What are driving gloves for? what are supposed to be their benefits?

What are driving gloves for? what are supposed to be their benefits?

do you know anyone who unironically does the whole, driving gloves, dice in the mirror, 8 ball shift knob thing unironically

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/apparel/men_s-leather-driving-gloves.html?sku=100039802
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sweaty hands and grip

They were for keeping a grip on wooden steering wheels, but have since become obsolete and are merely hand fedoras.

>do you know anyone
>driving gloves
I just met two last weekend.
Really couldn't believe it.

Tfw my steering wheel has been smoothed down and lost its textured feel because my hands get moist while driving. Still won't go full autismo with gloves

>do you know anyone who unironically does the whole, driving gloves, dice in the mirror, 8 ball shift knob thing unironically

Yes of course I have a buddy who's an 80's action film character

They give you a +5 in driving skill.

used to maintain grip when driving (racing) for long periods of time because your hands get sweaty as fuck

how about the dice in the mirror and 8ball?

what are they supposed to represent?

that you gamble and frequent bars?

They reduce the risk of you getting skin cancer on your hands.

t.truckerfagwithskincanceronhishands

It means you are a man with high testosterone who is willing to take risks to win at life. It shows people you are not scared of facing life straight on, no matter how hard things get.

It's also a reminder of the meaningless of life, and how only those strong enough to stand proud get a say on how they die.

Post pics

>tfw when I have a wooden steering wheel

And I can't find any store that sells some. I don't want to buy online I want to try them.

I have a pair of dice and a 8ball shifter. Don't wear the gloves tho. The 8ball just feels good in ur hands

fag

Who TF holds their steering wheel like this, let alone at 6000rpm?

>What are driving gloves for?
In the Model T days, drivers wore gloves to protect their hands from weather.

>what are supposed to be their benefits?
It depends on the type of glove. I wear thin fabric gloves because I have sweaty hands and don't like the sticky feeling on the wheel. I know I can rub unscented anti-perspirant "roll on liquid" on the hands, but I'd rather not use chemicals if I can help it.

At an Veeky Forums meet, there was someone wearing gloves. And no, he wasn't some BMW driver with both hands on the wheel at the 11am and 1pm positions. He was a normal guy.

>I have a wooden steering wheel
I dislike even a small chance that there could be splinters in an accident.

I hope your driving gloves are future proof. Can't control a touchscreen with most gloves :^) shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/apparel/men_s-leather-driving-gloves.html?sku=100039802

Not that guy, but my touch screens work as long as the object touching is blunt and finger-sized. A sharp stylus doesn't trigger it. Gloves are fine.

Look up dice in the mirror there are a couple origin stories.

They were originally made for gripping steering wheels and helped prevent chafing your hands during spirited driving in cars that lacked powersteering.

These days their only use is to prevent discomfort from having to touch a really hot or really cold steering wheel. Also they help prevent the build up of finger grime on pretty much anything that you would touch in the interior.

Their usefulness is only just and the stigma of being hand fedoras prevents the majority of drivers from wearing them.

Ouch. Would Mechanix gloves from vatozone help?

Its for cars with no powersteering or in the winter if you dont have an heated wheel.

>They were originally made for gripping steering wheels and helped prevent chafing your hands during spirited driving in cars that lacked powersteering.
>These days their only use...
You mean you didn't P/S delete because racecar?
5 degrees caster manual rack swap knuckle mod 64 degrees of lock parallel steering because ackerman is for cucks who don't drift on the street.

Looks like a stickered-on redline.

As for the wheel handling, who knows - only a true virgin autist faggot would know.

>Would Mechanix gloves from vatozone help?
The classic is the thin twill glove that inspectors and others wear when picking up art objects. Those don't shed fibers and their material is similar to poplin in men's button shirts.

The mechanics gloves with those sticky dots are quite generic and made in china. They get marketed for all sorts of purposes from gardening ($1.69 at True Value Hardware) to $1.00 at the Dollar Tree store (no dots). Their furry loosely woven threads shed a lot of material. When you take your hands out, they will be covered with lots of loose short strands. I used them once and didn't like them. They also didn't wick away moisture quickly as my hands were much damper than without the gloves on. My hands were also slimey because when gloves don't wick away moisture, bacteria grow even faster.

Those chinese gloves are made of terrible material. It may be cotton, but the threads aren't treated properly and they were never sized to be good material for weaving into cloth.

Don't laugh, but my temporary substitute are currently dark colored socks. They are 100% cotton for the part that touches the skin and a blend of cotton and polyester elsewhere for strength. They don't leave my hands slimy like those chinese gloves. But not having fingers makes me nervous so I only wear the dark sock on the left hand. My windows are legally tinted so it's not like other drivers easily see I have a sock puppet. Until I find a substitute, I will keep using it.

I went to Daiso, but that store only has the chinese gloves with sticky dots. Those are labeled "driving gloves". They look less furry so I'm still debating if they will work better or not at wicking away sweat. I will say that the usa-made sock is as good as the advettising says. It does wick away moisture.

I have a pair of driving gloves in my glove compartment, you would too if you'd ever slipped with sweaty hands and almost died.

>inb4 hahahaha he's got sweat hands, laugh at him
It's how it is, I'm making the most of it.

cut some holes into the sock

>cut some holes into the sock
If bare sweaty fingers touch the steering wheel, that is not so good. This is why those exercise gloves at walmart weren't much good for me. I bought some of those "Gold's Gym" branded merchandise exercise gloves at walmart. But in the end having fingertips exposed was not desirable for me. The best gloves for me would be ones that wick away moisture, not fall apart and shed a lot of fibers, and not leave my hands slimy with bacteria growth.

>you would too if you'd ever slipped with sweaty hands
Those exercise gloves at walmart cover the palms and part of the finger close to the palm. If you use just palms on the wheel, then consider those. A variety of glove brands are in the sporting goods section of walmart (not the clothing section) which is also conveniently near the automobile goods section.

>exercise gloves at walmart
I already got a pair of good mechanic gloves, I also use them at events that require gloves.

The only acceptable use of driving gloves is racing and open cockpit vehicles. In racing they're lined with nomex. In open cockpit vehicles they're to protect your hands from the weather.

Drive a mountain pass several times and ask again. Especially on cars with heavy steering and alot of feedback.

gay sex

I worried about the rough friction dots on mechanic gloves causing more wear on the soft plastic surface of the steering wheel. So I was ambivalent about buying any mechanic gloves at Harborfreight Tools.

As someone who wears gloves while driving:
> Grip on the wheel exactly when you want it
> Protect your hands from callouses
> Protects the wheel from skin oils; no black grime deposits!
> Keeps your hands warm in winter, wicks sweat in summer.
> Soft patch on the back for wiping sweat off your forehead in summer

But then, I use fingerless cycling gloves and not those stupid full-fingered leather fedora-tier things.
Leather is for fashion, not function.

First time on this board. Didn't want to make a new thread. What is this silver thing?

My phone screen has 'gloves mode' that works through thermal and rubber-faced protective gloves. Both at once, in winter.
And my driving gloves are fingerless anyway.
Your move, luddite.

Idk looks like a magnet?
Maybe to prevent your keys or something from sliding all over the car?

anal dildo magnetic mount

I only see people wearing driving gloves when they have a suade steering wheel or alcantera whatever the material is.

Shit gets dirty and it's a pain in the ass to clean. That's the reason.

DOESNT LOOK LIKE A TESLA

It holds your phone with a magnetic sticker on your phone.

Looks like the base of a tablet or cellphone holder. The glue on those things is pretty tough and I bet the previous owner broke the arm trying to get it out and just left it.

>And I can't find any store that sells some
you could literally buy a vibrating dildo vibrator gloves off ebay, why the fuck can't you just order some online?

Wooden steering wheels and lack of aircon.

Nice glasses, you fucking Arab