Is the Jeep Cherokee XJ generation a good vehicle to buy?

Is the Jeep Cherokee XJ generation a good vehicle to buy?

>4x4
>high output inline 6 4.0l
>boxey styling
>cheap

Seems like it's a great choice.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lCbUZqN8JZ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Chair-uh-Key

It's reliable and easy to work on. It's better than the YJ or TJ in my opinion as far as utility goes.

youtube.com/watch?v=lCbUZqN8JZ0

I'd be surprised if this song wasn't used to advertise XJs.

>why-Jay
>Tee-Jay
>Bailey-Jay

Love mine and like another user said it is reliable and easy to work on , aftermarket is great. But the question is what do you use it for? It isn't fast by any means kind of shit on fuel , especially since there is porbably something you need to fix to get some mpg's back , rides a bit rough. Better than a tj or yj though. I digress , it is a good daily driver if you need the things it offers

I bet that would make a great winter DD.

That it is , only time i got stuck in it was during a flood and the road fell out underneath it. But if you live in a climate like that check these things over for rust good. They are a unibody and rust is an enemy to the jeeps of this era. Even most of that can be fixed by aftermarket though
Pic isn't of mine but looks damn close

I have one and love it for it's simplicity and reliability.

>tfw these are impossible to find not rusted to shit

rust spots on the front bumper but none on the body

What do you guys think of the 2 door ones?

>tfw my xj has only minimal rust on the surface

I have the cleanest XJ come at me. Zero rust. None.

How many miles?

>on the surface

How's that undercarriage looking?

>road tires

Pathetic.

i love mine. but if youre not mechanically inclined i wouldn't recommend it

Cherokees are easy af to work on wtf are you talking about

They're Cooper Discoverers. I got the biggest tires I could get without having to cut the fenders. The Jeep is my daily, so I need tires that I can take on the highway as well as do some light offroading.

If your not mechanically inclined either buy or lease a new vehicle otherwise you probably won't find a better vehicle to start learning to wrench on

Also there is a cult like following on these , anything you could possibly want to do to it , you will be able to find a how-to write up on pirate 4x4 or jeepforum.

>if youre not mechanically inclined i wouldn't recommend it
Literally the opposite.
The 4.0 is easy to work on and there's tons of helpful info and guides online for them because of the massive active community. You can learn so much about working on vehicles by owning an XJ.
>cheap
Fucking where? Rusted out shitbuckets with bad trannies still run $800-$1000 here. Anything rust-free and working is $3500+

mmmm i would love to find a bone stock low mile rust free cherokee in some old ladies garage that rarely sees the light of day for sale

I've got a question about mine.

98 with just over 100k. I live in DC where Summer's can be around 95 during the day. I DD mine and I can't for the life of me run AC in the summer or it shoots from 210 to 290 in 5 seconds. When I don't have the AC on, it can run maybe 220-225.

I've had the coolant flushed and replaced, put a new water pump in, going to get the head gasket checked out. Does anyone else deal with overheating? Is it just something to get used to with the big i6? My next options are A) one of those bigger radiators, B) cutting vents in the hood/bonnet cowl, C) new motor.

If I go with C and get a 4.6 stroker, would I increase the chance of overheating? Should I stick with the 4L? I'd much rather spend the 5-7k getting it fixed than trying to find a new beast

>he has an XJ with working AC

hm , I typically only have heat problems in 4x4 crawling around on hot days. I would change the thermostat and then the rad if the thermostat doesn't make a difference.

Yeah first thought was that the stat was stuck, so we took it out. I've been reading about people using as low as 165F thermostats to keep it cool, but how does that help? Doesn't it just start the water pump at a lower temperature?

Blows cold, but not long enough to enjoy it before the fuel gets to boiling. Got it at a government vehicle auction, I guess they keep the good ones for themselves

I believe he is implying that you will have to work on one, at some point, if you do get one. For some people, working on your car in any capacity is a non-starter.

the thermostat opens at that temperature and starts circulating. If you live in a climate with winter DO NOT use a 165 , put in a 195 or else you will be cold all winter. Did you actually test it by boiling water to see if it opens ? Thermostats are cheap change it for peace of mind sometimes they seem to act normal but are fuckered

Get a WJ. Has everything this has but more comfy. And a 4.7 v8 option if you need it.

>high output inline 6 4.0l
How is a 190hp 4.0l i6 high output? My 2.8l na i6 makes more than that.

I have both , yes the WJ is more comfy. I like the WJ but I LOVE my XJ

225ft.lb torque in a lightweight SUV
In 2WD these feel like they're rolling up the asphalt behind you.

Love my WJ, but the XJ is a better buy for sure. Also when people say the 4.0 is bulletproof they aren't lying. 220K on mine and no work ever done on it

I have the option to get a 1999 WJ Laredo select trac @ 135k miles with no working AC for $1900..possibly even less.

Shall I go for it lads?

$3500 for an SUV is dirt cheap. New crossover shitboxes with a V6 are like $35000 off the lot for a base model.

AC is probably the compressor which is a $600 fix. Don't fall for the "just needs a recharge" meme.

I'd do it myself though. Who knows. Could be a AC clutch relay or bad compressor or leak

I feel you. Where I live, used cars are about 1.5-2x as expensive as they are in other parts of the country because everything rusts away to nothing next to the ocean. If I see something reasonably priced, it's too good to be true.

Got a '99 that just ticked over 243k
XJ is love
XJ is life

yes do it i'd like one myself eventually

xjs are fucking awesome

There's a local one for sale with low km but it has a 2.6 l V6. Is that still worth buying?

>v6
no.

WJ's are ugly tho.

Shut your whore mouth, Steven

Check your local junkyards and parts stores for part availability first. These things are getting extremely rare anywhere with rust.

Implying it really matters when you're driving shit that's 15+ years old.

It's the same powertrain. Who tf cares

nice excuse poser

Atleast he admits it.

Better then some mall crawler shit.

^ I'm sure you're that guy though. ^

Lies mine rocks 31-10.5-15 stock height only rubs when you turn hit bumps or drive on straight smooth roads.

Last one stock height ran 33-9.5-15 with generous hammering and cutting.

What exactly is a mall crawler?

Because I like having a SUV for daily driving and keeping it clean because it's the only thing that doesn't get stuck in the snow. And trucks are stupid expensive and not as comfy.

Hey now frendo, I put a 2 inch lift on it, can't you tell?? I actually love the look of the stock XJ, and I intend to preserve that on mine. I do rock crawl with it and go camping, just nothing crazy.

x4
Worthless if you're not wheeling, unless you get a full time case you shouldn't use it on the road ever, and on top of that you're heavier and have more components to worry about wear and tear on.
>>high output inline 6 4.0l
The 4.0 is a great engine, but the H.O. badge is rather misleading, you're getting 10-20 more horsepower over the prior renix models
>>boxey styling
*boxy. They do look great, but why not stop being a homo and buy an MJ instead?
>>cheap
Quite correct but keep in mind if you have 10 Chrysler XJs for sale nearby for 2000-3000 pesos you're looking at quite the gamble on upcoming and even masked issues

It is a great choice, if you're willing to get your hands dirty from time to time.

Just cut em

>tfw no restored vintage jeep and gf to go camping with

It would pain me too much to cut into my XJ. Same reason I don't have a snorkel.

nice articulation brah

I am thinking of picking one up for my cabin. What do you think if using a cherokee to tow? Just like cars under 3k pounds on maybe a aluminum trailer. Will it make it up a gravel hill pulling a car on a trailer? Or am i better off getting a diesel?

I hear Cherokees from the 80s / 90s are generally good but Grand Cherokees are often lemons. What's the story behind this?

You guys should check out DavisAutoSports in Virginia. A lot of their XJ's look like mall crawlers, but the simply restored ones are clean as heck.

I've heard customer service is god awful there though

I used to tow a tent trailer with my cherokee, no problems. That engine has a good amount of torque, and I believe 1991 and older cherokees use the japanese at4 auto transmission which is known for reliability.

AW4, it's the 4WD equivalent to the A340e trans found in the LS400

Cherokees from the 80's are actually jeeps , cherokees from the early 90's are chrysler but chrysler didn't fuck with jeeps formula yet. Cherokees 97 plus with the style change have been fucked with by chrysler but are still mostly jeep formula. Grand Cherokees are pure chrysler developement

Even towing 3k pounds with a cherokee is kind of scary i have heard. Cherokee is so light , trailer should have brakes as well and doing highway speeds with a trailer is dangerous.
Tent trailer or small utility trailer would be fine , even a small boat but i would stay away from the maximum weight allowed

The 97-on XJs are the most reliable, none of that French fuckery like on the earlier models

hah you wish , 0331 head , google it. Early cherokees are boss , except v6 model which was one year i believe

>0331 head issues
Good thing I have a 97-99 then
>early Cherokees are boss
Except they're not, Google Renix issues 4.0