retire.

Ya fly a drone.

why not ?

Most cities have ordinances against landing aircraft within the limits. not to mention spraying cars and people with dirt and rocks.

not going on a cute night flight with bae

missing out

helping each other put on the pissing condoms...romantic!

>180 mph cruising speed
k
>no traffic
pic related
>no cops
FAA says hi
>whole sky to yourself
pic related, not to mention restricted air space
k
>amazing views
true

Flying commercially is shit money though...even at the majors unless you've been with them for a while.

Lol airforce is the most priviliged branch .

There's this little window thing you can open in most GA aircraft.

The training is fun though

That job is getting popular son.

the chair force?

Everything's unionized and seniority matters. You'd think that unions could solve the low salary problem, but I guess not. You know there's a gross oversupply of labor when even unions can't do anything to raise salaries.

Basically anything that's even remotely fun has way more people willing to do it than there are jobs for it and they're willing to do it for peanuts.

>one little mistake and you die
>$100k+ to purchase
>$85+/hour to operate

>no traffic
LOL, in your dreams.

>no cops
LOL. Fly over a TFR and see what happens.

>whole sky to yourself
LOL. try flying over anywhere populated and see what happens.

LOL youtube.com/watch?v=4QyjCDmYGE8 youtube.com/watch?v=nyQygLTqDUo

>IMPLYING I'M NOT INSTRUMENT RATED

MY BUD WENT FROM AIRFORCE ROTC TO FLYING RAPTORS AS A CAREER

BOATS ARE ANOTHER THING YOU NEED TO BE A COMPLETE HUMAN BEING, CARS ARENT ENOUGH

lmao

>always wanted to be a pilot
>eyesight is too poor
fuck all of you

Who the fuck made this graph?
Why not have the bars start at the lower end and end at the higher end of the given numbers? This is retarded.

holy shit that looks and sounds cool as hell
you know ignoring the fact people probably died in that

holy shit

The last guy started hanging on to the plane until he realized that was a bad idea.

I'll have some restrictions sure.

>TIME TO LEAVE

everyone survived

Harrison Ford is up there
Watching
Waiting

>Personally I'm thinking of getting glider certs and calling it a day at that.

Same. Getting a GPL is far easier and flying is still lots of fun. Also you can get a sustainer to have a very slow plane if you want.

>prop

TOP KEK

Check out my jet aircraft, you fucking noob.

that's a glider idiot

Do you not see the bitching jet engine on that thing?

I can't help but feel that's cheating just a little bit

It's only used to climb. It's not on during the whole flight.

>but I let that dream die.
It's not that sad because becoming a pilot is hard and a lot of people won't become one

isn't it extremely difficult to get a pilot slot? like you have to basically graduate from the air force academy or something?