Are electric cars really as environmentally friendly as the tree-hugging hippies want me to believe?

Are electric cars really as environmentally friendly as the tree-hugging hippies want me to believe?

no. it waste more resources to make one than it saves.

Electric cars
>green
>zero emissions

Let's think about where electricity actually comes from. Let's think about what materials are mined in order to build a battery the size to power a vehicle.

What about when niggers start actually using solar, hydro, wind, geothermal?

I takes 30000 miles to offset the co2 produced in manufacturing compared to driving a gas car. After that the co2 produced from the power station per mile is trivial compared to an ice. Steam turbines are much more efficient than piston engines to the point where it's silly to even compare them.

That being said the greenest thing you could drive would probably be an 80s Benz burning waste vegetable oil, or soy based bio diesel.

I'd like to see that but I have a feeling that is not the end goal.

Unfortunately wind and solar don't actually produce enough for demands. And hydro energy is not an alternative energy. We can't really make more use of it than we already are. The dams are already built decades ago. We already are on hydro power.

Batteries don't last they corode worse than iron

I actually watched some of Sonic Boom the other day. I refuse to believe this is a kids show. It's pretty damn funny.

yeah steam turbines are effecient.
guess what makes steam turbines turn motherfucker

Nuclear is a good option

I'm amazed they let most/any of the jokes in this show fly, but I'm not complaining.

here in New Zealand there are 5 million people and 2 million cars
with current solar and hydro resources we could power about a million electric cars
but only if they were charged overnight off peak
otherwise we dip into geo thermal power

worst case scenario is a lack of rainfall' that would completely fuck things up
as most of our power is hydro and even under normal circumstances we have to lean on coal a little bit

but that's "outside of the environment"
.eg not where the car drivers are

Steam turbines have about 50% peak efficiency while ICEs about 30%. Plus coal power plants have a much stricter regulations than cars. Moreover, they have other gains v/s ICEs like not wasting energy by having to warm up every time, energy wasted by idling, etc.

sorry was meant for

>overnight off peak
Im no electrical engineer by any means, but something tells me a MILLION electric cars loading up at night would cause a peak as well. Naturally night electricity prices going up as a consequence.

atomic battery
sure...

> Nuclear is a good option
Japan is one of the first countries to use nuclear power. I'd consider them leading experts of the field. Yet there's hundreds of tanks (and counting) being filled with radioactive water left over from cooling the plant, with no purpose and no plan on what do to with them, being stored, which are suspected to leak into the ocean (according to several news sources).

Co2 is an irrelevant pollutant. Mining for producing this shit and big diesel shipping actually pollutes.

I wouldn't do it for environmental reasons but anything that makes the Saudis less relevant geopolitically is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. And electric cars definitely contribute in their own special way towards that.

If the Japanese can't do it right and the Germans have abandoned it, I'd say it's one of those things that even though you can, perhaps you shouldn't.

>google the environmental effects of lead and nickel mining
>are batteries good for the environment?

Lucky trips confirms it
Electrics are a meme

Nope, they just move the blame further down the chain.

In 30 years time there will be a huge uproar over how electric cars are damaging the environment due to the production of their batteries making a larger impact than diesel cars ever did.

I use electric to warm my car in the winter before starting the engine. Then let it run only 5 minutes before driving. You will still have to warm the car if it's electric and that will drain the battery.

Energy waste during idling is a thing of the past now thanks to hybrid cars.