What kind of Dashcams does Veeky Forums use? Looking to get one

What kind of Dashcams does Veeky Forums use? Looking to get one.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/VIOFO-A119-Capacitor-OV4689-Cmos-Lens-2K-HD-1440p-Video-Record-Car-Dash-Camera-/282123159607?epid=503613568&hash=item41afd9c837:g:HaAAAOSwtGlZGXd5
amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2TCY0O/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LVDVG1JBPA0
amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/Cobra-Electronics-CDR-840-Drive/dp/B00K7ZN0UA
youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3alwU9FJg
rate-driver.com/wi/501wvv
dashcamsaustralia.com.au/shop/dashcams/blackvue/blackvue-dr650s-2ch/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Spytec A119

I've had this dashcam for half a year, it's really good.

I have an A119 (original, not V2) on my front windshield, quality is just fucking orgasmic with 1440p. Fuck the A119s at only 1080p, looks way worse, and costs more. Hard to find the original A119 anymore but it's good value. Just don't buy it if you plan to run parking mode.

I just added a rear A118C2, it has pretty good quality but fewer features, and not quite as good as the A119 because it's again only 1080p.

I highly recommend the A119 unless you need parking mode. Parking mode is a bitch to deal with, honestly. It can definitely be worth it but I just try to park in safe places where it's hard for people to hit me.

Whatever you get, make sure you get a HIGH ENDURANCE microSD card, the regular ones shit out really fast in dash cams.

>A119

I see the 1440 one on Amazon right now for $90.
I'm really trying not to go over $60. Also this camera is going to be running all day in a car with no AC so its going to get hot.

That's fine, just don't get one with a battery. The ones with batteries tend to explode or stop working in heat.

ebay.com/itm/VIOFO-A119-Capacitor-OV4689-Cmos-Lens-2K-HD-1440p-Video-Record-Car-Dash-Camera-/282123159607?epid=503613568&hash=item41afd9c837:g:HaAAAOSwtGlZGXd5

There's a A119 for $78. Trust me, you're far, far, far better off putting the extra $20-30 into a camera now than getting hit by someone who drives off and you can't catch their plate because the video quality is so bad.

That is true. This is the one i was looking at before making this thread.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2TCY0O/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LVDVG1JBPA0

>tfw I live in a big city with shitty drivers

Wtf am I doing, I need to buy one now.

DOD-Tech LS473W x 2 in each car (front and back). $300 CAD each.

I'm contemplating getting some Thinkware F50's for the side view but it would be better to get something with 60FPS 1080p, so I can at least see things slowed down on software, going to be another expensive investment though. Will also need a battery backup.

Definitely don't get that. If you can't be convinced to get an A119, get the A118C2, it's far better than anything else anywhere near its price.

>A118C2
That one has really crappy reviews. So you said you had the V1 model of the A119? Cause i see the V2 on amazon and i got prime so i want to kind of stick to amazon.

C2 has crappy reviews but I think it's because a lot of people don't know about it, when you get a product with only 20 reviews on amazon they're often bad reviews because 90% of people who get a bad product want to shit all over it, but only 1% of people that get a good product bother to write a good review.

If you want to go for the A119 get whatever comes from a good seller and has prime, don't waste your time with the GPS module, get one without it. There's no need for it. Provides no value unless you have autism and are obsessed with data for some reason.

>Also this camera is going to be running all day in a car with no AC so its going to get hot.

This was one of my concerns before buying the A119 because I live in Texas. I have my A119 running on constant power even when the car is parked under the scorching sun and it has been running fine so far.

I didnt plan on a GPS model anyways. I'll just wait till next payday then.

Yeah its alot hotter where you are from me.

I just bought a Yi. Still waiting on the memory card but I'm excited to use it. Really hate how everyone in my family thinks it's stupid to get one because I shouldn't be in an accident in the first place. It's not just for accidents but it would be good to have it for that too. Just because I drive carefully doesn't mean the other dickheads do.

Just got this. I like it so far, its discrete, you really wouldn't notice its there from the outside
amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a G1W and it's garbage. It has survived several years in Texas heat though so that's something.

Get one of these - amazon.com/Cobra-Electronics-CDR-840-Drive/dp/B00K7ZN0UA

Had it was 2 yrs now with the first version, its top notch on auto focus and picks up well at night. Catch em on sale for about 40 bucks.

I have this as well. nobody can tell I have it, some don't even realize when they are inside the car. My only wish is it could start up with the LCD turned off but it's no big deal.

Video and sound quality is great.

A119 in the front, G1W-C in the rear.

Hate how have to set the time for the G1W-C though. Can make syncing a bitch.

youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3alwU9FJg

Just bought Aukey DR-1. So far so good, I like that it has capacitors so its going to be ok in the hot weather sitting inside. The night quality is pretty decent too. I got it for like 50 bucks when it was on sale on amazon

I'm thinking about getting a a119 (currently have a g1wc) and doing this exact setup. But really what's the point of having a rear cam anyway?

I just wanted to make use of the G1W-C and was thinking that if someone hit me from behind or while parked it would be nice to have some potential footage. Plus I like fucking around making driving vids. Much more coverage of environment.

ANything less than $100 is not gonna get you the quality you think you want. Just get A119 or A119S; they are best in their class.

And for the record, they use capacitor instead of battery that's why they can stand the heat.

5 years ago sure you'd be right, but 1080p video is cheap these days.

What do you guys think about just mounting a GoPro to the dash and calling that a "dashcam"? I could just hit record and stop recording whenever I get in and out of the car. As annoying as that would be, I could set it to sync with my NAS when I get home over WiFi and it would have decent picture and microphone quality.

more expensive, more annoying to deal with, theft target

K1S

Those pieces of crap go out of focus when they get hot and barely work otherwise. Avoid like plague.

i was out for a drive yesterday and got some footage of some fag in civic driving recklessly. what can i do with it? will the police actually accept it?

snitch general

You can submit it but i doubt much will come of it

If I catch someone blatantly running a red light can I send that in? I don't mind most things but running a red light is seriously fucked up

I would like two high resolution front and back cameras with parking mode. What do you guys recommend?

>cams that are suction cupped to the windshield are illegal in texas but you can buy them at walmart for $35

Using go pro hero 5 black not the best dashcam but takes good footage.

I've got my A119 hardwired in and it's fantastic

you can kinda see it through the window there

>what can i do with it?
You can make a snippet and put it up at some driver rating site such as rate-driver.

rate-driver.com/wi/501wvv

Picture of lying woman driver. She backed up on a busy roadway in order to use a parking spot that she had passed by. But there were cars behind her so she hit one that had stopped. Since her rear was hit, she was going to lie and say the guy behind her hit her. She got out and was accusing that guy of hitting her, but he told her had had dashcam footage. So the dashcam prevented the woman driver from scamming him with a rear end collision to her BMW.

It's why you need a rear dashcam too because people will simply say they didn't hit you.

You know, you still have the blue packing sticker over your lens.

lol

What about the other nine percent

I'm glad my license plate is not listed there.

t. BMW driver

this is damn good cam and is discrete as well. get the newer A119S too.

I've never heard of the police issue a citation for typical stuff suction cupped to the front windshield. The law must be there to provide a technicality for law enforcement.

Can confirm the A119S is top tier.

How many counterfeiting companies for the A119 series are there?

Some chinese companies will keep on selling defective product returns until they manage to dump it on a customer that didn't use a credit card dispute to return it. They treat the company as a cash flow device.

I can assure you that the ones on Amazon are legit. God knows about other sources.

Question for you dashcam users who also pay others to service their car.

Have you ever caught a lube monkey, mechanic, etc breaking something and hiding it?

For fun I also like to put the dirty eng and cabin air filters in front of the camera with my flashlight behind to show them the condition if they care to watch the tape.

>I can assure you that the ones on Amazon are legit.
There was a seller of proctor & gamble Duratowels by Bounty which was counterfeit chinese product. Amazon has also had its own problems with fakes product reviews from verified purchasers run by reputation management entrepreneurs.

>Have you ever caught a lube monkey, mechanic, etc breaking something and hiding it?

I use the selfie stick to use the smartphone to look at the oil filter before I take it to the oil change shop. I use only full synthetic oil along with premium fram Ultra oil filters, so it can be tempting to them to not change the filter so that they can keep the profit. I take the hoe and gently scrape a spot on the filter so I know it's the old one even if they wipe it clean to make it look newish. So far, I've always gotten new fresh filters and they are all Ultra as paid for at the walmart oil tire service center.

I'm seeing 2 different sellers on Amazon. SpyTec and Viofo. Which is the real one?

They're both buying from the same chinese company and rebranding

>I can assure you that the ones on Amazon are legit
As things on Amazon go, there are tons of copycat ELM OBD2 type readers. Some of the amazon sellers claim one version but the one you get is the older version. Some even sell DOA units.

So just because it is on amazon doesn't mean you don't get counterfeit or deliberate bad sellers.

I have the viofo, it's been good so far. Just make sure your dash doesn't have a lot of glare because all dashcams are sensitive to it.

I got mine for $65 shipped on ebay - it was supposed a "refurbished" one, but fuck it, it was cheap enough to experiment and get my feet wet using dashcams.

So they're just basically vetting the supplier and filtering out the non-functional ones.

DoD LS360W

If the stock power cable goes bad on you, it uses the same connection as a PS3 controller charging cable.

I'm not gonna cheap out on my dashcam, so I'm saving up 400 bucks to get a DR650-GW system.

You.... you mean a USB A to USB Mini cable, like pretty much anything?

>What do you guys recommend?
What good is providing a recommendation when you'll simply throw away any advice?

Every time I look at /g/ I get the strange feeling that I look at that board the same way my 90 year old grandfather looks at me when I'm using a smartphone or fixing the settings on his TV

You don't know the circumstances. They might be about to poop and need to get moving or The Spice Will Flow.

True Story: I was heading home and some other woman driver was speeding. Hey, speeding on the road towards my neighborhood going thru other neighborhoods. Hey, she's turning left at the road to my neighborhood, but she ran the stop sign. Mumble grumble these drivers mumble. Another stop sign and she runs that. What?! That's going right to my neighborhood. Now I speed up to try to catch up to her so I can complain to her about the stop signs. I of course stop at the stop sign.

She's pulled over the side of the road somewhat tight against some bushes. The car thus blocks and gives her privacy. She's pooping. Okay, now I know why she ran the stop signs. She was desperately trying to get home to poop but didn't make it.

I drive on my way because it's my policy not to watch people when they're pooping.

Usb c is superior it's not 2005 anymore

>Usb c is superior
Until its connectors arc due to too much current in them.

My MINI 806 has served me well so far. The company has terrible QC so make sure you get one that is good. Even on the one I have, the focus is slightly off.

G1W-C. Date keeping resetting and the torch comes on for no reason so I had to tape it up. Otherwise it works.

STOP BUYING SHIT CABLES

It's because the usb-c standard allows up to 100 watts which is a lot of amperage in such a small connector. If people have greasy fingers and dirty up the plug's connectors, over time, that can dirty up the female receptacle's connectors. That's how the hot spot problems start. The old usb 3 standard of 5 volts and 1.8 amps max had too low a voltage to make a sizzling arc from dirt. But usb-c uses 20 volts and 5 amperes max and the voltage is finally just barely high enough to make hot spots from dirty connections.

Was she hot?

I use a BlackVue DR650S-2CH, It's also connected to my battery so it is on 24/7 and it has dual cam so if some nigger trys to key my car or hit into it i have front and back view of what happend.

dashcamsaustralia.com.au/shop/dashcams/blackvue/blackvue-dr650s-2ch/

>it has dual cam so if some nigger trys to key my car
Does that camera actually scan down the sides of the car? Probably not as that needs external cameras.

Don't know how lawsuits go in your area, but here, the black vandals always plead innocent even with camera footage. It actually is pretty difficult to convict because the camera footage must show the side of the car with the damage visible as the scratch is being created. If the scratch isn't shown being created, the dindu simply says he was touching the side of the car and there is no law against that. The burden of proof in court is pretty high, so that's why almost no one gets convicted. The only people that might accept such circumstantial evidence from your camera would be HOA board of directors. They are more practical minded than city politicians that have to worry about discrimination claims interfering with their next election or pension.

>Was she hot?
The poop was steaming hot.

J/K. I didn't hang around to watch. As soon as I had the slightest idea of what was going on, it was like my mind went NOPE NOPE NOPE and I immediately left. I can't even remember what she looked like since my mind went ehhhh WTF nope nope. I drove off. Just moments after my brain shut down and I left, I then realized why she was desperately speeding thru the stop signs.

AFAIK Gopros don't have a dashcam mode, and that's an expensive camera to use as a dashcam. A Gitup camera has dashcam mode and is significantly cheaper, probably a better choice.

Sam's Club currently sells a GoPro package. This one has a headband onto which the GoPro is mounted. It can also be used like a 10MP camera. I guess this is for hikers and people who have no helmet. It has wind noise reduction and some other features in it. As with other GoPro products, it has a boutique price.