Thinking about getting a foxbody mustang. what should i look out for, and what year/variants should i consider?

thinking about getting a foxbody mustang. what should i look out for, and what year/variants should i consider?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_uejz92M-SM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You should look out for a mustang that isn't using a 30+ year old engine

The design is almost 60 years old now desu

OP, you'll want to google the common foxbody problems. Look out specifically for signs of a twisted frame (again, google this). Rust obviously is a big problem depending on where you live. I'd see if you can find one to see in person. I didn't know just how fucking awful and shitty the plastic interior was before I bought mine, and boy is it bad.

Its not fast but its not slow either. Mine tops out at about 130 MPH and its completely stock.

I could be wrong (google it faggot) but I think 89+ are the better years because it has a MAF instead of the older system so mods are supposedly easier. I have no idea because I'm not planning on keeping mine stock, except for a 5 lug and brake swap

i appreciate the advice. i have my eyes on a 1990 5.0 fastback for pretty cheap. I have no plans to make it my daily, more or less something modify and learn to tinker with. To have fun in

They're ok for daily driving as long as you know its going to rape your wallet because its a gas guzzler.

I haven't gotten too much into mine yet, but it's fairly straightforward to work on. You've got a few computerized systems but its nowhere near as complex as modern cars. I'm currently chasing the cause of a CEL. Its either a bad EGR valve or a bad O2 sensor, judging by the codes I'm getting.

And if you get one and put these ugly lights on it, I'm going to find you and slap the shit out of you. Just like how I want to find the cunt that put these one before I bought it so I can tell him how awful his fucking taste is.

if you squint, it kinda looks like an 86

If you squint harder, you'll realize foxbodys look like ass. Get a third gen instead

It has the same styling as every other 80s shitbox hatcback

Third gen mustangs ARE foxbodies

Think he meant third gen gm shite. He's right though

87-93 fox bodies are a perfect balance of iconic late 80's design and american muscle. its something you simply cant find in other vehicles.

Hideous desu

that would look much better without the spoiler 2bh family

I kind of agree sometimes even though I own a foxbody. There are days where I look at it and think its the most beautiful thing in the world and some days I think it looks like an aborted baby

fox mustangs hit fuel cut at 126mph if you chip it they can usually hit 160mph

T b h they aren't really that's terrible looking, but they're just too bland for me. Especially compared to f bodies

89-93 and you will constantly want to mod it

mindset of every camaro owner they all look tachy af from factory honestly ugly cars 2nd gen excluded and base 3rd gens

*Fix it

theyre stupid reliable cars

It may have been 126. My speedometer needle bounces like crazy so I'm never sure

I'm completely ignorant on the subject because I've never put in the research, but isn't a stick and V8 a rare or uncommon combo on those f-bodies? I feel like I remember seeing someone say that most of the stick shift ones are the V6, while the V8s are mostly autos. I could be wrong though.

yeah i hit my fuel cut in my cougar at the same speed the speedos on these cars are always off

only 305s and v6s could come with a stick and all turd gens you find are absolute piles of garbage and overpriced they also have a way more expensive aftermarket

oh and to answer the question yes manual turd gens are extremely rare

Does the mullet come with the camaro or is it a prerequisite to own one?

Mine doesn't have computerized nothing and it still gets better mpgs than my ram of course the ram weighs twice as much

Watch for rust in the strut towers. Mine has some kind of undercoating but it still has rust in the front passenger frame rail that I really need to address this summer to avoid it getting to the shock tower.

Some shit that's annoying about early ones, they're carbed which is both a blessing and a curse. Easier to tinker with but require tinkering. Mine has a 4 speed SROD which is the number one thing that makes the whole thing feel antique and the only reason I would get sick of DDing it (and the uncomfortable seats). Older ones have 4 lug wheels so Cobra rims are practically the only wheel choice and drum brakes in the back. They can get moving better than they can stop moving but it's pretty light mine was 2975 factory wet curb weight so that helps. Their lightness does let them get twisted a bit by their torque. I've never seen one that has a permanently twisted frame but if they can twist when accelerating if they don't have subframe connectors (many do) furthermore under high torque, the way the rear suspension is set up allows the back tires to turn a few degrees on their own we call that "rear steer". It can be corrected with a panhard bar but few of them have one of those.

Basically it's not the greatest choice for an inexperienced, hotheaded driver to get in and start pushing limits all over the place in traffic on day 1. It IS a good car for someone that is cautious to learn on though, both as a driver and as a mechanic and I like to think most Veeky Forums nerds are still pretty cautious.

It's also an inexpensive car (with a little of the aforementioned carefulness) that it's likely you'll be able to sell for as much or more later if you don't break it too bad. There are plenty of both brand new and junkyard parts, too.

once you buy one you have the awful urge to move to a trailer park where they will bestow you king and your crown is your mullet

>she's THIS assblasted that her car looks like
Holy fuck

honestly any problems that occur are cheaply and easily fixed in the aftermarket

Your capri is one of the things that convinced me to buy my foxbody desu

Agree completely. plus in addition to the feel of the drivetrain at all times (especially with the srod) it reminds me of my truck in that while things aren't built quite as duplo-giant, they're still robust enough that they give ample warning they need attention without breaking, simple enough to figure out what it must be that's making noise and cheap enough that you don't have to limp along on a half broken part until next payday - none of which are qualities of modern tolerance-engineered cars.

Awesome! I love being a taste maker. Hopefully you won't regret it. They're definitely a certain kinda car.

youtube.com/watch?v=_uejz92M-SM

Why are Fox Bodies worth more than SN95 and New Edge Mustangs now? The SN95 is literally a Fox Body with a lot of the problems (like frame warping) fixed.

Why are 69 Hemi Cuda convertibles worth more than SRT8s?

Because they're not some malaise-era shitbox that looks like a Taurus.

It's always good seeing that your Capri is still up and running. I'm the user that bought the 88 LX for $100 at the beginning of the year.

Sorry to hijack a thread, but while I was changing differential fluid I found that I couldn't get the full plug out. Any suggestions? I had already drained the old fluid out by the time I ran into the issue.

How is the 98 mustang gt? I'm checking one out on friday what should I look out for?

Are there any differences between a 1986+ foxbody 5.0 and an explorer 5.0 besides the heads and cam?

yeah its almost like the nips copied the lines

Avoid anything that was owned by a Mexican in Oxnard, CA

problem spots for rust are the bottom of shock tower, floor pans and the bottom of the trunk
if its the shock towers just walk away.
To repair that you need to take the whole engine out

They're OK but could use more power. The 1999 added something like 50HP. 4.6 engines don't have a large performance aftermarket.

Check for rust if you live in a salt state. Front frame and shock towers, rear fenders and under the trunk.

Of yeah, if you've never owned a cheap American car, prepare for Ukrainian interior quality.

Any of you that have foxbodies and 5 lug swapped them, how hard is it? What was the hardest part to find? Which axles did you use?

And while we're on the topic of 5 lugs, what are some wheels that look good on fox mustangs? Mine is gray, almost like but a little shinier.

I saw a post on some Foxbody Instagram page that had these and I thought they looked good, but I want some more suggestions.